Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Having seen the video of the bulk machine in Germany earlier on this thread can I ask why in gods name we’re not getting those kind of ones? I’d grudgingly use the scheme if it was as easy as empty a bin bag full of mixed cans and bottles and the machine sorts them out. It’s like the technology isn’t there to do it. Feeding single cans / bottles in 1 at a time is excruciating. I’ve simply cut down on buying anything in the scheme, and any that I have to buy I’ll just toss in the green bin. If I’m down 60cent a week so be it. Not dealing with this sh1tshow

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Summer2020

I doubt it, the scheme is a shambles and I think people aren’t bothered with it in its current guise

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Could make it optional though? "Would you like a printed receipt?" as an extra question. Lots of paper being wasted here when we could have a more environmentally conscious option that would achieve the same aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

As someone who clearly isn't a fan of how the scheme has been implemented I do generally support the idea of DRS. To me the hardest nut to crack will be the drinks on the go. Another improvement would be to increase the number of places where returns can be made. Sure if you're driving anywhere you .just chuck the bottle on the floor of the car till you get home or go shopping. But if its a nice morning and I'm walking to work I should be able to buy a bottle of water/juice etc and be able to return it to any shop on my route as I walk past rather than have to hold onto the bottle for the day or detour to a store of xyz size.

I was travelling through Heuston station yesterday for a work meeting. Lots of small retailers and all eligible for the take back exemption. I didn't purchase a drink so don't know if any of the retailers take back returns but none of them are big enough that they'd have to. Busaras, Connolly probably similar. The throughput of people these places have and full of vending machines and retailers selling drinks. There should be a facility for in such locations to return items.

Our work canteen only sells cans of soft drinks. I'm not going to hang on to an open can all day and hope that I manage to keep it in pristine condition so I've stopped buying them but another example of a place that will have a decent throughput of people and doesn't take returns.

I'd file this under your heading of solving complex problems because it would need the deposit to be treated as cash i.e. be spent anywhere rather than being linked to a specific retailer. This sop to retailers needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Makes me wonder how in God's name did we manage to introduce a new currency, the Euro without major problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

My local Dunnes is fairly transparent with the pricing. I bought 2x 2l Coke Zero last weekend and the SEL included the 50 cent deposit.

Coke have new labels so its handy enough to differentiate between old stock and new stock. The old ones say "Recycle me" and don't have the logo but the new ones have "Return me" and the logo. I try and make sure to pick up stock with the new labels so that I don't get overcharged and I haven't yet but your post and other posts show plenty people have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,088 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

"Interesting that nobody has mentioned which supervalu store didn't allow the voucher at the till, you'd think that would be good information to share here."

Maybe they don't want to say where they live. The Super Valu near me has 2 RVM's, they're outside and they've been shuttered off since they went in. The re-turn.ie map says they're active. They've never been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Trust me, you're preaching to the choir.

The paper based system seems ridiculous to me, there should have been an app option from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

Suggesting hiking up the levy without dealing with the other issues seems baffling to me.

There's clearly issues with the accessibility, the exemption some businesses have, and the inability to use the vouchers in other locations.

But if all you want to solve is the family doing a weekly shop in one location and returning the cans, I'm sure it's fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Where I am currently had no "big" shops, so I asked in the local one what the poster on the window which named them as a participant, when I queried the location of the machine I was told they were just displaying the poster and didn't have a recycle machines as only the "big" shops had those. But they were mandated to have the poster up(none of the other local shops have it)

Is this just a cop-out or the reality of the legislation?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm not saying we need a full address or Eircode. Town or even townland would do. The fact that even this isn't provided makes me question the legitimacy of such claims

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I thought the poster was meant to state where your nearest one was.

The exemption here for retailers is huge, 250 square metres. In the original proposal it was only 150 square metres. The government caved in the "consultation" to the retailers.

So when people say we copied the same scheme as elsewhere, we didn't, unless they can find us what other country has such a large exemption.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The problem there is the voucher is shop specific i.e you can only use the voucher in the shop you returned the containers to.

So you load a voucher on from dunnes and try use it then in Aldi or wherever.

Bringing your stuff with ya shopping, do your shopping, use voucher is the simplest solution for most people, right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

LOL - who'd be arsed doing that for a few cents that you might or might not get when you go to an actual machine.

Only zealots with endless time on their hands would be bothered to check barcodes on some website.

The entire lot of them should be fired, Minister and Return. Clearly utterly incapable of getting even their limited scheme to work from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I suppose it would take a bit of thinking to solve that problem. I've said this before but more public recycle bins are a start. The naysayers suggest these will be abused by bad people. Ok, put them in places with CCTV ideally or look at something that only accepts a certain type of material, by scanning it, checking it's size etc and see can such a device be modified so that it can be made smaller, not as complex and perhaps a bit weather proof yet still only accept certain types of item. I wonder if there a similar device out there that works like this......

Take the whole deposit payment and receipt BS out of the equation all together.

Just an idea. Obviously the finest minds in the world haven't it figures out but you have to start somewhere to get a solution to the issue you suggest. A significant portion of bottles and cans are bought through these channels and like other issues we have highlighted, this scheme will be a costly failure and worse still will set back green initiatives by years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I didn't realize people had so little time on their hands to return a bag of plastic bottles. So little time they can post endlessly on here crying about this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's good advice.

It could save people from losing money.

The fact that the voucher is shop specific is another major problem with the scheme as far as I'm concerned.

You're supposed to be getting your own money back.

As far as I am aware, I can spend my money where I want. Not where a supermarket tells me I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Thats true, but even if it were franchise specific rather than shop specific atleast they would be meeting us half way.

They really don't seem to bend or meet us halfway on any of this. it would be nice if re-turn had a scout or spokesperson come onto these forums and accept hearing out people and listening to suggestions to help figure out a work-around on this that can atleast help us.

They've made it much more difficult than it needs to be. it would be nice if there was some voting taking place related to this scheme.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What was the logic behind tying it to a shop? Was it a sop to retailers, "Oh sorry we're putting the machines here - look, we'll force them to use it in your shop!"

Was tying it a specific shop used in schemes in other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're in shops, issuing shop specific vouchers, nearly everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i think his point is if he brings his cans back to the machine then realizes there is a big que in that shop and no chance of bein able to just pop in and redeem it within 5 minutes due to a que (or is in a rush) then he's stuck between choosing to having to come back to the store another time or else waiting in that que. Furthermore it would be far more convenient if he could get the voucher print out and bring that to another shop that is doing the RVM things but without a que. Being tied to using it in the same shop is an inconvenience and creates the dilemma of having to see if there's a que BEFORE deciding to put the cans into the machine. And when people are in a time-senstive situation, popping ones head in the door is'nt always ideal.

The scheme should'nt be an inconvenience to people, or make people have to go out of their way to get money back thats already theres to begin with. it's clearly an inherent flaw in the scheme. At the very least re-turn should be willing to change their policy to instead allow people to keep the voucher and be able to redeem it in any other of the same franchise instead of tying it to just the same store that printed it.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭esker72

Is the long term goal of this awful scheme to make plastic bottles an absolute pain in the arse for everyone involved and it's a matter of time before producers start changing their packaging to those awful cardboardy type bottles just to avoid all the hassle.

If that's where we're going to end up then there's been a huge amount of money spent on those machines for very little reward. I'm just taking the 15c as another "green" tax and will continue to use the recycle bin as always. I just can't buy into this absolute mess of a scheme.

It hasn't happened in the meca for this type of thing (Germany) more plastic bottles than ever in circulation apparantly.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭winstonia

Yup. Thankfully the internet wasn't really around when the plastic bag levy came in

Introducing the Euro was a 2 year long process and resulted in hyper-inflation here in Ireland when the notes and coins did eventually came in due to the greed of the retailers. I wouldn't say it came without major problems

• Advertisement

That would involve me queueing up in a shop to cash in a voucher.

That is not convenient for me, as I do my grocery shopping online.

As the scheme operates now, I won't bother - I will continue to use my green bin as I have always done, and if it's contents goes to landfill or incineration?

Not my problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement