Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Oh wow that is mad. Genuinely felt like covid only started 2 years ago not 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

4 years since covid wtf.

I remember being in the office on March 12thish and the CTO saying that Leo is making an announcement. I had left work early to get some food and it was chaos.!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Fast 4 years that.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I was in Italy when it all broke the week before our first case. The panic people had ringing us to see if we were ok. It was mad we were at a football match one of the nights with close to 50,000 at it and the away fans had travelled down from Lombardi where the s*it was hitting the fan and where the first outbreaks were. When we came home nobody would allow us to meet with them in etc. My own family wouldn't see us for a few weeks after we were back. We really did feel like lepers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I don't blame them, the scenes from Italy, especially the Lombardy region, were scary. It's always more frightening when it's close to home.

I remember Cheltenham still took place that March and being baffled, as we were already closing schools and childcare facilities over here.

I did feel at the time like we were at an advantage to the UK, as our leader was a trained medical doctor and the UK had Boris Johnson! 🤪

• Advertisement

Time clearly flies whether you're having fun or not.

Always remember that Cheltenham festival being a real firestarter regarding covid over here, how it was allowed go ahead was an absolute disgrace. Totally on the UK government list of how not to handle a pandemic.

Still hard to believe that was 4 years ago.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

I remember at the very start of the pandemic Westmeath registered one of the highest numbers of Covid cases in the country despite having one the smaller populations and the cause was traced back to 23 gobshites from Mullingar who went to Cheltenham.

I know the restrictions were a pain here but the way the British government handled Covid was absolutely disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Andrew93

Also vividly remember trekking through snow what was normally a 10 minute walk took us at least 30 if not more to get to the pub when the snow hit 🤣

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Happy Leap Day every one! Thankfully no COVID this time!

• Advertisement

Also, day 300 on the countdown, into the 200's tomorrow!! A nice way to finish a testing week!

Very much so, busy 100 days coming up, we have ST. Patrick's Day, Easter, May Bank Holiday and June Bank Holiday between now and 199.

After next week a proper run of short weeks too with st Patrick's day and Easter (for those of us who don't work good Friday anyway)

Am off the week after Easter Sunday too and am really looking forward to that now as a reward for getting through the first quarter of the year 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Then the government would not enforce a calling off of the Ireland-Italy 6 Nations match.

IRFU were fecked because the government would not make that call and, without that, their insurance would not pay out.

The government were quite happy to let them swing for it, in the public eye

Post edited by Norrie Rugger Head on

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Sadly Dave Myers, one of the Hairy Bikers has died. Just wanted to give him a mention as he seemed like a genuinely nice man and I always remember the chefs that do Christmas specials and food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I was quite sad when I heard that earlier. They have a new show on BBC at the moment so I assumed he had recovered, but he was still having treatment while filming. I love watching all cookery shows and have seen many of theirs. May he rest in peace.

I was really sorry to hear that today, I was hoping he had turned a corner and would recover. ☹️

The bikers filmed a new series quite recently which only started on the BBC at the start of February.

Sad news.

Happy March everyone.

Into the 200s on the countdown too!

It's Friday and got paid this week...

Wins all round!

Was looking forward to March coming in, Spring arriving, bright mornings etc but bring a brolly folks, that is a wet one.

Brilliant that we've hit one of the milestones on the countdown and it's Friday!

Sneachta!!

All the way in to work this morning it was snowing, nothing sticking thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Just lots of rain here. Went out for dinner last night and it was baltic coming home. Shouldn't have gone anyway cos the cold I was fighting yesterday has fully taken hold. I've no voice, struggling to breathe and everything hutmrts, even my teeth!! Have called sick to work but will still need to drop kids to school. Only good thing is that it's not covid - still testing 4 years later!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Woke up to this, it's still snowing but due to rain a lot later so I'm sure it'll be washed away

We finally got paid this week too. I get paid on the last Thursday of every month and February was a five week month for us! Stupid leap day.

Was a 5 weeker for us too... always a pain those ones.

I did see this online yesterday though!

Tonight, the sun will set around 6pm and won't set before 6pm again until 29th Oct 🌝

Snow here too! Just after all our beast from the east chat. 😂

ooh, that'll be almost 'in season'

Though in fairness, I love seeing the brighter mornings & evenings, it just makes the days seem longer, it can get terribly depressing driving to & from work in the pitch dark.

My thoughts exactly! Although October 29th is still 8 months away, it makes it seem closer when you see something like that.

The clocks change on March 31st this year and from them on, sunset isn't until after 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Happy March, everyone! It's a wet one and freezing out but no snow here yet. If it dropped another degree or so, we'd be in with a chance but as we have the little fella's birthday party tomorrow, I'd rather it didn't!

• Advertisement

Lotto win lotto win lotto win....

Just in case Boards has some sort of manifesting powers.

Advertisement