Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

There's nothing in it that statement that points to the FAI having an agreement with a manager in place now.

Surely they knew all along they would be giving the new manager a 4 year deal.

They're simply hoping another month will give them time to have a manager in place and it looks like they're masters of planning.

O'Shea's auditioning for the main gig. The FAI are hoping the likes of Carsley and Barry take it but if not they'll give it to O'Shea and that's what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Really right now everything is guesswork and conjecture anyway. Maybe they’ve someone concretely lined up, maybe they’re spoofing - it’ll probably be clear by the name they announce which it was.

I would be pretty surprised if they announce O’Shea on a four year contract in April though - that makes the least sense of anything with only more friendlies up until September. If he were to be appointed full time, it would only make any sense (and even then quite little) either now, or if he’d first interim’d for the full 4 friendlies. Making him interim for 2 friendlies for a few weeks, then giving him a 4 year deal - that’s already been announced - seems a daft option.

it would generally seem odd to be so firm on April now, if they don’t actually have someone lined up - April’s really not far away, and there’s not actually any rush with September being the real deadline. So kinda have to figure something (for better or worse) is firmly in the pipeline to have set such a firm date.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭jacool

Nope, but they will announce this on the 1st !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

The FAI have undone a lot of good will with the holidays vs 12k cash thing, and their performance in front of the Oireachtas Committee. Tg

The consequence of all this is that it looks like the same old FAI, nothing's changed, and its the usual financial jiggery pockery. When what we need is for the Government to be open to an increase in funding for the FAI.

Really hope for the sake of the game in this country that they can deliver on the apoointment. It feels like we're at a crossroads.

This is one for the people who think the FAI have Carsley in the bag.

If you go along with that theory then Carsley has stalled on taking up the Ireland senior mens job to manage England U21s against the Azerbaijan and Luxembourg U21s. The optics of that is horrendous.

He`s essentially held on to a youth coaching job and missed two international friendlies in his new job where he could have begun getting his ideas across.

There are two more friendlies in June against Hungary and Portugal and then its into competitive games in the Nations League. He`s halved the amount of time he`ll have with the players before competitive games for no good reason. If it is Carsley and things get rocky for him, he will rightly be cruicified for that one decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Re new manager - The FAI waiting until April is also conveniently at a time when Greece's euro play-offs are finished. Poyet was (and is) really flirting with the Irish job. Given the candidates that are out there, and that his stock has slightly risen since taking over the Greece team, he could be someone the FAI have lined up.

I'm personally happy that they're taking their time over the appointment. No need to rush it, we have nothing important on in the interim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

But either Poyet wins the playoff and then presumably is incentivised (both professionally and income-wise) to stay on for the actual Euros taking him up to July. Or else he loses the play-offs against one of Georgia, Luxembourg or Kazakhstan and our appointment of him doesn't look so great.

So not sure it's really that much of a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Or it's the FAIs fault for not being able to agree a deal sooner. Let's be honest they knew since September 2023 for certain that Kenny wasn't getting a contract.

Talk is Carsley has a months notice period in his contract which is a 12 month rolling contract. His role with the FA is full-time so he works at their training base Mon-Fri. Don't see why he'd walk away from the FA in Feb so that he'd be available hoping that the FAI can finally come to an agreement on the terms he wants.

Also don't think missing these two games is the end of the world. It's a ten day camp whereas the one in June could well be double in length. Plus bringing in two coaches from outside the FAI as interims it could well be that O'Shea and McCarthy are lined up as part of his backroom staff.

So technically our new management team may very well actually be involved this window. Just not the head coach officially as he's got a contract to honour with his current job. Who've treated him good when before the FAI wanted him to work for free. Don't wanna burn any bridges at a company you may like to one day work for again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Guffy

Depends, he's been more or less begging Greece for a contract for months but they still haven't given him one to even cover the euro time frame.

He could go for a 4 year deal with Ireland rather than a 4/5 month deal with Greece where he may feel that just qualifying is as good as it gets.

There's so much stretching going on here that it just doesn't make sense that Carsley is even still in the frame.

They've really been negotiating for at least 3 months now and Carsley's held out to give his notice so he'd be in charge of the English U21s for games against Azerbaijan and Luxembourg? It's laughable even if it turns out to be true.

The FAI don't have room to maneuver with a managers salary. If Carsley is looking for more than 600k he's simply out of their wage bracket. So that makes negotiations pretty straightforward. It doesn't take 3 months to organise a backroom team. If it's taken Carsley that long, he probably shouldn't be getting the job.

Or the FAI are fooked, there's a serious lack of suitable candidates willing to base themselves in Ireland and they've put JOS in charge for a month hoping someone appears.

• Advertisement

Yeah exactly, the interesting aspect of his position is that he’s free on March 31st irrespective of if they qualify or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Could someone please sell the Carsley idea again to me ? He won a tournament managing the team with the highest wages that England were always there or there abouts winning anyhow . Is it luck or is there a vision .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

They won a tournament without conceding a goal. Any team that can do that is something special.

England may be a team that are there or thereabouts but they still hadn't won that tournament for a while.

I don't see what bearing wages have on international football. He certainly is lucky that a lot of young players are coming through in England at the moment and he seems to be getting it right with them. He always has a record of working with young players.

He would be an appointment for the future. He'd help bring players through. He has little experience with senior players but he's played PL, international and European football and was captain at one point in his career so he certainly experience dealing with senior personalities which seems to be the most common complaint against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

You also need to bear in mind how young our current squad is. Having that kind of experience with young players is a definite plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It all seems a bit elaborate for two friendlies that O'Shea is brining in a technical advisor in Brian Kerr, assistants and coaches including Glenn Whelan. I know people are needed to fill such roles but it seems strange that all these lads are happy to sign up for a week of work.

Either it's another big pay day for the lads or there's more than two games for them.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

JOS names an interesting backroom team

https://x.com/VMSportIE/status/1763572497461432347?s=20

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Is it luck that he won a tournament without conceding a goal?

Carsely has an excellent record with England underage teams. Played in the premier league for over a decade and has over 60 caps for Ireland.

He’s never managed a senior team. But that’s by choice, he could easily have gotten a job in the Championship by now but wants max time with his family.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Is it too much to believe that they are happy to give their time for the good of Irish football? None of the people listed were ever found wanting when called upon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

What are they going to do for the good of Irish football in a few days? Come back to reality this isn't voluntary work.

They are all fairly likable blokes, who I'm sure would have the best interests of the Irish team at heart. That's not what I'm questioning.

Unless they're thick (which I doubt they are) then I think it must be one of the two scenarios I mentioned above.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Give a dig out when it is needed. I have done it myself loads of times albeit at a less glamorous level.

But sure as you say, they’re roles that need to be filled, even for just 2 games and probably 3 or 4 weeks work between prep and matches. The lads are available, so where’s the issue?

This is O’Sheas first opportunity to manage a team, so it’s no surprise he’s calling in a few favours and taking it seriously, trying to put his best foot forward. Getting something decent out of these high profile difficult-opposition games might put him in the shop window a bit with clubs in England - and the same for his assembled team, if he gets a job somewhere then perhaps he can bring them with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

No sniping by Kerr at the Irish team for the next 2 games, maybe he should have taken Richard Dunne as assistant also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭Xander10

A nice goal from Mikey last night

Or they've been negotiating for three months and the FAI have been unable to get deal done in time for March rather than Carsley purposely holding so he can see out these two games.

They've a press conference Monday and Canham will definitely have to let people know what's happening regarding his comments the other the day with the early April appointment. That they either have their man or they're still looking. Someone definitely needs to ask has JOS a chance for permanently getting the job in April.

Because he's put together a backroom team that feels to me like he believes there's a chance for him to impress enough to get the job full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

Who's available at the business end of the season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Bilic now front runner

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/exclusive-slaven-bilic-now-hot-32259255

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

I'd be very happy with that of all names mentioned outside of Carsley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thats a name out of nowhere and would be a cracking appointment

No chance is Bilic coming here for the money that is on offer when he's been getting Saudi money this season. Even going on some of the conditions they supposedly want from the new head coach, then I couldn't see Bilic hanging out with the underage coaches at Abbottstown.

If Carsley has been holding out so he could manage against the Azerbaijan and Luxembourg U21s he should be immediately put out of the reckoning. The guy has never managed a senior team on a full time basis and despite what some would like to believe he is not inundated with offers to do so at a high level.

Canham doesn't have to comment on anything. He'll bring out the same line about it being sorted by April and the new man being on a 4 year contract. People will continue to read into this as him saying someone has signed. Despite the fact the FAI have been saying the manager hunt is at an "advanced stage" since the new year.

Obviously I'm in the FAI are scrambling camp. I agree, JOS has put together a team that makes me think he's gunning for the top job too. The FAI are biding their time, most likely hoping they can sway a lukewarm Carsley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

The42 reporting that Bilic hasn't received any contact from FAI. You wonder wonder what the Irish media are up to at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Bookies scam? How many lads put money on Bilic when the news broke?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

No FAI contact with Slaven Bilic over Republic of Ireland job https://the42.ie/6315766

Seemed way too good to be true alright, miles out of our league.

John O'Shea mentions that Brian Kerr was put to him by the FAI when they were talking about staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,797 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Reading between the lines of Canhams comments, sounds like Carsley might be the man?

That or else one of the international managers currently in a job contracted through to the playoff games at the end of March (Poyet et al).

Can't see the FAI wanting to get involved with Poyet whose falling out with his last three employers.

Yeah, like not necessarily him, but one of the guys in his same position, with an international contract about to end after the qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,626 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

• Advertisement

By all accounts not the case.

Hope he does a decent job and gets a foot in the door elsewhere off the back of it though. A good potential option for the future.

I wonder if some of this selected backroom staff have been intentionally chosen with a view to staying on and supporting whoever this new chap is that's currently under contract elsewhere until April.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭budgemook

If this contractual thing is true, could it be that JOS is lined up to be assistant to the new manager and the backroom team being put in place now are the new managers team?

It was said today there was no guarantee that the interim staff would remain on.

By all accounts Carsley had the job. Then by all accounts he turned it down and was ruled out. Then by all accounts he wasn’t ruled out and was ruled back in again but still not appointed. If they do end up appointing Carsley it will be the longest running saga and process in appointing a manager on record by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

I dont understand people losing their sh1t about it. If Carsley was their no.1 target and they end up with him then who cares how long it took?

Sweden took longer to appoint their manager.

People in the media and on podcasts losing their marbles about it has been laughable. If Carsley does get the job and he wanted to see out the next 2 u21 qualifiers then its win win, FAI get their man and in the process saved nearly 300k.

Not sure what any of that has to do with my post… there was a statement by the head of the FAI that the next chap - whoever that is - is currently under contract elsewhere until April, therefore it’s not O’Shea’s “if he wants it”.

People getting wrapped up in leaks and rumours around each stage of negotiations with Carsley is kinda neither here nor there. Negotiations by their definition go back and forth - especially when one party is a bit skint, no problem with that. The leaks are a definite issue for the future though, continues to make the board look unprofessional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,215 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Poyet would make sense if the plan is to have O'Shea/Kerr et al step one rung down upon Poyets arrival.

I doubt Poyet would be overly familiar with a lot of our players.

I don’t see why Carsley is that much of an upgrade on O’Shea. Carsley only has U21 level experience. I can see logic behind let O’Shea have it and if he does alright he keeps it. If it’s Poyet that comes in fair enough. Don’t know how they can afford him though. Unless they’re getting extra money from someone else to supplement his salary, but why didn’t they get a deal done with Carsley if that’s the case? It doesn’t add up no matter what way you look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Jesus it’s pretty simple. They’ve identified carsley as their preferred candidate. You may think he shouldn’t be that which, with respect, doesn’t matter as you are not an important figure in the appointment process. There is absolutely no indication that the FAI have any interest in Poyet. for now he is like Steve Bruce, Roy keane and Big Sam in that he is another figure who talked about the job but it’s a one way conversation.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement