Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

As nice as the room is I wouldn’t like one as part of the build up to Christmas is taking the decorations down from the attic and putting them up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Stunning day out there today. Glad the weather kept it til the weekend to give us a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Ireland BP win. It's still on

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

You could get away with it. I remember when I went to Edinburgh passing a house that had an unlit Christmas tree up in the front window, this was in June. I suspect the owners don't frequent the room all year round & just leave it up to save the putting up/taking down. Just keep the room locked if anyone is coming over, no real reason for them to be nosing anywhere else in your house other than the room you are all in primarily or maybe the toilet.

Then again, you could always keep the tree & lights up & go with an all year round tree & decorate for different occasions eg Valentines, St. Patrick's Day, Easter etc, which would give you a good excuse if outsiders did see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

I do remember an item on a programme years ago and there was a man in England who had the house decorated full time all year round. The locals called him Mr Christmas I think and I think he even celebrated Christmas all year round.

• Advertisement

Yes I saw that. He even had a turkey and ham dinner with all the trimmings every day as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭DvB

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

100% it’s a clear mental illness when anything goes to that extreme

Getting ready now to go to a funeral, one of my best friends, his father passed away on Thursday. One of the sad things of getting to the age I'm at now is you start to lose Aunties and Uncles and your friends start to lose their parents.

I'm so lucky to have both parents still alive and because my kids are in their 20s they'll always remember their grandparents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Yeah, my dad is going in to get a stent tomorrow and I'm suddenly quite aware that he's 75. Thankfully they've both been pretty healthy up to now. In laws both gone so mine are all the grandparents my lads have. Youngest is 12 now though so they'll definitely have good memories no matter what. When your own generation is hitting 50 you realise that your parents aren't really that young any more. Sobering thought.

• Advertisement

Best of luck to your Dad today, hope all goes well for him.

My Dad is 75 in June actually and he's in good health, Mam is 73 in May and she unfortunately is not great but she is being well looked after.

We're very lucky that all 4 of the grandparents are still with us, though my Father in Law & my own Mother are both currently undergoing treatment for cancer & my mother in law is also suffering from Alzheimer's so we've a lot going on, & we're all too aware of how fragile the current status quo is and are trying to make the most of having everyone around, the fact we have all 4 and all are in their early 80's or late 70's is a stroke of luck. Our kids are 13 now though so at least whatever happens they'll remember their grandparents as they get older which is lovely as they get on so well with them all.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Having your grandparents is definitely a blessing! I'm in my late 30s and my last grandparent, my lovely Nana, only passed last summer. She's been a huge loss to us but it's been lovely to know that my children knew her & will hopefully have some good memories! My eldest niece is nearly 15 and when she was born, she had 4 grandparents & 7 great-grandparents. It's incredible when you think of it.

My god, it was so cold this morning, colder than most winter mornings, but it was nice and dusky at 6.30am so the bright mornings are defo coming.

Had to scrape frost off the car which wasn't a surprise given how cold it got yesterday & last night, but the flip side was it was almost bright when I pulled into the office car park at just after 7am... bright mornings on the horizon!! (pardon the pun!)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

All 4 grandparents for my kids too.

My parents do all childminding. I drop them off in the morning, they get breakfast/school runs/, and collect hem in the afternoon.

2nd mortgage saved right there and the kids get to know their grandparents so well

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

My mother has Alzheimer's too, she also has Pulmonary Fibrosis so she takes a lot of minding. Have to say my father is absolutely brilliant, it's only when you get a bit older you realise how fragile we are though. When you're young you think you're invincible.

Spot on!

My mam has stage 4 COPD and my father has a lot of leg pain I feel like it was only yesterday they were flying around the place.

Life is so short there is no f’n way I’m working til 65 and beyond.

My plan is 60. So 8 more years and hopefully I'm done with 5.30am starts and 60 hour weeks.

• Advertisement

Yes, absolutely. 2 more years to go on the mortgage so will have that off my back at 53 and will def revaluate my life/work balance.

I'd even take less money for a less stressful job or just rent the house out and use the money to rent a place in Spain, one can dream :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Add me to the list!

I definitely don't want to work past 60 (should plan for that financially maybe 😂) and certainly don't want to be working 5 days a week right up until retirement!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

All good with the oul lad, home with no issues.

Lost MiL to dementia nearly 3 years ago. It's a difficult one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Cold one out there this morning, although thankfully it seems like it is drying up. Back to football training last night & it was baltic out. Took me an age to warm up when I got home. Was still freezing after a shower & a cuppa. 9 year old back to training tonight have forewarned her on how cold it will be.

I can live with the 5 days per week, just as long as its not a 12 hour day & it leaves me financially in a place where I'm not struggling on a state pension. I saw the 3 original owners in here reduce their workload & slowly step back in the last 2-3 years before we bought them out last year so my plan would be for something similar if possible. But with less time to take advantage financially may need to keep myself involved right up until the point I actually retire.

A means to an end basically.

I also would be happy with the basic 5 day week at this stage, I am in most Saturdays at present and we are trying to train up people to cover the weekends so maybe a little light at the end of the tunnel at this stage. You need two days fully off a week or long term your batteries are just going to run down. Also, I find Saturdays are for getting things done like the garden, shopping or cleaning the car and Sundays are for relaxing a bit so you can face another week.

Hard to believe but this day 6 years ago the Beast from the East landed. And nowadays you'd be lucky to see a flake of snow.

Hard to believe is right, had to double check that. 6 years, wow!

I had to call into a pub where we were going to have a charity pub quiz to cancel because the Beast from the East had closed the country down. The owner didn't mind at all the bloody place was packed! 😄

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Aaw... the snow. Happy times. ☺️

On the topic of not so happy times, tomorrow, 4 years ago, the last leap day, Ireland's first case of covid was confirmed. 😳

Advertisement