Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

The link didn't work for me but yes there is nothing currently preventing a man going through the courts. His relationship with his child and the child's mother would not at present be considered a Constitutional Family with the associated rights but who knows if the referendum passes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

It will be the right of the parent to claim they are a family based on their durable relationship. You are making the birth of a child will automatically mean they have a durable relationship.

And for argument sake, lets say the courts do decide that they have a durable relationship, where in the Constitution or in the legislation is a family member automatically entitled to access to a child?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The archive links are shìt, I’ll give you that one 😂

But the point being that regardless of the outcome of the referendums one way or another, nobody will still be any the wiser as it will still be left to the Courts to determine what laws do or do not apply in each and every case, same as already happens in cases where the parents aren’t married to each other. In cases where they are married, that just makes things much more clear cut, as opposed to the current situation where parents have to go through the Courts to have their rights, or the rights of their children vindicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

This is why I am voting no,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I notice they all seem assume “durable relationships” have implications for adults. Can it also have implications for familial relationship such as children?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

"It will be the right of the parent to claim they are a family based on their durable relationship. You are making the birth of a child will automatically mean they have a durable relationship."

To be honest I'm just trying to figure out how a one parent family can be classified as a "durable relationship". At the moment a married parent does not have to claim to be a family, they are automatically considered a family.

How will a one parent family be automatically classified as a family if not when the child is born?

It's so potentially messy. Why they had to add the term "durable relationship" into Article 41.1 really needs explanation from the government. Just deleting the link to the family based on marriage in Article 41.3 would have been much more uncontroversial:

41.1.1 the state recognises the family as the natural primary and fundamental unit group of society, and as a moral institution possessing inalienable and imprescriptible rights, antecedent and superior to all positive law.

41.3 1° the state pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of Marriage, on which the family is founded, and to protect it against attack.

"And for argument sake, lets say the courts do decide that they have a durable relationship, where in the Constitution or in the legislation is a family member automatically entitled to access to a child?"

It's not access a family member is automatically entitled to it's guardianship which are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Just give up and admit it - this whole scenario of durable relationships, what might be and what mightn't be - is a complete shitshow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Nope.

Our Supreme Court are extremely capable & make judgements on constitutional cases regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Why would you vote yes for something that has not been defined? As we will be relying on the courts to define what a durable relationship is, then as you stated it is a complete shitshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

First one - the amendment has no effect on her independence or rights whatsoever. Of course it's about family, it's in a section of the Constitution called "The Family". It doesn't say that care only exists within the family, or should.

Second one - "This amendment doesn't address some other issue I want addressed, so I'm voting No" - well you can if you want, but it's not a very logical reason. (wtf was the water thing about?)

Third one - makes a lot more sense than her video, but again the amendment is about the family, not disabled rights and institutional care vs. independent living, etc. She should campaign for an amendment to do what she wants, voting No to an unrelated amendment will not help that issue.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

So we should stick it to disabled people because virtue signalling is more important than tangible facts?

"Vote Yes/Yes if you're not a far right lunatic" is pretty much the tone of these referenda, and the usual suspects are falling in line behind it. I've never agreed with much that Annasopra has said on this site but at least they're looking at the care referendum logically, maybe give it a go yourself.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's all completely missing the point. This is the first time that disability will be recognised within the constitution. But it is about situating disabled people only within a situation of family caring for them so strips away their rights to be independent from family and rights to be autonomous individuals.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Polling card arrived today - can anyone give any tangible reason to vote yes at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

A argument for NoNo Vote from another barrister

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

Who asked for this ?

Do they really think Ireland will vote Yes/Yes ?

Irish Mammies are like no others.. So it's 3 No/No votes from this household.

I don't necessarily think a parent and a child will automatically be classified as a family once the child is born. Let's say the mother decides to give the child up for adoption, are her and her child still a family then?

In this scenario, what's the definition of family? Ultimately, you are still going to be asking the Supreme Court to determine that.

Nothing is defined in the Constitution. I certainly dont expect that to ever change.

I don't necessarily think a parent and a child will automatically be classified as a family once the child is born. Let's say the mother decides to give the child up for adoption, are her and her child still a family then?

That's the problem with the addition of the term durable relationship. No one knows what it means and even FLAC recommended an addition to the wording to say a durable relationship includes the relationship between a parent and a child (not their exact words). As far as I know once a child has been given up for adoption the parents relinquish all family rights.

In this scenario, what's the definition of family? Ultimately, you are still going to be asking the Supreme Court to determine that.

Why? They have never had to define the family before. It just means unmarried couples can also be considered a family with or without children. In fact I can't remember which Judge said it - I think it was Hogan - but he said that the lack of the use of the words "wife" or "wives" in the women and mother Articles was deliberate so that it included unmarried women! It has just never been tested in the courts.

• Advertisement

I dont know what wording they proposed so cant comment, but i wouldnt have had a issue if there was more specific wording used to make it clearer either. But the circumstacnes of the parent/child relationship still needs to considered when determining if they are a family or not in my opinion so that wording would need to be still somewhat vague.

They never had to define family before because it was defined by the phrase "founded on marraige". That phrase made it very clear what could and couldn't be considered a family. Remove that phrase and leave it as you suggested creates even bigger uncertainty than inserting the term "durable relationship".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I did a bit of searching trying to find a definition of “durable relationship” in Irish case case law.

I found the following case Pervaiz v Minister for Justice and equality (HIgh Court 2019)

Judicial review – asylum and immigration – Non-Eu national challenging decision refusing his application to be treated as a permitted family member within the meaning of the EC (Free Movement of Persons) Regulations 2015 on foot of his relationship with a EU citizen - Minister not satisfied that it was a durable relationship duly attested - durable relationship not defined

What is a “durable relationship”?

The phrase is not defined in the Citizens’ Rights Directive, most likely so as to allow the various member states to proceed by reference to concepts of relationships/durability that suit their respective mores and traditions.

Nor is the phrase defined in the 2015 Regulations (the domestic legislation that seeks to transpose the Citizens’ Rights Directive). Nor has it separately been expounded upon, e.g -in departmental guidance.

Even so, the court does not accept that the phrase cannot be defined or amplified upon. By declining, when transposing the Directive, to define in law or separately to state as a matter of policywhat is, or what the Minister generally considers to be, subject to the application of discretion in any one case, a “durable relationship”, the Minister has allowed a situation to arise in which no-one (applicants, officials or indeed the court) quite knows what a “durable relationship” is.

‘It has emerged in these proceedings that a “durable relationship”, as conceived by the Minister, inter alia,involves a ‘sort of’ two-year benchmark (certainly that benchmark is mentioned, inter alia, in the Impugned Decision and in the application documentation); however a lower timeframe, it has been averred for the Minister in these proceedings, can be applied if that is considered to be merited.”

Summary - Basically the court stated legislation was required for the definition of “Durable relationship” and the justice minister should have done a better job giving guidance.

But I also found an article back in January where Justice Baker stated a “durable relationship” could be defined by a couple getting a Christmas Card as an example.

Seems like it really depends who gets to interpret it first. And sales of Christmas Cards are going to increase if yes? 😝

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It's funny how people who called him the scum of the earth a few years ago are now all agog in relation to his views.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

That is a deeply inaccurate misrepresentation of the facts, well done.

The referendum has nothing to do with disability one way or the other.

"This is the first time that disability will be recognised within the constitution" ... and all the rest. The wording does not back this up at all.

Maybe we should have put in text that states nobody cares about anybody at all, that way everyone can be equally pissed off. 🙄

It absolutely does though.

You even said it yourself above that care applies to disabled people.

Independent Living Movement Ireland had agreed to support a Yes vote in the care referendum and have reversed that.

There are ZERO disabled persons organisations in the country supporting a Yes vote in the care referendum.

FLAC made a good statement on it.

FLAC is of the view that the wording of the proposed ‘care’ amendment is as ineffective as the current so-called ‘women in the home’ provision. It is unlikely to provide carers, people with disabilities or older people with any new enforceable rights or to require the State to provide improved childcare, personal assistance services, supports for independent-living, respite care or supports (at home or in school) for children with disabilities.

The amendment would give constitutional expression to harmful stereotypes such as the concept that the provision of care, including the care of older adults and adults with disabilities, is the private responsibility of unpaid family members without any guarantee of State support. Like the explicitly sexist ‘women in the home’ provision, the proposed Article 42B endorses a status quo where women undertake the bulk of unpaid care work and places no obligation whatsoever on the State to redress this gender imbalance – rendering it an implicitly sexist amendment.

It also would give constitutional expression to the harmful stereotype of people with disabilities as the subjects of family care rather than autonomous individuals and rights-holders. The proposed new wording does nothing to enhance (and potentially compromises) the rights of people with disabilities as set out in the UNCRPD.

On the basis of this analysis, and because it is a missed opportunity for the rights of women, carers, older people and people with disabilities, FLAC does not support the ‘care’ amendment.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

He is and always has been scum of the Earth as far as I'm concerned.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

No it isn't.

This referendum is just the latest proving ground for people to display their credentials in this unending battle of ideologies.

I find it hard to believe you've actually given the facts any thought whatsoever in this case. You're just sticking in your lane as usual, well done.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Caquas

Michael McDowell has mustered a handful of lawyers against the amendments. I thought far more would rally to the Senior Council, Senator and former AG whose criticisms of the amendments have proved unanswerable.

Where are the battalions of lawyers who were so visible for Yes in recent campaigns? Seems they haveN’t the stomach for inserting BS into Bunreacht na hÉireann but they are not willing to bite the hand that feeds them by challenging the political establishment on which so much of their business depends.

Emer McLysaght knows the amendments are BS but the prospect of siding with the Catholic Chirch is too much so she’s a Yeah,No.

Emer McLysaght: The Government has made a dog’s dinner of the whole referendum thing, no?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-style/people/2024/03/01/ive-finally-moved-my-vote-up-to-dublin-just-in-time-for-a-dogs-dinner-of-a-referendum/

Lawyers group urge No vote in family and care referendums

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/02/29/lawyers-group-urge-no-vote-in-family-and-care-referendums/

Advertisement