Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

So they should just accept thier lot in life and live forever under an oppressive apartheid regime as their homes/land continues to get stolen and thier children are murdered?

There is not just a binary choice between, Palestinians just accepting their lot in life on one hand and then fighting a war, through violence that don't and can never hope of winning.

There is a choice inbetween Jihad/Hamas and just giving up.

But what they do need to do is give up on violence. Giving up on violence is not giving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭Odhinn

......yet you can't detail what they should do as an alternative, save for some bland empty statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,524 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Why should they give up the violence when they are met with violence from settlers at all times?

Land/houses stolen from them all under the protection of the IDF.

Kids snatched by THE IDF and held for months without trial.

Innocent people killed by settlers again all under the watchful eye and protection from the IDF.

Can't fish for a living, can't farm for a living, can't walk down a fùcking street becasome IDF guy has decided that this week Palestinians are banned from there.

Yes Hamas should give up the violence but for them to do that Israel needs to make concessions too, as well saw with the peace process in NI it wasn't an overnight thing, BOTH SIDES need to start talking, BOTH SIDES need to stop the killing because there will never be peace until BOTH SIDES make concessions and recognise that BOTH SIDES have the right to a land they can call their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,433 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

But what they do need to do is give up on violence. Giving up on violence is not giving up.

Correct answer, except Israel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@tayto lover threadban lifted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,761 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The conditions in Gaza and the West Bank are extremely serious. Some of the comments by politicians from Middle Eastern countries are very true and telling too.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

The non violent route in the west Bank is definitely not working. Is a slow death of any possibility of Palestinian statehood

Nonviolence doesn't guarantee your safety in the West Bank that's for sure.

Israeli troops, meanwhile, did not forcefully intervene, despite their obligation under international and Israeli law to protect all residents of the West Bank, including Palestinians. Soldiers and police were photographed at the scene of the deaths only after the attack ended, even though troops stationed at nearby military outposts were within earshot of the gunfire and had views of an earlier attack by settlers, the visual evidence shows.

Abu Srour was shot in the back, according to a photo and his medical records, which revealed that the bullet “exited from the upper middle of the chest,” causing “bleeding and destroying the lungs.”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

30000 dead, mostly women and children and an everything destroyed is not a just response. Israel is as much an aggressor too, just in different ways

That didn't work on their own. Indias independence came about with the helping hand if a lot of violent means too

• Advertisement

Israel defends itself when attacked.

If you look at all the wars it has faced, they have always been initiated by other parties and belligerent.

That is why fighting a war or using violence against Israel is stupid. It has always failed, so why continue?

Displacing people is not defending itself. Outside of Hamas acts of aggression or other acts of aggression that have lead to wider conflicts deployed the boot down on Gaza and the west bank throughout the last 75 years.

They can't claim to be constantly acting itself defence when they are constantly on the attack

Hamas and the PLO/PLA should take note. 75 years of failure, time to move on.

This is embarrassing at this stage. You're just ignoring that nonviolence played only a part in Indiana independence.

Check the FACTS

You're also ignoring the thousands of non violent Palestinians who get continually persecuted, locked up.

Remember those children on the beach in 2014 shot dead by Israel snipers. They were non violent.

Journalist shot by Israeli soldiers in 2022 was nonviolently highlighting the abuses of Israel. Didn't work. Israel even decided to allow it's soldiers being violent at the funeral.

Violent outbursts by Zionist organisations also played a heavy part in Britain's withdrawal from Palestine in the first place helping to lead to the current mess

So yes, it would be brilliant if nonviolence works, but Israel needs to accept that y relies on violence and aggression. This is not, not as it ever been a one sided thing and it has not remotely always been in self defence.

You'll reply with some utterly pointless and pedantic post about something that plo, Hamas, some scary Palestinian lad started and completely ignore everything Israel has done, so you can again try and be right.

It's okay for you to be wrong. You so very often are. Accept it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭Odhinn

How - exactly - are they supposed to "move on"? What are they supposed to "move on" to?

Thanks for the links as they back my claim.

Your links show that there was violence before Ghandi and after Ghandi. But for the most part, India's independence movement led by Gandhi was achieved using non-violent means, hence why he is so revered.

It is kind of odd, that there are so many of you wanting to paint Ghandi as violent while supporting violence used by Palestinians (its the only thing they have left you say), but decrying violence from Israel.

Another bit of hypocrisy.

If you look at all the wars it has faced, they have always been initiated by other parties and belligerent.

Utter Horsesh!t. I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

"The conflict began on 29 October 1956.[24] At about 3:00 pm, Israeli Air Force Mustangs launched a series of attacks on Egyptian positions all over the Sinai.[25]"

"On 5 June 1967, as the UNEF was in the process of leaving the zone, Israel launched a series of preemptive airstrikes against Egyptian airfields and other facilities, launching its war effort.[28]"

"The 1982 Lebanon War began on 6 June 1982, when the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) invaded southern Lebanon."

"A six month long ceasefire between Israel and Hamas ended on 4 November, when the IDF made a raid into Deir al-Balah, central Gaza to destroy a tunnel, killing several Hamas militants. "

"The 2014 Gaza War, also known as Operation Protective Edge (Hebrew: מִבְצָע צוּק אֵיתָן, romanizedMiv'tza Tzuk Eitan, lit. 'Operation Strong Cliff'),[note 3][26][27][28] and Battle of the Withered Grain (Arabic: معركة العصف المائكول, romanizedMʿa-rakkat Al-ʿasf Al-Ma’kool)[29][30] was a military operation launched by Israel on 8 July 2014 in the Gaza Strip, a Palestinian territory that has been governed by Hamas since 2007.[note 4]"

"Israel's official position on the Syrian Civil War has been strict neutrality. However, Israel has become involved politically and militarily to prevent the growing influence and entrenchment of Iranian forces and its proxies throughout Syria.[1] Israel's military activity, officially called Operation Chess,[2] has primarily been limited to missile and air strikes targeting Iranian facilities in Syria as well as those of its proxies, especially Hezbollah.[3][4] These attacks were not officially acknowledged before 2017."

If you want me to lay out a detailed white paper on how non-violence is going to solve all issues for Palestinians, I am not going to do that for you, as I can't.

But one thing is true.

Their strategy for the past 75 years of using armed struggle and violence has failed. This is a fact. So perhaps they need to try something new and look beyond violence.

If the only retort to that is, well violence is the only thing they have left, then you just admit that the Palestinians have no future.

If the only retort to that is, well violence is the only thing they have left, then you just admit that the Palestinians have no future.

Yet you seem to be arguing the only path forward for Israel is to engage in violence.

• Advertisement

See above.

Armed struggle and violence have failed.

They need to drop the antisemitism, hate, guns and rockets.

Only hope for the future and the future of their children.

Even when there is a ceasefire, Israel breaks it.

Stop uttering total horsesh!t, please.

I have never made that argument. Please quote me.

What I am saying is that on any rational, logical or objective measure, Palestinian and Arab violence towards Israel has been a disaster. It is self-evident.

For example, the war could be over in one hour, if Hamas surrender and release all the hostages. It is that simple.

What ceasefire did Israel break?

Are you forgetting about homemade rockets launched into Israel by Hamas over the past decade?

It seems to me, that any argument I make for non-violent Palestinian resistance is beyond the pale.

So in essence, people here do support the Palestinian armed struggle, thus they support Hamas by proxy, but won't admit it or say it. People can't have it every way. Id rather people be honest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I’m not the one who theorized he may have directly witnessed something. This sub thread started with such an assertion, maybe you should read back.

It need not be an either/or proposition, This goes back to discussions from the very beginnings of this thread. There is an argument to be made for armed resistance against an occupier or a power who is oppressing you. Non-violence can work, but not always and it is situation-dependant. The problem, from my perspective, isn’t that the Palestines chose to fight, but how they chose to fight. I suspect the response might not be quite what we are seeing now four months later had hamas not chosen a somewhat… medieval form of armed resistance on 7 October.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think that the figures are now that just under 700 civilians died on October 7th. About 1200 Israelis in total. Obviously the number should have been zero. It is posited on here many times that such figures warrant and excuse the subsequent actions and killings by Israel in Gaza.

I think it is fair enough for someone to have that opinion if they want. All I'd ask for them is to be consistent. Lets ignore the fact that some of the people killed on that day were killed by "friendly fire" either through confusion or chaos, or as a result of the Hannibal Directive, and instead attribute all of them to Hamas.

Now, the thing is, to get 1000+ Palestinians killed by the IDF before 7th October, you only have to go back 3-4 years. So my obvious question for those excusing and justifying IDF action in killing tens of thousands since Oct 7th is what would the 1000+ Palestinians killed in the 3-4 years leading up to that day justify for Hamas? My position is that I don't think either justifies any more killing. But there are many who think it justifies for one side only and not the other.

The playing pitch (for want of a better term) is not level. There is no way that the likes of Hamas could have sustained a 3-4 year long campaign killing Israelis at the same rate that Israelis were killing Palestinians. Is your issue, vis-a-vis "how they chose to fight", predicated on the fact that they did it in one day rather than over time? I don't see how spreading the killings over time really make that much of a difference. If the most salient issue is the murder of the 1000+ people (which I think it should be) then shouldn't the same apply to the 1000+ Palestinans killed leading up to it.

The thing is that I only took the 3-4 years immediately preceding Oct 7th so that the numbers would be around the same. Once you start including 4/5/6/7 years etc, then you begin to dwarf the Oct 7th number in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be asking if I think that numbers and rates may be relevant when discussing matters of principle such as justification for armed action. IMO ratios and rates etc don't enter into the equation.

Consider. If we take the figure of 1,000 Palestinians killed over three years as entirely unjustified killings, that's 30 a month, and we'll add in, say, an acre of Palestinian territory a month taken over by settlements or whatever (I've no idea the actual figures, this is for the example). Does this give rise to the principle of legitimacy of armed resistance? It would seem reasonable to me that it would. What if the figures were actually only 3 a month, and an acre a year? Does the legitimacy of armed resistance decrease? I don't think it would. Armed resistance would still be moral in the absence of any other viable alternatives, all that is different is a delay in the same result. What would decrease would be the capability of that resistance, as fewer Palestinians might feel inclined to rock boats, risk repercussions, etc by supporting such armed resistance. And the reverse would go the other way. If it were 300,000 killed a month, and an acre taken every five minutes, it seems not unreasonable that the entire Palestinian nation would be up in arms. And probably allies as well. The capability would increase, the principle would not change. Commensurate with that level of capability is likely to be the goal. At a lower level of capability, the goal is likely something akin to just "Leave us alone". At the higher level of total war, with sufficient allies, it could be "March on Tel Aviv and depose the Prime Minister." But the principle of armed resistance remains.

Are we agreed thus far?

If so, we'll continue. It works both ways. A few rockets at Israel, and you might get a small bomb or the like going the other way. There's going to be no political desire in Israel to do much more than that. Mobilisations and wars cost money and pull people away from their lives. Piss off enough Israelis, say by killing and kidnapping some soldiers, and you'll get a more robust military response. The Israeli goal of 2006 was the reduction of Hezbollah as a threat by indirect fire, and the return of kidnapped soldiers. The destruction of Hezbollah or its overall capability was not a goal. But piss off every single Israeli by going on an utterly unrestrained rampage, the capabilities which will be made available in return and the goals given accordingly are going to be much greater. This was no military raid by a non-government organization like Hezbollah carried out, this was a large scale terror attack on civilians by a foreign government well beyond the boundaries of anything even remotely authorised under the laws of war. The Israeli goal of the elimination of Hamas as an organised body capable of conducting attacks is I think a reasonable one in the circumstances. There is no need to wait for a second attack to tally 1,400 just to 'make things even', the principle already exists. There is no way that goal is going to be achieved without a -lot- of Palestinian deaths, and that number was never going to be '700' or whatever. There is no 'acceptable' number or ratio. The legitimate, if callous, answer for the amount of Palestinian and Israeli casualties is "As many as it takes, but no more than necessary." Thus is the nature of war. Is Israel killing more than necessary? Perhaps, but that's a different argument. It might be the difference between 10,000 dead and 15,000 or between 2,000 and 200,000, but the numbers have no relevance to the losses taken the other way. As a matter of principle, for example, the laws of proportionality say that you can't carpet bomb a city to kill a guy with a rifle, that casualties caused must be reasonable with respect to the military goal. No numbers or ratios are given. They also don't say that you have to have a proportional amount of losses on each side.

It's not a level playing field, no. Which is why due consideration needs to be taken before you jab a bear with a pointy stick. Even if the bear is stealing your honey, the bear is going to feel somewhat aggrieved in return and cannot be blamed for the response.

And before anyone tries to justify on the basis of "who started it", it's irrelevant for two reasons. 1) The history is so long and complicated that getting a simple answer seems impossible. It goes back generations, and whoever started it isn't likely alive any more anyway. A pox on both houses as far as that goes. 2) The laws of the conduct of war don't care who started it anyway. They care that you have a legitimate reason to fight, a reasonable goal for the circumstances, and fight in a reasonable manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,524 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No, that's not what anyone has said but that's how you have chosen to interpret it.

The hoops you jump through to defend Israel and its murderous apartheid regime is mind-blowing.

Advertisement