Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Dutch don't have a new government yet.

Wonder what these are

A good start. But there have been too many false starts based on rhetoric that just wasn't matched by action.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭josip

What's the reason for the increased aircraft losses in recent weeks? Are the Russians being more aggressive and flying closer to the front line or has the loss of AWACs eg. A-50s, meant that it's more risky to fly?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Are these losses confirmed by Ukraine? These days with the information war and capacity to generate AI imagery, I'm a bit slow to believe anything I see, from either side - till it's acknowledged by the other. And even then, you'd wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Wouldn't that depend on the source of said obituaries?

But yes, supporting evidence if valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Roald Dahl

For some time I have been hoping for Crimea to be taken back and the Kerch Bridge to be sent to its final resting place as a diving attraction on the floor of the Black Sea.

The 2025 Biden administration and its allies then hold a very large conference in the city of Yalta where the future of a dismantled and administered Russia is agreed upon; extensive lists of global arrest warrants for war crimes and crimes against humanity issued, destruction of all military installations, confiscation of all nuclear raw materials, closure of all Russian "embassies". That would be a nice start.

It continues with Medvedev and Lavrov and dear Vladimir Vladimirovich himself bellowing and snorting with impotent fury while threatening the world with their hollow, rusty tubes.

Back to reality, it is very much time for the free world to get its act together and crush the Vatnik for once and for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Mike3549

I saw a tweet 2 weeks ago that Russians managed to get the air superiority in some parts of eastern Ukraine. And then boom, su34s and su35s started dropping like flies. But out of 9-10 planes there's only like 3 video evidences or confirmations fighterbomber, which is/was reliable Russian source. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a little bit of propaganda from UA side

• Registered Users Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Spent the weekend in Budapest and despite all the government propaganda posters claiming 99% of Hungarians oppose the EU (on the grounds of Migration, "Gender Propoganda" etc.) there's definitely a feeling in the air that their own Maidan moment might not be that far off. There was a fairly large scale protest against Orban's regime on Saturday and the locals I spoke to utterly despise him and the scale of corruption there would give Bertie Ahern an erection.

What I hadn't realised was that Hungarian citizens who don't live in Hungary were given an electoral mandate by Orban's party since the 2014 elections and that more than 90% of this voting block, who are predominantly made up of the country's diaspora in neighbouring countries like Romania, Slovakia etc, vote for Orban's Fidesz–KDNP party.

Now, all that said, I know Budapest (and the better educated urban areas in general) wouldn't be the areas where the Fidesz party gather their support from but with his power base is so heavily reliant on people that don't even live within the country's borders, it would seem to me that Orban's grip on power in Hungary is nowhere near as strong as the election results would suggest.

Incidentally, we happened to be staying quite near the Russian embassy and this memorial for Navalny at the entrance to the Metro station directly in front of the embassy was growing by the day as we were there. Every time we passed by someone seemed to be adding some flowers or lighting candles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

I'm just surprised by Macron, his words have come depressingly close to appeasement at times, this is unusually tough talk from him. I wonder what prompted it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Jesus, can you imagine if the GOP Irish diaspora in the States had votes here...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We'd have been ruled by Sinn Fein since the mid eighties if not before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

oh to be a fly on the wall in the russian operations room

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Seems like an outdated concept to have such a high price asset if its that vulnerable , better to develop a sophisticated drone for 1/10th the price

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I would say there are many such assets in big militaries. Aircraft carriers for one. Even main battle tanks are vulnerable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I see it as a positive in general, attacking a country (for good or bad reasons) is getting more expensive and the advantage is falling to the defender , there ought to be less war if it gets nose-bleedingly expensive and disadvantageous.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

With EU collective defence being so nascent, it would (IMO) be more likely to be some kind of cooperative mission under aegis of NATO between countries that are willing.

Indeed, you'd just hope that whatever kind of coalition is formed, it'd have the legal mechanisms to react to provocation, or indeed outright attack. And numbers wise, it'd have to be something quantitative too: a few token troops hanging around the Kyiv suburbs sampling the pastries would add nothing - it'd have to have some kind of pragmatic threat to Russian forces by sheer dint of technology or volume of troops.

I'd be shocked if this all comes to fruition, though Macron's sudden change of language is in of itself quite seismic; he was happy enough to pull a Chamberlain for the longest time so you'd have to wonder what changed - and was it some information passed to him we're not privy to? To hint that the West might want/need to put soldiers into Ukraine - even if merely as a 300lb gorilla or missile shield - is quite something.

Let's see where this goes - cos you can be damn sure Zelensky reached for the hotline when that comment passed his desk, the obviously first question being How Serious Are you Emmanuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Disappointing to see other euro nations rushing to put the dampeners on the macron comment/suggestion. Germany, Spain etc.

Personally I believe its the only way to end this war with Ukraine keeping it's original borders intact. At the moment it feels like Putin is getting more and more confident. Are we all going to wait till Russian boots are at the outskirts of Kiev before we realise we've messed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

What has changed?! Is that a real question?

What has changed is that the US has effectively left NATO. Why are people struggling to understand this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Russian has it pretty rough in Ukraine but frankly it's embarrassing they're being given a lifeline by the West. They should have been run out of there by now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Uh, no they haven't. What are you talking about? America remains a full member until January 2025 at least, then we'll see what Trump does if he wins.

America mightn't be a useful guarantor at this minute, but it's still a large number of steps to walk before you speak publicly to putting troops in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

An air defense mission alone would be massively helpful. Provide coverage in the interior to allow Ukraine to push its organic assets closer to the front, to where they could penetrate into Russian territory. Deny the Black Sea airspace for the Russians. Not explicitly confrontational but enough to tip the balance. The Euro countries would have to be prepared to engage any air defense assets that might try to engage them though.

• Advertisement

Deny the Black Sea airspace for the Russians. Not explicitly confrontational but enough to tip the balance. The Euro countries would have to be prepared to engage any air defense assets that might try to engage them though.

Therein lies the tricky needle with respect to a legal mandate: 'cos this idea only works if Russia thinks this EU Army force would attack if provoked enough; somebody has to blink and I daresay a Russian pilot would be more likely to press on than (say) a French pilot would be to retaliate. Especially if rules of engagement aren't adequately clarified for this theoretical Western force.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yes, it would of course need to have a bit of weight to mean anything. It doesn't necessarily have to threaten Russia but the countries involved would want to accept they are going to have to make a serious response if (say) Russia is advancing in East of Ukraine and Putin decides to test their will to protect [rest of Ukraine] by directly attacking any troops they have sent into still unoccupied parts of the country. Will be very scary times anyway if it happened.

I am not sure if there's additional information (other than what we can all see/what is being reported on - Ukraine is being starved of resources and suffering from it). Also not sure if it is that sudden a change. Macron has always struck me as a pretty cold and rational creature and I think for a good while he's accepted that Putin/Russia are not backing away from this any time soon, despite the horrific cost. The days of the phone calls to Putin are long gone.

So either they will have some kind of "win" over Ukraine by Putin's own lights (even if it looks insane to us at the price/cost), they will be fought to a standstill and finally just run out of energy and will to continue the war (a N/S Korea type situation?) or they will be beaten backwards by military force. The latter 2 outcomes will not happen without large amounts of Western support to Ukraine continuing + increasing. The idea of peace deals and negotiations seems like a pipedream for now, and he realises that IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Any EU force would have to be explicit about their willingness to engage threats against them and also to put their soldiers in danger. The public has to be understanding that people might die, and that opposing Russian aggression is worth the potential risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Did you miss the word effectively? Having an alliance with an ally that is no longer reliable isn't worth a damn. Europe needs to see that. Poland sees it, hence why it is arming itself to the teeth. Other European countries are starting to wake up to that reality but at its usually snails pace.

As it stands America is a NATO ally and if Russia invaded or attacked a NATO country, Article 5 comes into effect. That's not a question of reliability or discussion - but a legal treaty. Everything else is conjecture and (understandable) anxiety about Trump, but he didn't come down with the last shower either - his presence has been around since the war started and we knew then he was running in 2024.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement