Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Dems would have looked far weaker if they turned on their incumbent sitting President, considering a) the economy has grown during Biden's term, b) sitting Presidents always have a huge advantage going for re-election (Trump is one of the very few who failed to be re-elected), and c) the line from the GOP would have been that the Dems are showing they made a mistake supporting Biden for the last few years, why would you trust them now?

The only thing people can really point to Biden on is "He's older than he was 4 years ago". Yes, he moves slower than he did, looks more frail, and mixes up his words a bit more. That's not enough for the Dems to have pulled the ripcord on him for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Like the colleague I mentioned earlier in the thread who said to me with a straight face "Trump is a character but Biden is a crook!".

Me: ??? Er... 🧐 Are you maybe confusing their names or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

How'd ya like dem drug prices, economy, student debt forgiveness?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm sure there are many more out there that share your view re "disappointed trumpist"

I'm almost concerned with DJT leading in the polls that people or the backroom staff will be too complacent.

Yes, I agree with most, it would have been difficult, but Biden had originally said he only wanted one term. If he could have been persuaded to not run again, it would have been better for the democrats IMO.

I certainly would not be a fan of student loan forgiveness if I had paid my student loans in full or in part already, and others got theirs for free. The american economy is not all great either, unless you work in tech and have avoided the layoffs! Theres a large part of the country struggling. I wouldn't put the economy, student loan (partial) forgiveness, or drug prices as something Biden should be pushing. None are likely to win swing voters. Biden needs to hold blue states and win multiples of tossup states like WI, AZ, PA - although the GOP are leading in most of those in most polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Why are you against drugs (like insulin) being affordable?

What is Trump doing to lure swing voters? From my (biased - I cannot abide the rapist) position, all I see is him whining about how unfair it is that the courts are after him, or that Joe Biden is old (like he is some spring chicken himself!)

I'm not as worried. Polls are no longer reliable. When was the last time polls were right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Why are you against drugs (like insulin) being affordable?

Because they don't need insulin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Same with "I certainly would not be a fan of student loan forgiveness if I had paid my student loans in full or in part already, and others got theirs for free."

Which amounts to "I wouldn't be a fan of people not having to be in debt for decades if I had been in debt for decades"

The failure of previous governments to tackle the absurd cost and impact of student loans on people does not mean successive governments should enforce and protect that cost and impact on future generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭banie01

One of the most telling statistics regarding the US disdain for their sick, poor & weak is IMO at least, the rate of amputation encountered by diabetics in the US.

The US is no place to have a chronic illness if one isn't wealthy. The diabetes angle hits home as it's an illness that I suffer (and if memory serves? You too?)

My diabetes would quite literally bankrupt me within a couple of years stateside. Whereas here, and in most other developed countries. It is afforded a level of support in health spending that assures complications are avoided. Avoiding complications and keeping people healthy? Keeps people productive and contributing longer, it raises economic output.

The retreat from Truman's National Healthcare plan for post WW2 and the wedding of social care, social democracy and public healthcare to Communism, was a masterful stroke by US health insurers at the time. It's a smear that has stuck like a limpet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I said before and will say it again: my wife has a long term illness that requires a steroid injection every 2 weeks to maintain health of her legs. Thanks to our drugs scheme it's "only" 144 every month; if we lived in America we'd be on skid row because this otherwise innocuous drugs cost thousands.

To be against lower drugs pricing is just at best misanthropic and a real "fúck you I'm fine" kinda attitude towards those whose illnesses are unavoidable, deleterious and require constant medicinal intervention.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yes, I agree with most, it would have been difficult, but Biden had originally said he only wanted one term. If he could have been persuaded to not run again, it would have been better for the democrats IMO.

If Trump had just faded away into obscurity like any other ex-president then I'm sure Biden would not be considering a second term and would have happily retired himself and left it to a straight fight between two new contenders. But with a lunatic ex-president still on the scene the Democrats have to play their incumbent presidential hand to counter any recognition bonus Trump might have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Ranting??...jeez...you're getting as bad as them.

Yes ranting

“The radical left Democrats are at it again. They're constantly making up stories about me because their candidate is a mental and physical basket case. There's never been anything like it. He's also the worst president in the history of our country. He went on a very poorly rated show last night, and he talked about Donald Trump and his wife, I don't know the name of my wife.

He was referring to the fact that at CPAC (Conservative Political Action Conference), where I had a sold out speech, the biggest audience they've had in years, I think maybe ever. I made the statement that Melania was very popular because when I mentioned her name, the audience went wild. I then looked at the two people, man and wife, Matt and Mercedes Schlapp, and I said, ‘Wow, they really like the first lady.’ So this got taken as the fact that I thought Mercedes was the first lady, has nothing to do with that.

These people are really dishonest. They are absolutely something. They have a horrible candidate who's a horrible president. They make up things constantly. You take a look at when I use Barack Hussein Obama and I interject him into where it's supposed to be Biden, and I do it purposely for comedic reasons and for sarcasm because a lot of people say that Obama's running the country, not Biden, because he's sleeping all the time. They say, ‘Oh, I don't know the name of the president.’ Or when I imitate this guy getting off a stage, what they do is they say, ‘Oh, he had trouble getting off a stage.’ I have no trouble getting off a stage. Anybody that watches what I do at rallies would say, ‘Wow, that's amazing. He can go two hours without a teleprompter, not making even a little mistake.’ Very few people, maybe almost nobody, can do what I do.

So here's the story. The disinformation of the Democrats is unbelievable. They do it because they have a horrible candidate.

“Don't associate me with the mental midget that you portray because I want to tell you, he should not be leading this country. And hopefully on November 5, he's not going to be. We're going to have a big election, we're going to have a big victory, and we're going to make America great again.”

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

That's just his normal delivery and you know it...you're trying to say now the content of what he said constitutes ranting? Gimme a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,585 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yes, its a rant. What possible reason is there for him to record a video, and post it, about a TV show and POTUS making some jokes?

He wasn't laughing about it, he is clearly p1ssed. And went out of his way to go on about that, and other non-related things.

Not sure what you think a rant is but it pretty much the definition of it. The fact that it is his normal mode is true enough, and should be telling you something about the man that claims to be a stable genius and wants to be taken seriously for the position of POTUS

So you can make sense of what he's saying and think he's using normal syntax??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

That's a rant. Just because it's his normal delivery, means nothing. It just means he normally rants.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think you've become a little neutered to the style of Donald Trump. The man seems a singularly unhappy, bitter and angry individual and his default style of speaking is akin - or just actually - a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trump's buttons are so easily pushed it's ridiculous. It's an absolutely glaring weakness. The Biden campaign needs a whole department that just thinks up ways to make Trump as angry as possible so as to maximise the possibility of independent voters voting against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yes, ranting.

And raving. He's a raving loon.

Many people say, probably all of them, that he's the looniest loon of all time. Bigly. Really really yooooge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Calling it normal delivery does not make it normal. He rants all the time, this was another one of them, a normal human would not rant like he does, but that is mainly due to his very sensitive ego and thin skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

Judge in Mar-a-Lago case likely to delay trial

Aileen Cannon appears inclined to reject prosecutors’ proposed timeline as Trump lawyers push for delay in classified papers case

The tension was underscored by a further fraught exchange between Cannon, who at one point cut off the assistant special counsel David Harbach mid-sentence to remark she knew they disagreed with her – to which Harbach responded with an equally curt “we do”.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

I know we tend to be quite dismissive of polling in this thread (or at least polling that doesn't support our positions and preconceptions), but there was a truly awful NYT\Siena poll this weekend.

Key findings:

1. With eight months left until the November election, Mr. Biden’s 43 percent support lags behind Mr. Trump’s 48 percent in the national survey of registered voters.
    2. Only one in four voters think the country is moving in the right direction. More than twice as many voters believe Mr. Biden’s policies have personally hurt them as believe his policies have helped them. A majority of voters think the economy is in poor condition. And the share of voters who strongly disapprove of Mr. Biden’s handling of his job has reached 47 percent, higher than in Times/Siena polls at any point in his presidency.
    3.  About as many Democratic primary voters said Mr. Biden should not be the nominee in 2024 as said he should be — with opposition strongest among voters younger than 45 years old.
    4. Mr. Trump is winning 97 percent of those who say they voted for him four years ago, and virtually none of his past supporters said they are casting a ballot for Mr. Biden. In contrast, Mr. Biden is winning only 83 percent of his 2020 voters, with 10 percent saying they now back Mr. Trump.
    5. One of the more ominous findings for Mr. Biden in the new poll is that the historical edge Democrats have held with working-class voters of color who did not attend college continues to erode.Mr. Biden won 72 percent of those voters in 2020, according to exit polling, providing him with a nearly 50-point edge over Mr. Trump. Today, the Times/Siena poll showed Mr. Biden only narrowly leading among nonwhite voters who did not graduate from college: 47 percent to 41 percent.

TLDR: voters are highly unenthusiastic about Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mr. Trump is winning 97 percent of those who say they voted for him four years ago

That should be alarming for Trump. He has picked up scant new voters. In addition to many Republicans coming knives-out for his presidency, many of whom pledging to vote against him for the sake of protecting the democratic processes, he can likely not expect to pull in the same number of votes as he did in 2020.

Exit polling is very different to a Times/Siena poll. And disapproval is not a lost vote:

And they are among dozens of former Trump officials who have criticized the conduct of their former boss. Those who saw him up close have called the former president a “wannabe dictator” (former Joint Chiefs chairman Gen. Mark A. Milley), a “consummate narcissist” (former attorney general William P. Barr), and a “moron” (former secretary of state Rex Tillerson, reportedly). But Barr reportedly has suggested that a second Trump administration — which he likened to “playing Russian roulette with the country,” according to Axios — would be less dangerous to the country than a second Biden administration. Voting for Biden, the outlet quoted him as saying during a speech in Florida, would constitute “outright national suicide.”

Which raises a question: Just how serious are some of the anti-Trump Republicans about keeping him out of the Oval Office? Serious enough that these dissenting former officials would actually vote for Biden?

Ty Cobb would. “If the time comes and a vote for Joe is required to stop Trump, then I’d grudgingly vote for Biden,” Cobb, who served as a special counsel in the Trump White House, said in an interview — adding, though, that he fears “this sad choice perpetuates the domestic divide as well as the substantial risk we continue to face internationally.” (Despite serving in Trump’s White House, Cobb says he never voted for him.)

Though some are content to 'throw your vote away'

John Bolton, Trump’s former national security adviser, would not. “My focus, right now, is to make sure he doesn’t get the nomination,” Bolton told The Washington Post. But if it does come down to Trump vs. Biden, he said, “I’ll do what I did in 2020: I wrote in the name of a conservative Republican.”

"TLDR: voters are highly unenthusiastic about Biden."

This was also largely true in 2020. But again here, we're very enthusiastic about voting against Trump. And I said many times, I'd vote for an inanimate carbon rod before I vote for Trump (and yes, I've written that in on many a ballot in the past when nobody worthy was running)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

"Mr. Trump is winning 97 percent of those who say they voted for him four years ago, and virtually none of his past supporters said they are casting a ballot for Mr. Biden.

In contrast, Mr. Biden is winning only 83 percent of his 2020 voters, with 10 percent saying they now back Mr. Trump."

What's alarming about retaining 97% of past voters while gaining 10% of the opposition voters who is down 17% of their past vote?

ultimately in the US the numbers don't count as much as we think it all comes down to the college electoral votes and a few key swing states

now where swing states are at on both trump and biden in 2024 is another matter perhaps someone else knows

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Panrich

There’s surely no way that Trump has won over any voters in the past 4 years!

If people weren’t mad enough to vote for him in 2020, then I can’t see how anyone else has since turned around and gone you know what; I didn’t vote for him last time around and I know that since then he’s started an insurrection, has been found to be a rapist, is facing 91 charges in the courts but I’m jumping on the Trump bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

There's no indication that Trump has gained those votes. Also I'd have a strong suspicion that plenty of voters that Biden has lost are likely to vote for him in the event of a rerun of 2020.

Also worth remembering that the Biden campaign is getting a huge amount of small donations. So I'd suspect there's plenty of support out there. Also I'd equally have a suspicion that there's at least a ten percent drop in Trump's support from 2020. You get voters that are simply uncomfortable with stating their position. That was pre insurrection etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,585 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I also think a lot of those polled are saying they would prefer Biden to be replaced. He is too old.

But when the election comes around they will have a simple choice. Biden or Trump.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that anyone will swap from voting Biden in 2020 to Trump in 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,401 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement