Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

There's a way for it to be done, i was thinking and came up with a solution. May not be practical but it does solve this problem/dilemma.

When ordering online, how about removing the deposit for home deliveries (or atleast from those who are housebound and have no way of returning the bottles/cans). NOW here's they can make it work. Every item that has a deposit on it, they can mark through the barcode with a felt tip pen, or scrap off the barcode quickly, like putting something underneath the lable quickly and then pulling slightly upwards so that the barcode is destroyed without the drink being damaged (after scanning it obviously) and then at the end of it all minusing the deposit charges off of the total overall bill.

This way when the person receives their delivery, there is no issue of needing to hand the driver cans/bottles, and no issue of deposits. What this does is make them exempt from the scheme by removing it entirely. No deposit needed, no bringing back of bottles, green bin can still be used, and everyones a winner. Let me know what you think of this idea?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

When you state something so forthrightly - as if it it could be implemented immediately or is actually already in place (what you wrote was present tense, with no indication that it was a proposal or supposition) - that is absolutely and utterly impossible, it shows a misplaced confidence in your understanding of the basics.

You don't understand the basics, despite the system being in place for weeks and there being thousands of posts on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I remember getting a beer delivery from Tesco while I was covid isolating, at the time the competitors 10off50 vouchers could be used in Tesco and on booze. Anyway the driver took the voucher, recorded my order number and I got a partial refund a few days later

No reason that can't work with bottles and cans, write the order number on a bag containing the goods

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

So I've discovered yet another issue!

Dropped into Tesco on my way home(one out of 3 machines not working, no surprise there) and when I was leaving the shop and going by the machines the smell from them was woeful, I would suspect it was the dregs of stale beer!

Ffs did they not think of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Wait until the summer and they attract wasps and bees, dregs of soft drinks will too.

It wouldn't really be environmentally friendly to kill pollinators now, would it?

• Advertisement

I thought of it when they said we no longer need to rinse our recycling. I'd be surprised if nobody else saw this coming

And when multipack beer cans get included in the DRS... Easily solvable with fragrances mind

The only way you could really do that is if you had seperate cans without any barcodes just for home delivery purposes, in theory it could work but in practice it's very easy to mix up in store rooms and defeats the purpose of re-turn wanting them popped into the machines

What you could do, is have it so the bin companies can collect the cans/bottles and credit your account accordingly. Would require an upgrade to the bin trucks to allow an extra compartment that can count the cans/bottles accurately and scan a barcode or RFID chip to link it to your account... Not impossible but very very complicated and probably quite an expensive upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 68,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Would need new multi-chamber bin trucks, entirely new not yet existent scanners to be developed, and significant slow down each individual pickup (massively increasing operational costs); as well as lead to unproveable arguments with customers ("I had sixty five cans in that bin and you've only refunded me for sixty three!").

Dutch system allows you to drop a tagged bag at a civic amenity site and eventually get EFTed for the contents after they've been scanned, but arguing about how much you should have got isn't countenanced. That on an exceptionally irregular collection basis is something that might work, but at a significant cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Worth a listen......seems like there's a few unintended consequences. But sure look..its working in Germany...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Eh... I think it may cost a tad more to have some poor lad looking at every online order and using his pen like a censor.

How about jokers putting stink bombs into the cans ready for shredding or wait till Halloween comes and God knows what they'll stick in.

• Advertisement

• There just isn’t a (practical/implementable) way around the unfair home delivery issue for people who can rarely get to an RVM, and only ReTurn is the entity gaining.

Re stink bombs etc, this sort of annoying thing is inevitably going to happen. But I can see potential security issues without posting in detail here. Bear in mind these machines are mostly placed where people egress from the premises although there would be emergency exits elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭jj880

Some say this scheme was always coming in with EU directives. Maybe so but Re-Turn is what happens when our politicians get their grubby paws on EU directives.

Greenbeenery

noun

Consequences of half assed green party gombeenery.

We already have multi chamber bin trucks, the company I use takes compost, glass and recycling/waste depending on the week in 3 compartments of the one truck. I'd say if you really wanted such a scanner and were willing to pay a lot you could get one. Significant slow down and massively increased costs as you say, yes

Dutch system is smart

Californian system you get paid by weight for what you bring to a recycling centre (flaw) after paying a 10c deposit on every container regardless of weight (flaw) but interestingly your bin company can also claim the same amount, in theory this makes bin charges in general lower. But I'm sure there's greed in there somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Se

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

These bulk machines seems more practical .

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭vafankillar

love the bad faith point about people complaining merely cos they dont like change & not about the scheme giving you the choice to either waste your money or waste your time.

as if if they kept things the way they were but changed our green bin to a pink bin we'd all similarly be complain merely cos we hate change lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Archeron

I'd seen some people were posing questions to return on their Instagram page, fair questions too, and they've been busy deleting all the comments, all gone today. Must not have liked the points people were raising. Not a good look.

Wondering also about the increased use in large plastic bags. All my recycling went loose into the bin as requested by the bin company. How many extra bags will be used now for storage and transport? And we were so proud of getting rid of plastic single use shopping bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭geographica

Kieran Cuddihy said it right at the end of this piece

• Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nail on the the head.

The blindness of politicians to the effect of this on the vast majority of people who were already recycling is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Gary_dunne

I was giving my honest opinion on using them for the first time, it took me all of 1 min extra before doing my shop and I receieved my full deposit back.

I have made assertions that there are issues with the scheme (not accessible for wheelchair users, machines not working etc.) But I do believe the that there is overblown hysteria about something that will increase effectiveness of recycling bottles and cans that could take a couple of minutes from someone's week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There are a significant amout of people, the people who care, who have issues with the scheme - there's a lot on here and on other sites.

These are the people that have recycled for the past couple of decades and who WANT to see these types of things work, yet cannot see how they will.

Tens of millions have been spent on this (by various organisations) and when you do something like that you always have to ask was there a better way.

Ironicilly, the people who don't care and who have never cared about this type of thing - that this very scheme needs to care - don't care enough about the scheme to even complain about it, never mind actively engage with it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

As expected, relabeling is not easy for small craft beer companies

(20% of workforce seems to be 2 people, so seems a bit clickbaity, but the point remains)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's not only clickbait it's completely misleading.

The company are saying they would have to hire two more people not fire two people.

Having said that this is a real issue and will mean the loss of some niche products to the Irish market.

Hopefully some practical workaround can be put in place until an EU wide scheme is developed.

I've raised a few queries on their Facebook posts and no responses. Likewise I notice others unanswered. A few complimentary messages get the thumbs up and some interaction from Return.

Important rule of business is not to piss off your customers. And you should deal with all queries/ comments. This crowd couldn't give a toss about their 'customers' the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

If this scheme is because of EU directives (standard lazy excuse at times), then what about the Single Market? Goods coming from other EU countries will be penalised if they don't have return codes, and given the small size of the Irish marlet, it may not be worthwhile to code cans specially for the Irish market.

For large countries like Germany, there would not be much of a problem, simply because of the size of the market, would make return codes worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Gary_dunne

I get that completely and there are issues with it that I have highlighted and many more in rural areas or people who get their shopping delivered.

"Tens of millions have been spent on this (by various organisations) and when you do something like that you always have to ask was there a better way." - In full agreement with this, never ceases to amaze me the amount of money spent in consultation stages and come up with basic/poorly thought up concepts.

The people who throw their bottles/cans out the window or leave them at a park/beach aren't going to stop doing that (unfortunately) for the sake of a euro or two.

The positive I'm trying to look upon with the scheme is that I now know that mine and others cans and bottles will actually be properly recycled instead of going to landfill because of contamination through misuse of recycling bins.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the public are not their "customers".

the public are literally their workforce here.

they are 'not for profit' so they have no interest in keeping the general public happy or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Continuing to insist on having the label going forward seems to be rather pointless, it's just causing trouble for small producers, and the mixed messaging about how you don't now always need labels has watered down the message massively. What's the point of the label apart from making the seemingly non-existent manual returns process easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I really dont see how this isnt costing more money.

Extra time in shops to process vouchers.

Extra time in shops writing vouchers if they dont have a machine.

Extra time required to clean up the rejected cans left in shops.

Security guards probably need at some point to prevent vandalism.

Machine break downs requiring staff to spend time taking an ear bashing form people who arrive with their bottles.

There is so much time added on to life in general for both Joe Public and supermarket and shop staff, not to mention producers etc that this is just a massive time sink for everyone. Costs come with time sinks.

Jesus what an ill thought out scheme.

• Advertisement

"The positive I'm trying to look upon with the scheme is that I now know that mine and others cans and bottles will actually be properly recycled instead of going to landfill because of contamination through misuse of recycling bins."

And couldn't that have been equally achieved by leaning on the bin collection companies and insisting that they separate the materials properly. You'll have heard of the case in Dublin where a citizen dropped gps trackers in his perfectly clean recyclables and they terminated at the incinerator in Ringsend. The 'contamination' problem has also not been helped by the messaging that all sorts of soft plastic wrappings and crisp bags could be put in recycle bin. These are essentially trash and better suited to incineration.

There were and are other ways of tackling any 'contamination' problems other than inventing a whole new scheme at considerable cost with benefits flowing to certain companies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement