Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Voting YES for both

I'm veering towards Yes/No having read through all the Twitter #VoteYesNo posts.

Definite Yes for family

Torn on care

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

Voting NO for both

im voting no to both. i don't believe the government has any genuine or credible intent here, on a simple point of equality, they still do not allow people living together with a family to share tax credits, nor will they.

i dont trust them, and i do think there are other motives that we are not privy to at play. this piece in the constitution has never stopped me as a working mother doing what i do, nor feeling somehow "less", so it can stay as it is.

A wanton waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I am voting YES (family amendment)

Its particularly galling that it's on International Women's Day ...such a load of old boxxix.

Never did anything for women based on that article without being dragged to it .

Am so over this crowd 😡

Voting YES for both

I agree with taking the outdated sexism and misogyny out of the constitution. I have concerns about the new wording.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Augme

Voting YES for both

Nothing in the Constitution has any definition placed on it. Large parts of the Constitution will be subjective in nature,hence there reason there has been so.many challenges and court cases involving the wording and interpretation of the Constitution. The reason for that is so things can be changed and adapted without the need for a Referendum. In reality it is almost impossible to define in a document like the Constitution anyway, given he amount of variables that are involved.

In your example, yes they could claim they are in a durable relationship.

The same way courts currently separate one marraige from.another, on the specifics of the individual marraige.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

No mention of single parent families there, it only talks about couples. What about a parent who has a biological or adopted child but who was never-married / never cohabited / never in a relationship? There are so many permutations that it seems to be a minefield.

If our courts follow the UK example above, (as we do in many cases) then it seems that other durable relationship will only refer to the couple in the family unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Voting NO for both

You can get married with a non religious ceremony in a registry office, no Church involvement needed. The ring is an easy sign to show you are in a relationship rather than having to ask too. It’s also a sign of commitment, if you’re together that long with kids I’m not sure why you wouldn’t. It gives you as the father certain rights too and I wouldn’t expect this change to benefit you more than a traditional marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

You seem to have taken umbrage at my questioning your logic, this post reads like you're insulted or offended, if that's the case then I'm sorry. That was not my intention. I'm certainly not trying to misrepresent your opinion, maybe I misunderstood it? I am open to correction, but I read your position essentially to be that the amendment does not adequately cover the broad spectrum of carers in our society, therefore you will vote no.

Regardless my position is not too far from your characterisation "...It'll be a little bit better... vote yes". That seems reasonable. When given two options, choose the least bad one. I'm open to hearing how maybe I'm incorrect in thinking that the current wording is actually less bad than the proposed new one.

I would have voted yes. And so same-sex male marriages would be happening, and that cohort of society would be happier. IT would be a net positive.

Would you have voted no and denied gay men the right to marry, and sent the signal that only heterosexual marriage is wanted in our society?

Voting YES for both

That's because single parent families are already included in the legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Voting NO for both

Undecided yet but airing towards no for both as they seem weak and poorly worded. Will do a bit of research on it before making the decision. I think they should be amended but it needs to be watertight so wouldn't vote yes for the sake of it. Kinda annoying some of the dregs of society that we see protesting at the moment backing a no vote as their beliefs are the antithesis of my moral compass but so be it. What's the odds like in the bookies for this atm.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Which legislation are you talking about?

Do you mean some UK legislation you used as an example of how the UK define a durable relationship? If so, your post (which I replied to) didn't mention single parents, your information was about couples.

Or do you mean the family amendment bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭StormForce13

Voting NO for both

The group referred to in the post to which I was responding.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭StormForce13

Voting NO for both

Michael McDowell* once again exposes the intellectual shortcomings and chicanery of the herd of witless buffoons that the Irish electorate - in its great wisdom - decided should rule over us.

*Column in today's Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,177 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Voting NO for both

Where's the existing 'sexism and misogyny'? I'm genuinely baffled at why women are offended at being acknowledged in the current constitution. Is this sexism and misogyny all in your head?

Taking umbrage ?! ( love it )

At this stage yes . I have already replied a few times to you but you are questioning a very clear decision .

Do you not respect that , even as you say yourself ,

" that the amendment does not adequately cover the broad spectrum of carers in our society " and I will add , nor those with disabilities who want to be treated equally in society.

Pretty clear I think that your premise at voting for "something less bad" in the constitution, ( of all things which should be aiming for the heights of our aspirations especially for vulnerable in society, ) is not what I would agree with .

So yeah I will not vote for it .

Edit to add ..you have not given any other reason why it should be voted for , and the only reason I have been given so far is that it gets rid of a phrase and replace it with an equally useless phrase.

Now if there was a real monetary benefit to people as a result of it being changed...?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Abstaining

Doesn't seem that complicated a concept.

You ask for something. You are given a tenth of what you need and then have to go to the back of the queue again.

Technically you are now a little better off, but because you are now at the back of the queue again you are actually further away from your goal than you were previously.

Better to stay at the front of the queue and get what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I'm voting no for family amendment. This is just a cover up to get more foreign people in. We will be over run if that's voted yes. Can see its gonna happen tho because the ops opinion seems to be rife with everyone. I'm not married either I'd rater the gov threw their tax credits up there arse.

This .

And will stay at the back of the queue cos now they can say " shure didn't we have a referendum on that 10 years ago ?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Voting NO for both

I don't think so. If I recall correctly, the majority here were in favour of both.

Boards though has changed. The broad outlook as become more significantly conservative. This is not just through attrition of posters but there's clearly been an evolution in posters thinking too. It's worth noting that recent polling has younger people being far more critical of things like immigration than the immediately previous generation.

While yes is in the lead in the polling, I suspect Yes won't turn out and that No is much more motivated - for a while host of reasons quite unrelated to the topic at hand.

Really depends on what side turns out and a curve ball like the weather could end up playing a huge part, especially if turnout is as pathetic as expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Voting NO for both

voting the opposite of what Conor McGregor says just because he said it does absolutely come across as odd rationale.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I am voting NO (care amendment)

I might have this wrong, but it seems to me that the constitution is used as a "safety net" for poor policy. It's never used as a way to prevent good policy. As in, the constitution doesn't have to explicitly allow good policy, but it is the legal basis to challange bad policy.

this means that there has never been anything to stop the government from any of the things that they say would be possible under a yes vote.

Just because the constitution says "family is massed on marrige", doesn't actullay prevent a law stating that all "<insert different name for family>" are treated in a certain way. Or a law that provides supports to any parent or family member caring in the home, etc.

If the constitution is read as an "absolute minimum" or our rights, then why would we think that any dilution of the constitution will increase rights in law?

If the government wanted to give non-married couples more rights around tax law, they can without the ammendment - so why dont they?

Likewise, support for carrers who arent women...

on the balance of probability, I think that voting yes can only lead to less rights with less ability to challange bad policy.

Voting YES for both

One example is the international protection Act which convers asylum applications.

The definition above is from the UKs guidance on the EU Settlement Scheme, which provides for non EU citizens in a durable relationship with an EU citizen the right to move ans settle with the EU citizen within another EU member state.

but that's a misrepresentation of what is actually happening. To adopt your euphemism - you ask for something. you are given a choice between a tenth of what you need and zero change, either way you go back to the end of the queue. In that case of course you go to the extra tenth, right?

The options are;

a) change the article, or

b) leave it as is.

There is no c) think of a new wording and come back to me.

if there was I would vote for that.

However, by voting no you are saying the existing phrasing is what you want, nothing more. From that point of view how can you legitimately vote no if you think the change is even slightly better than the status quo?

Yes, I'm questioning your decision because I don't understand it. Do you understand my question, because I don't feel you've answered it at all really. why would you not vote for something less bad? because otherwise, you're voting FOR something more bad - how is that sensible?

I'm not trying to convince you that it is a good amendment, I agree completely with you when you say it doesn't go far enough or represent the reality of caring in our society. but you're voting for the existing wording which is even less in every area you're concerned about, why would you vote for it?

You even imply that you'd vote for the change if it resulted in real monetary benefit, but instead you're voting for the existing wording which absolutely has no monetary benefit for carers or the disabled or any of the other groups you're concerned about.

That will happen no matter what you vote, so why vote no if the amendment is slightly better than the existing wording?

I'm inferring from your use of the word respect, that you think I shouldn't be questioning you in the way I am. Your opinion is one I've heard from others and It just doesn't make sense to me except as some form of anger and misguided protest at the government. I'm hoping this is not the case, that's why I'm explaining my confusion and asking you to clarify your thinking here.

I honestly do not want to keep on at you about this, I am genuinely trying to understand your position, but if you want to leave it here we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Voting NO for both

Care referendum: a definite vote NO.

The changes could be much broader not just include family members as carers. They should have followed option 2 from the Citizen Assembly as supported by the law society in my opinion.

See below:

“The State recognises that home and family life gives to society a support without which the common good cannot be achieved. The State shall endeavour to support persons caring for others within the home as may be determined by law.”

As opposed to the option which we were given to vote on-

The new A42B

“The State recognises that the provision of care, by members of a family to one another by reason of the bonds that exist among them, gives to Society a support without which the common good cannot be achieved, and shall strive to support such provision.”

--

Family referendum: I am 60/40 towards NO.

The first part is the least worst of the two in my view. However, there should, could have been more definitive statements instead of "durable relationships".

The second part (the removal of marriage) as the foundation of the family. I have strong reservations about. As if there is no marriage as the glue/or it is diluted in importance. What is the point of getting married in the first place or having the institution at all?

Also if I did not have these reservations I find it odd that the family will still be described as "moral institution" under the amended A41.1.1 even if it is passed as the need for marriage "on which the family is founded" will be removed in A41.3.1.

It seems like a real contraction in terms to me? Surely the phrase "moral institution" should also be removed for the descriptor of the family, if marriage is no longer the foundation for it?

--

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,050 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I am voting NO (family amendment)

This has all already gone through the citizen's assembly, the AGs office and the Oireachtas. There are limitations to the exposure the Constitution can open up the State to.

So either vote to accept it, or don't. There will be no second bite of the cherry. The current provisions will remain for maybe 50 years, or unless the entire Constitution is renewed with the 22nd Century in mind, not the mid-20th.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Voting NO for both

That's fine, and you're entitled to view it that way. I would view it differently. None of us current generation voted to limit marriage to a man and woman - it predates us and was of its time. But if we voted (in this imaginary scenario) to extend the right only to two men, then we the current generation would be actively choosing to exclude lesbians. That would be wrong as I see it, irrespective of any gains made for gay men. And would amount to a net negative. But of course such a proposal would have been unthinkable anyway - as I feel the care proposal is on careful consideration.

Also regarding your posts on going to the back of the queue regardless if you choose to accept for minor progress, or reject for status quo - how come that wasn't the case when Lisbon was on the table? A referendum can certainly be rerun when it suits.

Regardless, my own view is that the proposed amendment is a significant step backwards and ableist - not a minor step forward at all.

And for those saying this amendment doesn't prescribe family care as the only care or doesn't exclude other care (in response to concerns that it undermines the rights of those needing care to be supported to live independently):

If it's important to remove the "woman's duties in the home" line from the constitution so that the constitution doesn't idealise that view of woman (even if it has no practical impact right now), then it's just as important that the new proposal is not inserted so that care within the family isn't enshrined as the ideal model of care - even if it doesn't explicitly exclude other care.

No I did not imply that I would vote based on monetary benefit but was ASKING if there was anything of benefit to it even monetary.

I don't know and had asked earlier when I posted. Thought you might know?

No its not anger at the government as that would be silly and I am happy that that does not describe me.

Indeed if it were a protest vote why would I be voting yes to the family amendment?

There are many here who have clearly said they will vote that way because something something OGorman or McGregor or other such reason , but you are not quizzing them on their decision.. Now why is that I wonder?

The only anger I have is that this proposal is hyped to be so positive when it is of no benefit to the people affected by it and this from a government and ministers that say they espouse equality and care.. Its just hypocritical.

As to going to the back of the queue any of the impacted groups supporing it are plannig to go back looking for more changes especially in the areas of equality and care outside the home.

I just don't see that as happening any time soon and the more people who reject it might hasten that review

You vote as you see fit I am not trying to change your mind at all.

I will vote as I have said.

You can be happy in the knowledge that you tried to change my mind , senseless as you seem to think it is.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Advertisement

Voting YES for both

I was firmly voting Yes Yes until last week

I have read through the twitter #VoteYesNo discussion extensively.

I will now be voting Yes to Family, No to Care

The care referendum was an opportunity to remove a sexist/misogynist view from our constitution that devalued women. Instead the proposed wording is ableist and ends up rolling back disabled persons rights. It will now be the only place where disabled people are mentioned in the constitution. It frames them only being the subject of care and not as rights holders. It strips their autonomy and independence.

It's now a very firm #VoteYesNo from me.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement