Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

The sponsor-less jerseys Look bizarre alright…..😡 in any case looking back at game yesterday there were a serious amount of regulars/experienced players missing/injured etc…..bennets x 3, Hutchinson, Patrick Fitzgerald, prunty, de bourka, Fagan, and maybe one or two more……is there a slight glimmer of hope for later in the year…….?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Personally think the jersey looks better with no sponsor, i want to buy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

We have no star forward to lead the line at present ,with Bennett out we are fairly ruderless in attack and why had we a free taker who doesn't even take them for his club?

Post edited by thesultan on

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Not sure it was coincidence as I was watching on TV but it seemed that once Kiely came on we'd a rake of space out the field. Not sure if Cork adjusted to prevent the goal but having Kiely and Ryan as direct options seemed to stop the hesitation out the field. I'm leaning towards starting the two of them and having one of Dessie/Fitzgeralds floating off them in the peter casey/greame mulcahy role.

Overall I thought we were much better on our puckouts (better shape and structure). Our hurling still isn't there yet, 10+ more wides than Cork. Not sure how much of that is down to not having forwards that can make the ball stick. If you keep Cork defenders close to goal; there's more space out the field. Third quarter it seemed that Cork could push up and meet us at in the middle third and force the hurling error/wide.

It's great to see the hurling intelligence of Leavy and Nolan. Always add value on the ball. Although I'm still not sure what I think of Nolan, would much prefer to see him striking the ball than handpassing. Also not apparent on TV how good he is going backwards.

On Davy; clearly 3 managers have adjusted correctly at half time to Waterford tactics and it's taking too long for the counter adjustment to come back in. He should be pre-empting the opposition adjustment at half time and not assuming that we're going well so keep things like they are. Best teams can adjust on the fly with on field "coaches" and handle everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

No doubt Kiely added a lot when he came on. He probably hasn't consistently hit his potential for Waterford but he's a guy I'd be hoping will come good. Though I wouldn't be too harsh on Kevin Mahony, we were so ponderous moving the ball forward he was double if not treble marked by the time it arrived.

Gaelic statsman normally gives a breakdown of individual puck outs but didn't yesterday. Overall he says we won 20 out of 27 though that includes when we went short. What he does show is that we only turned Cork over three times in their half. When you look at the teams who have beaten Cork well over the last few years, what they all have in common is they engage them as high up the pitch as possible so the ball into the Cork forwards isn't as good. We didn't do that at all. Maybe it's something we're holding for championship against them, I couldn't say.

Free taking is another issue this year. We missed three, Cork missed none. I'd have backed Reuban Halloran to score all of them but he's seeing very little game time.

I thought Paddy Leavy was outstanding yesterday. And getting game time to those who lacked it like Darragh Lyons, Calum Lyons, Billy Nolan, Conor Ryan, Peter Hogan, Jamie Barron will help them. And obviously we have a huge list of players who weren't involved like Conor Prunty, Iarla Daly, Ian Kenny, Kieran Bennett, Jack Fagan, Shane Bennett, Stephen Bennett, Patrick Fitzgerald, Dessie Hutchinson, Tadgh De Burca. You would imagine around seven of those would likely be in our first choice team. However I'm reluctant to focus too much on that as with the way we set up I'm not sure how much freedom there is for those players to express themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

Azzuri won’t sell them unfortunately already asked 😂

When and where are next matches. Is it Kk and Wex both home games…?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dublin Dave 2014

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Dublin Dave 2014

Ref County board

No sponsor as yet Feb 26th

Opportunity missed to promote new supporters club on front of jerseys in the mean time !

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wexford at home March 10th 3.30pm

Kilkenny at home March 16th 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Definitely would be future proof, retro and cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

The Supporters Club which hasn’t been announced yet.

A similar point was raised at the last meeting of the board to put a charity or an initiative to promote Waterford on the jersey while no sponsor. This was ultimately decided against simply because of the cost involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 southsider11

I know he is very new to management, but does anyone else think Shane Dowling might be a good fit for us in the future? Like him as a pundit anyway: no bullshit (in contrast to our current manager, who says he thinks Cork are either the first or second best team in the country...) and smart – plus the obvious bonus of having won an AI medal and two Munster titles, and recent ones to boot. He called out Davy's questionable and extreme micromanagement of the puckouts on the Sunday Game. Said he was at the Clare match last year and doubted whether a manager shouting instructions at his keeper for every single puckout would be effective in a stadium of 50,000.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ72RbRcZto&ab_channel=IrelandAgainstRacism)

Also think the senior players, Barron and Gleeson, etc., would probably buy in to someone like Dowling quickly and that would be an important factor in "rehabilitation" after Davy – as Christ knows they will need a reset to counter Fitz's defeatist tactics and mindset. I know it's probably wishful thinking, as he was only just appointed Limerick minor manager in Sept 2023. But believe he could be the kind of boss we could do with to steady the ship, reverse the damage, and renew the players' belief in their own ability.

Sunday game Clip 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r6aaY1mMt0&ab_channel=AntiMisandryIreland

Post edited by southsider11 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭razorronan

I here he takes good positions out on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shockframe

I just wanted to ask have ye taken heavy defeats in the League the last 5-6 years?

Davy was making a point about how ye would have thrown in the towel a few seasons ago if 10 points down but I don't recall that happening in the league.

I would think you are correct. Davey is just throwing out horsesh1te statements to make ‘himself’ look good/appear to be making progress…😡

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

Ah here you might as well be bet by 20 points than 1 point, you get bet you get bet.

If your attitude is, let's go out and not lose by a lot you are off to a bad start.

"Have ye taken heavy defeats in the league the last 5-6 years"

We won it 2 years ago! That should be the focus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Montys return

In the last 10yrs the only bad leagues Waterford have had were 2014 and 2018 when relegated. We've won it twice, been in two finals, knocked out by Galway (winners) in 2017 and finished 2nd in Covid years where group winners made the final.

So it's not true at all, the league record is much better than championship.

People will read it as self promotion, and maybe it is, but I suppose he has to try and form narratives that give the current bunch confidence so I don't mind it.

Ultimately, championship is all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Fully understand that championship is the be-all and end-all that should be the main focus but just feel that last year as a case in point we stumbled and fumbled our way through the league and then carried that into championship. I know someone mentioned it earlier about the players we'll have coming back but I could swear it was similar talk last year as well and it made little difference come championship, particularly with the type of hurling Davy has us playing. Would be nice to just win a few games (ideally that isn't just the Offaly's/Antrim's/Laois's of the world) to at least build a bit of confidence and the feel good factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

With the new structure in the league next season it is important , do we really want to go into the championship having dropped into a weaker division can you imagine the fragile mood as it is Davy is on the shortest leash in recent memory of any Waterford manager .

A few here were saying they didnt care about the league and playing in the weaker division but now its 'oh we need to be playing in the top leagues'

Fickle bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Care to give one example of any poster saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

I for one think a spin in 1b would do no harm. You have space to try things and not worry about results, will likely win all your games and get promoted, and will be able tobuild for championship ,you can rest your marquee players and get things right while at a slower pace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

A short spin, anymore than 2 years and that would be a problem,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

I think anyone saying that mean they are not bother about winning the league but ultimately wouldn't want to drop to the lower tier.

Offaly, and home games against Clare, Wexford and Kilkenny you would like to think that we would remain in the top division.

From a financial perspective it is important to remain in the top division as the county boards retain the gate receipts from the league.

Winning the league is big for Waterford as they get an extra two games with 50% of the gate receipts for both.

Advertisement