Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

For those that maybe interested in the views of folks involved in the Irish radio industry. Liam Thompson is PD for Classic Hits FM and this is an extract from his Raudio newsletter regarding RTE:

The Upstairs Downstairs Mentality at RTE

FEB 26

As I set off for the office to write this week’s newsletter, my 15 year old said, it’s not going to be about Ryan Tubridy again, is it?

And I do feel like we have returned to the subject of RTE quite a lot, but wherever you’re reading this, there is a fascinating story in what happens when a public service broadcaster finds itself in deep water.

In some ways, there are parallels between the battle the BBC is facing with the Tory Government, although their situation revolves more around perceptions of bias in coverage, promoted by the Government while senior Tory figures are actively involved in the BBC at Board level.

More Drama Looms

This week promises to be another big week of drama for RTE, as the Communications Minister Catherine Martin has found herself in the spotlight, after a public refusal to express confidence in the Chair of RTE.

The Chair, Siun Ni Raghallaigh, then resigned and a flurry of new headlines questioning the chain of events over more Executive level payouts followed.

The Minister is due to appear before the Oireachtas Media Committee on Tuesday, accompanied by the marvelously named former civil servant Katherine Licken. The questioning is expected to focus on when and how the Department were informed about the latest round of executive exit packages.

All of this turmoil continues, as the State Broadcaster is suffering dramatic drops in licence fee income, which is not exactly surprising given the continual bad news about the organisation, and it’s prevented any decision on either a public funding bailout, or the announcement of the RTE survival plan that Director General Kevin Bakhurst had been working on.

The Rounding Issue

It was a detail in the Sunday Times reporting though that really caught my eye. It’s a relatively minor technical point I suppose from an accounting point of view, but RTE recorded the exit payment for their former Chief Financial Officer, Breda O’Keeffe as €400,000, when in fact the amount was €450,000.

Why is that?

Well, RTE says it’s practice is to round down sums to the nearest €100,000, so €450,000 was treated as €400K instead of say, €450K, or indeed rounded up to €500k

And, it’s not clear whether the same practice was extended to other packages and how they were reported. And given that the current running total for redundancy package at Executive Level is almost €4 million since 2012, that could be a significant amount of money.

One Person’s Rounding Error is another’s Career

Let’s just step back for a minute. The starting salary, for an RTE radio producer, is about €51,000, that’s for a full years work, producing audio, coaching talent, devising radio and broadcasting it to a national audience.

Or, in RTE language, when it comes to what it hilariously terms “VEPs” (Voluntary Exit Packages) for Executives, it’s just a rounding error.

That really sums up the issue in RTE for me, I’ve worked there, I’ve been a Senior Manager in the Radio Division, and I know how it works and it’s not right.

Upstairs Downstairs in Montrose Manor

It’s not dissimilar to the 70’s TV show “Upstairs, Downstairs”, or it’s more modern incarnation “Downton Abbey”, there are two parallel worlds. One, which is downstairs, is where committed and talented people work hard every day to deliver public service broadcasting for a wide national audience.

The other exists in a parallel universe, perched up above the common folk, where senior executives collect private sector salaries for public service work and when their time is up, they can happily walk away with multiples of their 6 figure salaries and straight into a commercial organisation.

The people on the floors below don’t have that luxury, they work in a radio centre that is a literal relic of the 70’s and have been waiting for over a year now for some kind of plan that will give them comfort that they have jobs and security.

Every version of a survival plan lists off hundreds of heads to be cut, but they’re really cutting the wrong heads, instead of 9 producers, why not lose another senior executive at a saving of €450,000?

Or in the casual manner of the Director General’s own explanation, simply not replace some more of the €200,000 a year roles, that were deemed no longer necessary, and sure you’ll have recouped the payout in just 12 months.

I’m genuinely surprised that the staff in RTE aren’t outside the Executive offices every single day with placards listing off the names and amounts that have been handed out as “VEPs” and demanding that Ireland’s public service broadcaster starts to take a more realistic approach to it’s senior level VIPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think there a few current and former posters here who are far from surprised at how inept he's turned out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

So Katherine Licken won't be attending the Oireachtas meeting Tuesday with Martin.

There's a surprise🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Chicken Licken.

There are rumblings of Bauer wanting to sell off Newstalk - a brand that News UK might love to get their hands on as it aligns with their Talk/News brands in the UK, also Off The Ball with TalkSPORT etc.

But even with all that and whether or not that ever happens - Tubridy may have cancelled himself out from a jump to NT anyway due to ineptitude, amounting to sounding utterly s***** on Virgin Radio and Q102 mid-mornings. The RAJARS and JNLR's Q1 figures for 2024 cannot come out soon enough as a confirmation that Tubridy truly chose the wrong career and perhaps should really have stuck it out at law school and kept radio as a hobby where he could have hosted a weekly book nerd and JFK / Beatles show at Dublin City FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

How can he have 'stuck it out at law school' when he was never in law school?

His link at 10:22 sounded a bit strange this morning. He was lecturing about 11,12 and 13 year olds wearing makeup...then in the same link, saying he loves the children's books area of bookshops.

My apologies, I'm giving him too much credit again. Apparently he did consider studying law at Kings Inn and may have spent a very short time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Tubridy is an author of two children's books. (Purely in the interests of balance.) The jaws in the studio must have dropped when he said that.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I switched on the radio and heard him saying something about smelling a wet dog on the Tube...

Before I switched away as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

He has said multiple times. That he was a registered student with Kings Inn. Presumably reading a degree in Barrister At Law. He has also said on multiple times that it wasn't for him and he jacked it in after two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He could do free history walking tours up and down o Connell st - his admirers will flock to wish him well no doubt ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You're right, J, Tubridy is indeed the author of two children's books. Of course he's going to have a professional interest in the genre. Plenty of adults spend time in the children's section of bookshops - kids generally don't buy all their own books.

There's a lot of things to criticize Tubridy for. A veritable smorgasbord of things. But being a creep for having an interest in the children's section of bookshops isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Perhaps his relocation to London will give him the material for a new book. Any ideas?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

The golden parachute payment to ex-RTE staff - particularly those who left of their own volition, are absolutely scandalous. And should be investigated thoroughly.

But on a personal level, Licken, as a retired civil servant, would be absolutely mad to voluntarily appear in front of the Oireachtas committee. Why on earth would anyone expose themself to the legal ramifications without the protection of an employer? The committee can't compel her to appear - it's basically a group of TDs and Senators in a big room talking. If you were walking down the road, and a group of TDs and Senators were in a huddle talking, and they called you over and said they wanted to quiz you, would you go over and let them? That's exactly the level of power they have.

No matter how innocent you are, unless you're reporting a crime, never talk to the Gardaí without legal advice, and if you don't absolutely have to, never appear in front of an Oireachtas committee. When it comes to the authorities, always exercise your rights to their full extent. Because anything you say, no matter how innocuous, can be used against you.

The real problem here isn't that certain people aren't gullible enough to expose themselves to the risk in the name of "accountability" . It's that we don't have the legal framework in place for proper oversight of any of this. We shouldn't have Oireachtas committees that are just talking shops and soapboxes for shouty politicians. We should have proper investigative panels with actual powers to call and compel witnesses and make substantive decisions and changes.

Ah ha, I see - with apologies to alzer100 above. I took law school as referring to studying law as an undergraduate, which would have required points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

He did ok points wise. Arts in UCD with a moderatorship in Greek and Roman Civilisatation I belive. To be fair he went to Blackrock college. If he didn't get a enough points for Arts in UCD. His family should be asking for their money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Tubridy would be the first barrister in history who crumbled from his own line of questioning

• Advertisement

Tubridy was so late for work this morning at Virgin Radio, he hadn't even arrived by 9.58am to do a handover from Chris Evans. That is really unprofessional as he should be in there to start work for that show by at least 8.30-9.30am (latest) each day.

This mornings listening was interesting, he couldn't even remember the phone number and had to scramble to find the cue card.

Apparently he had to rent a bike to cycle to London Bridge St.

A competent and committed presenter should be at the studio at least 1.5 - 2 hours before taking over from the breakfast show presenter, while having already prepped the night before.

In one of his links: "You know the way nearly all the streets smell of cannabis now" - he just said that live on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

And he is supposed to be a professional! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It's total Fr. Ted stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Senior Hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I listened in the other day (involuntary), and he mumbled the number so badly that noone could possibly have heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don't think he's inept at all, what happened in Ryan's case is he had cheer leaders and yes men beside him telling him he's great when was terrible, so instead of a normal situation where you learn from mistakes in this case they were celebrating and rewarding it

"Inept: meaning: having or showing no skill; clumsy.

"the referee's inept handling of the match"

There are dozens of examples of Tubridy's ineptitude where he is lacking even the most basic of production and presentation skills. Clumsy can be way of describing his lack of ability to even operate a simple NEXT button on a station automation system, let alone faders on an Axia console. They have to pay an operator to play audio for him or operate the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

I only feel sorry for him in that no one encouraged him to quit while ahead, or take what was on offer last year without complaining.

But it really is his own hubris keeping this spectacle tumbling along.

Advertisement