Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

Well apart from the Palestinians (Hamas) releasing their hostages, you haven’t suggested anything else they should do. If this current war ends (and i earnestly hope it does), Palestinian terrorism needs to end, period. It’s contributed absolutely nothing in trying to find a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Palestine has to be party in recognizing a third party to manage a demilitarized zone between the 2 countries, it is not accurate to say I didn't suggest anything else they should do.

Israeli terrorism must also end. Settle violence is a significant part of what sparked the attack in the first place. Settlers are routinely backed, directly and indirectly by IDF forces, the Knesset, and Supreme Court of Israel. The sides have to agree to ceasefire, release hostages, open the path for a 2 state solution and appoint a 3rd party to enforce the space between the two so one can not illegally settle on the other, and the other can not launch attacks into the other.

“Settle violence is a significant part of what sparked the attack in the first place.”

The Hamas attack out of Gaza? Hmmm, were they actually bothered by what was/is going on in the WB? And what did it do? United a country that was riven by division up to that point over the ongoing judicial controversy. What have Hamas gained here? Nothing IMO. Not the first time tbh, and sadly, probably won’t be the last.

"Hmmm, were they actually bothered by what was/is going on in the WB?"

Yes, according to their own prepared, 16 page statement.

In part:

"In light of the ongoing Israeli aggression on the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, and as our people continue their battle for independence, dignity and breaking-free from the longest-ever occupation during which they have drawn the finest displays of bravery and heroism in confronting the Israeli murder machine and aggression. We would like to clarify to our people and the free peoples of the world the reality of what happened on Oct. 7, the motives behind, its general context related to the Palestinian cause, as well as a refutation to the Israeli allegations and to put the facts into perspective."

And what did it do? United a country that was riven by division up to that point over the ongoing judicial controversy.

Exhibits contradict the assertion that it united Israel:

If that's what a United Israel looks like, I'd sure hate to see them divided.

I would contend that your opinions are based on sand if they presuppose for instance that Israel is united.

“Yes, according to their own prepared, 16 page statement.”

A load of PR guff intended for a gullible international audience. Why repeat a tactic that draws an infinitely more violent response everytime? Sure if your promised [guess the number here] virgins in heaven by your leaders, why would you be bothered by things going on in the real world?

“I would contend that your opinions are based on sand”

Hardly, as a majority of Israeli public opinion continues to back the war.

• Advertisement

A majority of the Israeli public *does not* support continuing the war.

"A load of PR guff intended for a gullible international audience."

It seems like you won't find any evidence acceptable to demonstrate they are "actually bothered" by what happens in the West Bank, so I'll leave you to your unwashed opinion.

"A majority of the Israeli public *does not* support continuing the war."

That's a poll of US adults????

"so I'll leave you to your unwashed opinion"

An opinion I'll continue to hold vis a vis Hamas BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

That's not what I said. I didn't say they had to use violence to fight either.

Then you agree with me.

Palestinians should move on from violence, stop supporting armed resistance, and groups like Hamas and try and forge a new way.

This is what I find interesting and peculiar.

I made the argument that Palestinian armed resistance to Israel has failed. It's self-evident.

When I suggest they follow a more peaceful means, in following the non-violent philosophy of MLK, Mandela and Gandhi, I get Olympic levels of deflecting and obstruction. In other words, they support the status quo and by proxy in a way they support Hamas, as they are the Palestinian group who are currently fighting Israel.

It seems quite a few on here don't want to dig any deeper than the Richard Boyd-Barrett/Paul Murphy depth of intellectual nuance on the subject.

• Advertisement

You have just made a better argument than me to counter the extremists of Hamas.

Hamas needs to be dismantled and never be allowed to run Gaza again.

There is a certain amount of denialism when we talk about the Israeli-Arab/Palestinian issue.

Israel is winning and has won over the past few decades. Palestinian leaders for the most part have been woeful and have led their people from disaster to another disaster.

For Palestinians to get something out of their lot, they should look at what they did wrong over the past 75 years, and perhaps follow a new way forward.

Non-violent means is one possibility. You will never defeat Israel using violence and armed struggle. They are willing to put it all on the line to protect their people, which is somewhat understandable given their history. So why continue an armed struggle that will only make things worse for your people?

The above shouldn't be controversial but apparently, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I've seen this type of thing said a few times here before and it makes no sense to me.

Palestinians have been fighting for about 100 years. Just about every time they've fought they have been the disproportionate losers. I don't see the war started by Hamas ending any differently either, in fact you can argue it's already been catastrophic for them. Notwithstanding the terrible human/economic devastation, the one sliver of semi-autonomy that Palestinians had in Gaza is likely to be extinguished.

I think Netanyahu is stringing the Americans along with the ceasefire talks. He's been clear from the start his goal is to destroy Hamas and maintain security control over Gaza. Having security over Gaza will mean they can seal the border with Egypt. Just like the West Bank is effectively sealed from the rest of the Arab world, Palestinians won't have the ability to bring the weapons into wage the intensity of the war that they have been doing in Gaza for the last few months. I think he will accomplish those war aims.

My bad, wrong link

https://www.timesofisrael.com/over-half-of-israelis-say-theyre-let-down-by-war-cabinets-handling-of-hamas-conflict/

Why even ask if Hamas is bothered by the west bank if you're just going to supply your own delusion one way or another

The headline in that poll says 53% of the Israeli public don’t support how the war cabinet is handling the conflict. You can’t conflate that with support for the war itself. The poll doesn’t ask that question.

As regards “delusions” re Hamas, no, until they renounce their Islamist driven garbage, i won’t be changing my opinion on them anytime soon. That you want to quibble over even this exposes a rather contrarian approach on your part.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Again didn't say that either. For a man who loves facts you can't help but try and twist a quote to suit your agenda. That's 4 times now.

Again, why not hold Israel to the same standard. Complete hypocrisy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,576 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"Palestinians have been fighting for about 100 years. Just about every time they've fought they have been the disproportionate losers."

And yet you supported the Irish terrorists in their fight to kick out the British who occupied the 6 counties, kinda hypocritical of you.

"follow a new way forward.

Non-violent means is one possibility. You will never defeat Israel using violence and armed struggle."

You keep spouting this line yet never elaborate on exactly what you think they should do.

What exactly could the Palestinians do that would make their lives better?

Do you think peaceful protests in Gaza would force the israeli government to open the sea so Palestinians can fish and earn a living?

Do you think peace marches in Khan yunis would force the israelis to allow farmers to sell their goods?

Do you think peace marches in Rafah would force the israelis to end their apartheid policies towards Palestinians?

Do you think peace marches in the west bank would force the israelis to stop settlers murdering Palestinian people?

Do you think peace marches would force the israelis to stop expansion of the illegal settlements and the stealing of Palestinian land and homes?

The reality that any mass protests by Palestinians would result in them being tear gassed and baton charged, Palestinians would reply with stone throwing giving the israelis an excuse to open fire and  kill yet more people as has happened many times in the past.

You keep saying Palestinians should take the non violent position yet you NEVER comment on the Israeli oppression of the Palestinians that cause these flare ups.

Again I'll ask, how much oppression would you stand for before you decided to fight back?

"Again, why not hold Israel to the same standard. Complete hypocrisy"

But can you not boil this down to some basic logic here in all fairness? If the method you are using to accomplish something isn't working, shouldn't one evaluate what's going wrong and try something else to see if it works?

Because Israel has repeated targeted non violent protestors too. Be they journalists, farmers, fishermen or activists just tying to highlight the squalid conditions imposed externally.

So let's start with Israel and ask why can't they give up violence first. Why can't they be held to that standard?

• Advertisement

I'm also still waiting on the poster to answer the numerous questions put to them.

"So let's start with Israel and ask why can't they give up violence first. Why can't they be held to that standard?"

I've nothing against the premise of your question. But isn't it rather important to point out nonetheless that if one side is losing, then the opposition is "winning" (for want of a better term). If the Palestinians want to continue down a violent path then I think your guaranteeing that the message of extremists like Smotrich and Ben-Gvir will gain more and more support among the Israeli public leading to an inevitable worsening of the Palestinian position (and it's bad enough already).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I've never supported or endorsed the IRA, what drugs are you smoking? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So according to Sinwar, Hamas is "winning"- winning to him is the high number of civilians casualties. As he hides in his tunnels . When they say "we love death"- they mean the deaths of others as we hide away like sewer rats.

"and try something else to see if it works?"

Such as? What should they try?

The only suggestion we've had so far is "they should think outside of the box" 🙄

Already previously suggested: an expanded coordinated economic based campaign to boycott settler derived produce. Basically persuade more countries to join the BDS campaign.

Yours is...?

Again didn't say that either. For a man who loves facts you can't help but try and twist a quote to suit your agenda. That's 4 times now.

So you don't agree with armed resistance, but you also don't agree that the Palestinians should stop armed resistance.

So, what do you think they should do instead? Its like you cant bring yourself to the table honestly and assess the reality of the situation.

Again, why not hold Israel to the same standard. Complete hypocrisy

Simply because Israel has won and is winning, in general over the last 75 years. They hold all the cards here.

The Arab world is moving on from the Palestinian issue. The Abraham Accords is proof of that.

You do know that in the US right now anyone campaigning to boycott israeli goods can get you into a **** load of trouble right?

The BDS movement was started by and is run by palestinians, they've tried the boycotting and it's not worked and as you like to remind us doing the same thing over and over is useless.

What's your next brilliant idea?

• Advertisement

What exactly could the Palestinians do that would make their lives better?

I've repeated this a few times, so I'll say it once more as I don't want to repeat this to other posters.

Armed resistance and violence are NOT making the lives of the average Palestinians better. I think we can all agree that the clusterfuck in Gaza is proof of this. It's self-evident.

Palestitnians need to forget Jihad and stop supporting groups like Hamas. That would be a good first step.

They need to elect better less corrupt leaders.

They need to realise that the Arab world is losing patience with their 'poor us' mentally.

They need to cut a deal that offers a future for their children.

They also need to compromise, a lot.

They need to stop teaching hate against their Jewish neighbours in schools.

Now if you want a detailed 100-page white paper, sorry, you are not going to get this from me, but I think all the points above are reasonable places to start.

There have been many many instances around the world and throughout history where non-violent struggle worked in changing the world. MLK, Mandela, Gandhi to name a few. I know some of the contrarian types do a 'whatabout this riot..' here as well, but for the most part, those movements were successful in achieving outcomes and they didn't necessitate blowing yourself up on a bus or slaughtering women and kids on farms.

Now, I know there will be loads of 'whatabout' Israel in response to this post, but the fundamental difference is, that Israel is winning this decades-old conflict. I don't absolve them of everything. I stated before that the settlements in the West Bank are a problem, they are unwise and a blocker to peace.

However, something radical needs to shift in the minds of the Palestinians, as we will be talking about this conflict for another 75 years unless it changes.

Advertisement