Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Alot of crying about this scheme. I always recycled but this is unfortunately the way its going to be so suck it up, it ain't the end of the world.

You have 3 options

1. Use the RVM and get your deposit back
    2. Pay the deposit, chuck your recycling in your bin, get no deposit back
    3. stop buying plastic containers and cans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

So I'm off for my yearly prostate exam, oh I know! I'll bring my cans and bottles. My 2.25 voucher can be my reward for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Differing grades of half arsed then, such fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

At the start of the thread, all the fanboys for the scheme were on saying how we had copied the same system as Germany, but every day it becomes more and more obvious that we didn't, instead we re-invented the wheel.

If the wheel we had re-invented was super duper, they should then had pushed it out to all the locations, but no. Different manufacturers, each which their own quirks, slightly different implementation in different retailers. Which would be excusable in a large jurisdiction, but in Ireland, it's not exactly a gargantuan task to roll out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It aint the end of the world and of course there are options -all of which come with their downsides.

1. Use the RVM and get your deposit back. Numerous examples on this thread of that not being as simple as it sounds.
    2. Pay the deposit, chuch your recucling in your bin, get no deposit back. If enough people do this then then we are told we will not reach our mandated collection targets. DRS scheme is a failure - what happens next?
    3. Stop buyin plastic containers and cans. This currently is difficult to do however its probably the best outcome as it will put pressure on manufacturers to come up with more sustainable packaging. There were other ways to do this thought.

However - the project management of the roll out of this sheme has been an absolute sh1tshow never mind the work done in the first instance to review how best to enhance recycling rates in this country.

They've essentially torn apart a scheme that significant numbers had been engaged with without ANY thought for the implications of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Just a suggestion, you could walk or cycle to your nearest RVM rather than drive if you were concerned about the environment?"

Your last sentence there strongly suggests you are one of the modern urban Greens.. completely oblivious to the reality of the disparate level of such facilities in rural Ireland. Only when you take your very occasional weekend break will you discover where the hell do I bring these things. And then you are very unlikely to be toting them round on yer bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Gary_dunne

I hope that this is a facetious comment. I fully understand some people's annoyance with the scheme, it's far from perfect and plenty of teething issues to be sorted out.

Surely if you've been recycling and disposing of your litter in an appropriate way previously you're not just going to start dumping them wherever you want?

Post edited by Gary_dunne on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If all the houses in one housing estate order their delivery for arrival during the same window, sure, if 3% of the estate do it, not so much

A bit like your public transport argument it only works if lots of people get on board with the idea. If a bus is only ferrying 3 or 4 people it's not as efficient

Home grocery deliveries usually cost around €8 on average, that's the equivalent of 32 cans or bottles over 500ml going into the recycling bin instead of the RVM so somebody who can afford one can probably afford the other

Not everyone is in a position to walk or cycle to an RVM that may or may not be working

Again, policy should not be set on what suits minorities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,321 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's all in the barcode, no additional magic...

https://www.tiktok.com/@declankeogh98/video/7339937301084081441

Again, policy should not be set on what suits minorities

what an ignorant comment

we've already shown that the vast majority of people already recycle.

we then find out that even after recycling a lot of what we recycle finds its way to landfills.

this policy punishes the VAST majority of people who already recycled, and doesnt in anyway target those who did not.

i will be highly surprised if it changes the behaviour of those who already littered with these items

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

I’ll do as I wish since I am being unfairly charged for this nonsense

This is where shopping is going, at least in certain areas. I said my example is a "future" not a now.

3% of people shopping on line takes a significant amount of cars off the road. Better still if the vehicles delivering the shopping are electric. It's a complete NO BRAINER as the benefits to the environment. With the advancement of the scheduling systems that these shops use (amending cost per delivery to better fit in with locations of other deliveries etc etc, enticing people from the same areas to seek deliveries around the same times etc (these are all software solutions) you can see why the benefits to the environment aren't even close to being achieved yet.

If you are going to tell me the opposite - that online shopping in a manner such as the above is WORSE for the environment than the alternative you had better be able to back it up - and you cant.

And if they can afford the other what happens the statistics, which is essentially what this DRS is all about - collection rates.

Not much good if a larger percentage of the population decide, for one reason or another, to carry on as they were. You have a complete white elephant of a system in place and aren't getting anywhere near what you had designed the system to do.

I am not saying to set policies to suit minorities but at least think about all use cases and try and bring in as many people as possible to whatever you are trying to achieve.

The vast majority do the right thing already - it's the minority that don't - you've stated that yourself.

If you can't see the amount of people this scheme has annoyed, in an area where you are hoping for mass uptake, youve missed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Just found out today when you get the receipt back from the machine you can't even use it online at that particular shop.

You have to go in and after asking the butcher for a pound of cooked ham and the sweetshop section for a quarter of wine gums, you pay 2 punts and 10 pence with the voucher.

It is 1984 isn't it?

• I am and also have been a Dublin dweller, born and bred, but I can see very very clearly how difficult it could be for rural dwellers. Plenty are in circumstances where they don’t drive. They are not an insignificant cohort. You have to have a minimum level of sight, and many, whilst functioning perfectly ok, just can’t drive because of macular degeneration. I have a friend in this position, but there’s tons of other people who for one reason or another depend mostly on online deliveries, And no, not every wants to cycle dangerous rural roads or walk where there’s not even a footpath. Green Party supporters are far too urban based and we are a country divided by about one third urban and two thirds rural living, with maybe a third or so living in a place where this scheme is totally impractical without own transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

My recycling days are done. And I won’t be using my black bin. They can use my funds that I have paid on items to clean up after me. This new charge has chances my behaviour but not for the better

mod - threadban. Take the trolling somewhere else.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

The same poster who continuously makes all these broad sweeping generalisations about what "most people" and "vast majorities" do, but provides no sources for these various claims, will then say "we have no proof of that" when challenged about extra car journeys, etc.

Logical thinking, my ass. Logical to them = it works fine for me, so let's ignore the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Interesting, I see the country code on the old one is 501 (UK) while the new one is 539 (Ireland). So they were just using a UK code before now.

Are you trying to suggest that the vast majority of people don't shop in-store and won't be bringing their recycling with them on the same journeys they use when doing the shopping?

In fairness I've asked on numerous occasions for proof of some fairly wild accusations being made here and never had a solid bit of evidence given in response

• Advertisement

3% of people shopping on line takes a significant amount of cars off the road

3% of people do their grocery shopping online, not everybody who goes to the shop drives and not everybody who does grocery shopping online can drive

So it's unlikely to be a "significant amount" of cars off the road if it can't even take 3% of the cars off the road is it?

It's a growing number, its reduces the amount of car trips and is a much more environmentally friendly way of shopping.

National policies should be promoting it, not making it more difficult.

One thing we do have evidence of is your 7843 posts of utter drivel.

i will be highly surprised if it changes the behaviour of those who already littered with these items

In every other country that introduced a DRS recycling rates increased, what makes you think it won't happen in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Also, according to this poll, 1 in 5 Irish households grocery shops online.

3% my ass.

Honesty, I'm done talking about it at this stage. I have full on green fatigue at this point, and this scheme is the straw that broke the camel's back.

My decision is made - I won't be participating in this scheme for reasons I've given earlier, and my bottles and cans can go to landfill now, as far as I'm concerned. They can use the extra money they're extorting from me in both lost deposits and increased bin charges to dispose of them.

Apologies, it was me that brought the 3% figure into it - thanks for the correction - makes the logic being applied by one poster even worse.

So that's 20% who will have to return the 'return' bottles by either car,bus or other transport and all this increase emissions. Its a load of bottleocks

Because we have a well established process in place already whereby bins are collected from ones place of residence, are convenient and people are used to using that system.

You only have to look at your own attitude and that of some more that seem to say, well look, if you don't like it, keep using your recycle bin for these items, without appreciating that if that happens in high enough numbers (and there's plenty on this thread saying they will continue to do it) then the DRS scheme is a massive failure.

Yes it's better than 0%, that wasn't the original statement though

Should the original statement have said 3% of people shopping on line takes more than 0% of cars off the road I would have agreed

• Advertisement

you only have to look at a few posts above to see a poster who sees this extra cost as their right to litter, because they're "now paying for someone else to pick up after them"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement