Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

It’s depressing to read this post because it’s true. A windfall… and it’s used for everyone except citizens of this country. Of course the opportunist rich get a chunk of it. The amount of houses, buses, infrastructure, more classes for kids with authism instead of the fight to exhaustion every year trying to secure the basics. But guess i’ll be told don’t punch down, don’t punch sideways, blame the government, for which i will. A complete shitshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

For the past 15-20 years I have been saying that the vast majority of AS are making bogus claims.

140,000 have made claims.

AFAIK, the majority have been allowed to stay, even if their initial claim was rejected.

We are now hearing that 85% of claimants at Dublin airport have either no documents or false documents.

All of these people are committing an offence, and are therefore illegal immigrants.

For years I have suggested processing the claims with 24hrs at the port of entry, or within 7 days max.

We need to have a least one aircraft ready everyday to return illegal immigrants

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

The sheer scale is quite staggering. Right in front of our eyes 85% are committing an offense at the airport by either destroying their ID or handing it to human traffickers. Shouldn't they be in...prison...for breaking the law? Rather than 4 star hotels with taxpayer money to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But every country in the western world operates on a financial loss with acceptance of asylum seekers and with overseas aid : 'it is what it is' as they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

It is not what it is...Everything can be changed with enough political will. Laws and treaties that we entered into can be nullified and revoked with legislation, to claim otherwise would be to claim we are not a sovereign nation at all.

I see Suella Braverman is now openly talking about removing UK from the European Convention on Human Rights, and instead replacing it with a UK bill of rights - keeping all the good bits but removing all the aspects that restrict deportation of fake asylum seekers. Its a long way off but that's the direction of travel and sounds totally sensible to me. Imagine the faces of the NGOs in Ireland when this topic starts rearing its head in next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Thats why it is so important the govt put in a robust plan now, so that the electorate are confident that disingeuous asylum seekers are called out and applications denied, but that genuine cases are accepted and supported in Ireland.

The longer there is a lack of faith amongst the broader public in terms of the handling of asylum claims, the broader the lurch towards the right becomes.

The UK is already well past that point, but we have time to stop the rot - but the govt have to deliver a plausible and measured medium to long term plan for IPA management, in order to give confidence back to the electorate.

Mud sligning from the left to the right and back again helps nobody and does nothing at all to stop the general lurch towards a right wing/anti immigration stance, as demonstrated in the recent opinion polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Sue Braverman is a sacked minister in a party that is going to lose the next election. So I would caveat anything she says with a big - So What?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

"Develop infrastructure, resources". In other words throw more money at this. At what point is enough enough?

It depends what you mean by at what point is enough.

If the question is, when do we stop taking in asylum seekers, the answer is almost certianly never.

if the question is, when do we start to take in as many asylum seekers as we can properly accommodate, we dont have an answer, yet.

Thats where the govt need to step up with a plan and answer the 2nd question. Hopefully O"Gorman will do just that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Yes, it’s depressing to see how many people here on boards and in politics point to our status as a wealthy (240 billion in debt) nation as a reason to build more houses for third world refugees instead of trying to build more infrastructure for Irish people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

This attitude as seen by our useless government. So are we to just accept however many millions from Africa who decide to come here?

Go ahead and reference laws stemming from a time when air travel was in its infancy. 1951's world is no longer relevant, and these circumstances are being abused by chancers (85% in Dublin airport these days), but the money is too good for a small minority to say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Who exactly are the "anti immigration crowd" and the "anti migrant crowd"?

Nobody on this thread fits into either of those categories.

I'm in favour of legal immigration, in other words people who come here to work and make a positive contribution to our country.

But I'm sick and tired of people who have destroyed their documents being let in and it will never end as long as they see they can get away with it and there is zero chance of being deported as long as no information is given.

As to your other point on who to vote for, Independent Ireland and The Farmers Alliance would have views similar to my own and its looking like they will be up and running in time for the GE anyway.

And yes you can say me voting for a small party will make no difference but I'd nearly prefer to cut my hand off rather than give my number 1 to the traitors we have in power at the moment.

Exactly and if those who criticise illegal immigration are called 'anti migrant' or 'anti immigration' does that mean that those in favour can be called 'anti Irish'

Exactly so the reverse is also true. People who are against illegal immigration (as opposed to legal immigration) are not anti immigration or anti migrants

Fair points and I dont belive someone with your view should be considered anti immigration at all.

There are obviously some whom are a lot more hardline anti immigration in outlook, but thankfully they are still a minority.

Independent and rural parties will run candidates for sure, but I doubt they will be able to contest enough seats to make any real impact.

Agreed. But the opposite of that principal doesnt make someone anti irsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Would anyone in favour of controlling immigration consider increasing our corporate tax rates?

To me it seems quite hypocritical to think we should be able to take advantage of undercutting everyone else, as we do, and also expect people not to come live in what looks to the rest of the world like a booming economy.

There's more than a hint of wanting your cake and eating it going on.

That's the whole point I'm making. Being against illegal immigration does not mean 'anti migrant' or 'anti immigration' and the same in reverse. Anti migrant should really only apply to those who are against ALL forms of immigration

• Advertisement

There's plenty of countries that 'undercut' others to attract labour. By your logic should an Irish person expect to go to India and expect generous social welfare, housing etc. I mean it's one of the fastest growing economies so why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There seems to be a belief out there that we could stop immigration or even reduce the size of the population and it have no effect on the economy. Take 500k migrant workers out of the economy and the govt and employers would have no choice but to slash wages and social welfare rates, raise taxes and so on (but prices would remain the same).

An Ireland where there were only Irish born people doing the jobs would be a much poorer one and with a far smaller economy - we have nowhere near enough people to do the jobs and have a booming economy. Where are the 500k Irish people who would be able to fill the 500k vacancies? Anyone talking about bringing back Irish emigrants would be beyond deluded....those emigrants wouldn't even want to return to this impoverished and isolationist version of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

@BlueSkyDreams said -

"There is no alternative party for the anti immigration crowd to vote for.

If someone was that way minded, (not me personally) whom would they vote for?

Thats the elephant in the room for the anti migrant crowd, they dont have a viable option, fortunatley".

Apart from the language (anti immigration crowd, anti migrant crowd) being frankly insulting to the majority of people in the country that want controlled migration, and not the free for all we have now...

So, as there is no party running a 'controlled immigration policy', people will struggle with their voting strategy. This is all the Govt parties have by way of their election strategies - They are simply hoping, that as there is no stand-out party offering the people what they want, people will revert to their old habitual voting ways

This is literally all they have - They can't point to any successes they've had - Immigration, Health, Housing, Infrastructure, Tourism...they're all going down the pan

The failures are evident at every turn - The fiscal incompetence is astonishing - Flinging our money at everything due to being too weak and/or inept to actually solve anything. They could erroneously claim the economy as their own (it's not), but what's the point of having surplus taxes coming in if you're pissing it away at every turn (albeit massively enriching a select few in the process)

To put it simply, if the country is 'going to hell in a handcart', the people that loaded and pointed the handcart in that direction, cannot be allowed push it for another 5 years

The incompetence of the last 13 years (especially the last 2) must not be rewarded

Thats where the govt need to step up with a plan and answer the 2nd question. Hopefully O"Gorman will do just that.

I think you underestimate where O'Gormans reputation stands with the general public - The guy is an idiot

@Strazdas you are conflating illegal immigration with legal. The vast majority of people are not against the latter. The vast majority of people recognise the value that legal migration can bring. We are not talking about those people and I really don't know why the two groups are constantly lumped in the same category

A quick Google tells me

GDP per capita Ireland 100,172.08 USD

GDP per capita India 2,256.59 USD

It looks like we're the second highest GDP per capita in the world, of course people are going to come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

Can someone explain this to me. Can airlines not simply scan the ID given by the asylum seeker onto a machine when they board the plane. Is this not done already? And then share this with irish authorities when they claim asylum. How do we have 85% arriving with no lD, they needed ID to get on the plane.

Your argument was that as Ireland undercuts other countries it's only fair to take others in. India also undercut others by offering cheap labour and they also have one of the fastest growing economies but that doesn't mean it's 'having their cake and eating it' by not giving generous social welfare and free everything as we see with illegal immigration here

And just to be clear, I am not talking about legal migration and I don't believe most posters are

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

was she not a goverment minister with responsibility for that last year

You can think about it in terms of what's fair but also what's feasible and broadly in everyone's best interests.

With our economy looking as good as it does, people are going to come here, you can either try to integrate them or drive them to working illegally, getting involved in crime etc.

That's pretty much the choice as I see it.

After that I think the only way of 'controlling' migration is to tackle the push/pull factors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Many people, myself included, have made suggestions along this line. There's no reason why, if the physical passport was destroyed, an electronic one could not still travel to the destination airport so that those arriving could be identified.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement