Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Yeah, I actually don’t remembered her doing a whole lot as Home Secretary, lots of inflammatory rhetoric but very little in the way of action. However the post I was replying to referred to what she is saying now, I assume it was about a recent Telegraph article. I haven’t read it and have no interest in doing so. She is an irrelevance these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm pretty sure the 'Ireland is full' believers have legal immigrants in their sights as well as asylum seekers. If you look at Brexit, the immigration aspect that fuelled the Leave vote was all about EU migrant workers, not refugees or asylum seekers - they were the ones portrayed as putting pressure on housing, hospitals and schools, depressing wages, stopping British people from getting jobs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Look I've no doubt there are people who want all forms of immigration gone but from what I see on this thread the concerns are about the free for all (as another poster put it) that's happening now and not legal immigration. You just made a post this evening about what if Ireland had only Irish born workers. No one has said they only want Irish born living and working here or if they have I've missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

I don’t think anyone is asking for anything like they? where are you getting this narrative from? People are asking for stricter border control and ramped up faster processing with actual deportations rather than the odd one here and there .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's part of the EU's new entry/exit system, the system that Ireland isn't taking part in as we've a open border with a non eu country that's not part of it.

You don't need to be EU or Schengen to be in it, and there'll be no hinderance for us but the UK travellers will have to register and pay a fee so maybe they'll join so then we can too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

When Straz starts a post with "I'm pretty sure..." it's probably time to move on and read the next post - I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to correct their musings with actual facts

Speaking of facts - just what the hell is going on here?

It's from gov.ie and I think it's from the start of this year (not sure) The rate of Nigerians arriving between the 18th Feb and the 25th Feb seems to be 1074 - It's a safe country according to O'Gorman but McEntee didn't want it classed as such, cos it was too much trouble for her Dept - This is the sort of s**t we're dealing with here - personal egos and attempted self preservation

This is the piss take to beat all piss takes - Bolivia eh? The word is well and truly out - Ireland is fully open

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

And Eswatini (formerly Swaziland), what's the story there? It's quite small, drove near enough to the border one time, at the time it was going OK from what I gathered, made money from tourism, knew south Africans who visited... An absolute monarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I do not suggest we remove migrant workers.

I suggest that we remove migrant non-workers.

To start with, any EU citizen who can't take care of them self.

EU laws do not oblige us to accept these people.

Let us actually implement EU law, and remove these non-working EU migrants.

(this would include the Puskas family)

For example, the individuals begging every day in Galway city, part of organised begging gangs, need to be booted out of the country.

A worker on below average wages of 42k, should not face a 48.5% marginal income tax rate to pay for non-working EU migrants, who choose to arrive here, and beg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭mistersifter

The reason Bolivia, Swaziland, South African, El Salvadoran nationals (among others) are/were applying for asylum here is because they are/were not required to have visas to come here. They can simply buy a ticket and board flights no questions asked by airlines. Then they arrive and either pose as tourists at the airport before later claiming asylum directly at the IPO, or else they destroy their passports at the airport and claim asylum immediately.

The thing to note is that each of these nationalities IS required to hold visas to enter the UK and Schengen zone, so they just come to the weak link Ireland to claim asylum, or else they try to use Ireland as a back door to UK/Europe and claim asylum here when those attempts failed.

Bolivians have been required to hold visas in Ireland since last September so virtually none are arriving now which just goes to show how easy steps are not being taken to deter chancers from safe countries.

All the other nationalities I mentioned should be visa required but there is no will to do this.

Botswana is another country that for some mad reason is not visa required here (same in the UK in this case)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

Who said it is as cut and dried as this?

Do Singapore/ Denmark etc allow a free for all in terms of immigration as some kind of penance for being successful?

Do they heck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

And she was sacked for racism and inflaming racist tensions

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't buy it. We all know that all this anti migrant sentiment won't stop in relation to "illegal" migration at all. Very good point above by Strazdas - in the UK they all blamed EU migrants for everything.

Post Brexit immigration has gone up. 🙃

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Meh, makes no difference what you buy or not. Ireland is not the UK and the vast majority of Irish people are absolutely fine with and welcoming of people who come here to work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I Followed the Brexit campaign quite closely - I’d disagree with what you have said here about blaming migrants from the EU, maybe some did ”they all” absolutely did not. I feel it was more about the finances of the EU and how it was costing the UK.

You may be getting confused with some of the advocates for Brexit wanting control of their borders back - this was due to illegal/irregular migrant channel crossings - similar to what we are experiencing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Convinced this boils back to sinn fein getting a lot of votes last election. Let the greens run riot as a weak coalition by fg ff. Fingers up to the general public. Maybe I'm overthinking but I do think varadker is spiteful character. Mehole is just weak.

nigeria has to be added to the safe country list at this stage it’s a piss take.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,339 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Hundreds of these asylum seekers in the snow in their tents.

Does Roderic O'Gorman give a toss?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

The top 3 are hilarious, totally 100% legit refugees/asylum seekers

i’d actually say he does. But i really don’t know what more can be done? And i’m not picking up for the guy here. We’ve spent billions… what do you think he should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I would say Roderic judges himself by his intentions rather than results. As such he will feel that current policies are very successful because they are based on generosity etc. The fact they have failed in practical terms won't bother him as much as it might bother someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Isn't it a mad situation that people want to not stop illegal immigration?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thank you.

This is interesting.

It seems that we could reduce the volume of AS making bogus claims by requiring visas for travel.

Why do we have different travel visa policies to Schengen countries?

So you're saying he doesn't care?

Lots of videos this week of the hundreds of tents on Mount Street.

They weren't put there by the far right. This government put them there.

I would say as mad as people wanting to have open borders and letting anyone and everyone in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I don't know much about Singapore but I do know Denmark, who many here seem to see as some sort of 'ah sure just send em back' Utopia, has gone down the indefinite detention route, including the imprisonment of children.

Will the Irish public ever vote for this?

Will they heck!

Better to just let literally everybody in and create some mega shanty towns and watch every service go even further down the toilet.

Irish Refugee Council tweeting about the hundreds of tents in the snow.

It says the government response is inadequate.

Is this first time they've criticised the government?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Or build houses and improve services...

You know the stuff we should have been doing for the last decade but didn't.

They are always critical. I do at times find it hard to take considering the amount of people we have taking in over the last couple of years.

• Advertisement

Such a simplistic view - must be amazing. Just build them with the lack of labour, get some in to fill the jobs, oh look they've nowhere to stay. Lob up a metro there in a few weeks. Magic up a solution to the healthcare mess, lack of GP's etc.

All paid for with our limitless magic money tree. We are so rich after all! And all this will happen while thousands more arrive every month as we have to take everybody in. Even if it means we have to pay for them for life too. Magic money island.

The result - open borders liberal paradise!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement