Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adoption In Ireland

Options
  • 29-02-2024 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4

Hi all

Just wondering people who have recently completed the adoption process how long did it take? and how was the process ?? me and my wife are only getting started,

Thanks any info at all would be amazing

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭zg3409

Are you adopting a child you know or looking for a stranger child? Most people who adopt strangers do it from abroad and it depends on country etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Been thinking about it and in the early stages too. It takes 3 years of social worker reports and what not to get you to a starting position. Possibly 40ke in administration (4 years just before covid). Also Tusla are a nightmare to deal with.

Patience and money are required to do it legally.

There is little to no chance of you adopting in Ireland from Native Irish. Might be better adopting from Eastern Europe once the war is over. See Ukraine and surrogacy.

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4 JJ065

we were hoping an Irish child but from what i can see here it seems like it will be tough

• Advertisement

An insider secret is that those were adopted themselves as children have priority on first adoptions in Ireland.

If you are fostering after a few years there may be an option to adopt. It wouldnt be a real option for us dealing with the BS of Tusla and and back and forth to the family courts with messing a child around like that.

My advice if you plan to move abroad, adopt from abroad. Do it while you can, do it legally and take advantages of 2nd passports and what not. There is also a chance the child was given up due to addiction problems, which means they may come with a genetic predisposition towards addiction.

Also a friend (3rd secretary) at the embassy or consul cannot speed things up but they can help you avoid dead ends and can provide with solid introductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Given virtually no domestic adoptions happen in Ireland anymore, I'd love to know where you're getting that info. There were a total of 102 adoptions in the entire country last year and I suspect the vast majority of those were step-parent and extended family adoptions. The number of people giving their children up for adoption is miniscule. Obviously there are a lot of children in the care system, but, again, very few children in foster care go on to be adopted.

OP, the first thing I'd do is ask a mod to have your thread moved to the right forum. Then start thinking about adopting internationally as your chances of adopting within Ireland are virtually nil, especially if you're not prepared to become a fosterer first.

I am getting my information from my ex-girlfriend who was adopted. In the early stage of the relationship it was briefly discussed. Then there was another ex girlfriend who was also adopted, and being kind she was best left to God. Both relationships were over 20 years ago.

Also my wife had a friend who was fostering ..... It was a nightmare with social workers and the birth mother getting on/off drugs, mixed with social workers and court dates.

I have other friends who are deali g with fostering services, they were never specific but they had no love for the Tusla shower.

I have an associate who has a russian wife and his son is in the diplomatic services. So that is where the overseas adoption information is coming from.

Yeah this needs to be in a different forum.

Advertisement