Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It was when NI raised it in 2022, I remember there was talk of mass protests in the form of bringing your own shopping bags with you and refusing to pay for the bags from the shop

I think the protesters might have missed the point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Someone hasn't read the thread.

Oh but it was! You can even search on here for the conversations at the time.

Difference being that was done reasonably well and made sense. Saying that, I still have a drawer full of plastic bags that I didn't pay for so I'm not sure it actually worked as well as intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭winstonia

It worked very well. We were talk of the world.

Project/ Activity Results:

One of the key findings of the plastic bag levy was that there was a considerable fall in the consumption of plastic bags since March 2002. The reduction has been estimated as 90%. Furthermore, results from beach surveys found that there was a reduction in the number of plastic bags found on beaches, from a mean high of 17.7per 500m (2000) to a mean of 5.5 bags per 500m (2002). (Data courtesy of Coastwatch Ireland.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Neowise

You bring your cans and bottles to shop A, they are due a retailers cut for taking your discards and giving you refund. But they have refunded you with a piece of paper that you must spend in shop.

If you were to take voucher to shop B, why would they refund you when they will not get repaid from return, or get a retailers cut? It's lose lose for shop B to give you money for shop A's gain, who, will get the refund and a retailers cut, and not have to pay out the refund. win win win for shop A.

If Shop A is part of a large chain, then they can make it convenient for their customers by allowing this, and knowing the wins and loses will cancel out over the chain.

The system needs to change and return take ownership of the machines, for a system like you are suggesting to work. Then they could see where the item was discarded, half retailers cut there, and where the voucher was redeemed, other half of the retailer cut goes and deposit reimbursement goes there. If same shop gets the rubbish and pays out the refund, they get full retailers cut and deposit reimbursement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I honestly don't know, but someone up-thread posted that they thought it was to encourage increased footfall to shops.

I don't care what anyone says, the shops have to be getting something out of this, as it must be an inconvenience to them too.

• Advertisement

The scheme should'nt be an inconvenience to people, or make people have to go out of their way to get money back thats already theres to begin with. it's clearly an inherent flaw in the scheme.

100% THIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They are getting 2.2 per item in an RVM, and footfall going their way. For larger shops, they should end up in profit if they are handling enough items in the RVM.

Smaller shops, the economies of scale are against them, and RVM too expensive for them.

There's been complaints about the scheme from small shop owners that they'd either have to deal with the costs and hassle of manual handling... or basically they are directing customers to other shops to use RVMs.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Not sure of your claim of hyper-inflation. Certainly in my local shops armed with government little calculator I noticed no price increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

Shop A gets the processing fee irrespective of whether or not they deal with your refund. They are paid for processing the cans/bottles. If you leave the voucher in your wallet they still get paid the processing fee. As each retailer is registered with Re-turn it shouldn't be difficult for Shop B to get reimbursed for any refund vouchers they are presented.

In Australia you can get your deposit credited to your bank account when you make a return. You can choose to take a voucher for store A if you wish. You can also build up your deposit online and use it to buy vouchers for other stores. Ultimately the consumer has the choice. And the machines over there are supplied by Tomra the same company that supply them here. It's just a sop to certain retailers to do it the way we are doing it here. Transferring footfall away from smaller retailers to larger stores with RVMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭SteM

I was there last weekend and there are dunnes 2 machines side by side and a bin right beside them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

They should have gone for an accounts based system, but then you'd have people complaining that it was inaccessible for older people, people with no bank accounts etc.

If the refund had to be directed to an account, it would have made fraud far more detectable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Best thing about it is haven't bought a can or a bottle since it came in and not planning to. bottle of tap water in the car job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

They're getting:-

A) 2.2c per can or bottle

B) Forced footfall through their shops, &

C) They'll make a mint out of unredeemed vouchers.

Make no mistake, they'll do very well from this. They'd have told the government to sling their hook otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭con747

On top of the nice little earner they receive from MUP.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,147 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A complete f#cking disaster, took two full bags and machine only accepted 5 despite logo on them all, rip off Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A correct that's the handling fee

B you can go in and get cash and walk out without buying anything

C Is it likely that someone will go to the trouble of using the RVM and then not redeem the voucher ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

A) yup

B) you can, but plenty of people won't. A percentage of people will put their voucher towards buying stuff that they wouldn't have baught otherwise. People who go into shops buy things. The people who run shops know this very well. This will also create more unnecessary waste, of course.

C) something like 25% of gift vouchers go unredeemed. High value vouchers. These tiny slips of paper worth only a few cent or a few euro will go unredeemed in spades. They'll be lost, forgotten, washed, ignored & accidentally torn left, right and centre.

I was there on Monday, and yes, two machines, but no bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A we agree

B so it's not forced everyone will be able to decide for themselves

C people will have a piece of paper worth money in their hand. Once again their choice what they do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why so, what happened. This can't be right Shirley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,147 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

My experience so far, its a "pain" but not the worst pain one has to deal with in life. I would prefer to use my recycling bin but such is life.

The comments about cans having to be perfect and no damage, not my experience. I crushed a few cans in my hand (dented heavily not stamped on) as I didnt think they had the logo, they did, brought them to a machine in aldi and all went through fine after a small attempt to return them to shape. The barcode on most of them was creased.

I am lucky I have a few supermarkets within a few minutes walking / driving distance. Lidl's machine both intiial and replacement broken. Aldi perfect, SV worked ok.

Very surprised to hear someone had a load of cans rejected, they do say to enter them barcode side first, tested a few barcode acing the "wrong" way and it also worked, tried a few cans not in the scheme spat them out quickly.

I would however be pissed off if I saved up a large amount and was decent drive from my local supermarket and the machine out of order.

Is it just one vendor for the machines regardless of store or are there multiple suppliers? I could read the thread but..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Keep em, they have to be returnable with a logo Shirley.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's multiple machine vendors; and possibly even different types of machines from those vendors

I've had cans get fairly dented - sitting empty in the outer drinks pocket on a backpack on a commute home - and get scanned; they really have to be quite screwed to not be made work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Went again and we tried a few plastic containers, all of which had deposit charged on them. One without the Return logo was accepted, whilst the rest with Return logos were spat out. Complete waste of time with a piece of paper worth 25c the only tangible benefit. Meanwhile the thieving feckers in Return have the rest of our deposits :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The experience here doesnt feel any different countries where its introduced in recent years. The recycle rates will hold steady or rise a little in year 1 as consumers take time to get used to it or just refuse to come on board. Year 2 generally sees a big jump and year 3 you get at or near 90%. it grows marginally from there.

The mechanism to increase the rate, if needed, will almost certainly be an increased deposit level. The original plan was for a flat 20c rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I am going to test a few different cans with varying levels of damage and see what happens (I live a very exciting life! :D )

Thanks for info re vendors of the machines, I might try test in a few different ones if i identify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

Anyone who has bottles/ cans with return logos that are getting rejected need to contact Return with a strongly worded email that you want you refund.

I'd also suggest plasting the photos all over social media.

Otherwise it's just daylight robbery thats going on and it wouldn't be excepted in any other format.

Imagine a normal shop charging you 25c extra for say the trolley and then you brought it back and they say half the time no sorry your not getting it back people would go mental, why do Return think they can do what they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭con747

Does it actually matter where the thread is? This is where it is now so I don't see how that affects any discussion about the scheme. Why have multiple threads about the same subject.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Have use the ones in Tesco 3 times now and all has been good.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement