Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,433 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yes, Palestinian terrorism. Why the shock, horror?

That you just admitted you only condemn terrorism if it's Palestinian terrorism. Why not Israeli terrorism?

No strategy exists which Palestine can implement on its own, it's being oppressed by an oppressor.

Both sides have to release their hostages. Israel has to withdraw from the occupied territories and a peacekeeping force of a third party, recognized by both the Palestinians and the Israelis, needs to operate between the two and establish in effect a demilitarized zone, and there must above all else be a pathway for a Palestinian State, a 2-state solution.

You keep on expecting me to answer your questions while not returning the favour….?

I literally just answered your question:

Q: Yes, Palestinian terrorism. Why the shock, horror?

A: That you just admitted you only condemn terrorism if it's Palestinian terrorism. 

And see #32848 above.

Why do you not condemn Israeli terrorism? Are you only anti-palestinian-terrorism?

I agree on the end game, ie, a two state solution. I’ve suggested a possible way of moving towards it. Still waiting for you to reveal your own way forward…..

• Advertisement

Just... re-read the post you just replied to? Criminy.

See post #18637. I've previously condemned settler behaviour towards Palestinians.

I suppose I'm also referring to the bombing of hospitals (a war crime) and refugee sites (also a war crime), refugees who are refugees as we know, because they had already been long displaced by Israel without a right of return. Not to mention the sniping of civilians, children, those waving white flags, journalists, etc. but perhaps I digress too much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There are two meanings to that question, and at least three interpretations, before one gets to the answer. So I shall be as complete as possible to try to ensure I answer the question as you meant it.

I believe that the political reaction was proportional. The commencement of a military operation to destroy Hamas as an organised threat is in the realm of reasonable response. This appears to be generally in line with the position of most governments. I say that with the understanding that there is no way that it could be successful in a place like Gaza without significant death and destruction, and quite likely more than some people on this thread would find acceptable.

The various military actions are variable. I personally see no legitimate military purpose to the demolition of that much empty civilian infrastructure, for example. Absent any justification, such actions strike me as excessive and not within the realm of proportionality (Or more specifically, not within the authorised conduct of warfare). That also seems to be more or less in line with the positions of most governments: Even those who are supportive of the Israeli military action as a concept are voicing concerns that the conduct of the action is going beyond the bounds of military necessity. This does not mean that all, or even the majority, of the actions of the Israeli military are disproportionate.

It's irrelevant to the scenario you posted.

I disagree. It is an excellent example of how we as societies permit the practical application of unauthorised 'might has right' despite at the same time reaffirming contrary principles as the correct ones, in order to make things 'work fairly.'

I did read it.

"No strategy exists which Palestine can implement on its own, it's being oppressed by an oppressor."

So if there's no movement, you're ok with current Palestinian tactics, ie, violence primarily directed at Israeli civilians?

• Advertisement

I'll repeat myself I guess:

No strategy exists which Palestine can implement on its own, it's being oppressed by an oppressor.

Both sides have to release their hostages. Israel has to withdraw from the occupied territories and a peacekeeping force of a third party, recognized by both the Palestinians and the Israelis, needs to operate between the two and establish in effect a demilitarized zone, and there must above all else be a pathway for a Palestinian State, a 2-state solution.

How you got from that to, 'being okay with terrorism' I have no idea.

Well apart from the Palestinians (Hamas) releasing their hostages, you haven’t suggested anything else they should do. If this current war ends (and i earnestly hope it does), Palestinian terrorism needs to end, period. It’s contributed absolutely nothing in trying to find a solution.

Palestine has to be party in recognizing a third party to manage a demilitarized zone between the 2 countries, it is not accurate to say I didn't suggest anything else they should do.

Israeli terrorism must also end. Settle violence is a significant part of what sparked the attack in the first place. Settlers are routinely backed, directly and indirectly by IDF forces, the Knesset, and Supreme Court of Israel. The sides have to agree to ceasefire, release hostages, open the path for a 2 state solution and appoint a 3rd party to enforce the space between the two so one can not illegally settle on the other, and the other can not launch attacks into the other.

“Settle violence is a significant part of what sparked the attack in the first place.”

The Hamas attack out of Gaza? Hmmm, were they actually bothered by what was/is going on in the WB? And what did it do? United a country that was riven by division up to that point over the ongoing judicial controversy. What have Hamas gained here? Nothing IMO. Not the first time tbh, and sadly, probably won’t be the last.

"Hmmm, were they actually bothered by what was/is going on in the WB?"

Yes, according to their own prepared, 16 page statement.

In part:

"In light of the ongoing Israeli aggression on the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, and as our people continue their battle for independence, dignity and breaking-free from the longest-ever occupation during which they have drawn the finest displays of bravery and heroism in confronting the Israeli murder machine and aggression. We would like to clarify to our people and the free peoples of the world the reality of what happened on Oct. 7, the motives behind, its general context related to the Palestinian cause, as well as a refutation to the Israeli allegations and to put the facts into perspective."

And what did it do? United a country that was riven by division up to that point over the ongoing judicial controversy.

Exhibits contradict the assertion that it united Israel:

If that's what a United Israel looks like, I'd sure hate to see them divided.

I would contend that your opinions are based on sand if they presuppose for instance that Israel is united.

“Yes, according to their own prepared, 16 page statement.”

A load of PR guff intended for a gullible international audience. Why repeat a tactic that draws an infinitely more violent response everytime? Sure if your promised [guess the number here] virgins in heaven by your leaders, why would you be bothered by things going on in the real world?

“I would contend that your opinions are based on sand”

Hardly, as a majority of Israeli public opinion continues to back the war.

A majority of the Israeli public *does not* support continuing the war.

"A load of PR guff intended for a gullible international audience."

It seems like you won't find any evidence acceptable to demonstrate they are "actually bothered" by what happens in the West Bank, so I'll leave you to your unwashed opinion.

"A majority of the Israeli public *does not* support continuing the war."

That's a poll of US adults????

"so I'll leave you to your unwashed opinion"

An opinion I'll continue to hold vis a vis Hamas BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

That's not what I said. I didn't say they had to use violence to fight either.

Then you agree with me.

Palestinians should move on from violence, stop supporting armed resistance, and groups like Hamas and try and forge a new way.

This is what I find interesting and peculiar.

I made the argument that Palestinian armed resistance to Israel has failed. It's self-evident.

When I suggest they follow a more peaceful means, in following the non-violent philosophy of MLK, Mandela and Gandhi, I get Olympic levels of deflecting and obstruction. In other words, they support the status quo and by proxy in a way they support Hamas, as they are the Palestinian group who are currently fighting Israel.

• Advertisement

It seems quite a few on here don't want to dig any deeper than the Richard Boyd-Barrett/Paul Murphy depth of intellectual nuance on the subject.

You have just made a better argument than me to counter the extremists of Hamas.

Hamas needs to be dismantled and never be allowed to run Gaza again.

There is a certain amount of denialism when we talk about the Israeli-Arab/Palestinian issue.

Israel is winning and has won over the past few decades. Palestinian leaders for the most part have been woeful and have led their people from disaster to another disaster.

For Palestinians to get something out of their lot, they should look at what they did wrong over the past 75 years, and perhaps follow a new way forward.

Non-violent means is one possibility. You will never defeat Israel using violence and armed struggle. They are willing to put it all on the line to protect their people, which is somewhat understandable given their history. So why continue an armed struggle that will only make things worse for your people?

The above shouldn't be controversial but apparently, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I've seen this type of thing said a few times here before and it makes no sense to me.

Palestinians have been fighting for about 100 years. Just about every time they've fought they have been the disproportionate losers. I don't see the war started by Hamas ending any differently either, in fact you can argue it's already been catastrophic for them. Notwithstanding the terrible human/economic devastation, the one sliver of semi-autonomy that Palestinians had in Gaza is likely to be extinguished.

I think Netanyahu is stringing the Americans along with the ceasefire talks. He's been clear from the start his goal is to destroy Hamas and maintain security control over Gaza. Having security over Gaza will mean they can seal the border with Egypt. Just like the West Bank is effectively sealed from the rest of the Arab world, Palestinians won't have the ability to bring the weapons into wage the intensity of the war that they have been doing in Gaza for the last few months. I think he will accomplish those war aims.

My bad, wrong link

https://www.timesofisrael.com/over-half-of-israelis-say-theyre-let-down-by-war-cabinets-handling-of-hamas-conflict/

Why even ask if Hamas is bothered by the west bank if you're just going to supply your own delusion one way or another

The headline in that poll says 53% of the Israeli public don’t support how the war cabinet is handling the conflict. You can’t conflate that with support for the war itself. The poll doesn’t ask that question.

As regards “delusions” re Hamas, no, until they renounce their Islamist driven garbage, i won’t be changing my opinion on them anytime soon. That you want to quibble over even this exposes a rather contrarian approach on your part.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Again didn't say that either. For a man who loves facts you can't help but try and twist a quote to suit your agenda. That's 4 times now.

Again, why not hold Israel to the same standard. Complete hypocrisy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,524 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"Palestinians have been fighting for about 100 years. Just about every time they've fought they have been the disproportionate losers."

And yet you supported the Irish terrorists in their fight to kick out the British who occupied the 6 counties, kinda hypocritical of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,524 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"follow a new way forward.

Non-violent means is one possibility. You will never defeat Israel using violence and armed struggle."

You keep spouting this line yet never elaborate on exactly what you think they should do.

What exactly could the Palestinians do that would make their lives better?

Do you think peaceful protests in Gaza would force the israeli government to open the sea so Palestinians can fish and earn a living?

Do you think peace marches in Khan yunis would force the israelis to allow farmers to sell their goods?

Do you think peace marches in Rafah would force the israelis to end their apartheid policies towards Palestinians?

Do you think peace marches in the west bank would force the israelis to stop settlers murdering Palestinian people?

Do you think peace marches would force the israelis to stop expansion of the illegal settlements and the stealing of Palestinian land and homes?

The reality that any mass protests by Palestinians would result in them being tear gassed and baton charged, Palestinians would reply with stone throwing giving the israelis an excuse to open fire and  kill yet more people as has happened many times in the past.

You keep saying Palestinians should take the non violent position yet you NEVER comment on the Israeli oppression of the Palestinians that cause these flare ups.

Again I'll ask, how much oppression would you stand for before you decided to fight back?

• Advertisement

"Again, why not hold Israel to the same standard. Complete hypocrisy"

But can you not boil this down to some basic logic here in all fairness? If the method you are using to accomplish something isn't working, shouldn't one evaluate what's going wrong and try something else to see if it works?

Advertisement