Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

SF have a very strong chance of being in government next GE and RTE should be scared sh*tless at that idea with the way they have been dealt with by them (not without good reason but a bias from a company that is not meant to be biased - not forgetting all the screw ups by RTE with misinformation) How many times have SF sued RTE and won?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭jmcc

There will certainly be some resignations if SF get into government. Apart from the Turbidy payments scandal kicking things off, a competent minister would have dealt with things quickly. She is not a competent minister. Bacik was getting a lot of coverage from RTE last week but now the focus has shifted to SF. The print media is also beginning to shift to an anti-Martin position and that won't have gone unnoticed by FFG. It wouldn't be surprising if Martin's resignation speech is being drafted.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I heard that FG are struggling to get new candidates in those constituencies where TDs are retiring. I guess it will be hard to defend their record since 2011.

I think many people are annoyed that the RTE bailout money is being used to give golden handshakes to incompetent employees.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Listening to the Pat Kenny show, Anton Savage is standing in. I didn't get the name of the person he had on talking about this but they were scathing in the how Martin has handled this.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

Are we any more annoyed than in 2011 when we gave golden handshakes to FF ministers with Troika money ?.

We seemed to get over that fairly quickly.

FG are going to take a beating in next GE, and prospective candidates know this. When I heard political commentator yesterday put forward the idea of FF FG Green plus independents for next government, I laughed for a while until I realised it wasn’t the first of April. The clown was actually serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Who else will it be? Scum Fein are losing popularity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Caquas

Tough week ahead for Catherine Martin and she has no one in her corner.

Senior government figures have been silent in the face of the biggest governance crisis to hit any State body since the McCabe scandal triggered a chain of resignations/ dismissals/Inquiries (until Leo was elected Taoiseach - did you forgot that “unintended” consequence🤔).

Second rank FF and FG figures have been in the media demanding RTÉ delivers full information but not a word of support for Minister Martin. Dermot Ahern’s column in today’s Irish Mail is a good measure of FF frustration at her arrogance and incompetence.

The Opposition smell blood - Labour and SF want her resignation. The media love that the spotlight has shifted to the Government because, as Pat Kenny told the Indo, the politicians were enjoying schadenfreude at RTÉ’s expense.

If Catherine Martin takes further hits during the week, her “lame duck” status will become official but I still doubt that Eamon Ryan has the power to get rid of her. The Green Party leader seems to be the opposite of the Tory Party leader who is an absolute monarch facing the constant threat of regicide.

If the RTÉ Board resign en masse in solidarity with Siún, her position will simply be untenable.

I think the most likely is SF FF minority government.

FG will be on the opposition benches.

Small Parties and Independents are on 34% based on latest poll but bringing two or three of them into government won’t be easy. Individual Green Party TD’s voted against the government when it came to things they didn’t like. Add another party or two with potential rogue elements and you would need the patience of a saint to be corralling them through the voting lobby each week.

If it didn’t have serious financial consequences, a government with SF Labour SD PBP and a couple of independents as ministers…..now that would be fun to watch.

I think the Media committee will find even more revelations in Martin's knowledge tomorrow and that she may be forced to resign this week. There are so many questions about what she knew and when. So many of these golden handshakes have been given to incompetents in RTE since the scandal began while she was twiddling her thumbs waiting for reports on stuff we already knew. The govt tried to kick the can down the road and failed epicly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I wouldn't be a fan of the Greens, but I think to a degree that Martin is being hung out to dry for what are actually RTÉ's failings. Ní Raghallaigh shouldn't have "told" her minister about exit packages - it should have been put in writing but apparently wasn't. That's very poor behaviour. As we don't know the amount of detail involved in the "telling", it is hard to pass judgment right now.

On top of that, Martin is waiting on a report. She may have jumped the gun in not expressing confidence in the chair of the board, or she may have felt she was not in a position to do so for very good reasons. When she receives the report (which in any case will be written in we're-not-blaming-anyone-here language) will be time enough to judge her actions. That said, she's a politician, so let's not expect too much at the end of the affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

So you you think going on rte with a very obviously scripted interview letting someone know that they were going to be sacked in the morning was the correct thing for her to do,as for waiting for a report so she doesn't have to take responsibility is throwing good money after bad.

She is simply out of her depth. Martin probably expected an easy time as minister but the Tubridy pay scandal and what followed highlighted her limitations and lack of business expertise. She went on Prime Time and effectively fired Ni Raghallaigh but Ni Raghallaigh did the right thing. Now, Katherine Licken, the former head of Martin's department is not to appear before the Media Committee. According to RTE, Martin's Private Secretary has written to the committee to say that

"In a letter to the Media Committee Catherine Martin's private secretary said it would not be appropriate for Ms Licken to attend as part of the Department delegation as she is no longer a member of staff.

They added that as a former officer holder she would not have any standing to report to the committee "in relation to the agenda set out in the committee's letter." "

The committee needs to invite Licken to appear before it.

That's more serious damage to Martin's credibility on the issues. There's video from an appearance before one of the committees with Licken present where the issues were being discussed and clarified. Martin wasn't present. Licken's non-appearance before the committee puts Martin in an even worse position.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Does Katherine Licken still work as a civil servant? Usual crap about these committees inviting people who can simply say I’m not going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Plutarch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

I think it’s fair to say that tourism also under her brief is being decimated without a peep from her. It is fair to say that this government has some of the worst senior ministers ever in the history of the state and the three weakest leaders in Varadkar, Ryan and Martin all of whom too afraid to act.

The video clip at the top of the article gives the main facts. Basically Martin got it wrong about the RTE licence fee warning ads being stopped on platforms other than RTE's and the involvement of her department. Bakhurst stated that the department and An Post were in the loop. What she told an FG TD on a committee was wrong. Now, she has another story.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

A communications breakdown? It looks like she hadn't a clue about what was going on in her department or with RTE.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Makes you wonder what she has been doing considering how long this has been going on? I know she was in hiding but surely she would have been kept updated by there army of advisors and her department officials. I think if it was me I would have appointed one of my advisors and a civil servant to dealing with this and only this and keeping me up to date surely its not that hard.

How can someone be so out of touch with their brief?

It shouldn't be if the minister in question had a clue.

Regards...jmcc

RTE is a highly dysfunctional organisation and it would need people with business expertise and perhaps expertise in forensic accounting to work out what is going on in that organisation. Martin does not have that expertise. The whole thing cascaded out of control with the Tubridy payments scandal. That took out Dee Forbes, Tubridy and a few RTE executives and most recently the chair of the RTE board. And it is still not over. Martin is completely out of her depth on this problem.

Regards...jmcc

She is from a teaching background so I don't think she would have experience of dealing with a crisis. I am from an IT background and you see this all the time that a problem happens the Manager gets everyone around and then depending on how big or serious the issue is will assign people do fixing it and will appoint a person to oversee it and report back what is going on. It's practically the standard response.

I never heard of her till she got elected and then the way some folks were talking it was like she was the second coming, miles ahead of Ryan but from this and the tourism brief she has been a complete and utter disaster.

It is not just a crisis. It is a business and its corporate politics. She's completely out of her depth.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Why would a minister need forensic accounting skills?

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

They wouldn't but they would need to know when to get in people with forensic accounting skills or just basic accounting skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Karppi

It really doesn't look good for Martin with stuff like this coming out. It will probably be brought up at her appearance tonight.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well it's obvious that she took her eye off the RTE ball, as she was preoccupied in dealing with her main brief - that of Minister for Tourism.

Tourism, an important sector across rural Ireland and the regions. Thank God we have an attentive Minister for Tourism and she'll be a terrible loss if she has to resign. Who will defend the interests of local tourism now against the eyes of the Minister for Integration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Fionnán Sheahan: Catherine Martin ‘misinformed’ TDs over RTÉ’s decision to halt spending on licence fee adverts

Media Minister forced to change answer after director general Kevin Bakhurst’s statement. Fine Gael TD Brendan Griffin says fall off in licence fee revenue should have been a priority. Officials meet every month to discuss ad campaign as €60m in income is lost after scandals

I wonder will the FFG TDs on the committee try and give Martin an easy ride tonight. It is televised and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Caquas

Catherine suddenly finds herself surrounded by supporters today. Nothing changed in reality but the penny dropped over the weekend with FG/FF that Eamon can’t ditch Catherine so they will have to live with her. Pascal (the most credible Minister) was sent out to bat for her even if he couldn’t think of anything she has achieved in nearly four years as Minister. Leo has broken his silence to express “absolute confidence” in the Minister who refused to do the same for her appointee.

Government TDs and Senators will rally round her today so it will look like a typical Opposition tactic, seeking a Ministerial head regardless of the substance of the case.

FO’T has signalled that the liberal media are on board. He calls her the “best Minister for Culture and the Media since Michael D. “ . As Michael D. was famously the first to hold that portfolio, Fintan means all the others were FF/FG so not worth a damn.

Of course Fintan like Paschal can’t recall a single achievement in the past four years but he offers Catherine career advice - get the taxpayer to fund RTÉ in its entirety because private enterprise is to blame for everything that is wrong with Ireland (now that the Catholic Church is gone) and everything would be perfect if the State ran everything. Every year the Government would have to set RTÉ’s entire budget - talk about poisoned chalices, Fintan!

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2024/02/27/catherine-martin-can-save-her-political-career-and-do-something-big-for-irish-democracy/

Jesus wept O'Toole is a complete clown of a man. Official Ireland is just one gigantic circle jerk.

Not if they want to be relected. The most dangerous could be the ones not running in the next GE.

Regards...jmcc

Don't think it was ever switched on.

Regards...jmcc

I am interested in how the committee deal with the non appearance of Katherine Licken. If it is accepted without the usual guff they go on with, then Dee Forbes will never appear.

When this non appearance was reported early this morning, I listened to about 90 minutes of Morning Ireland. Not one TD or Senator appeared…..even Brian Stanley was absent which is highly unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Karppi

It's almost as if Katherine Licken has had her memory wiped clean, like an old hard dive, so she's unable to appear. What a complete obfuscation. Neither Katherine nor Dee have had their data erased.

I think the non appearance suits in two ways

• It suits the minister as there is no one around to contradict (even inadvertently) the narrative given by the minister
    • It suits the committee as Politicans tend to avoid intense questioning of the “permanent government” and particularly not in front of tv cameras.

I think this hearing tonight will add little if anything to our understanding of what is going on in RTE.

Government departments have tended to distance themselves from the day to day operations of semi states or the HSE. Hardly a surprise then, if lines of communication have been corroded through very infrequent use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Call her 'Chicken Licken' on live TV possibly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I was thinking about that earlier. The permanent government need a bit of a scare from time to time when it comes to proper governance and wasting taxpayers money. This RTE scandal and the chance of having to answer questions must frighten some of the senior civil servants who have a very cosy and largely unaccountable positions. That said, having an incompetent minister helps a lot.

I started a thread on our permanent government once, must dig it out.

Martin may well have to throw her retired civil servant under the bus tonight to score a few points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Generally the 'Civil Service' proper is well run and accountable. Not sure about other public bodies, quangos or semi-states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

What time is kick off?

19:00 / 7 PM. It is on the Oireachtas website and also on the RTE News channel. It is scheduled for three hours.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Chopper Dave

Should this not be the other way around? The Committees have done nothing to - or about - those who are refusing to attend and anyone who does attend is just having their reputation shredded. If I was a retired Civil Servant why would I give up my time to attend a committee that has tolerated the non-appearance of Dee Forbes and others for nearly nine months at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

i go away for a few days and its gotten worse it seems...what did i miss...? rte finally closed down..? dee turn up...?

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Advertisement
Advertisement