Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISI Fighter Shamima Begum Not allowed to return to the UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

so the supreme court enforced our laws? not seeing the problem TBH.

if a law we introduce is illegal due to other laws and or the constitution then it should be stopped shouldn't it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭volchitsa

The poster said "She lived in the UK her whole life". Not true. She left the UK in February 2015 and it is now February 2024. That's a long and very significant chunk out of a 24 year old's life.

I don't disagree strongly with any of the rest of your post*, but I don't think you can rewrite what another poster could/should have said if they'd wished to be accurate, because their whole argument falls apart on that awkward fact.

• *Not sure that you're correct that she has "no link with Bangladesh" (we just don't know that, but her father lives there, so she has him at least there, and presumably other family members too) and also no reason to have Bangladeshi citizenship: after all, Ireland gives Irish citizenship by right to anyone with even one Irish grandparent, and you don't presumably deny those people's nationality? They don't even have to have visited Ireland.

No link for that? Because in the absence of any better information, Wikipedia disagrees:

Jus sanguinis

According to the Citizenship Act 1951, one method of acquiring Bangladeshi nationality is via jus sanguinis (Citizenship by right of blood). This means one may acquire citizenship regardless of whether they were born on Bangladeshi sovereign territory or not. Bangladeshi citizenship is provided primarily jus sanguinis, or through bloodline, irrespective of the place or the legitimacy of the birth.[2] Therefore, any child born to a Bangladeshi woman illegitimately outside Bangladeshi soil would still be eligible to be a Bangladeshi citizen, whereas a child born to two non-nationals in Bangladesh would not.

She was 15, so there was no question whether the Syrian age of consent was being respected - it was.

But even if there had been a problem with that, Britain did not cause it. She chose to go to a war zone, and chose to live under Islamic State rules, so if Syrian law did not apply, then IS law did. What is certain is that there is no reason that UK law would apply, no matter what.

The argument that the UK age of consent meant anything out there is laughable, and shows how little understanding many people here have of the big wide world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭scottser

All moot. If she committed a crime, let her stand before a UK court and face trial and stop dicking around with this person's citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

How about the actual Bangladesh Foreign Minister?

Technically she had until she was 21 to claim her citizenship, but considering she was threatened with execution if she went near the place, that was always not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,705 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Just to correct you again I never called you a pedophile so that victim card wont work either.

I was refering to the people like you who are desperately trying to make this some sort of child sex grooming pedophilia type case rather than the actual case of a terrorist wanting to be let into a civilised state/continent.

she enjoys the protection of british law being british.

it's just that britain are trying to bully others into dealing with her.

she is a citizen of the UK, it's just that they haven't grown up and come to terms with it yet.

it is ultimately a racial issue because of the various factors involved that lead to the decision to make her stateless.

we have won the argument as britain have been unable to bully bhangladesh to take her on the basis of britain's dubious claims.

• Advertisement

i'm definitely correct as the bhangladeshi authorities have said it's the case that she never had nor is entitled to citizenship of their country.

i've no reason to disbelieve them in fairness as they are going to know their own laws better then anyone else, so i can only go on what they say and what they say is the ultimate authority on the issue.

not every country, especially in the middle east, will have the same rules on citizenship as we do.

britain caused the problem of those choosing to join isis to be able to go without question as it does not believe in policing it's borders.

isis law doesn't exist because isis is not recognised as a country or state so therefore cannot have laws hence said non-laws can't apply.

so yes ultimately british law was breached via sex trafficking.

i trust what the bhangladeshi authorities say on the matter as they know their laws the best, and have no reason to lie unlike the british establishment.

And do you have a link to that? What law is it? Because you may have seen someone say that, but you haven’t given us any evidence of that on here.

EDIT: however we know she never had Bangladeshi citizenship, that isn’t the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Is this the woman people who are defending who said she wasn't phased by decapitated heads in bins? shame on you sick people!

Why would it be British law? You said Syrian law doesn’t apply because they didn’t control that part of the territory, but nor did Britain.

If you think there’s some convention that says that British law applies by default anywhere that there is no other legal jurisdiction, you need to provide a link to that convention.

Because I’m not aware of any such agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You said pedo fetish. That's implying there's some kind of sexual reaction. Once again, I never mentioned the age of consent . This is all stuff in your head.

And this is a child grooming case. In Rotherham loads of children were groomed. Many of those children recruited other victims. Some committed criminal acts for their abusers. We view those children, quite rightly, as victims. Anybody who says that they might be 15 but they knew what they were doing are quite rightly viewed with at a minimum suspicion. And quite often they are viewed with disgust. We don't say that they were 15 so they could have said no. We don't say that they were 15 so it was a consensual relationship. The point of grooming is that the groomers make children want to do horrible things that they would never have done otherwise so they can get the approval of their groomers. We recognise that. It's why the word groomer even exists in this context.

For some reason when it's white girls in Rotherham it's grooming. But when it's a brown girl who's been groomed by ISIS, then she must have know what she was doing. It was definitely not grooming. We're so certain it's not grooming that a trial isn't even needed. She can be punished by being left stateless, in a refugee camp in a country she can never leave.

Just to clarify this point so it doesn't come up again.

It's illegal under international law to strip a person of citizenship if it would make them stateless.

Begum never had Bangladeshi citizenship.

But when she was stripped of her citizenship the home secretary said that she was entitled to Bangladeshi citizenship so she wouldn't be stateless.

But then the government in Bangladesh said she wasn't entitled to it and I believe they were never asked beforehand.

So she has therefore been left without any citizenship of any country.

(I think you agree with me on these things, but to stop the conversation going back and forth I thought I'd put it all down in one place).

I just read this blog. (Yes, I know it's a blog and I generally wouldn't trust it for that reason, but it quotes the commissions findings)

There was something interesting in it. One of the points being appealed was that the home secretary had made an invalid judgement because he did not consider what effect being stateless would have on her. But the appeal was rejected because it was determined that he did consider that. So he knew full well that it was likely to happen and what the effects would be.

Because the law is clear that the HS can strip citizenship the appeals seem to be mainly about procedural processes.

The Special Immigration Appeals Commission is not for the faint-hearted. It sees secret evidence not seen by the person whose case it is considering or her lawyers. The special advocate who presents her case in those secret proceedings advances arguments she and her lawyers will never hear, and without her instructions or those of her lawyers on that evidence. Therefore when the Commission concludes, “The Commission has found this to have been a case of great concern and difficulty” [paragraph 411] those words are to be taken very seriously.

The Commission held that it had been for those advising the Secretary of State, not for the Commission, to decide that “a 15 year old girl who may have been radicalised and was not ‘self-motivated’ acted ‘voluntarily’” [paragraph 285]. Commenting on that decision it pointed out the limits of its powers [paragraph 293]:

[…] although many right-thinking people will strongly take issue with the assessment of those advising the Secretary of State, the Commission has come to the conclusion that the assessment that Ms Begum’s travel was voluntary cannot be impugned on the application of administrative law principles in these appellate proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Well put!

Imprison emergency workers NOW! Scumbags that can do the job of investigating, rescuing or piecing together dead bodies in a professional manner are pretty low are they not?

It's different for Brit's anyway, don't you know that?

They happily sent troops and planes to blow kids to bits in Iraq, the basic reason ISIS became a problem actually. If Britain and the US didn't go on the murdering oil grab, ISIS would have had no base to work from. Facts don't work so well for people that work on the "us good", "them bad" bigotry though.

When a nice Bloke named Brian Haw suggested that slaughtering kids was maybe wrong, they spent years trying to shift him too.

Currently the British are more than happy sending weapons to Israel to blow innocent civilians to bits, there would be dozens of decapitated toddlers amongst these, but no bins to put the heads in as their bins and houses were obliterated as well. This doesn't phase many Brits at all, in fact they prefer to supply Israel with weaponry rather than feed and house their own needy.

So, things are not quite the same when the world is looked on from a British perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Radicalised usually means radicalised for life unfortunately. Its almost impossible to shake off radical brainwashing, especially if someone has been brainwashed from a young age.

Anyone who spent time with ISIS and then returns to the West poses a long term threat and will have to be monitored consistently by security services.

• Advertisement

Except deradicalization programs work. And every other country in europe has them in place and uses them quite successfully. That's why so many ex ISIS members are being repatriated.

And if people have to be monitored, then so be it. But you can't remove citizenship because it saves time for the security services.

From Page 74

These numbers allow me to draw two conclusions. The first is that only one TIS (out of sixty-four convicted TISs in PAIRS) had gone back to prison, and his offense was an ordinary crime. In other words, there are no recorded cases of terrorist recidivism among PAIRS participants. Clearly, however, caution must be exercised in light of the small sample size, the short time the program has been running, and the absence of a control group that could definitively attribute the lack of recidivism to the program’s intervention.

It is important to note that there were also no cases of recidivism among RIVE participants. As of the time of writing, therefore, there has been no terrorist recidivism among individuals in disengagement programs in France since the beginning of the RIVE program in October 2016. This reassuring outcome demonstrates that the right choices were made when deciding which TISs to assign to these programs.  

As he says, it's a small sample size but it's still remarkable that not one person went back to prison for a terrorist related offense. Surely if there was a high risk, there's be at least 1.

It does mention in a later page a participant who committed a terrorist offense, but had not been yet charged. Still one out of 64 is a very small number and you can't punish the other 63 for the actions of one.

It's a British thing, you wouldn't understand.

They used to do it rather a lot at one time, it was great entertainment for the British public who used to turn it into a bit of a party. It was a real treat reserved for nobility, commoners were strung up, that was almost as good, but nothing compared to a good beheading.

It fell out of favour due to the mess and transport problems on British roads, as the popularity and crowds wanting a good party increased, it was decided to satisfy the hard of thinking via the gutter press and celebrity comics instead, where with the aid of nice easy words and coloured pictures the victims could be built up to nobility status and then dragged down and dumped in the "dustbin" of has been's to enable the bloodthirsty mobs to be satiated at brekkers while chomping down their marmalade on toast.

Poor old Begum, ostracised for being too British it seems :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

"charged with a crime and prosecuted".........that's exactly what I'm saying, what do you think I mean when I say "locked up"?

She has been aiding and abetting terrorists for years, by her own admissions. She abandoned her country to fight for them, there's a multitude of charges that could be brought against her.

What about those Brit's that abandoned their country to fight in Ukraine? How come they are not being called to account?

How about the civil servants and MP's in Britain that sorted out a safe haven for ISIS were they not aiding and abetting terrorists? ISIS might be a new name, but a Daesh rebranding does not come with a clean slate.

No you said.

She should be locked up until it can be determined that she no longer poses a threat. If ever.

What crime has she committed that would allow for a complete life sentence?

She has been aiding and abetting terrorists for years, by her own admissions. She abandoned her country to fight for them, there's a multitude of charges that could be brought against her.

Calm down.

ISIS males were promised brides, a lot of these bridges were groomed and trafficked to become baby factories.

She spent most of her time either pregnant or nursing. Where would she get the time to fight for them?

The most they could charge her with is being a member of a terrorist organisation or encouraging acts of terror.

Given she was 13/14 when the grooming started and 15 when she was trafficked, it would be up to a judge to determine her level of criminal culpability if any.

But no, the idea she would be locked up indefinitely is remedial.

Given the conditions the camp is in, I imagine the British establishment are hoping she perishes before she exhausts her legal avenues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Given the conditions the camp is in, I imagine the British establishment are hoping she perishes before she exhausts her legal avenues.

Much like they left her completely innocent, British baby to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

"We have won " ? how invested in this are you ?

regardless i hate to be hte one to burst your bubble there kid but she is now a citizen of the uk , you lost

the person who can has made the decision and its been backed by the appropriate court and been through the appeal

a few squealing fanatics on line aren't going to change that fact , you may have to move on to blaming the brits for everything you don't like on some other thread 😁😁😁

also claiming its a racial issue because of various factors is a laughably weak statement and makes no factual or logical sense

pregnant and nursing according to you ? but not every one

The Daily Telegraph reported that Begum had been an "enforcer" in IS's "morality police", and had tried to recruit other young women to join the jihadist group.[24] The report said that she was allowed to carry a Kalashnikov rifle and earned a reputation as a strict enforcer of IS's laws, such as dress codes for women. An anti-IS activist was also reported by The Daily Telegraph as saying that there were allegations of Begum stitching suicide bombs into explosive vests so they could not be removed without detonating.[25]

and still a committed and unrepentant believer in isis ideologies according to her own words and those of her father

dying the the desert would be the best outcome

The Daily Telegraph? 😂

I'd give you more credence if you stated "My mate Dave told me..."

• Advertisement

Advertisement