Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why don't GAA matches sell out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Winning teams get good attendance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

About half of Limerick lives outside the city.

About half of Waterford lives outside the city.

About two-thirds of Galway lives outside the city.

About three-quarters of Kilkenny lives outside the city.

About threes-quarters of Cork lives outside the city.

About one-millionth of Tipperary actually lives in Thurles.

Etc, etc...

Getting to a game is just too much hassle and too expensive when you add in cost of transport, bite to eat, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

You should delete posts more often.

Just get rid of hurling and football, Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i did'nt say football, i said to re-invest the funds from gaa and hurling into football.

people cant make posts complaining about low turn outs then when the funds are scattered across all these other games going on. wouldnt it just make sense to put all the funds that are going to waste into one big thing instead of a number of small things, no?

if there is low turn outs like was being asked about, then this is only more reason to go for this

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It doesn't inspire people to go to league matches when even the players and managers always say "yerra sure look it's only the league"

The rural point is relevant, relatively more trouble for people to travel. It's much easier to get out to a stadium if you live in a large urban area with metro, trams etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There's a lot of factors that effect attendance at intercounty matches. You cannot compare with premier League or similar for any number of reasons.

The indirect costs are one factor. I had looked at going to Killarney for the Mayo Kerry game but the price of the accomodation wasn't a doable figure, even if it were the fuel, food, drinks etc up and down aren't small money. And while some people can afford and have the time to go every weekend sometimes there's not a big support base unless the team are doing well.

The absolute dominance of Dublin GAA over the past decade and more at this stage has killed a lot of Leinster counties and these are generally the more populated counties and the dominance of Kerry in Munster has done the same there. You could say hurling has been adversely effected by Limerick also but there are a few teams close to them in Munster.

Ultimately you can't do much to change the formats of intercounty as the players aren't paid full time professionals.

At the end of the day we have a limited population, and not all are into GAA or intercounty GAA or at least aren't till the county are doing well, which is fine too.

So long as the participation rates remain high, I personally am happy. Anything that helps foster community is a good thing and many aspects of the GAA are brilliant for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Had a quick look at the league figures for recent years and the gate receipts in € were as follows:

2018:

Hurling 2m

Football 3m

2019:

Hurling 2m

Football 3.5m

2023:

Hurling 2.25m

Football 4.8m (average attendance of 4k across the 4 divisions and that doesn't include kids)

Decent enough numbers I'd have thought

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I don't think this thread is for you. A better place to start with this level of questions would be:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't think you "get" the gaa ethos.

The players don't get paid - they are not professional.

The thing with dublin is the playing numbers are on their side and to be fair to them, they have spent whatever money was coming in wisely.

I am not saying anything negative about the dubs etc - just pointing out some of the "Issues"

the thread asks why dont gaa matches sell out, so since an input from non-gaa fans from an outside view would be needed for an honest opinion. maybe im the right person to give an answer? if i was a fan of gas giving an answer, there would be a bias. a clear unbiased answer is more pure and less of a conflict of interest one would think.

you are right about that, i don't really get the gaa ethos at all and why people call it the gah instead of saying JEE AY AY.

wait what? they don't get paid?...... this is baffling. They're just playing for the enjoyment of the sport and for the sake of winning then?

if they are all playing voluntarily then how can onne even compare them to premiere league?

Dublin is heavily populated, i know ur not hating on dubs, it feels like common sense that the more populated areas would have access to more players/talent. its okay to point out issues on any side, i honestly don't mind it at all. its nice to have an open conversation about these things. i'm all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

True but there's a lot of back slapping in the GAA about just how hardcore and deep the support for county teams is, when it's actually one of the most fickle fanbases around. If a huge crowd attends a big game that's novel for that county, we're told that this is proof of how dedicated the fans are, when really it points to the opposite conclusion; vast numbers of fans actually don't attend 95% of their counties games.

I'm from Meath and you'll often see references to Meath fans as "long suffering" since about 2001, but only a small proportion of followers are doing that suffering. Ask any self professed GAA fan in Meath whether they'll head to Páirc Tailteann on a given weekend to watch the footballers and there's a huge chance you'll get told "God no I couldn't go to watch that, they're useless". But if (very big if) Meath ever won anything of significance again, we'd be told that it's just reward for the many fans who have been put through the wringer over the years, when in reality most of Meath stopped caring when we stopped being successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The condensed season must be having an effect on crowds too. This weekend sees the 3rd weekend in a row for inter county football teams. For Galway, that meant Omagh - Salthill - Clones. Its a fair bit of travel over just 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

Clare played Wexford in an All-Ireland quarter final in 2018 and the attendance was 10,255. In that context I'd say 4k for a League game in February between these two teams is actually quite good. Not sure what you were expecting.

I go to almost every game but it does make me think twice about going to away games when I know I have 80e in tickets and about 50e in trains coming in April for the Munster championships. That's before factoring in food and the evening out that usually follows championship games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Isn't an attendance of 10k for a quarter final of the top tier hurling championship a rubbish attendance too though?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭rjoe90

100% that is a very low attendance for an all Ireland quarter final from two well followed teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

Maybe but that's a different argument. I have no basis for guessing what to expect from these counties in terms of attendance other than what actually has happened. My point was that a League match between the two attracted a crowd of 40% of what a knockout championship match (not pumped by event-junkies like an All Ireland final is) between the same two counties pulled. That's as much as might reasonably be expected in a League game in February in those circumstances I would suggest.

• Advertisement

Which is essentially the crux of my underlying question. Intercounty hurling teams get maybe 6 home games a year between the championship and league. With such a small number of games, it's bizarre to me that people are happy to view half of those games as "just the league". Surely there should be a clamour for more games, not less?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Its not set up in hurling to be very attractive. Take my own county, Galway, as an example, we've had the choice to go see Westmeath get tanked, travel to Belfast to watch Antrim get tanked or go to Thurles for 3.45pm throw in on a sunday evening, then travel home on terrible roads in the pitch black. There's not a lot of wet the appetite there. I'll go watch them play Limerick and possibly Dublin but yet again in a case of the GAA not caring a jot about fan opinion, thats in Pearse stadium which is almost universally despised.

The local stadiums could definitely do more to attract people in. The focus should be on making it an experience rather than just investing in more capacity. I remember when I first moved to America I went to a minor league baseball game in the town I worked in. This would be a low division full of back ups to an MLB team, so not a glamour fixture. But in their small stadium they had a whole range of food options, all really good and reasonably priced, a few different bars with your basic beers in one, and more IPA stuff in another. They had a whole kid's play area with bouncy castles, slides, even a splash park (which we might not have the weather for, to be fair). They would have themed nights like fireworks night, star wars night (the kids all get glow in the dark light sabres on the way in). And they had a nice merchandise shop as well.

The place was packed with locals every time they played, because it was about 10 dollars to get in and there was stuff for kids and adults to do there. Make it a nice destination for an easy day out and don't try and gouge people for the privilege. I went numerous times and I couldn't give a fiddlers about baseball.

It just takes a bit of imagination, which is in short supply in Ireland. Thinking of Nowlan Park, behind the new stand there is a huge amount of space that's just empty gravel, which could easily be put to good use. The one really great thing they do is let kids on the field at half time to puck ball, and they're trying to stamp that out.

Interesting. I guess though that the other thing there is that baseball teams play like 100+ games a year, so there's loads of home games to attract a crowd. So is the stadium better because of the regular games? Or are the crowds there because it's a better stadium? Or a mix of both.

No thanks.

A stadium is to watch a match in. I would rather it be empty than full of drunks and posers like the rugby is now. If you are not entertained by the sport then don't go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

That 2018 match was played in Páirc Uí Chaoimh, and that fact in itself turned many people off. It's an even worse trip from Wexford than Thurles is, and added to the fact that we were rank outsiders (as shown by the end result), many Wexford people who might have attended if it was in a different venue chose to stay at home instead.

Likewise, PUC is not a convenient trip from Clare either, and since they could be reasonably confident about winning it, am guessing many of their supporters decided "we'll just wait for the next match instead".

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭rjoe90

Agree with you, to be honest I don’t remember that match but can see why it drew such a small crowd. Limerick and Kilkenny that year in the all Ireland quarter final was in Thurles and had a great crowd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That match was in the middle of a heatwave in a stadium that's next to impossible to get to at 3 on a Saturday. The match itself had very little build up, Clare had lost the Munster final and were expected to win handy, Wexford had come third in Leinster. A losers playoff is a hardsell for any sport. If I remember correctly Clare had almost 10 times the number in attendance in the semi-final, then again that did goto a replay with the second game being held in Thurles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I'd actually forgotten it was a Saturday afternoon match rather than Sunday, so yes, that would have been a factor as well.

For what it's worth, I go to most Wexford matches myself, but I don't mind admitting that I gave that one a miss.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If I remember correctly the match was on TV, I wasn't at it myself as my brother in law got married the same day, if I didn't have that excuse I would have had another 1 I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Up to about 2010 the football championship was usually competitive and fairly open, but that's long gone now. These days only about 3 counties a year have a chance of winning, but mostly its Dublin, and Kerry if Dublin have an off year.

Making the league the premier competition would be a radical step but certainly bring some life back and that goes for football and hurling. But the GAA don't really do radical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

If you want that sort of entertainment you go to the funfair or circus not a GAA game.

Well the original point you were making was that there's so few games it's surprising the attendance isn't higher so it would suggest that more games would lead to fewer in attendance on average.

Not sure why a bunch of things to make an event family friendly would make it a haven for drunks and posers, are you expecting then to show up for the kids bouncy castle? They already have a bar at croke Park and it doesn't do any harm. I am not a fan of rugby for a few reasons and one is that at big events people are up and down like a hoors knickers for pints, but we already have the solution in the GAA: you can't bring a drink to your seat. Simple. You don't have to go on the bouncy castle yourself breezy you can just watch the match. But if the subject of the thread is increasing attendances, there's a simple suggestion that I made.

I agree with you, if you want entertainment, you definitely shouldn't attend football. So...what's your suggestion for increasing attendances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Your comparison to soccer is a good one but if you ever try to get a ticket to a premier league game, difficult as it may be, it's much more difficult to get one for a Champions league game.

Same in rugby, you want to see Munster play in Musgrave this weekend tickets were available until recently on Ticketmaster (possibly still are?) but a home European game will normally sell out well in advance

My point is in a nutshell that different competitions sell different numbers of tickets

I don't know if your comparing like with like there, very rarely any Munster matches sell out now, often they don't even bother opening up sections of the ground. Premiership clubs often have smallish grounds with big season ticket holders, there's often tickets available but never on general sale because of restrictions in sales.

1 thing the GAA has to do better is realize they are in the entertainment industry, the main event is what will bring in lots of supporters, free under 16s even better but what is there to convince a casual fan to part with €20 to see a league match in February??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

€20 for Kilkenny v Offaly in Nowlan Park the other day felt a bit steep.

I was in Croke Park on Saturday and had the misfortune of sitting on an aisle. Constant streams up and down. People also out the back having pints with the game on.

I have no problem with your bouncy castles which is why I didn't mention them. Fancy dress day no thanks though.

Munster's European games don't even come close to selling out these days. That bandwagon got a good lick of green paint and was carted off through Mayorstone.

Not sure what you can do about the league. When the fans, media and teams are all saying "it's only the league" what more can you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭rdser

People might say stick to the rugby or soccer for the entertainment, but the match day 'experience' sells tickets and more importantly repeat customers.

If you're going to talk about filling stadiums, that can't be discounted. The purists are in the minority in most stadiums in most sports, so it's how you get the casual fan to buy tickets, fills the rest of the place. The GAA are not good in that respect imo.

What facts would you have there to say the soccer and rugby are "selling tickets" ?

Dublin alone outdo Leinster and Limerick or Cork are drawing in the same or more than Munster. Together the Munster teams blow Munster out of the water.

The Irish rugby team have become like Wimbledon or the Tour de France and are in no way a reflection of the sport in Ireland. 6 Nations is just an evening out and a place to be seen. Thornley has an article in the Irish Times this week adding to the growing list of media bemoaning how crap the atmosphere of that "full house" is.

Where exactly did I say that. I said the match day experience sells tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Like the Irish language I think we overestimate the interest in GAA.

I’m a fair weather supporter, I only watch my county when we get to the Quarter or Semi finals stages.

"People might say stick to the rugby or soccer for the entertainment, but the match day 'experience' sells tickets and more importantly repeat customers"

Right here.

You are saying that the match day experience that those other sports offer is selling tickets which isn't true. Munster actually had more fans back before the flamethrowers and half time light shows.

Thinking you are reading things not there but work away.

• Advertisement

The Bayonne game had 18k and the Northampton game had 24k so one was close to selling out

Sadly the munster team are a shadow of their former selves so this trend is likely to continue

Surprised at 18k against Bayonne. I was at that game and it felt nothing close to that.

18k in a 25k stadium is a little over 2/3rds full, felt about right to me. Still took 25 minutes to be served at the bar 🙄🙄

Actually, that's a great point, Munster sold out 4 games last season, 1 the Christmas game against Leinster, 1 a once off game against South Africa and 2 in Musgrave Park (Munster Rugby | Munster Rugby Season In Stats), considering Musgrave Park can only take 8,000 it shows how difficult it is for anyone to sell out.

For me, the biggest opportunity for the GAA is to sell out the provincial games, ok there can be dead rubbers in the last rounds but season tickets or discounts or something could get around that.

Munster base their attendance on ticket sales rather than people through the turnstiles, they have an awful lot of season ticket holders (I used to be 1) so I'd say you could take at least 2,000 people off the 18k to get a more realistic figure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement