Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

And the dutch are very efficient too. Can't see Ireland hitting 68!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Gary_dunne

I'm not defending waste collection companies here for a second as they have been the bane of my life recently since moving house with non collections, no customer service etc. However they cannot control what people put in their recycling bins.

The GPS tracker you mentioned, I'm sure his bin was perfectly clean and all material was recyclable but who's to say his neighbours took the same care. There could have been all sorts of contaminants mixed in with his bin in the truck from people around him not recycling properly and contaminating the entire waste load.

I may be living in hope that the scheme helps increase effectiveness of recycling but I'd rather that than knowing for certain that my cans in my green bin are ending up in Ringsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The positive I'm trying to look upon with the scheme is that I now know that mine and others cans and bottles will actually be properly recycled instead of going to landfill because of contamination through misuse of recycling bins.

Cans and bottles get treated and washed before they are recycled.

Anyway I have bad news for you. This directive has nothing to do with recycling, it's a litter collection scheme. Or in reality a bean counting exercise.

We don't have the facilities at scale to recycle, so they will still end up incinerated (technically recycled or down cycled) and exported.

The reality is, it's more polluting and more expensive to recycle plastic. There is also evidence that it can be more harmful to humans.

The whole thing as our previous environmental minister stated is Green Washing.

Pure theatre, nothing else.

Not one country that has this scheme has reduced it's dependency on single use plastic, in fact the opposite happens.

If they wanted to make a difference to the litter on the go problem, they should have installed proper drink fountains in every city, town and village in country at a fraction of the price.

And then maybe you know force the CCs and LAs to install a bin or 2.

Because they are rarer than telephone boxes.

But but but if they install bins people will throw bags of rubbish into them, well yeah, The alternative is that bag of rubbish goes in the river or the bush.

Also the vast vast vast majority of on the go litter is not bottles and cans.

I can actually see the littering problem become more acute, as the CCs sit on their arsés and believe the RVMs will sort it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

This is what's happening in Drogheda at the moment, the dog waste bins are being removed, seemingly because they're too full and they couldn't be bothered emptying them. How any county council can remove bins and then whinge about litter is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, take places like forest car parks. All used to have bins but Coillte reduced local staff and no one to empty them, LAs could have stepped up and emptied them but no - so they were all removed.

This scheme is an expensive fig leaf to pretend we are doing something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jj880

Agreed. The EU leave it up to the member state to create a bespoke system to suit their needs (like you mention our small market) and plan for any country specific issues. Problem is in the EU a transposed directive is only challenged on a reactionary basis by EU citizens. So politicians (chancers) of the ilk we produce are basically left unsupervised and they know it. And here we are. An Ireland round the corner half job special. Re-Turn:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Raging that some shops who have the machine stipulate that the refund is spent in that particular branch and other shops say they can be spent in any branch of their chain.

Making a simple system more complicated than it needs to be.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Archeron

The whole issue of contamination is a big fallacy, don't know if it's return pushing this message, but it's been mentioned a few times on thread and it's simply not true.

While somebody putting wrong materials in the recycling is an issue, it is not anywhere near the issue being indicated. I know this because many many years ago I worked on a recycling picking and sorting line in one of the major waste companies and they are set up to deal with this. Something horrible like a nappy might cause the few items it touches to end up going to landfill, but the idea that one bad bin can wreck a whole street or trucks worth of material is a blatant lie.

From hands on experience i can say that what I saw was that 95% of what went into recycling bins was put there with the best intentions, and probably 85% plus of the material was recoverable. Yes, occasionally something horrible would appear, but that just went through the process and into general waste while everything around it was recovered with no issue.

It is not in the interests of waste companies to landfill valuable materials. In fact, the company i worked for had fascinating tech in place to recover not just from the recycling bins, but also to recover material such as metal, paper, plastic, soil and stone from general waste too, though that was a lot more difficult to do of course.

If some waste companies are sending all material to landfill or incineration, that's an issue the government could have taken up with the waste companies through legislation. While i can see why there may be negative opinions about waste companies, and no doubt some are dodgy, many of them are doing things 100% right and have been all along.

Contamination of domestic bins is another spoof being pushed to try to justify this system. I personally put it at the same level as the hoardes of homeless people who will apparently pick up litter for the return fee, aka absolute scutter. 

It's not change for me. Its the inconvenient, inflexible way this government has approached this recycling issue that I have a problem with. The system they have provided is too simplistic and will exclude certain parts of the irish communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Oddly, that's probably the best option for it from an environmental POV. People think the plastic just magically reappears once it's recycled, forgetting the fossil fuels and water that are used in order to recycle it. That's if it's a recyclable plastic and assuming it hasn't been recycled too many times. Glass and aluminium, for context, are infinitely recyclable.

• Advertisement

Remember when Dublin Bus was mainly a cash business? The whole thing is essentially this, dressed up as a green scheme.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/over-800-000-of-dublin-bus-receipts-unclaimed-in-2016-1.2919723

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Where are these machines? Probably not needed in Ireland yet given the very low level of in scope products we currently have on our shelves with deposits

The re-turn rules are that the vouchers need to be redeemed in the shop they are issued in. If a shop is happy to extend the voucher to other shops in the chain that's up to them.

There's no need to be angry if some shops want to give more flexibility on the vouchers. You can always exchange for cash and use the cash wherever you want

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

We will suffer from some products not being put on the Irish market

Haven't listened yet but I'm fairly sure medical products are exempt?

It doesn't take a lot of effort to add a small re-turn logo to a can for any brewery. They have to do it for the German pfand system amongst others and seem to be able to do it without complaining much

One option would be to look for an exemption on the logo rather than whinging about it on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The Dutch scheme isnt comparable. It was introduced in phases with large bottles first, then years later smaller bottles, then cans. To the best of my knowledge they are the only country that have tried it this way and talking to companies in the Netherlands it was a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Plastics incinerated DO NOT Count as being recycled as per the EU Directive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The DRS scheme takes the bottles out of the incineration channel. The producers get the plastic back and get it recycled. Incineration would make zero sense to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Bulk machine, and a single bottle/can machine beside it for rejects

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Very good 👍

One of them at the civic amenity site would be very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,600 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've now seen a co-op hardware store that doesn't sell drinks announce that they're starting returns - I assume a RVM as it's starting in a few weeks not right now.

This is somewhere where there was no accessible RVM and only tiny shops / food service places. Going to be other places were a non vendor has a suitable site for a RVM and an existing cash business to do cash outs from.

Will definitely need capital funding for the machines though, this co-op are very good at finding grants for everything so possibly got their one funded to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't think you got the message about why this type of thing isn't an issue in Germany and indeed the logic of it working somewhere else means that it will here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Supervalu Killester finally had their machine working today. Some cans not accepted, and no other option there to recycle them. Voucher not accepted at the til when paying for shopping, so had to go to a separate desk for refund in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bredabe

What this means is that I have to go out of my way to go to the most popular shop to recycle bottles so I can use them in the shops most used. It's annoying I have to do this(or q up as you suggest, cause ppl have time for that🙄) when other stores have flexibility. It makes it hard to teach youngsters to recycle when the happy at the end is unnecessarily difficult.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Are shops using this as an excuse to price hike? Tesco... 8 pack Carlsberg up by 50c, 4 pack Carlsberg up by 2 quid, 6 pack of Lucozade cans, up by 2 quid. All excluding deposit and only went up in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

The stuff that got rejected dis it get manually checked by a human or just dumped.

So Ireland gets the machines for the Rejects. That says it all.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i was in a subway today and got a sub meal, bottle of pepsi max with it.

on paying for it i used the exact change and the guy behind the counter asked me if i had another 0.15c to cover the "government tax". i didnt have it, but he said it was ok "you can keep the bottle" ??

i went outside and checked the bottle, it wasn't a re-turn bottle.

so are some companies profiteering already by upping the price by 0.15 even though they arent paying it themselves at wholesale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

So Ireland gets the machines for the Rejects.

Yay, my own machines! 😄

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement