Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Because Israel has repeated targeted non violent protestors too. Be they journalists, farmers, fishermen or activists just tying to highlight the squalid conditions imposed externally.

So let's start with Israel and ask why can't they give up violence first. Why can't they be held to that standard?

I'm also still waiting on the poster to answer the numerous questions put to them.

"So let's start with Israel and ask why can't they give up violence first. Why can't they be held to that standard?"

I've nothing against the premise of your question. But isn't it rather important to point out nonetheless that if one side is losing, then the opposition is "winning" (for want of a better term). If the Palestinians want to continue down a violent path then I think your guaranteeing that the message of extremists like Smotrich and Ben-Gvir will gain more and more support among the Israeli public leading to an inevitable worsening of the Palestinian position (and it's bad enough already).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I've never supported or endorsed the IRA, what drugs are you smoking? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So according to Sinwar, Hamas is "winning"- winning to him is the high number of civilians casualties. As he hides in his tunnels . When they say "we love death"- they mean the deaths of others as we hide away like sewer rats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,524 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"and try something else to see if it works?"

Such as? What should they try?

The only suggestion we've had so far is "they should think outside of the box" 🙄

Already previously suggested: an expanded coordinated economic based campaign to boycott settler derived produce. Basically persuade more countries to join the BDS campaign.

Yours is...?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Again didn't say that either. For a man who loves facts you can't help but try and twist a quote to suit your agenda. That's 4 times now.

So you don't agree with armed resistance, but you also don't agree that the Palestinians should stop armed resistance.

So, what do you think they should do instead? Its like you cant bring yourself to the table honestly and assess the reality of the situation.

Again, why not hold Israel to the same standard. Complete hypocrisy

Simply because Israel has won and is winning, in general over the last 75 years. They hold all the cards here.

The Arab world is moving on from the Palestinian issue. The Abraham Accords is proof of that.

You do know that in the US right now anyone campaigning to boycott israeli goods can get you into a **** load of trouble right?

The BDS movement was started by and is run by palestinians, they've tried the boycotting and it's not worked and as you like to remind us doing the same thing over and over is useless.

What's your next brilliant idea?

• Advertisement

What exactly could the Palestinians do that would make their lives better?

I've repeated this a few times, so I'll say it once more as I don't want to repeat this to other posters.

Armed resistance and violence are NOT making the lives of the average Palestinians better. I think we can all agree that the clusterfuck in Gaza is proof of this. It's self-evident.

Palestitnians need to forget Jihad and stop supporting groups like Hamas. That would be a good first step.

They need to elect better less corrupt leaders.

They need to realise that the Arab world is losing patience with their 'poor us' mentally.

They need to cut a deal that offers a future for their children.

They also need to compromise, a lot.

They need to stop teaching hate against their Jewish neighbours in schools.

Now if you want a detailed 100-page white paper, sorry, you are not going to get this from me, but I think all the points above are reasonable places to start.

There have been many many instances around the world and throughout history where non-violent struggle worked in changing the world. MLK, Mandela, Gandhi to name a few. I know some of the contrarian types do a 'whatabout this riot..' here as well, but for the most part, those movements were successful in achieving outcomes and they didn't necessitate blowing yourself up on a bus or slaughtering women and kids on farms.

Now, I know there will be loads of 'whatabout' Israel in response to this post, but the fundamental difference is, that Israel is winning this decades-old conflict. I don't absolve them of everything. I stated before that the settlements in the West Bank are a problem, they are unwise and a blocker to peace.

However, something radical needs to shift in the minds of the Palestinians, as we will be talking about this conflict for another 75 years unless it changes.

I am no fan of Bibi, but Yahya Sinwar and his like are the real nemesis of this war.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/despite-heavy-war-losses-sinwar-brags-to-hamas-officials-in-qatar-that-he-has-the-israelis-right-where-we-want-them-wsj/

Hamas leader in Gaza Yahya Sinwar believes that Hamas is winning the war it started against Israel on October 7, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Despite the successes enjoyed by Israeli troops in the Palestinian enclave where it says it has killed some 12,000 Hamas operatives since the start of the war, the WSJ reports that Sinwar recently informed the senior Hamas officials in Qatar that his ruling terror group “has the Israelis right where we want them.”

According to the report, Sinwar also told the Hamas officials that the terror group is prepared for Israel’s expected operation in Rafah, the Gaza Strip’s southernmost city, and is relying on the high civilian death toll reported by the Hamas-run health ministry to cause enough global outcry that Israel is forced to withdraw.

Hamas is a death cult. For them, the more dead civilians of their people the better.

Maybe it takes an asshole like Bibi to face a guy like that down?

When you say

"They need to cut a deal that offers a future for their children.

They also need to compromise, a lot."

What deals can they cut? What compromises should they make?

Should they not resist when israeli settlers throw another family out of their home?

Should they not resist when their children are snatched off the street, raped, tortured, held for months in military prisons?

Should they not resist when they're told they can't go to work.or school this week because someone has decided Palestinians can't go through that gate or down that road?

You talk about compromise yet never mention any israeli compromise, to you it's always "to the Victor goes the spoils of war" but you also have to remember that Palestinians don't have an army/air force so rockets and suicide bombing is all they have, you and I will never understand that mentality because we've never lived their life but if they are willing to do that how can you stop them?

You also said

"slaughtering women and kids on farms."

I'm sure you can now point me to to your posts ccondemning israeli settlers for doing exactly this for decades all under the watchful eye and indeed the protection of the IDF and israeli government.

You keep coming in and saying Palestinians have to change, Palestinian have to make concessions, Palestinians have to accept decades more apartheid and yet you never expect Israel to to do one thing.

What's your next brilliant idea?

To turn it around, what is yours?

More of the same? Hardly original and will only lead to more suffering.

Remember kids

When posters tell you Palestinians need to change or they should just accept their lot in life here's a former israeli soldier explaining what the average day is like for a Palestinian who is just trying to go about thier day.

Would love any of them to let us know how much of this they would put up with, would they be happy to watch their parents, partners, children etc go through this every day?

No, c'mon I took the time out to reply to you, you're the one who said expansion of the Palestinian BDS movement, I've shown you why that's a no go for some and getting harder for others so if that was your one and only idea I guess that's the end of that.

I said my piece, but you responded with 'whatabout' Israel as expected.

You don't see any responsibility on behalf of Palestinians to change.

They are losing, yet you want the winners to change tact and strategy.

Life and the world ain't like that, unfortunately.

So you're saying Palestinians should just accept living under Apartheid for the rest of thier lives as Israel slowly steals their land from them.

So you don't have one, it's just BDS and that's it, meanwhile Palestinians should just accept they are living under Apartheid rule and watch as they are squeezed off their land by Israel.

• Advertisement

Perhaps you could answer the question, and stop haranguing other posters.

Myself and @Faith Steep Comic have both laid out possible ways for Palestinians to change tact, and get better outcomes. You reject them outright, without considering alternatives to the status quo and cycle of violence.

You haven't suggested anything, BDS was suggested but BDS has been going on how many years. You say trying the same thing over and over is pointless then point to something that isn't working and is becoming illegal because of the Israeli lobbying of governments.

I posted a video of a former israeli soldier a few post back, did you watch it?

How long would you live like that before you fought back? How long would you watch your parents, partner, children, sibling be treated like that? Would you just accept that thisnis your life from now on?

Hmmm, since you're into second guessing other people's opinions can I copy you and suggest you support a violent strategy for the Palestinians, but hey you don't want to say that out loud either.......?

If i was Palestinian, if I watched my family murdered by settlers, if was living under the despicable apartheid regime that they live under then yes, I would probably go down the violence road myself.

If Ireland was invaded tomorrow, the population moved to Leitrim and you lived under the same apartheid regime the Palestinians have had to, would you rise and fight or would you stand at the wall singing Kumbaya while settlers took pot shots at your family?

There it is again " answer the question" yet you flat out refuse to ask questions asked of you specifically about your beih okay with the illegal settlements, mass murder.

Your refusal to answer questions while demanding people answers yours shows the mask slipping further.

The poster they are second guessing has a track record of deliberately taking posts entirely out of their context, twisting them to say something they don't and has atreibuted oosts to the weing poster several times in their game of gotcha. So maybe their posts should be treated with such thought

• Advertisement

No, it's not. Stop being disingenuous.

I have laid it out for everyone. Don't read something else into it that I have not said.

Advertisement