Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete numpty here interested in getting into 3D Printing

Options
  • 11-02-2024 10:27pm

I am very creative, a person of ideas and an avid lover of anything techy. I am interested in getting into 3D printing, but would like recommendations of where to start in choosing a useful printer, and design software. I have MS, and am finding manual dexterity is become a real issue, and have some ideas in my head about how simple products could be shaped to assist me in everyday tasks. I would certainly feel some sense of achievement if I could put some of my ideas into fruition.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

In regards to the software side, there are very capable freeware available. The usual workflow is 3D design software > then slicer software > upload to printer and await your outcome.

Now many Slicers also include design software so the above isn't set in stone.

Depending on what I'm trying to do, I may often design a part or piece in Blender, then I export that to Cura that processes the file into into the work steps and layers for printing.

Other notable mentions are Autodesk Fusion and Prusaslicer.

Now on the hardware side, the most important questions are IMO what size items do wish to print? And in what resolution?

The 2 main types of printer FDM and Resin offer 2 very different use cases IMO.

The FDM printers, can print large parts, with good strength that allows even practical use cases for printed parts aswell as artistic endeavours. Most FDM printers will do 0.01mm layers, but that level of resolution means very, very slow printing.

Resin printers are incredible in the amount of detail they can achieve. I know a few folk big into Warhammer who absolutely love their resin printers and the ease at which they can get to a paintable final print.

FDM prints require additional work after printing to smooth out the surface and prime for printing. Many methods Inc, sanding, filler and sand and acetone smoothing available but, if you want smooth FDM models, work is required.

With Resin, some post print work is needed but generally, far less.

TLDR; Best starting point is deciding what your preferred final objects are and then pick a printer to suit.

• Thanks for your most helpful reply. I looked up various printer options and settled on this:

As it is to be a combination of exercising my creativity, keeping my brain active by a learning experience, and the ability to perhaps produce something useful, I wanted some versatility. Has to be a reasonably decent size, and whilst I haven’t the wish, space or pocket for anything of industrial proportions, this to me looks like a good compromise. 😀

I’ve ordered a bottle of neutral/clear resin to begin with. Intend to create a little piece of “crystal” decorative sculpture of my own design to begin with and teach me how it all works!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The 1st thing I'll say is that resin printing is completely outside of my wheelhouse, but it's deliberately so.

I print using FDM which allows bigger prints and a variety of printing materials. I use mine for model making, props and functional parts. I don't need the level of precise surface level finish that resin offers.

I know that most of the Printer manufacturers have large Facebook groups and often their individual printer models have large and very often very helpful groups too.

Hopefully someone here has more Resin experience and can chime in too.

Enjoy the new hobby, it can be very rewarding.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

what kind of money are you talking for an entry level?

• Advertisement

• I select there just over €800. I am presently selling a house, so decided not to skimp!

• Just delivered!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Cant wait to see what kit looks like setup!

Hats off to your drive and tenacity

IIRC they need good ventilation, but as the man said, not in my wheel house

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• How lovely!

Yes, I imagine it’s going to be fragrant, will have to keep the draft going through the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

No hiding that beast from the OH in this house!

Cannot wait to see the first output

In passing, what make are what look like remote control sockets on the worktop?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

• The OH in the apartment is a mouse, but a friend suggested I make something risqué.

😁

Advertisement