Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

He sounds decent enough!

Not sure if it was mentioned already but there are some rules changes/tweaks for this year:

Two interesting are:

• DRS kicking in after 1 lap instead of 2.
    • The Sprint Weekend format has changed to bring the Sprint Quali from Saturday back to Friday. The Sprint Race will be Saturday morning with the main GP quali later on the Saturday.

Makes the sprint weekend more logical imo:

Friday - Free Practice, Sprint Quali

Saturday - Sprint Race, GP quali

Sunday - GP

There'll be two parc fermé periods on those weekends but at least they can make changes to the cars after the sprint race and before the GP quali starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

Outcome on Horner expected tomorrow / Wednesday.

A decision is expected to be made and communicated on either Tuesday or Wednesday, when Horner is scheduled to return to Bahrain from the UK. The opening practice sessions of the 2024 F1 season take place on Thursday, ahead of Saturday's race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭ricimaki

I wouldn't normally post Red Bulls promotional stuff here, but this is incredible.

Skip to 6:12 to see Liam Lawson in the RB8, and 9:33 for Max in the RB20 if you don't want to see the other bits.

Showing off the brand new car in the wet, before the first race of the season, with some crazy footage. I'm sure the timing is closely related to the Horner stuff.

Interesting to see how much the car slides in the wet from this angle. It's like a video game.

I was just about to post the same video, the footage is brilliant, shame about the wet track for Max’s run although he wouldn’t have been pushing the new car to its limit anyway. The speed of the drone around Copse when following Lawson was very impressive!

I notice they’ve built some new buildings just before the entrance to Maggotts & Becketts? Fancy looking viewing houses or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Was also about to post that video, it's crazy how quick the drone is and manoeuvrable it is.

I notice they’ve built some new buildings just before the entrance to Maggotts & Becketts? Fancy looking viewing houses or something.

Yeah, think it's 6 or 7 houses - they were broadcasting from them last year, although from memoryonly one was finished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭afatbollix

They keep advertising to me on Facebook. If I won the Euromillions I'd buy a flat in Monaco over one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Imagine having those drones for race footage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

From some of the recent Red Bull footage, you can really see how big F1 cars have gotten since the RB1.

It is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Ridiculous. Imagine how much more overtaking there would be with smaller cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,403 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Smaller cars that couldn't get near each other. We had whole seasons without any notable overtakes. I'd take the current cars over that..... if they had v8 or v10 engines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I can imagine every single aerodynamic engineer up and down the grid is analysing that wet spray footage.

The reason for lack of drone footage in TV coverage is because of the risk of the pilot losing communication with their device and the drone going rogue on the race track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Rumors doing the rounds on SM that Horner will be resigning today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Sky Sports News reported that he's flying to Bahrain and doesn't know the results of the investigation. Craig Slater suggesting an update might be available later today...

Yeah just watching the show on sky and they saying the same - Horner on a flight to Bahrain. Drivers press conference on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

They have internet on flights these days. I find it hard to believe he's uncontactable. Unless he wants to be.

Far too much reading into this going on all over the internet. Some saying that he's not in the Team Principle press conference means he's been sacked because, for the last 10 years the Team Principle for the constructors has been in attendance. Couldn't be that F1 don't want it to decent into a media circus or that they don't know if he will be sacked and wanted to have 4 team principles knowing they'll be at the press conference instead of being drafted in last minute

Lazenby just mentioned on the F1 show that they are expecting another statement at 3.30pm today, so 20 mins or so. Craig Slater saying rumours are that Horner will be cleared of all wrongdoing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭rameire

Rumours now stating Horner is cleared of any wrong doing. Full statement at 3.30

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Sky reporting that horner is expected to be cleared of wrongdoing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

boards report that sky report that slater reporting that Horner may be clearly wrong 😂.

• Advertisement

I report that my report earlier of social media reports might have been reported wrong but could also have been wrongly reported as being wrongly reported on for reporting sake

Reports on Sky now that he’s to be cleared of any wrong doing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hamilton sticking his oar in.

Breaking on Sky that he's cleared of all charges

Here we are (from the parent company):

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Grand, lets get on with actual things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

Jaysus. I was sure he was for the high jump. So will she go legal? Could only be the start of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I've a feeling Horners management style rubbed someone up the wrong way and this is the end of it.

Well I can see horner and newey walking in quick time now or else the doctor will be taking an immediate exit.

Looks the the verstappens also backed the wrong horse here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is correct.

If DTS tells us anything (as if we didn't already know), its that the upper management of these multi-billion dollar business organisations, are replete with extreme Type-A personalities; just like investment banking, IT innovation, brokerage, medicine and many other activities.

Some people can't deal with working under that. If they cannot, it does not mean they are being abused, it just means they're not a good fit and should try something else.

Advertisement