Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Time to embrace a smart plan I think, I may regret this but I’m going in for Energia’s time of use smart plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,058 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I’d love to say that I’m a climate activist but to be honest I’m just too lazy to move away from Energia (given that I’m well set up on level pay, the credits etc) and Energia’s best rate is a smart plan. I have phoned around, could save a couple of hundred with EI or others but I’ve been happy enough with Energia so am going to stay put.

Is the general feeling in here still if you move to a smart plan the price of the non smart plans will reduce significantly in comparison leaving those on smart stuck at high rates for ever?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,332 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

so you could save a couple of hundred moving but you choose to stay because you're happy with energia and you have credits that can be refunded to your bank or a cheque, you must be in the wrong thread lo this is bargain alerts, even saving a hundred is worth moving for

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

For a while smart plans have worked out more expensive than standard plans. And once you cross the line, you cant go backwards if the standard remains lower or drops.

• Advertisement

Well actually, Energia tell me I’ll save €200 if I use the time of use plan. I am extremely sceptical about this mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Which plan? Who are you with now and what rate are you paying? Try uploading your smart meter file to energypal.ie and see who they recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Much cheaper than what? There's nothing special about their rates.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just a handy piece of advice for anybody who may be switching their gas in the near future. As mentioned here, the older meters get read 3 or 4 times a year, so you could be well out of date with your meter reading if you have not submitted it recently. This means that when you switch to a new provider, you might mistakenly give a much lower meter reading by accident, which would result in a large part of your already consumed gas, being charged at your new lower rate with your new provider.

I did this around this time last year, and submitted a reading that excluded the previous 3 months gas usage by mistake. Once I moved over to the new provider fully, I then correctly updated the reading and the new provider charged me at the much lower rate. Yes, I saved a bit of money in the process, but it was a mistake that I hope I won't make again when I switch again shortly.

I hope my advice is understood in the manner in which I am trying to communicate it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

Dupe dupe dupe dupe a dupe dupe dupe dupe a dupe dupe dupe dupe a dupe dupe dupe

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

I unfortunately make the same mistake when rates are changing. I always give a meter reading the day the rates have changed and unfortunately due to meter dyslexia I get the reading wrong by a lower amount.

BG rates change today.

Post edited by rameire on

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭bren2001

I choose to not commit fraud and to not break the law. I submit honest meter readings.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Yes, which is why I am pointing out this mistake to ensure that others do not make a similar mistake. Such mistakes can happen and should be fixed as soon as possible. A bit like the consumer rates reducing when the market price of gas goes down, although this does not seem to happen as quick as it should. Hmm, maybe that's the fraud you mean, but I think they call it big business...

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Just beware of the possibility that a meter reader happens to take the meter reading soon after an incorrect reading is provided by a customer...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 TWIreland

Hi All, what are the best deals on the market per unit for gas and electricity. Is bonkers the best to see this?. Unclear from reading through these posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭beachhead

Misreading the numbers on a meter I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Flogas dual fuel rates offered

Gas Unit Rate (Fixed)

Cent per kWh

(inc. VAT)

Gas Standing Charge (Fixed)

Annual

€151.19

(inc. VAT)

Electricity Unit Rate (Fixed)

Cent per kWh

(inc. VAT)

Electricity Standing Charge (Fixed)

Annual

€257.38

(inc. VAT)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bobbyg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bobbyg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I moved to a new house in early November, with a heat pump. I called Flogas to cancel the Gas account but leave the Electricity account open.

Since then our monthly standing order has gone to Flogas as normal but we've not received a bill. Our online portal shows everything at zero.

Today I got in touch with customer service and gave them my details. They replied with "this account is closed". So they appear to have closed our account fully, instead of just the gas part.

My question is - The fact we're still paying a standing order and still receiving power, is this likely just a glitch? I assume they'll likely come for any money owed now. Should I challenge this as it wasn't taken as/when due and will now result in a bigger bill next time?

Hope this makes sense.

Post edited by peejay1986 on

Read the meter and see how many units you've used and work out how much it cost. How much have you sent via the standing order? Hopefully it won't be too far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mick Regan

We've been with Electric Ireland for a number of years but I started comparing prices last November (we're a low usage household, avg 2200kWh per annum, so our bills are not too outlandish). Looking at bonkers.ie at the time there was a 5.5% EI discount if I opted to pay by direct debit with a 100 Euro credit as an incentive. I opted in via bonkers wondering if I'd get the credit being an existing customer, whilst accepting that I'd also be in a 12 month contract. Yep, the credit was assigned to the account.

Last week I did another comparison check on bonkers and there was an EI offer with a 22% discount.I pulled the trigger on that one as well and EI have switched us to that deal, presumably restarting the 12 month clock. I've since noticed that they now have a 24% discount plan (also variable) so I might pick up the phone and see if they will switch us to that.

Given the 8% drop in unit price today, plus the 22% unit discount on the account we now get, plus the 100 euro credit in November (not to mention the government credits), happy enough. I have done another comparison today and seems the max we could save by switching to a different 'supplier' now is around 30 Euros a year, so not really worth it methinks.

So, unless EI are dropping the ball when dealing with requests via bonkers, it looks like they'll switch you to a better deal regardless of where you are in a contract if you just ask. The 12 month will probably be restarted, but no penalties from what I can see.

Have you got a smart meter? If you do, try uploading your file from esbn to energypal.ie and see who they recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mick Regan

Yep, got one, and thanks for that link. I uploaded our cvs file and have to say their system does a very quick analysis. We're rural and their response suggested SSE Airtricity in 1st and 2nd place, with EI Home Electric + Saver with 14% discount in 3rd.

Couldn't see EI with the 22% discount we have now so not sure they're factoring that option in. The SSE options look like fixed rate, but do offer a 200 Euro welcome credit. I think the 22% deal we've got is relatively competitive, and i'd have to factor in the possibility that EI would claw back the 100 Euro credit we got in November, plus the 50 Euro penalty for switching, so will stick with where we are for now. I'm also hoping we'll see a further price reduction later this year, so going fixed rate might be a bit of a gamble.

Again thanks for the link, I've bookmarked and will revisit it, especially when the current contract expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Wondering if you can get a new customer discount by changing names on your account.

I don't think so I think it's linked to your mprn.

They don't list 24hr plans but they do tell you your total usage for the year making it easy to work out a 24hr plans total cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I am the same with Electric Ireland and just switched to the 22% discount plan. Is the 24% a non smart plan?

Let me know if you are allowed to switch without penalty please

Advertisement