Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yeah... A beautiful nutmeg in a champions League game against a Real Madrid player is nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

OTB lads speculating that Poyet said on their show that he was in contract until 31st March, so could be him still

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Yes, it could be him but what if Greece gets through the playoffs? Surely he can't have a contract in place with the chance of going to a major tournament. But maybe he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Ken’s jealousy wishing he was as pithy as Gary Neville is one of the longest running threads on Second Captains

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

The FAI waiting until April is also conveniently at a time when Greece's euro play-offs are finished. Poyet was (and is) really flirting with the Irish job. Given the candidates that are out there, and that his stock has slightly risen since taking over the Greece team, he could be a strong candidate for the job.

• Advertisement

Can’t stop laughing at Damo claiming the FAI have played their cards well and that it hasn’t been a shïtshow

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Gtt

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Hi Flynner

BTW were you ever in the GPA? I'm sure I heard someone mention it once in passing - can't think who 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ken calling Bruno 'a cowardly little rat' had me in stitches

Kerr on the Big Johnny Ireland coaching ticket, Second Captains will be beside themselves with joy

Gilesy>Kerr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Apologies if this has been asked before. I’ve just signed up through their Patreon, and I am wondering is there a way to get the paid podcasts to play through Spotify and if so how please. I know the free ones are there. Cheers

There definitely is a Ferguson problem even if Ken and the Athletic lad want to deny it. Hammered by Fulham with Evan missing big chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭bren2001

He’s 19. There’s no issue. Nobody expects him to be consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

He’s had a disappointing season. Anyone saying he hasn’t is just being revisionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

There definitely is because that's how I listen. I can't remember the process but it was handy whatever it was. It could have been something like "follow this link"

Wilson has been listening to way too much Second Captains, his Spurs match report today was filled with sneering drivel about Werner scoring.

He has had a bad season. That isn’t something to be worried about. He’s 19. Anyone saying it’s something to worry about is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Like most people, outside of Six Nations and the World Cup I don't really pay too much attention to their rugby pods.

I can't help noticing how Simon asks his questions though, it's as if he has to work in how knowledgeable is about it into his question.

A little bit annoying to this subscriber.

Christ ye’d complain about anything. Simon is an absolutely excellent interviewer and sets up his guests perfectly 95% of the time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'll never get sick of that stupidly catchy Timo Werner song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

To add to Ken's pro Liverpool slant - yesterday was a bit of a joke. He dismissed the importance of the refereeing decision in the Forest game which in itself is not really controversial, but then backs that up by playing audio of the Forest fans not noticing what happened and then bringing up the 1978 league cup final. Nuts stuff, it's what you'd expect from a parody Twitter account rather than Second Captains.

It's also grating how he treats Liverpool's rivals on air too. Yesterday was typical in that rather than focusing on how good City are (other than a little on Foden) he prefers to **** on United. Again, ignoring City is understandable given how irrelevant their club is, and **** on United is also quite easy these days, but both positions just happen to fit neatly with what all Luverpool fans are doing after that weekend. Notice as well how much he all of a sudden hates Arsenal and almost sneers at them - I'm not an Arsenal fan but I'm sure Arsenal fans will have noticed. He might struggle to do that much longer with the way they are playing.

Its disappointing - Second Captains is almost exclusively the content I listen to for football, and in the most exciting title race in years it has turned into cheerleading one team.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I laughed out loud at Simon yesterday.

"Do you think we've outgrown the six nations?

Do you think we need to split the country in two?"

Post edited by Ol' Donie on

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭slumdogemillionaire

Yeah, disappointment but not surprised that they have 2 united fans on to talk about the game. Having an Anfield Wrap contributor on after City won the Champions League last year took the biscuit though, he was talking absolute nonsense too.

I understand most listeners are probably united/liverpool fans, especially the Irish listeners which make up the majority I assume but I love the episodes when they have local contributors for other teams come on which is too infrequent, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭jones

I think you might be reading a little too much into it re the pro liverpool slant. Ken has always been like this, he takes a sometimes unique or left field take on things. What i took from yesterday was the overblown nature of the reaction to the mistake rather than the mistake itself. He was pointing out that there was several passage of plays before liverpool scored and Forrest could have cleared the ball etc. Mark Critchley was basically agreeing with him yesterday. He seemed to be more making a point about the whole referee pressure angle and how it's another weird turn for the game to have taken - referee's on the books at clubs to "advise" and all that.

I think it's clear to everyone the ref made a mistake but i don't think we can say Ken was completely biased in the way he spoke about it more that he was speaking about the bigger picture of putting pressure on referees to obtain an outcome without going into the minutia of the mistake itself.

Ken’s points were not even that unique.

the refs decision was tiny. Forrest have only themselves to blame. There was plenty of chances to regain possession. It wasn’t an incorrect penalty call or something.

United were shite. City were not particularly good by their standards. United were shite and that was the talking point of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ken is increasingly Liverpool centric these days. Up until a few years ago you wouldn’t know what team he supports. There was a lad on reporting from the AFCON and Ken was only asking about Liverpool’s players.I remember he only got upset about “let it flow” when pool players got injured. In subjective situations he is always siding with his team. If the ref had messed up and cost Liverpool a goal I do not think he would be so chill about it.

The only Liverpool obsession is the one in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I support Arsenal myself and I have never noticed him sneering at them.

I remember taking the piss out of the shambolic situation at Liverpool loads during the Hicks/Gillet years and he used to get loads of mileage about how gormless Brendan Rodgers was in how he talked about himself in the press. When Liverpool deserved the flack during the years, he's given it to them.

This thing about Ken's Liverpool bias is a total load of nonsense. I've been listening since '06 and in that time Liverpool's fortunes have been up and down and I would have never twigged that he was a supposed Liverpool fan if I hadn't read it here.

It kind of reminds me of when you stumble into the main PL thread in the soccer forum and there's so many posters in there who filter EVERYTHING that happens in anything to do with the game at somehow insulting/taking umbrage at some perceived slight on their main rival. And 90% of the time it's United or Liverpool fans. It's actually crazy how much it orientates their views on everything.

Ken is Liverpool centric and struggles to hide his biases. Mondays pod isn’t the right evidence to point towards. His position was normal enough.

I don’t think he’d kick off if the roles were reversed. It was a nothing mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

According to my records the evidence is a perfect fit.

Advertisement