Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭conorhal

Wait, you think that the Social Democrats, that literally ran an ayslum scammer Ellie Kisyombe as a candidate, and then doubled down on that decision when her lies were pointed out to them, are the people to allay peoples fears about immigration and the broken asylum system....

...if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Absolutely correct.

And every NATO country around the world is talking about this presently.

And preparing for war.

Ukraine is tiring after 2 years of fighting and without increased support may not be able to hold much longer.

Saying refugees need to return to rebuild is premature.

And asking men with families to fight a war against a world class bully unsupported is sending them to certain death.

We can expect more refugees not less and from other European countries with this war continuing and Putin determined to make his mark before he dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Who said anything about Crimea?

Ukraine will fight on regardless of the US or not.

They will fight on because they have no choice, it’s about survival as a nation and people as Russia has made it clear they want to erase Ukraine and it’s people from existence.

I think you need to lay off the Russian propaganda and realise you’re the one dreaming if you think Ukraine will give up and surrender to Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Well that is Zelensky's conditions for a ceasefire.Fight to the last man in that case perhaps you should go there and help .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I wouldnt base an entire party's immigration manifesto on a solo candidate experience from 5 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hmmmm... all very strange.

When you joined you were talking about "uncontrolled immigration" and you were sceptical about the Soc Dems.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yes & the numbers still arent controlled.

But I do think the Soc Dems can help support the messaging better than the current govt & hopefully inject some urgency into house building and infrastructure, with Holly's plan to move towards 50k homes per year.

Whether they will get in to govt is another matter though.

50/50 chance I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Off topic ? You brought those lads up, I just pointed out they’re not exactly independent observers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Well, we had Holly out recently and her heart was breaking for the economic migrants and the passport trashers - She seemed to imply that her solutions would include modular homes for them (money no object it seems) She's also a huge fan of the goddess, that is Catherine Day - Holly was on about the pre-famine population too a couple of weeks ago...which was gas. Her advisors, a bit like FG's, are idiots

Is that the FG policy now...to court/big up the Soc Dems as a potential coalition partner as the poor Greens will be vaporised?

The Soc Dems must never be let near government, especially if they end up being the tail wagging the dog, à la the GP - The SDs are wetter than the North Atlantic

I know Anna and Goldie were wondering where you stand on things last night - It's visible from space afaiac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

I agree with every single word of this post. Soc Dems would be an absolute disaster in goverment. Its akin to them on a sinking titanic detonating a couple of torpedoes to make it sink faster.

Modular homes. FFs.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt say the Soc Dems are a shoe in for coalition party, but if FFG lock SF out of govt, which I think they will do (again), FFG will need additional seats to form a govt and the Soc Dems may have the seat count and common ground they are looking for.

It could equally be a band of independents that make up the govt with FFG, however.

I think there will be more independents than usual in the Dail this time around, as the anti immigration vote steers that way.

What would your issue be with modular homes out of interest?

Do you see another shortish term solution to housing IPAs and the growing population at large?

Its going to be difficult to hit the 50k new homes per year without modular I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

Modular homes as a concept is good but if we tried to do this large scale it would be a disaster.

Like asylum seekers in the hotels it would quickly end up being focused on funnelling vast sums of taxpayers money to a small number of well connected individuals. Completion targets would fall massively behind, short cuts would be taken and costs would be out of control. Corruption and incompetence would be rife.

We would be better off setting up US style trailer parks, at least it might be cheaper.

When I heard a hotelier say a few weeks ago on RTE the Ukraine war has been lucky and a great boost for hotels I knew this whole thing is about a select few making billions off the tax payer.

Imagine having the balls to say the invasion and murder of innocents has been great for your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

"Ukraine will fight on regardless of the US or not". . . . . Yea. . Sure it will!

This is a US war using Ukrainians to do the fighting.

Its not connected at all!

There is no global conspiracy, designed to enrich a few rural hoteiliers in Ireland. Lol.

What is happening is that the govt, along with other EU countries, is trying to support the plight of the IPAs seeking shelter in Europe, as part of a humanitarian response. A response which is not going to go away, I might add.

In order to provide the support needed, the govt is offering money to house the IPAs, simply because it doesnt currently have enough state owned accomodation to provide for same.

There is no global conspiracy!

You sound like a crazed anti vaxxer or 5G controls our minds, cash is king, looney type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Is there any country in Europe that multiculturalism has worked out? If so tell me. Scandinavia countries have seem'd to have enough of it. So if they couldn't make the utopian dream work, what makes you think we can?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

What would your issue be with modular homes out of interest?

You have just asked me what my problem is with taxpayers money being spent supplying modular homes for 1000's of economic migrants and passport trashers - the same modular homes built by people that are also involved in companies like Tetrarch (Citywest), making 10's of millions off the back of this shambles

Unbelievable

...but if FFG lock SF out of govt, which I think they will do (again),

You've said that a few times now and portray it as some sort of a fait accompli - Unless you have seen some internal research that we aren't privy to, that's pure spin

So how do you suggest the asylum seekers are housed? Do you have a cheaper alternative, perhaps?

Modular homes are already an approved govt response. There is nothing new here.

FFG locking SF out is only my personal opinion, buy hey, they did it last time. So there's that...

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Support messaging? You're a bit deluded if you think messaging is the only problem politicians face in this country right now.

Your posts don't add up at all. You have gone from being anti immigration/anti refugee to supposedly pro immigration/pro refugee and cynical/sceptical about soc dems to cheerleaders them just for the messaging 🤣.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Hoboo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

How about these chancers don't come here, that would be a start. We have our own stuff to deal with domestically. Is that to hard to comprehend.

Advertisement