Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Number plate allocation, what lenght? 12XXXX?

• 29-02-2024 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭

If I register an 83 car in Dublin, does it use the modern format of putting a 12 at the front giving 83-D-12XXXX? I tried a few of them in a reg checker and I was getting positive hits for that series being somewhere at 83-D-120070... however I'm also getting hits for the lower ones like 83-D-8XX, are they older imports?

ZV made sense at four digits, but it's gone a bit mad now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Glaceon

As far as I'm aware, they're still issuing 120000+. The lower numbers would be imports from before the system was changed. You can still request a lower number but then have to pay the tax on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

You’ll get a ZV with 5 digits in Dublin.

You’ll definitely get 120xxx. I saw 31-D-120001 at a show a few years ago.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭kdevitt

You can’t request a number on a used car - only a brand new car. They changed it a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Is there anyway to avoid getting a 1200000 on an 1988 import other than going with a ZV reg ?
    Anyone know what Dublin, Kildare , or Louth are up to with the ZV’s currently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭gipi

Other counties don't use the 120xxx number for imports with year plates, their sequence starts at a lower number.

For example, Louth imports start at 11xxx, Meath starts at 15xxx.

I'd say all ZVs are now 5 digits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is the number allocation based upon county you register/live or where the car is registered now? IE, I live in Dublin but my car has an 80 CW reg. Would a ZV be Dublin or Carlow based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭w124man

Dublin as that's where you live

Advertisement