Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

If Burns goes to Munster, Munster's second choice 10 will be better than Ulster's first choice (depends if Ulster sign someone but if tightening their belt, it's unlikely they'll get a better 10 than Burns for less money).

• By all accounts, they can't afford to renew or replace. Jake will probably see more game time and there's talk that Doak will move to 10

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ulster should just pick up all the young 10s kicking their heels in the academy, get Gareth Steenson out of retirement to oversee them as they battle to be Ulster's no 1 no 10.

Yes, that's why I said Munster's second choice 10 will be better than Ulster's first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i agree overall, but i wouldnt describe it as a 'coup' to be fair

id argue not signing Burns and giving Butler the reigns when Crowley isnt available would be a much better way of developing him rather than having him sit on the bench behind an average enough 10. Butler is 22 (give or take a month), hes old enough to be trusted to run the ship when the international are away. scannell and hicks could provide the cover at 10 on the bench (coughlan has played there for either the 'A' or development team, cant remember which).

i dont think burns is a terrible player or anything like that but id much prefer to put the time into developing a munster developed player rather than bringing a fairly average option from elsewhere.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

He's coming home

A whole raft of contract renewals but no mention of Dillane!!!

The point of signing Burns would be to have an experienced 10 to play in big URC or European games should Crowley be unavailable. If you want to go deep and win competitions, you need a certain level and calibre of squad depth. It's the same reason why Leinster will want to hold onto at least two of RB/HB/Frawley despite Prendergast coming through.

Having a player like Burns between Crowley and someone like Butler is to be expected. There would still be plenty of gametime available for Butler in the hope that after two years, Burns can be let go and Butler steps into his place with someone like Hicks as third choice but looking to push on.

An injury to Crowley and Munster would be left with Butler starting and Scannell covering 10 from the bench, fine for certain games but for an extended period and possibly against top opposition, it is not a situation Munster should be leaving themselves open to.

leinster want to keep them because they are all of a higher standard than Burns though in all honesty (and this is from someone who thinks H Byrne is massively overrated and Frawley is better suited at 12/15). obviously squad depth is needed for success but i dont think Burns adds anything really - hes not exactly full of international experience since he only has a handful of caps, hes won nothing in club rugby and he also hasnt been a first choice goalkicker for a number of years. im not a massive fan of carbery at 10 either but if the trade off for him leaving is getting Burns then i think munster are getting a bum deal

thats not even mentioning a certain 10 playing for edinburgh now........

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I know Burns became persona non grata around Ireland, but I'd start him ahead of Frawley at 10 every day of the week if it was up to me. HB will get better, but in a world cup final tomorrow I'd probably prefer BB over HB too. His goalkicking is a legit concern though.

Ulster obviously have a lot of problems, but Burns hasn't been one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Yeah I like him, think you make very well reasoned points about him. He'll be a very capable backup when Crowley is away and if Crowley were to get injured you'd want him at the helm over Butler and Scannell. Butler will still get plenty of game time. Will be a good signing if it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think Burns would be (is?) a great signing.

As #2 #3 pairings go, Burns and Butler are likely a lot cheaper than hypothetical extensions to Joey and Healy too.

Leinster wanting to keep them all has nothing to do with the standard of Burns. If they wanted, they could let one Byrne and Frawley go and rely on the other Byrne (probably Ross), Prendergast and Tector but that would leave them extremely exposed. No team with ambition would accept such a limited depth chart in such a pivotal position if it can be avoided. Munster is no different.

Carbery and Healy both decided themselves to leave. Both had offers which they saw as more attractive, most likely due to factors outside of salary which Munster couldn't compete with. I'm sure Munster would love to have one of them next season but that isn't the case. Burns is an excellent next choice as he is a good player, plenty of experience, is Irish qualified, wont be called up for internationals, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Burns will comfortably be the best back up outhalf on the island. I've never understood the weird way in which he is underrated. I can only put it down to a lack of exposure/viewing from the other provinces.

His test career has slipped away but he's still only one of a few guys that Farrell has ever given a 6N start to. He has outplayed all the other provincial outhalves that he has faced this season picking up MOTM away to Leinster and being a good contender for it against Munster.

Munster boss Graham Rowntree poised to add senior fly-half to his squad

More here without actually naming who he is head hunting

For Irish fans if you're not a strong goal kicker you're not a good 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

Burns is a good player but his kicking game from hand and tee is very poor. That's not an issue for Ulster because they have two very good kickers at scrumhalf. Munster don't so Burns will be primary goal kicker when he plays. For that reason alone I don't see him as a good fit in Munster.

I'm sure the question Rowntree is asking is; would we be happy going into a must-win URC or European game against a top team with Butler starting 10 and Scannell on the bench? That is the reason for signing Burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Munster do have the option to include Rory Scannell in a team with Burns to compensate for the goal kicking i suppose, but then you wonder about signing a 10 that limits your choices elsewhere.

If only they could play Carbery at 15 and have him kick...

• Advertisement

He'd need some boot on him, kicking from France

i see where youre coming from but i honestly disagree with most of what you are saying. even on the leinster part, at a number of times this season they were down to having arguably the fourth choice 10 involved in SP and they were fine

RS seems to be down the depth chart at centre at this stage (im a big fan though), theyd be better off just playing him at 10 tbh if he was needed for goalkicking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Interesting that he's name checked Tom Wood. Is he going to get an Academy deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

You'd assume so. Aside from the name, and names can give you the start you need, he seems to have ability too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

His kicking game from hand is excellent. I'd say his kick passing is one of his best traits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

His kick passing might be good but defensive clearances and line kicking aren't great. He has been a very good fit for Ulster and got a lot of game time with very few injuries. Has there been much negativity there about him moving south?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I don't actually live in Ireland any more but from what i see online its mostly people wondering if we will be able to replace him.

Munster team for tomorrow evening

Munster: Mike Haley (Preston Grasshoppers); Seán O’Brien (Mullingar RFC), Antoine Frisch (Paris Université Club), Alex Nankivell (Christchurch Boys High School), Shane Daly (Highfield RFC); Tony Butler (Ennis RFC), Craig Casey (Shannon RFC); Josh Wycherley (Bantry Bay RFC), Niall Scannell (PBC Cork), John Ryan (Muskerry RFC); Tom Ahern (Youghal RFC), RG Snyman (Afrikaanse Hoër Seunskool); Ruadhán Quinn (Ballina-Killaloe RFC), Alex Kendellen (C) (PBC Cork), Gavin Coombes (Skibbereen RFC).

Replacements: Eoghan Clarke (CBC Monkstown), Jeremy Loughman (Athy RFC), Stephen Archer (Cork Constitution FC), Fineen Wycherley (Bantry Bay RFC), Jack O’Sullivan (Sunday’s Well RFC), Ethan Coughlan (Ennis RFC), Rory Scannell (PBC Cork), Ben O’Connor (Highfield RFC).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ahern in the second row again. I do think he'll be better off there long term.

Advertisement