Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Phoenix Park is also a national monument, yet the same OPW has no problem covering it in **** car parks, while blocking buses and bike share schemes from using the park!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Was scanning the docs being uploaded from the hearings, and noticed that the Mater has written to say that they're pleased to confirm that an agreement was reached with TII on all of their issues, and that they won't be attending the hearings because they now support the project.

I know that it's taking really long, but I'm still impressed at how TII are clearing off all the obstacles that can be cleared off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Would the same things be sorted for Wynn's Hotel in Abbey St very soon?

The hotel management made a submission on the seventh day of the ML oral hearing recently that their advance hotel bookings from guests would be severely affected if the TBM was drilling underneath the hotel for 2 weeks. They also said to TII that the building is a protected structure and has been operating for 170 years. When the Luas was built outside the hotel; they said they put in triple glazed windows into the building when the Luas Red Line went into service outside the building.

TII had carried out an assessment and a report on their concerns about the issues regarding the hotel. TII concluded that the noise coming from underneath the building would not cause to too much disruption to the hotel's business to guests when ML officially gets the RO cleared from ABP.

The noise distruption according to TII would reach it's peak in two or three days.

I personally don't think that is a bad outcome for any of the staff or guests who are in the hotel.

It would be great to know that this issues coming from Wynn's will be cleared up very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭prunudo

Again, another complainant cap in hand, objecting to the short term inconvenience and missing the long term benefits that Metrolink will bring them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's a sort of difficult one to sort really, sort of not really at the same time. Wynn's have to know months in advance of when exactly the TBM is going underneath in order to warn guests/not accept bookings for those days, but that level of detail just isn't really possible so far out. They might be able to give a more realistic timeframe once they've been tunnelling for a while, and can see how it's going.

On the other hand, it's not like it's going to be some kind of Metallica concert going on next door. Many people won't be affected by it, and for those that are, it's only a couple of nights. Should be possible to warn guests of a possibility of noise during a two week period, and offer them some compensation from TII.

Just FYI, I'd class this one as having zero effect on ABP no matter what. TII could tell them to suck one, and I doubt very much that ABP would change anything, their recommendation their is going to be along the lines of "offer compensation" rather than "do mitigations".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Giving the tunneling depth I don't think it's logical that anyone at surface level will hear or feel a thing. People in Marino swore blind their houses were shaking when the port tunnel was being built and later found out the boring machine was 4km from their house and they'd just been at the sherry too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Imagine even considering an objection to the Metrolink on the basis of two weeks of disruption to a hotel compared to providing a major infrastructural project which will benefit so many people in the city for potentially hundreds of years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Also said disruption is imaginary, there won't be any measurable impact on the hotel.

Yeah, it's definitely something that makes me think of Mountain out of a Molehill. There are some people that'd be very sensitive to stuff like this, and then there's the majority of people that would only realise that something was going on if you pointed it out to them, and then there's a minority that'd never detect it, even if you showed them on a seismometer. We shouldn't delay or change a project just because a minority might be temporarily affected.

Ah, I don't mind, not really. Every one should have the ability to put their opinion on this across, it's just how our legal and planning work. Should it cause any changes or disruption to the plans? No, I don't think so, nor do I think it will in the end. Where I'd get really pissed off is at the JR stage. By then it'll be very clear that TII have done their homework on this, and that any JR will be speculative in the extreme. Still not sure on the odds of a JR being taken, with Trinity, Dartmouth Square, and (I think, this might be some other fossil that complains about this stuff) Colm McCarthy over the Carlton Cinema, all being the most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wynn's didn't seem too concerned about guest disruption when they proposed adding a floor to the top of the existing hotel...

• Advertisement

Not only that, but you can be sure they'll be using the 'a quick metrolink journey from airport to our door' to entice tourists in the future.

But given how the hotel sector has behaved in the last 2 years, I'm not surprised by their short-sightedness.

Metrolink Oral Hearings starting back up today, which should be painful. Dartmouth Square community have 3 hours(!) in which to try and tie together an incredibly loose collection of vibes and attempt to make a difference in this case. Three hours, holy Jebus, I'd chop my ears off rather than have to deal with that level of entitlement. Metro South West are up tomorrow then, for 15 minutes, with Frank MacDonald up for another 30 minutes.

Speaking of entitlement, Trinity were meant to present their case last Thursday, and nothing has hit the media at all. There's no docs put up on the RO website about it either. Not that I'm super familiar with the railway order process, but that seems unusual, to say the very least. Doesn't look like they've been rescheduled either.

Of all the issues raised so far, this is probably the largest, in my opinion. TII missed that a new building was going up, and performed their assessment based on the old building.

This would go into the category of "Do mitigations, pay compensation", so still nothing major, but not a good look, even if understandable (the plans for the new building where only available after the assessment had already started.)

EDIT: In fact, TII have already responded, they're planning on sending the tunnel deeper between SSG and Charlemont to avoid the issue.

TII have reached an agreement with Fingal over Santry Lodge, so that's a very minor banana skin dealt with.

Equally, it could be said, what were Dublin City Council doing, granting premission without considering that the building was over the metro route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The anchors underneath Irish Life’s property, the Cadenza Building on Earlsfort Terrace, would be at least one metre inside the tunnel, based on the current plans

This is a big headache. There is only so much deeper that the tunnel could be routed without having to materially change station design.

If they raised this at oral hearing, they would have had to lodge an objection to plans in the first place. But reporting makes it out that this is first time TII are made aware of it?

TII’s representatives told the hearing they were not aware of the changes at the Cadenza building. However, barristers for Irish Life said the plans were approved in 2018 and the drawings had been available online since.

TII said it has changed its plans relating to Hines’ building on St Stephen’s Green, on foot of information that was passed onto the Metrolink project’s coordinators just last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

they were made aware of it Submission No. 129 long before the oral hearing.

https://downloads.metrolink.ie/documentsro/MetroLink%20RO%20Statutory%20Consultation%205.2%20Pt%201%20of%202%20-%20TII%20Response%20to%20Submissions%20001%20to%20140.pdf

but TII did the same thing they have done to anyone who points out that the metrolink will cause damage and responded that the damage would be 'Slight/Very Slight damage''.

TII did not bothering to read the plans for the Cadenza Building given to them by Irish Life or check when responding and just gave a default reply that everything was fine, turns out they had done a damage assessment on a building that was already knocked down, that a new building had been granted planning in 2018 and was well under construction when the damage assessment was meant to be done. turned out the building foundation anchor bolts would have been 1 meter inside the tunnel.

they made the same mistake with another building that they reviewed for damage even tho the building had been demolished in 2013 long before there was a metrolink plan.

The company said the impact assessment described Aercap House as a "five-storey building without a basement" and said "that is a better description of the previous building which was Canada House", as Aercap House is a "six-storey building with a two-storey basement and a piled perimeter wall".

it's interesting that, the two buildings with proven large dumb mistakes were at the bottom of the RTE article when they were first on in the morning.

there is mistakes all over the RO, TII won't admit any error unless someone tracks down all the evidence and 100% proves it, any point raised is dismissed with don't worry. we will do another damage assessment (phase 3) after TII have planning approved and someone can't object and will then tell the person what damage will actually happen to them, and if it's cost a lot to repair you need to sue them in court to get damages, so they need to wait 9 years till it's finished for all damage to be done then take them to court and good luck if that does not take another 5-7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

This is a fairly bad error but "there is mistakes all over the RO" isn't correct. Seems like there was a miscommunication along the way though curious they got planning from DCC given they would have had to have known about a potential clash.

It is correct, having read and studied the full RO, there is a lot of mistakes. incorrect sound data modeling, incorrect damage data, wrong building types being listed, incorrect heights, buildings that are to be demolished being using in the sound models 2-3 years after there date of removal this affects what level of sound is received by the now exposed buildings, buildings that are on the RPS "record of protected structures" being classified as modern buildings with modern foundations and so being shown has getting less damage than they will, the wrong sound levels being used for construction. I could go on for pages and pages.

I understand the huge task it takes in making the RO, and it's understandable that there will be some errors but the errors can change peoples lives for the worse so denying they exist or TII just giving generic responses to people and not double checking the work done by the lowest bidder is not an acceptable response.

There was no miscommunication they did not do there job. Canada House was demolished in 2014, how in 2020 can someone be writing a damage report and describe a building that was gone 6 years before? and it's not small changes one was a 5 story building the other a 6 story building with two basement floors an important point if your going to tunnel under it.

the other building had been granted planning in 2018 when Metrolink was only in the "Emerging Preferred Route" stage in May 2018 without fixed plans.

the damage report for the "Cadenza" building was produced in 2020 when the place was a hole in the ground and described the old building which had been knocked down. the only way that happens is if your just using google street view and not even bothering to do a simple walk around the place your planning to build a 10 billion euro subway.

and you go to the conclusion that it's a fault of DCC, TII have had 6 years to look at the route and see what is there and was built, it's easy to check the planning web site. and they failed to do that simple check. TII have a policy of deny everything and anyone not totally in favor of it is a a NIMBY

everyone wants good transport links like the metrolink built but that does not meant that when it's build peoples buildings being damages or their houses being made uninhabitable for 9 years should be swept under the rug

If all of these error's do exist, you could make a fortune writing up an article about them for the Irish Times. Given the TII has a reasonably good track record for getting these things correct in past projects, I will tend to give them the benefit of the doubt that whilst this was a bad miss, it is one of only a few.

TII have a policy of deny everything and anyone not totally in favor of it is a a NIMBY

Given the amount of backroom dealings which have been done in the lead up to the hearings, theres pretty decent evidence that TII have been doing their best to come to compromises with everyone, the Mater hospital being an example of this. The exceptions are folk who genuinely haven't a ton of leg to stand on, or that completely acquiescing to their request would have led to a fairly radical change in the project (e.g OPW and Trinity) and even there there have been compromises made.

The only folk who I feel like have earned the title NIMBY are the Dartmouth Square Residents Association, who have been doing their damndest to get this project halted, and have been lobbying every TD in Dublin Bay South.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There's a big possible red flag there in the RTÉ News article about the Candenza Building in Earlsfort Terrace.

I think it was making some errors about quotes from officials working for Transport Infrastructure Ireland. The article was misquoting the TII officials in error as TFI officials which would be the people who work for Transport for Ireland. TFI is the consumer brand of the National Transport Authority. They are a completely separate agency as opposed to TII who are the agency responsible for applying to build ML under their RO.

Are the officials who are doing the oral hearings for those impacted by ML are being conducted from TII & ABP?

Do Transport for Ireland have any officials present at these oral hearings for ML?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Houses uninhabitable for 9 years? How can that be even remotely possible?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Assuming thats from the dartmouth square nimbys? If so its absolute horseshit they arent digging in the same place for the whole construction phase

No didn't you hear? As first order of business TII are going to run a TBM straight through those houses, and turn it into a giant pit for all the rail workers to piss in for those 9 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah it's bizarre. A metro to bring guests directly from Dublin Airport to their hotel and all they can do is complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Reminds me of when a friend of mine quit smoking some years ago. Out for a meal, and she spotted a candle lighting, she began coughing and spluttering uncontrollably because of the smoke. The waitress came, picked up the candle, turned it upside down and switched it off. 🤦

Horseshit? if it is then it's from the houses mouth TII

"A5.2 Construction programme Including Tunnel Elements.pdf"

https://downloads.metrolink.ie/documentsro/A5.2%20Construction%20programme%20Including%20Tunnel%20Elements.pdf

there is 45,000 m3 of rock to be removed, drilling and 27 tons of explosives needed to blow it up. it's 100 feet deep through 70 feet of rock. that's going to take 4-5 years of building as per TII. and the TBM and the extra tunnels are still not built they come after the station box is built another 6-12 months of 24/7 shift work by the tunnel guys to build them. and then there is 3 years of 24/7 fitting out of the station. all of this is in the Railway Order if anyone bothered to read it, no need to make it up.

Given that they have been through the construction of 2 Grand Parade, a similar distance away, I am sure that they will persevere. Certainly won't be making their extremely lavish homes "uninhabitable".

That is the entire construction timeline for each station + duration of logistics hubs etc that apply.

It does not mean digging duration, and it certainly does not mean making houses uninhabitable. Can you elaborate on how houses are to be made uninhabitable for 9 years?

• Advertisement

Also slightly curious where the figures for "45,000m^3 of rock" and "27 tons of TNT" came from. They're so specific that I kind of assumed they were reasonably accurate but have found nothing relating to that in the planning documentation.

Advertisement