Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

what I heard was his mrs was from a rich Dublin Family ,so who knows who was the brains of the operation

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Plenty of assumptions being made, truth is none of us know & he's not exactly going to tell anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭acequion

Ego and adrenaline are one thing, downright stupidity is another. And it's downright stupidity to get involved in something as nefarious, whatever the debt pressure and whatever the temptations. And this guy isn't stupid, he's well educated and obviously smart and astute if he can run all those businesses.

Now maybe the guy is just a bad egg. I don't know him personally, but as a keen gardener I'd be a customer, so often had dealings with both himself and his mother and I always found him very polite, knowledgeable and helpful. But then again people can wear many masks. But you'd still wonder how he started in crime if indeed he's found guilty. The other dodgy characters involved in this would not appear to be the type he'd ever rub shoulders with. As for his mother, I'd be beyond gobsmacked if there was even a hint that she was aware of what was going on. And I certainly hope not. I feel very sorry for her and for him too, not to mention his three little boys. There are only losers in this, which again makes you wonder how he could have been so stupid or so desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

I wonder how successful these businesses were in real time or were they just to create a illusion of success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

He must have been in serious financial trouble.

It's complete madness to get involved in the drugs business if you're already successful.

Most people who get involved are from deprived backgrounds and are a product of their environment.

Maybe he thought it would be easy money just fiddling a bit of paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭JVince

COVID was exceptionally good for garden centres. They were amongst the first shops to reopen and all during the lockdown they offered collection.

I know of one in Kildare that had a near doubling of their turnover and he jokingly wants another COVID, so I think that angle can be discounted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Ballyseedys cafe would be where they make most of their money, and that would have taken a big hit during Covid restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Ballyseedy have 140 employees ,does this include the cafe in Limerick ,Cork and Ardfert .Any way you can easy see why some people might have some pity for him ,it is a heavy cost to him ,similar to drug ravaged families troughout the land

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭50HX

He's no different to the other man charged with him but typical white collar bias he'll get a certain amount of "wasn't he stupid/he's a nice man/ what about the poor family" etc

Everyone will automatically look down at JL and refer to him in a completely diff context than to NMCD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

Yes but Ballyseedy while it started out as a garden centre it became more of a restaurant/lifestyle shop, the plant sales I imagine are secondary to the food especially. I'd say I've bought more plates/cake stands/kitchen stuff/clothes out there than I have plants. They had seating for up to 300 at one stage before Covid, there is a smaller amount of seating since. I garden a lot, an awful lot, and it would be the last place I would go for plants as to me they are more an impulse buy by someone having coffee/lunch rather than a serious gardener destination. I have bought a few things there, again very much impulse as they will be something different or particular but certainly wouldn't be buying my bedding plants there for example. They are very expensive for plants compared to the other 2 good garden centres locally that are actually proper garden centres in my opinion.

Don't know what they did during Covid re collections/deliveries etc, I got deliveries from Farranfore alright and was in the queue the day they reopened!

Well he might but that would mean him and his family going into witness protection in some far flung corner of the earth. I hear Mexico has nice weather and surely the cartel wouldn't think twice about him being under their noses.

Yet...All their media interactions by Nathan and his mother is based on their knowledge of gardening/horticultural aspects of their business on tv/radio/,print media ... definitely not the food/cafe route which maybe/not is the true vocation/ cash cow which does seem to be direction they were heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

I'd have no doubt Bernie started out all about the plants but the cafe part took over and sure why wouldn't you run with it! Doubt it was the plan, it just got bigger and bigger, every time you went out there pre Covid more and more space was taken up with tables, sure some days people even sat at the garden furniture displays that were for sale! To me it was more akin to Avoca and sure that's fine too as that's what the demand was for obviously.

Anyway I think I've discussed them enough, who knows what went on! It's all just sad for everyone involved in all families.

Ballyseedy Tralee is a successful format for sure...not too sure about the stand alone based ballyseedy themed cafes in Limerick and cork without the crystal palace themed garden/lifestyle surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I'd agree that there will be an element of class to it all but the evidence will all come out in the wash. The media can't say too much at the moment etc. It seems that one of the individuals was monitored on encrochat as appears to have been up to his eyes in this filth for a long time.

The other one you'd wonder about alright. Greed, stupidity, arrogance, getting in with the wrong crowd through personal use of supply, who knows.

There's a man in Mecim.xick or somewhere down a very significant amount of money so I can't see either talking if they have much sense.

Wouldnt even feel 1% sorry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I'd imagine there is a margin in this business of soiled goods/products seized along the way but its a pretty big amount in this instance hence I'd be surprised if the two boys don't keep their traps shut. I dont think I'd be inclined to talk personally.

I wonder had he insurance!

Fun fact ...I did a tour of autzwich a few years ago. The guide told me the nazi had the camps insured through Lloyds of London in case of fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Rumours around that he's been involved in drugs for 20 odd years, the rumours didn't say was he using or dealing for all that time... Always had cash and never afraid to let people know either, buying drinks for the whole bar in Cheltenham kinda thing... some people are saying they feel sorry for him & all that but the line of business he was in, to quote Omar, its all in the game...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭kerry cow

Any one dealing in drugs are nothing but scum and are destroying the lives of our youth while they swagger around like kings with fancy horses and carriages ,

with rubber necks , not shy of attention, but lapping it up ,

be carefull for what you wish for , it might bite you in the ass ,

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

When thinking about how he might have got into this, 'personal supply' has come to my mind

Possibly taking drugs himself, lots of partying going on, a hefty debt might easily have built up which he might not have been in a position to pay.

He might have been offered 2 options, 1 - work with/for his debtors and make LOTS of money, or 2 - Face the consequences of an unpaid debt to a drug dealer.

In the scenario above either option isnt great!

Only pure guesswork of course, but a lot of people get into drug dealing as a result of drug taking. albeit in a MUCH smaller scale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Whatever about Nathan's story, there is no doubt Leen is a borderline psychopath. He will not be missed.

Was there something on Radio Kerry this morning that Ballyseedy cant pay suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

What is the ownership of the company. Is NMCD the sole shareholder, or is it split amongst the Mother and siblings? He could still be directing business.

Its a minefield of companies, with changes made recently afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭50HX

Is that the start of a full wind up of operations at the garden centre I wonder?

A couple of the companies are registered under McDonnell/falvey but majority of 11 company registrations are McDonnell only

• Advertisement

Seems underhand to me, so there was nothing in the restaurant company account to pay suppliers before they swapped to Smaash...

And they think suppliers will continue to supply them?

Advertisement