Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Not sure the No side of these debates need posters.

Those proposing Yes flounder as soon as specific questions are asked of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I was firmly voting Yes Yes until last week

I have read through the twitter #VoteYesNo discussion extensively.

The care referendum was an opportunity to remove a sexist/misogynist view from our constitution that devalued women. Instead the proposed wording is ableist and ends up rolling back disabled persons rights. It will now be the only place where disabled people are mentioned in the constitution. It frames them only being the subject of care and not as rights holders. It strips their autonomy and independence.

Marriage Equality and Repeal were about expanding human rights. Family referendum is about expanding human rights. Care referendum rolls back disabled people's human rights.

I will now be voting Yes to Family, No to Care.

It's now a very firm #VoteYesNo from me.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

°°°°°

Funny how you get more right wing as you get older.

(that was a joke btw for clarity, a bit of craic would make a pleasant change from the constant arguing).

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 notJoeJoe

If the No vote wins on the Care Amendment, only one headline will be seen in the international newspapers: "Ireland Votes To Keep Women In The Home". There won't be any nuance to be found. This in turn will provide a massive boost to the far-right with their perceived victory in the referendum.

It'll be like the Brexit referendum. Plenty of left wing people had grievances with the EU but chose to vote Remain because the Leave vote was pushed by racists. Now, 7 years later, we have Tories openly declaring that Islam has taken over the UK - sounds like something the BNP would have been condemned for 20 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The care referendum was an opportunity to remove a sexist/misogynist view from our constitution that devalued women. Instead the proposed wording is ableist and ends up rolling back disabled persons rights. It will now be the only place where disabled people are mentioned in the constitution. It frames them only being the subject of care and not as rights holders. It strips their autonomy and independence.

That's ridiculous.

Care applies to more than the disabled you know.

The State recognises that the provision of care, by members of a family to one another by reason of the bonds that exist among them, gives to Society a support without which the common good cannot be achieved, and shall strive to support such provision.

Nothing there about ableism. Load of bollocks.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

°°°°°

And to think our women almost escaped from the kitchen, nice try ladies, they'll be looking for a vote next.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Care applies to more than the disabled you know.

It does, but that’s not the point. The point is that the wording as it relates to people with disabilities means that the State will strive to support people who provide care for people with disabilities within the family, as opposed to providing support for people with disabilities within the community, recognising their contribution to Society, without which the common good cannot be achieved.

From the point of view of persons with disabilities, I can see where they’re coming from. That’s who is making the point, so to point out that the amendment refers to more people than just people with disabilities, is to miss the point being made which, ironically enough:

Ableism is the discrimination of and social prejudice against people with disabilities based on the belief that typical abilities are superior. At its heart, ableism is rooted in the assumption that disabled people require ‘fixing’ and defines people by their disability. Like racism and sexism, ableism classifies entire groups of people as ‘less than,’ and includes harmful stereotypes, misconceptions, and generalizations of people with disabilities.

https://www.accessliving.org/newsroom/blog/ableism-101

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

So if the greens had changed the wording to 'all women must work and spend no more than 33% of their time in the home', we still should vote Yes because some trash newspaper headline might read "Ireland Votes To Keep Women In The Home" if we vote no, even-though the amendment is totally bonkers. What a fascinating specimen you are.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

I never said that it was. But you'd have to vote Yes to it by your rhetoric.

No I wouldn't lol. That's an entirely different amendment

If that was the amendment, lots of focus would be paid to the absolutely insane and stupid wording of the amendment. The Care Amendment as it is isn't horrible, just cynical. What you're proposing would be, and the conversation around it would be different.

How about we just stick to the actual wording of the amendment (the topic being discussed) instead of whatever terrible hypothetical you come out with, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Caquas

No one knows what effects the amendment on the family would have until the Supreme Court considers a relevant case. Anyone who claims otherwise - whether for Yes or No - is a fool or a liar. Astonishingly, the Government have dodged the entire issue, saying such matters can be dealt with by legislation. But, as everyone in Government must know, any legislation will be null and void if the Supreme Court finds that it offends the Court's interpretation of the Constitution (as amended).

The O'Meara judgement should have stopped this whole process in its tracks because it rejected the Government's understanding of the rights of unmarried families under our existing Constitution. The Court relied mainly on the equality clause of the Constitution (which has been unamended since 1938) in holding that the pension rules discriminated improperly against unmarried families which fulfilled the same social function as families based on marriage.

Should we give widow/ers' pensions to unmarried people? Who should we exempt from Capital Gains Tax? Whose interests should override the last will and testament of the deceased?

These are quintessentially political questions reflecting the society which we could choose democratically but, instead, we are being asked to hand these matters, and many more, to a group of Government-appointed Judges who must try to give meaning to a bunch of deliberately ambiguous words which we could introduce into the Constitution next week for purely symbolic reasons.

Read Roderick's brush-off to Holly Cairns queries about the legal implications of the family amendment. I can't think of any Government which pressed a proposal with such reckless disregard for the legal consequences.

I can't think of any Government which pressed a proposal with such reckless disregard for the legal consequences.

I find that a little surprising, but not unusual in that I can think of many examples of Government doing just that, but a more relevant or appropriate example here would be the case of Murphy v Attorney General. I don’t want to say infamous, as that would be exaggerating, but certainly it had considerable effects on Irish law and Irish society:

In 1979, it was held in the High Court that ss.192, 193 and 197 of the Income Tax Act 1967 were repugnant to Articles 40.1 and 41 of the Constitution “because they created an invidious discrimination against married couples… and because they failed to guard the institution of marriage with special care and to protect it against attack”. Notably, Hamilton J stated that the discrimination was against the “husband in particular”.

Disallowing the appeal brought by the State, the Supreme Court held that the sections were repugnant to the Constitution, and that the effect of the decision was that the sections were void ab initio and had never had the force of law. As such, the Murphy’s were entitled to be repaid the amount of invalidly imposed tax from the financial year immediately succeeding their challenge being brought.

In Legal Cases that Changed Ireland, Scannell writes that while the case was not decided on the basis of sex discrimination, “Murphy was a catalyst for change and was soon followed by a number of other cases which established that unjustifiable sex discriminations were unconstitutional”. Notably, gender stereotyping still survives in Article 41.2 of the Constitution which emphasises women’s ‘life in the home’, despite repeated calls for reform.

https://www.irishlegal.com/articles/irish-legal-heritage-well-heeled-articulate-women

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Caquas

No, there is no comparison with the Murphy case which, like the O'Meara case and many others, deemed long-standing legislation to be unconstitutional. Married couples rightly believed that they were being treated unfairly by the 1967 Tax Act but no one accused the Government of being irresponsible, incompetent or reckless. The Act was operated by successive governments and no AG ever advised that it was unconstitutional until the Murphy case caused a revolution in our Income Tax laws. Similar judicial shocks are experienced in many jurisdictions, notably the United States, without raising questions about the credibility or reliabilty of the Government.

In damning contrast, our Government is now urging us to introduce highly ambiguous language into the Constitution which will have imponderable, but potentially sweeping, effects on society in regard to the rights of families. Astonishingly, the Yes, Yes side do not claim that any direct benefits will flow from either of these amendments, least of all for the carers who are being fobbed of with an amendment which is gender-neutral but carefully crafted to avoid giving any grounds for effective legal action.

The Supreme Court yesterday gave TUSLA a judicial spanking for failing to meet its existing legal obligations to care for two vulnerable teenagers. TUSLA says it can't find the staff needed at the current rates of pay. In what world would the Government ask the People to impose additional Constitutional obligations on the State in regard to care?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

everybody who votes the wrong way is far right.

Oh I agree - care is for everyone but this referendum enshrines care as only a family matter and not something the state should be concerned about. People with disabilities often want to be autonomous and independent. This referendum ironically strips away their rights to independence and autonomy.

This wording ignored all advice.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No, there is no comparison with the Murphy case which, like the O'Meara case and many others, deemed long-standing legislation to be unconstitutional.

There is a comparison, precisely on the grounds which you suggested (which explains why it didn’t occur to you when you imagined there could be no comparison made between circumstances where Government pressed a proposal with such disregard for the legal consequences):

I can't think of any Government which pressed a proposal with such reckless disregard for the legal consequences.

It wasn’t long standing legislation either, it had only been enacted since 1967, and if you’d read the article I provided, there were plenty accusing Government of being reckless, irresponsible and having disregard for the legal consequences.

I said I could think of many examples and I can, but I’m concerned in sharing them that they could draw this discussion off on a tangent. There was the introduction of legislation following the 8th amendment, which the AG and Alan Shatter had warned the wording was ‘dangerously flawed’, and we’re all aware of the 50 year legal shìt-show that followed it’s introduction in legislation.

I can give you another example - the legislation which introduced recognition and regulation of Civil Partnerships for homosexual couples - so inadequately comparable to marital relationships that you’d wonder if they put any thought into it at all, or did they really think about it press ahead with proposals with disregard for the legal consequences. Made defunct five years later by the introduction of marriage equality. I avoid attributing to malice what is more easily explained by incompetence.

And yes, the proposed referendums on the 8th March I do agree with you that Government are pressing proposals without due regard for the legal consequences, and by that I mean that they completely disregarded the proposed wording of the Citizens Assembly on Gender Equality, completely disregarded the opinions of the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Gender Equality which was set up to examine the issues involved, and now Roderic has been sandbagged with the task of attempting to convince the electorate that they should vote in favour of the proposed amendments by declaring that any organisation which advocates voting against it had better have good reason, without having to give good reason for voting in favour of the amendments other than ‘a woman’s place is wherever she wants it to be’, and other such meaningless platitudes which have about as much effect in law as the purported impact on Irish society of voting in favour of both proposals.

Unfortunately, anyone’s reluctance to vote in favour of the proposed amendments makes things difficult for them because it allows for them to be considered in the same vein as Ronan Mullen and his Puppet Master McDowell (‘twas honestly galling to watch the pair of them sneering at him while Roderic had to entertain their nonsense about throuples and all the rest of their BS). That’s why I haven’t bothered to contribute to the discussion in a while, because if there’s one thing I detest more than a Government clearly demonstrating that they haven’t the first clue, it’s identity politics, and both those in favour of the amendments, and those opposed, using identity politics to their particular advantage, while ignoring the substantive legal, political and social implications involved in the circumstances which give meaning to any proposal.

TUSLA being unable to provide for themselves, let alone being unable to provide care for the people they are charged with responsibility for providing care for, comes as a surprise to absolutely nobody whatsoever. The term ‘toothless organisation’ doesn’t even begin to describe it, defined by their ineptitude. Their establishment was as a result of what was called the Children’s Referendum, another example of Government pressing legislation with such reckless disregard for the legal consequences. Unironically one of the lowest turnouts of the electorate ever, only surpassed in electoral apathy by the bail referendum, and it looks as though the upcoming referendum might well usurp both those referendums given the possibility of an even lower turnout of the electorate when they hardly see the point of voting either way and just can’t be arsed.

However, since you do ask the further question -

In what world would the Government ask the People to impose additional Constitutional obligations on the State in regard to care?

I hope the examples I’ve provided as evidence above should be sufficient to answer that question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agree totally and why it's safest to vote No.

What I find extraordinary among those campaigning for these to pass, is that they are prepared to be so reckless. In other circumstances, they'd be a lot more careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It can't strip away something that is not there in the constitution to begin with.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

The ambiguous 'other durable relationships' in the family amendment is what's troubling most people I know. The more I read on this, the less clear it becomes. I was leaning towards a yes vote but since ROG said there will be no change to current laws that favour married families over cohabiting or single parent families, eg inheritance, tax etc. I'm not so sure. If these laws will not change, why is the amendment needed at all?

Nobody seems to know what durable refers to - is it how long a relationship lasts, if there are children, is it blood ties, an intimate relationship, shared parenting, co-living etc. Someone I met at the weekend jokingly wondered if the descriptor includes groups of un-related people who are co-living for possibly decades (religious, people with disabilities, children in care, old age).

Is the family amendment just so ROG can be seen to tick the box for 'diversity equality & inclusion' and the legal consequences can be sorted by all the other departments that this could impact like social protection, housing, justice, finance and others? The bill was hardly discussed or debated by our public representatives in the Dail before being rushed through in time for a vote on International Womens Day 😏😏

• Registered Users Posts: 18,720 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I did not realise that it was held on International Women's Day until yeasterday. That to me is almost sort of sumliminal influence in itself. Implying that you must vote yes, because yes = a vote for women.

This however would prevent people from looking at the more nuanced questions and being well informed. I will be keeping an eye how often "international women's day" is pushed by the media, when there is a moratorium on the referendum discussion.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

Absolutely. The doubt is that defining a durable relationship as that beween a parent and child throws up a few dilemmas. One possible issue:

Article 40.1 All persons are equal before the law. In order to comply, the definition of "durable" for all relationships would have to have no regard for the length of time the relationship was in existence for (as it would be instantaneous at birth).

It wasn't until the mid 1960's that married women were given the Constitutional right to automatic equal guardianship of their children. Unmarried mothers always had the sole right to guardianship and fought to keep that right so that the fathers of children who were born out of, for example, rape would not have any automatic right to guardianship.

If the Constitution changes so that the family is now defined by either marriage or a durable relationship what is stopping a man taking a case to the courts stating he has been denied his Constitutional right to develop a durable relationship with his child if the mother doesn't want it?

That is an extreme example but, as everyone knows, you do not put a baby in a bath without testing how hot the water is. The public have been denied any access to the deliberations between the various government departments regarding the possible consequences of the wording change so all possible outcomes are open to query.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Where exactly are you getting the idea there will be a constitutional right to develop a durable relationship if the amendment is passed?

A double whammy for Irish women. Remove all references to mothers from the constitution on Friday followed two days later by Mothers Day on Sunday!

Because it will be the right of a parent to found a Constitutional Family based on the birth of a child.

If the Constitution changes so that the family is now defined by either marriage or a durable relationship what is stopping a man taking a case to the courts stating he has been denied his Constitutional right to develop a durable relationship with his child if the mother doesn't want it?

That is an extreme example but…

It’s an extreme example, and there was nothing stopping a man from taking a case to the courts stating he has been denied his Constitutional right to develop a durable relationship with his child then either when the mothers didn’t want it. The Courts didn’t quite see it in those terms, any more than they’d be any less likely to see it in different terms today - the best interests of the child taking precedence over the rights of the parents or people involved -

https://archive.ph/lesb1

There have been legislative changes made regarding custodial, guardianship, parental rights and the rights of the child in the interim since that case was heard, but there was never anything to stop anyone pursuing a legal case, nor would there be anything to stop them from doing so regardless of any outcomes of the referendums.

It’s one of the glaringly obvious faults with the whole idea of permitting the Courts to determine whether the circumstances before them constitute a family and should therefore be protected by legislation relating to the Family, whereas there’s no wiggle room in terms of what laws apply in cases where a couple are, or were at some point, married, and the protection which extends to the children of the marriage.

• Advertisement

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement