Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Nah, that's a load of guff. The messaging from the Biden administration has been weak wristed from the start. 40k dead, millions displaces, Gaza reduced to an unlivable ruin, starving people being shot, and they're maybe, just about seriously thinking about openly calling for a ceasefire.

The Israeli government has been clear from the start that their goal was the eradication of Gaza. The US can't claim surprise at the outcome of their actions when they've been telling the world what they wanted to do from the outset.

Stopping funding for Israel isn't abandoning them though. The US doesn't pump billions into France or Australia, yet they're still close allies. It's an absurdity that the US gives Israel billions annually, when it's one of the wealthiest nations in the world. Even allowing for the budgeting nonsense involved with defense "aid" , where it's effectively the US paying US defense firms.

I disagree. Complaining about the binary system, then continuing to vote for candidates that don't reflect your values won't produce change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Multiple posters have explained the nuances of the situation that means there isn't an easy solution no matter what Biden's 'messaging' is and your response has continued to be 'bad thing is bad' - which no one here nor Biden disagrees with.

You also continue to refuse to explain how things would improve by bringing people into power who would be worse for the Palestinians, who have advocated turning Gaza into a 'parking lot'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Except they don't really give them the billions you think they do, that money is a subsidy for American corporations like Raytheon, Lockeed Martin and Northrop who 'sell' massive amouns of arms to Israel.

• Advertisement

Your point being? Israel gets the benefit, without having to pony up the money. The same Israel whose attempts to steal secrets related to the F-22, led to it being banned from export, for example. They are an extremely wealthy country, and the US doesn't need to gift them billions in defense aid, especially when they have a robust and profitable defense manufacturing base themselves.

The great 'change' of Trump coming into power in 2016 has really been great for the American public and the wider world.

He managed to mold SCOTUS for decades and the next president may seat 3 more justices and you can basically write off the court for a generation or two at that point if Trump gets back in.

Most of those advocating the 'blow it up' the impact be damned approach are the ones who are privileged enough to be sheltered from most of blowback from it happening. Happy to watch the world burn from their nice middle class life

There's no nuance to the situation, it's cowardice on the part of US politicians. Simple as. Putting their own self interest above holding to a moral position.

It's also not a direct equivalency between not voting for Biden and Trump winning an election. If a voter feels strongly enough that opposing Israel's actions matters more than the potential of a Trump presidency, then they are entitled to with hold their vote, regardless of how little you think or anyone else thinks on the matter.

Or perhaps they see the US supporting a nation committing ethnic cleansing, and feel that opposing it matters more in the larger scheme of things. The world exists beyond the borders of the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,889 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If a voter feels that way they have absolutely no real understanding of politics. Of course they are entitled to do it, and other people are entitled to point out the complete lack of understanding it demonstrates, and that their course of action is almost certain to backfire.

It is "Do justice even if the heavens fall" territory.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,773 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I hate to break it to you but people with no understanding of politics also happen to vote

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's "Principled Self-Immolation" - a Grand gesture but ultimately stupid and achieves nothing.

I disagree. Rewarding someone with your vote when they refuse to work on your behalf is what causes this situation to persist. If the Democrats saw voters refusing to vote and thus lose elections, the they would be incentivised to field candidates who would support the goals of the voters. That's how it's meant to work.

In this scenario, the cost of losing an election would be Trump getting in and Project 2025.

So in the short term, how is that any better for voters concerned with the situation in Israel and Palestine? It isn't. If that is the concern, what could Israel do with 4 years free reign under Trump?

And in the medium to long term... It is not politics as normal when one side has a project to alter the rules of the game so that next time around they will have stacked the odds in their favour, for every election in that generation. You'll have the candidate you want, and they will almost certainly lose because Trump will have rigged the election in favour of a MAGA candidate.

There absolutely is a direct equivalency. No matter how much you do not like it, US politics is binary.

I don't even mind someone not voting for Biden, what some who claim to be from the left have been doing is far worse and pushing a full scale campaign against Biden for not doing things how they want him to, creating a toxic environment.

I never said they didn't have a right to do whatever they want with their votes or voice coming up to the election. What I said is that if they choose to be petulant and continue to attack Biden and he loses I dont want to hear from the after the election if Trump brings in a Muslim travel ban, throws Gaza protesters in jail, or supports Israel in going far further than they already have like fully clearing Gaza and dropping settlers in there.

I don't want to hear a single word because they and the likes of you will be part of the reason for it happening. Elections have consequences.

The Republicans have been doing this for decades, I'm less inclined to buy into the Democrats fear mongering. " But Trump" isn't a sufficient election strategy for the Democrats, there are too many issues that demand real action for them to fail to address, with the excuse of elect us or else.

No they haven't. Nothing like what MAGA and Trump have planned, nothing like what Trump tried to do last time out and is still dodging the consequences of. This is like 1938 and one side (A) wants to sell out to the Nazis and you're with holding your vote from the other side (B) because you don't like their stance on a day to day political matter. And a political matter that you disagree with (A) on even more!

It's ivory tower self indulgence.

It's not petulance to stand in opposition to ethnic cleansing. End of. No matter how much you want to sneer or deride people as sheltered middle class folks.

Holding our politicians accountable for their actions isn't creating a toxic environment, it's what responsible citizenry are supposed to do.

An ethnic cleansing is not a day to day political event. This isn't folks being upset about a union dispute, or voting access. It's a life or death crisis that the US has been directly supporting. How else ought people influence politicians, other than the one method of control they have over them?

• Advertisement

It is absolutely petulant to cut your nose off to spite your face for a short term feel good of hurting someone you dont like.

No issues about people holding their politicians accountable but they can shut their mouth if these same actions bring in someone far worse and they end up making things worse for the people they claim to care about.

The venn diagram of the people supporting this action and those who were already involved in the Gaza protests/movement is basically a circle

I think that gravely misunderstands the grief of palestinian and muslim americans who have watched in some cases, their whole family get erased by Israel while POTUS tells Seth Meyers 'I'm a proud Zionist' and idly discussing a ceasefire might happen in a week, maybe not, by Monday, over an ice cream cone. I know he didn't pick the question a reporter asked him, but that distinction doesn't matter much to the bereaved. They're already dead inside, their loved ones are actually dead, it is hubris to think they're going to be out in a 3 hour line for Biden in November just because Trump is on the ballot. They don't see a distinction between the two candidates, the way it seems to them, Palestine is fucked either way, and its people left for dead.

If nothing changes with respect to the issue that matters most to them, what difference does it make?

You've no issues with holding politicians accountable, unless it causes them to lose their seat for not doing the job their voters want them to. So never do or say anything in case it gets worse. Real recipe for encouraging change there.

That is all fine but they can keep their mouths shut if their families or friends are banned from travelling to the US, they are thrown in jail for protesting, or if Trump backs Israel to act even worse against the Palestinians.

Part of voting is at times picking the least worst option.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,270 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You are aware, I'm sure, that nothing changes with regards to Israel if Trump gets in. In fact, it would probably end up worse for Palestine.

You do know that right?

That is all fine but they can keep their mouths shut

THIS attitude, doesn't improve the situation, it pours gas on the pyre.

In a DEMOCRACY, people don't have to keep their mouth shut because of 'the other guy' and what they might do.

At times, part of voting is doing it with your feet.

The American Experiment in general may not be worth saving to people if it will (continue to) defend and uphold genocidal acts against oppressed peoples.

Because the other guy is going to do even worse on the issue they claim to care about. It isn't some unknown, he was president before and he was worse on the issue and his and his party's approach to the current situation is worse.

How is this so hard to understand?

As I said in my OP, it is turkeys voting for christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They don't see a distinction between the two candidates

I'm sorry, but then they are just not remotely paying attention.

I think the American funding of Israel at the best of times is ridiculous. But it is popular.

If a ceasefire is announced at all in the next week or two it will solely be because of pressure from Biden. Because no matter how little Israel cares about the US' opinion, they care about anyone else's far less.

Advertisement