Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Ultimately, only opening up works in all apartment blocks across the country could provide more reliable information than that report.

Re the time period involved, I don’t have any exact numbers, but it’s fair to say a very large proportion of our overall apartment stock was built during that period - certainly enough that if at least 50% per cent of them have structural issues, makes my initial post asserting that a large proportion of our current stock have fire safety issues or leaks, a valid assertion. The report doesn’t go into noise issues, which I also mentioned, as those issues aren’t seen as critical.

I owned an apartment built during the period, built by a developer with a good reputation, and indeed in a desirable overall development relative to the area it was built in. While if you asked the managing agent or OMC or the majority of owners (most of whom never lived there) if there were issues, you would be told absolutely not, due to a leak I had reason have some very minor opening up works done in my own unit. There was no fire stopping material between mine and the adjoining upstairs unit.

There is a huge, huge element of managing agents/OMCs and indeed owners burying their heads in the sand about these issues, and the “nothing to see here” attitude maintains the prices of these developments so that current owners pass the problems onto future owners and round and round it goes.

I would argue that that report, rather than apartment owners/managing agents/omcs being asked “how much money would you like” was rather a chance for them to anonymously tell the truth about the situations within their developments, without it impacting on the value of their units.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Asking them if they want the Government to pay for remedial work isn’t the most scientific way of assessing problems though. I get your point, but that report does not support your claim as it only relates to apartments built during that period, and seems to be questionnaire based, then extrapolated to provide an estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Blut2

Irish people don't have a unique inability/cultural aversion to living in apartment complexes, though. The reason our apartment % is so low compared to the rest of Europe is simply because we don't build enough apartments, not because 92% of Irish people would refuse to live in them if they existed.

Again, as the go to example just look at the huge numbers of students, 20something, and 30something professionals living in suburban house shares in any city in Ireland. These people would all far rather be in centrally located apartments, but can't, because apartments don't exist in large enough numbers.

In a Dublin context any development between the canals over the past 30 years, and for at least the next 30, should be apartments with a mandatory minimum height of 6 stories to help address this.

For so many reasons (the quality of life for the renters, the families that would be able to move into suburban houses, the lower infrastructure pressure with lots of people having walkable commutes, the more vibrant city center etc etc) the inner city should be medium to high density apartment living. But our governments have made no attempt to encourage this historically, and even in 2024 this isn't showing much sign of change, either. Somewhat horrifyingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

From my own experience of the Dublin property market such problems are certainly not rare. My first port of call prior to bidding was to get a copy of the MC accounts and I don't remember ever seeing any that were in top health.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

The report supports my claim. It doesn’t prove it, but it does support it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Institutional landlords charge higher rents for equivalent property than smaller landlords.

As more small landlords selling up, the rental situation gets worse, even if all those rentals remain on market in hands of institutionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This has been pointed out on this forum many times but there was deniers tgatbitvwas happening. This is just proof to something we knew was happening

Slava Ukrainii

Everyone who can is pricing in the prospect of an outright rent freeze. And the government still pretends surprise..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Most buyers are not buying new builds, and so get no incentives whatsoever to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Excellent points there - and the example of the couple in the midlands is perfect, because the comparative rent that the notional couple would be paying to rent anything like the 400k home you describe would probably be more than the mortgage. Tony Fahy actually wrote an ESRI paper around 2003-2004 suggesting that the real problem with the property sector in general was actually the private rented sector: that a whole generation who had come to normalise escalating rents were buying to fix their monthly outgoings at a time when it was both normal (& legal) to hike rents up every year for sitting tenants by whatever figure the landlord fancied levying.

Original & 2nd Bacon report, tech bust, 9/11 tourism/aviation crash, US interest rate hikes all fed into changes including a two year period of tinkering with property market from 2000-2002 (VAT, stamp duty, interest relief, FTB grant, & levies/duty changes) that led to uncertainty.

But looking at the core point @Greyian made - about the couple earning a combined income of 80k between them - according to tax calculators, if they are renting, paying 3% into a pension & having 2k towards health insurance from work, they'd have a net income of €5,571 per calendar month. Even if they were paying 2k a month in rent they'd still have 3500 left. If they had managed over time to save 10k between them they could even look at developments in places like Balbriggan, Drogheda etc where there are new builds for 350k. 30k help to buy and a bit more savings they would be able to borrow enough for one of those. And as you say there's other properties elsewhere.

• Advertisement

A short article on the market today in the IT, it paints a different picture from the government press releases:

"House prices and rents will remain on an upward curve for the foreseeable future, the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) will tell the Oireachtas Committee on Budgetary Oversight on Wednesday evening.

In its opening statement the institute notes that investment in residential construction here slowed noticeably in 2022. “Ireland was among the countries with the lowest investment in housing in the EU in 2022, only exceeding Greece, Poland, and Bosnia and Herzegovina,” it says. “As a result the rise in house prices and rents is likely to continue, albeit at a slower pace in the case of house prices.”

The institute warns that demand for housing would continue to exceed the supply over the medium-term."

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/2024/03/06/house-prices-and-rents-to-remain-on-upward-curve-says-esri/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

So I think we can all see now what has happened in the last decade as a result of interference in the rental market.

Sit back now and watch then interfere with the rent a room scheme next which is working very well at the moment.

Watch the mass evictions from rent a rooms as they tinker with an already excellent system and then watch what that then does to the homelesess figures, housing availability, rents and property prices. If the mess with the rent a room scheme its going to cause absolute carnage in the rest of the housing sector.

Nobody wants someone living under their own roof that they cant remove straight away if they feel the need to. So they will just evict them at the mere thought of messing with the rent a room scheme. They wont be caught out like regular landlords were when rent controls came in and just got worse and worse for property owners.

Have they said they're going to change the rent a room scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

SF have. Wouldnt it be great if they had a little think about what it will do before they start going all populist and pulling the trigger on changes that will be catastrophic down the road. Its not like they dont have a perfect example of fuking up an entire housing market for decades to look at.

There are some pretty glaring problems with the rent a room scheme that need fixing though.

How is it right that someone can get a social house from state, worth hundreds of thousands of euros, for almost free rent - and then turn around and rent out a room in that house to someone at market prices, tax free, and without impacting their welfare?

You have the very real scenario now of young professionals paying up to 1000e a month in rent, for a room, to someone who got a house for free and who pays nothing in taxes.

Thats not good for society, or morally right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭combat14

are sinn fein offering complete rent freeze if they get into power in the next 11 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Nermal

This couple will agonise over whether to have children, considering whether to add creche fees on to a heavy mortgage while likely commuting a long distance. Near the office they'll probably pass free or heavily subsidised housing given to people who earn as much as they do. As Blut2 says, simply not morally right.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

“Tenants” are probably left leaning losers. These people need to be fleeced. Probably the same crowd who think everyone camping at the IPO “are fleeing war and prosecution”. Europe desperately needs a recession or another bout of inflation….

The people who made it legal for social welfare tenants to rent out rooms in their social housing tax free weren't the tenants. It was our current FG/FF/Green government - they're the only people to blame here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This type of post is not acceptable on this forum.

• Advertisement

Not sure if it is policy but they have made noises in that direction.

Not only are the govt targets well below what they should be (ESRI and others suggest 50k), but they won't even meet their much reduced target this year!

Clearly their approach isn't working - and in the run up to an election year too. Will we see if knee jerk moves to win over voters?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

They'll probably try one of the usual excuses, like blaming covid. That or say "it can't be fixed overnight" like they've been saying for the past decade now.

Its a rather serious lack of urgency when it comes to fixing the problem, an objective observer would probably suggest.

"Its a rather serious lack of urgency when it comes to fixing the problem"

that phrase could characterise nearly every government action over the past 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Was at a viewing in Clay farm for 715/760k 4 beds(20 in total i think) and they were snapped up within 30 mins !

People who went to open viewing next day only had option to join cancellation list which was 50+ at EOD…

Market is hot and its relentless!

Jeez, I had a look at the website. They're nice houses alright, but 3/4 of a mil for a standard semi-d is crazy.

Are they even in Leopardstown? Maybe it just sounds nicer than Kilgobbin or Stepaside (looking at google maps)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Villa05

I feel ye are giving the government far too much credit.

Most problems are a result of government interference

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

And I’d say a high percentage of them were snapped by Chinese investors. They’ve been buying up clay farm for a few years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Yes mostly expats - Asian folks at the viewing

Advertisement