Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 engines

Options
  • 29-02-2024 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

On the lookout for an S40 over summer and was wondering if someone had any info on a few of the engines in them, mainly any common problems I could face.

My options are either a 1.6D, D2 or a 2.0D as i wont get insured on anything else due to my age.

I’ve been told the 1.6D can be a bit of a money pit if they weren’t maintained properly, is the D2 the same? (unsure if they’re the same engine)

Mainly looking at a 2.0D tbh for a bit of power and they seem to be more reliable from what i’ve read, but if anyone has any info on any common problems it would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

The "D" that Volvo use relates to engine power mostly, with the higher up ones having 5 cylinders instead of 4, different turbo etc. D2 is around 115bhp, D3 around 140-50bhp and D4 180bhp

What year is it? An older 1.6 diesel is the DV6 engine from Ford/Peugeot/Citreon and no it doesn't have the best reliability, flywheels, injectors, they like to blow turbos for fun if the engine oil isn't changed regularly (small filter on turbo oil feed gets blocked)

I think after 2013 or 14 Volvo scrapped using Ford engines.

Personally I'd go for a 2.0 D3 you get a good mix of power and fuel economy, and if you wanted more power down the road spend a few hundred on a remap and make it a D4 effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EvanOD

Would love to get a D3 or D4, even a D5, but the unfortunate part is that i’m only 17 and just got the full license, so the 2.0D is the maximum power i’ll get insured on (136bhp if i remember correctly)

Is the D2 a Volvo engine or another Ford?

Being honest i’d prefer a 2.0D out of every engine, but if the D2 is reliable i’d be willing to go for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

You are 17. Check what you can insure before you jump. Young lad is 20 and has just finished needing N plate and his insurance is still high on old 1.6 diesel Passat. Car and engine combination along with his age make the insurance figures eye watering. Forget rear wheel drive for a few years !

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EvanOD

I have a 2008 Ford Focus atm with a 1.8TDCI engine, was originally looking at an S40 for when i passed the test but the right one never came up. For what i’m paying at the moment, insurance isn’t bad on the 2.0Ds, and seems to be cheaper on the D2s due to smaller engine i assume.

Advertisement