Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ElitesTeam

Yulia Navalnaya is who you want for security and Defense in the next European Commission. Putin might actually die from laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Well I did say it was a thing that came straight to my mind for some reason .. did not say whether its a good or a bad idea, though I do think she is a very strong woman and could be an interesting person with a big platform like this

Post edited by aidanodr on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Navalnaya said there are tens of millions of Russians who are against Putin and the war in Ukraine who should not be persecuted for his actions

Yeah, she ain't the answer to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Strong speech from a strong woman

I'm sure Wallace & Daly especially enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

Notice how they didn't ask to be a part of Russia, like some earlier speculations suggested. Even Transnistria knows joining Russia would just mean a lot of draft notices airdropped over Tiraspol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭josip

How does Russia resupply/rotate the garrison there? Sea and overland through Moldova?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Going by Wikipedia, they use Chisinau airport -> road but that was prior to 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

From that linked article:

What’s more, the military threat posed by the troops in Transnistria is “limited,” according to Ambassador Ursu. “Many soldiers are actually local recruits with Russian passports,” he said. “It’s unlikely they’d be willing to die for Russia. Russians’ presence in the backyard is perceived as a bigger threat by Ukraine.”

Transnistria, a narrow strip of land wedged between Moldova and Ukraine, is home to ethnically Russian separatists running a pro-Kremlin breakaway republic. As well as military units, it hosts Soviet-era ammunition depots.

Not sure how much resupplying actually goes on there based on that analysis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Well I’d rather someone qualified and experienced in that area and actually from an EU country rather than a sympathy appointment for a widow.

Here is part of transcript of Yulia Navalnaya at the European parliament that you mention for context.

However, I'm standing here because your voters have an important question. They are asking you about it and then you are asking me. The question is: "How can I help you in your fight?" Last Saturday was two years since Putin started a full-scale war against Ukraine. A brutal and sneaky war. The whole world rushed to Ukraine's aid, but two years passed.

There is much exhaustion, much blood, much disappointment. And Putin has gone nowhere. Everything has already been used: weapons, money, sanctions. Nothing is working. And the worst has happened. Everyone got too used to the war. Here and there, people start to say: "Well, we'll have to come to an agreement with Putin anyway". And then Putin killed my husband, Alexei Navalny. 

Further down:

... In this fight, you have reliable allies. There are tens of millions of Russians who are against war, against Putin, against the evil he brings. We must not persecute them. On the contrary, you must work with them, with us.

I dont see anything wrong with this? There are millions of Russians against this war and against Putin, I am sure of that. Inside Russia is extremely repressive that makes the fight against putin almost impossible. Plus years of this has surely worn down the population.

I also have said here way back that russia is no longer a country, it is as Yulia said, a mafia organisation with Putin at the top. So maybe, as she said, we need to be going after the lawyers, bankers, money people world wide who are running this mafia empire, go after its funding in that way, instead of seeing it as a state. Treat it like and Dismantle this crime empire as has been done many times across the world in the past.

I don't find it a particularly compelling argument. She seems to be largely saying that aiding Ukraine is not the answer and instead we should work to change the government inside Russia.

I do not think the latter is possible and I think, unfortunately, Europe should be on a war footing with Russia which means that yes we should look to cripple their economy and remove their ability to continuing waging war on our doorstep. I do not think Navalny himself ever had much issue with Russian chauvinism, he just had an issue with Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Think part of the concern was that if there was a concentrated push on Odessa, it would be the potential threat of a second front.

Im not seeing that - " She seems to be largely saying that aiding Ukraine is not the answer " .. all she seems to be saying is we are treating Russia like another country and as a country waging war vs in fact in this case its essentially a mafia organisation INSIDE a country that is waging this war.

She did not say NOT to fund Ukraine, nor did she say Ukraine should stop .. from what I see is she is offering on top of this a different perspective that could be used in tandem. Anyway, thats how I read it / listened to above

BTW when you go to this video link of her speech below, there is a tab called SHOTLIST - thats where the text transcript of her speech is:

https://multimedia.europarl.europa.eu/en/video/address-by-yulia-navalnaya_I253743

Look, I'll admit I come into this with a pretty negative view of Navalny overall and that is probably colouring my opinion, but she spent two lines on discussing the current overwhelming issue that Russia is causing Europe and was relatively dismissive about it. Nothing is working because we are not committing enough. They need more money, more weapons, more ammunition.

Frankly, the best way to get regime change in Russia is to annihilate them on the battlefield. Yes, Putin is a criminal and yes he can't be trusted, but this should be a clarion call to provide Ukraine with all they need. Right now, I don't care about Russia beyond securing it's defeat. Focusing on what is best for the average Russian can come after that.

From SKY:

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-war-latest-russia-putin-sky-news-blog-live-12541713

Putin ally accuses Macron of trying to ignite Third World War to stay in powerIf Emmanuel Macron sends any troops to Ukraine they will meet the same end as Napoleon Bonaparte's army, whose 1812 invasion of Russia ended in death and defeat, an ally of Vladimir Putin has warned.

Vyacheslav Volodin, chairman of the State Duma, hit out at the French president after he refused to rule out putting troops on the ground in Ukraine on Monday.

Mr Molodin said Mr Macron appeared to see himself as Napoleon and warned him against following in the footsteps of the French emperor.

"To maintain his personal power, Macron could not think of anything better than to ignite a Third World War. His initiatives are becoming dangerous for the citizens of France," Mr Volodin said.

"Before making such statements, it would be right for Macron to remember how it ended for Napoleon and his soldiers, more than 600,000 of whom were left lying in the damp earth."

What happened in Napoleon's 1812 invasion of Russia?

Napoleon's 1812 invasion of Russia made rapid progress initially and captured Moscow. 

But Russian tactics forced his Grande Armee into a long retreat and hundreds of thousands of his men died as a result of disease, starvation and cold.

And i agree 100% .. "annihilate them ( Russia ) on the battlefield" .. "this should be a clarion call to provide Ukraine with all they need." inc long long range weapons to go after the air bases Russia use to fly sortees into Ukraine eg bases around / near the Caspian sea where many come from i think. And to hit Moscow and St Petersburg also - Goose / Gander. I think all of that should have been the case from the start of this. Russia attacks Ukraine, then Ukraine should be allowed to attack Russia ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They mat have done it again, again and....again?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Yeah, they might have to post the notices instead.

Transnistria isn't much of a country, the area is smaller than co. Tipperary and the population is dwindling.

Massive arms dump there though - Cobasna 

The military depot in Cobasna was created in the 1940s in the Ribnita district, then the Moldavian SSR, now the separatist region of Transnistria.

Currently, about 20,000 tons of weapons and ammunition are stored at this warehouse, of which 57% are obsolete and cannot be used or transported, and access to the area is strictly prohibited, being controlled by Transnistrian and Russian peacekeeping forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

When Ireland played Moldova a few years ago a few us went on a day trip to Transnistria. It was mental! First of all their loaded - blacked out mercs a common occurrence. Beautiful buildings and very clean. It's a little mafia state run by the same dude since the early 90s who has made this place the nirvana the soviet union never was. Statues of Lenin adorn the pavements and the hammer and sickle is on the flag and notes/coins. Like the communist days everyone has a job. Then you have Sheriff FC with their glistening white stadium, sheriff petrol stations, sheriff restaurants, honestly it seemed sheriff had a finger in every pie there.

We were only allowed stay 12 hours - given a special slip at the border. If you were stay overnight the accommodation owner had to take your passport to the local cop shop to have you registered. A list of rules at the border as long as your arm. One of the unfortunates with an earlier crew of Irish lads missed the no smoking at the border rule (smoking at the side of the road no less) and was hauled inside and eventually made to pay a fine.

Given it's location and the state the russian armed forces are in there's no way help is coming anytime soon...and they'd be mad to join Russia like they asked to do years ago as doing so would lead to conscription and the end of the cosy arrangement they have going there.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Russia testing NATO again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

Whatever helps for that POS to die, bring it on. all the bots and nazi sympathizers to be out of sh1tposting jobs. ruSSians to be laughed at for next 200 years. Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Looks like Olaf Scholz is not only unwilling to help with Taurus but seems to want to interfere with others helping. He has revealed that British soldiers are operating in Ukraine helping launch s/shadow missiles! Certainly a leak of information to the enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

Perhaps her best "value" will lie in the fact that while she lives, she's another thorn in Putin's side, as if he didn't have enough with Navalny's ghost. now elevated to the rank of Martyr.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement