Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Everything else aside, it's bizarre to implement a new paper-based voucher system these days. Even Dublin Bus moved on from this sort of silliness a decade ago. Contactless and self-service accounts for almost all sales now and shops have adapted greatly for this, so it should have been requirement number 1 to seamlessly and instantly have deposits returned and not to affect commerce.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That's totally misrepresenting what the article says:

Some products are expected to vanish off shop and off-licence shelves, with smaller international companies signalling an unwillingness to pay for Re-turn deposit recycling labels.

Your post mentioned LIDL, Coca Cola, Fanta and Tropicana. They are not smaller international companies \ brands and clearly was not the type of companies Mr Jennings was referring to.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

You're the one implying other people are lying about bins on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well you advised them to file a complaint.

I'm asking you how does that get their deposit back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I have found from past experience that complaints in writing are more effective.

They also provide you with a written trail of what has been exchanged.

The first salvo might not do the job and you might have to go further.

I have never lodged a complaint with Re-turn so I can't gauge exactly what their response would be.

But I note @bogmaster has had some success already today albeit with a different issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Hmmm, normally I'd agree but isn't that outa the Catherine Martin playbook these days. Sending letters is all well & good, chances are they'll end up in the bin, hopefully a recycling bin.

But if you want results these days, hitting the social media is a lot more effective. And of course, why the state would like to limit the public expressing their forthright opinions on same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I know that this has been mentioned on thread before but some producers and retailers are definetly using this to bring in some significant price rises. There's very few drinks I buy but was in a Centra today and spotted that bottles of lucozade zero (which had a 2 euro price stamped on its packaging a few short months ago now has 2.20 on the packagine + 15 cent DRS deposit.

So a ten percent price rise and a 7 percent deposit to be paid.

There's definetly people make money from this scheme and using it as a reason to increase prices - I suppose this has been identified already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

Hardly surprising. The producer has to pay a fee for each item they put on the market. If producers costs go up they put their prices up. Anyone, including Re-turn, who argue this scheme is cost neutral is living in a fantasy world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Second week of this nonsense for me. 3 cans refused to scan, so I kept removing them and retrying -

It's officially a pain in the hole now.

A lady was at the machine next to me and a man was waiting for us to finish. We had a grand aul moan about it. I used my voucher at the till which was then duly torn in 2 and chucked in the bin under the till.

Tune in next week for the latest exciting update. 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Well, I wouldn't use a letter to start with especially as the stamp would cost more than the amount involved.

The social media airing makes sense and would be more effective if the company can be shown to be refusing to put the matter right.

The bedrock of a deposit scheme is the return of the deposit when the consumer complies with the terms and conditions. They simply can't get away with unfairly holding onto the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm not sure what that has to do with my post.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The producers pay into the scheme, so they "own" it, not the retailers? It's their annual membership and fees for product placement that fund the scheme (as well as unclaimed deposits, money from reprocessed material etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

First time returning my bottles - 9 1 liter bottles is big (1 carrier bag) when you cannot crush them... ( I know we should stop drinking orange juice).

First machine was broken - second machine took 1 bottle then put up a red X saying it was broke now too.

Had to leave with my shopping bag of 8 bottles + shopping- felt like just leaving them there. Hope experience improves because first impression of this system is its much worse than just putting them in the Green bin.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That's nuts, what shop is that? Name and shame

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Not nuts at all really, another reality of a scheme such as this thats been foisted on people with little or no thought given to it.

So you'll post the problem here but not the problem store? Makes me wonder how true it is

No it's definitely nuts, especially with the high value campaign supervalu and Centra were run in the lead up. If course considering the original posters unwillingness to disclose the location it might not even be happening

I posted a pic, and can show email to and from ReTurn. My problem is not with the shop, it is this system. This shop delivered groceries to my door during Covid and before, tho not sure if they still do. Delivery was free!

Staff have always been great and would often see shop owner on the premises, always with a hello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jj880

So if the store name isn't provided it might not be happening. Photo of the sign looks legit to me.

Well I suppose its slightly better than demanding proof manual returns take up staff / customer time. Progress.

If I name the shop, how do you know I am giving you the actual shop?

Anybody can print an A4 sign and put it on a noticeboard so it's questionable. In fact a photo editor could be used to create the same photo, wouldn't even need to print or snap a photo

If legit then knowing what store this is would help people on here to avoid

Most of the shops themselves are just a franchise essentially - they will operate the way that suits them best - generally.

I don't have any reason to believe the photo is falsified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

yes for sure, you're right about that. There is people making money from this scheme, however sometimes the pendulum swings both ways XD.

Re-turn haven't given consumers much to work with, and there's alot of inconveniences caused by this scheme. We just need to find more ways to make it work for us. For me small bottles like tropicanna and robinsons fruit shoot keep getting rejected, and every so often a couple of the bigger sized bottles. like for every 100 recycleables i may find anywhere between 5 and 20 being rejected. it gets annoying, especially when frequently using the machines. But i feel bad for alot of the other people who have big black bags filled with return logo containers, who try 5 or 10 bottles from the top and then give up after seeing them constantly being rejected. If it were me i would advise people bringing a seperate spare empty bag with them to put the rejects into, that was they don't get in the way or put back into the same bag as the non-rejects. Its a hopeless feeling to try scan 3 in a row for them all to be just spat back out. i'm not surprised there's people leaving bags at the machines. Some of them are just giving up, or are just frustrated after realizing they don't work. i don't blame them. but saying that there are some people who have non-eligable stuff and just random non scheme based things.

Either way i'd like more people to be able to make the scheme work for them. Like as horrible as this is being pushed on all of us, i would genuinly want people to be able to benefit from the scheme. it's hard for people to make use of the scheme when they're only getting their own money back.

Maybe there should be an addition to this, where if people redeem a certain amount of cans/bottles in a row, they get something. And have it funded by returns profits, rather than coming out of the people's pocket. Some incentive.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

I explained my reasons why and I can guarantee you 95% of posters here do not shop at these supermarket. I take great offence your attitude that I am making this up. I posted one week ago seeing the sign and posted upon my next trip to town would take a pic which I did today.

I'm not saying you're making it up, I'm suggesting that naming the store would give greater credibility

There's a lot of accusations flying around social media and once you ask for more details they go quiet

Post edited by Red Silurian on

As you know people are even struggling to get their own money back at this point.

I can see people in certain situations being able to claim back as much as you have there. They would generally work in large buildings as cleaners or facility staff where there are segregated bins in place or "cleanish" bins where items can be recovered from. I've seen this situation in my own building and amn't sure yet if anyone is taking advantage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jj880

I wouldn't. My post was directed at Red Silurian about their demands for proof on here being farcical. Maybe I'll start looking for "proof" every time someone gets most of their bottles / tins accepted at an RVM.

• Advertisement

How does it give greater credibility? Do all posters upon seeing a post drive down to the named shop to see if what has been posted?

Hopefully it will be taken down shortly, but you are welcome to drive here, going to cost ye a fair bit in fuel mind ya.

So, if making this up, I print out the notice, go into the shop, post it up on the noticeboard near the RVM, take a pic, take it down, email ReTurn,

get a reply, answer reply, and post all my actions here. That's a fair bit of work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement