Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

George Galloway is back

• 01-03-2024 7:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Haven't seen a thread in this so decided to start to start this and see people's opinions on this and it's implications for UK politics.

A brexit supporting, conspiracy theorist ex rogue state media employee, exploiting sectarian divisions in the Labour party to get elected can't be good for the future.

🙈🙉🙊

Post edited by Montage of Feck on

Comments

The voice of a great orator will echo through the halls of Westminster once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NoMoreDonegalTuesdays

Galloway is a total charlatan who supported the slaughter of Palestinians by Assad at Yarmouk and support's Putin's genocidal war against Ukraine. He's a bosom buddy of the far right too. Like Claire Daly and Mick Wallace, he has zero interest in Palestinian human rights. He uses the issue purely as a cynical cloak to gain attention.

But the moral vacuum at the heart of mainstream British political leadership over Israel's genocide of Gaza is so great that he was able to successfully con people that he actually gives a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Unfortunately, some people are easily impressed by style over substance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

A third country that voted to make is self poor by competing with other third countries on low cost basis in one of the richest markets in the world does it again, no surprise really. Well as long as they keep it up, we'll have a source of cheap stuff closer than China.

To be fair to him, he thought that was Saddam Hussein in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Isn't Rochdale one of those places that had a child sex grooming gang?

I'm surprised people would vote for such a pro-Muslim candidate like Galloway given the outrage stoked by certain outlets after that. He seems to be pally with Farage and even got an endorsement from Nick Griffin. What a bizarre mix of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's just a complete anomaly that got him elected.

He will get his short run and the door at the next election.

Not really a indication of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Keir Starmers silence on Israels slaughter of the Palestinians is going to become a bigger problem with each passing week and lead to the loss of a number of Labour Seats in the next British GE, probably scupper a Overall Labour Majority.

Over 500,000 marched in London 2 weeks ago, whilst the Tories dont care about anyone only themselves , Labour was always supportive of Human rights but Starmer seems to a Tory Lite not Labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

He was head of the CPS when all those Postmasters were prosecuted, right?

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They were mostly Royal Mail/Post Office prosecutions weren't they, not CPS. The Post Office is (or at least was) an organisation allowed to bring it's own criminal court cases without needing to go through the CPS process.

Some background to how the prosecutions went, and the concept of a company being able to bypass the CPS.

Why the Post Office was able to bring private prosecutions in the Horizon IT scandal (theconversation.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

Perhaps something of a Watershed moment for Islamic beliefs starting to make inroads into British Politics. Given Rotherham itself has Muslim population.

Labour is going to get cannibalised regardless of it's stance on Israel when a party of Islam inevitably forms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I asked a question. Another poster answered. First day on the internet for you, is it?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Fantastic orator.

Political crank charlatan.

Beloved of jihadis and lover of jihadis.

May herald in a nasty sectarian politics in to England, which is coming anyway, he will help midwife that baby.

Will possibly be a significant problem for labour.

More interested in a bit of trouble thousands of miles away than any local or State issue.

What's not to find fascinating and exciting?

He has roubles bursting out of his pockets from his time presenting on Russia Today, nothing dodgy about that whatsoever. He was first anti-Brexit and then pro-Brexit. Seemingly left-wing and in touch with the Muslim community but has been supportive of Farage.

I'm personally sceptical of anti-establishment/left-wing Scots who are also unionists. Its a very odd combination.

The cynic in me would suggest he's only looking out for himself and possibly identifies with Farage as someone wanting to take the system down (while being bankrolled by the Kremlin).

Apart from the welfare state, labour and the majority of the Muslim community are largely at opposite political ends.

A marriage of convenience which worked because labour turned a blind eye or facilitated things that it would normally absolutely oppose, kept the money flowing.

It was always going to end sometime, this is another crack in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

It just seems crazy that the hard left is so obviously pandering to political Islam now. With the political middle ground now a quigmere it really leaves the door open for populists and worse it get their foot in once more.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Calm down.

He has promised Rochdale a new Pennies.

It's the main reason he got elected along with the fact he had no credible opposition.

He will be out in the next cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Does anyone really see Galloway holding the seat beyond the imminent General Election?

Once Labour dropped their Candidate and made clear he no longer enjoyed party sanction? The choice was between Galloway, and a Tory or a collection of political cranks including Reform and the LDs who only stood to gain Tory votes really.

Galloway is a 2 faced charlatan, he will do little good for Rochdale. That said? He may rattle a few cages amongst a UK political establishment that still affords Zionism a free hand in Palestine.

I still don't see him as an MP post GE though.

Many on the left see the Jews as capitalism in an ethnic form, Islamic fighters are the main enemy of Jews and they see that as part of the fight against the West, against Capitalism.

They will turn a blind eye to the rest of the beliefs because they presume that it is the Jew and the West that are behind every single problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

At least he's supported by good people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sigma101

What I like about him is his incredible humility and that he's always right about everything.

I find it extremely odd that a nativist like Nick Griffin is so happy about Galloway's success, unless he's trying to discredit him with a kiss of death.

I struggle to see where their interests (at least, their publicly-stated ones) meet, apart from being anti-establishment. You have one person who demonises non-White Christian Brits and another who embraces Muslims.

There is something very strange going on behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Alhamdulillah. Master Troll is back in business.

They both dislike Jews, they both are passionate about Palestine, both are anti NATO, anti America and on and on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I find it extremely odd that a nativist like Nick Griffin is so happy about Galloway's success, unless he's trying to discredit him with a kiss of death.

He was being ironic surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

Their interests meet in anti-semitism. There's nothing strange or hidden about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

George Galloway would win an Irish Presidential election if he were to stand in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I wish them well, at least it'll be their heads on the chopping block before mine if they ever get their way!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yeah I think he falls into that category of people who don't really believe in anything apart from their own self aggrandisation.

You often see people like this swing wildly around in their political beliefs. A good example of this is Clare Fox who was a member of the Revolutionary Communist party until her 40s and then later was an MEP for the Brexit Party. She now sits in the House of Lords having previously been a vocal critic of the very existence of the Upper House.

Another is Naomi Wolfe, who wrote the feminist best seller The Beauty Myth in the 90s and worked on the campaign to elect Al Gore. Nowadays she's a frequent guest on Steve Bannon's War Room podcast which is firm part of the MAGA media universe while courting patreon subscriptions from right wing conspiracy theorists.

Russell Brand is another classic example. He used to mock the likes of Fox News but now that he's been a guest of some of their shows as he's switched entirely to target a more conspiracy adjacent audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

He wouldn't. We've never done anything but elect a diplomatically safe pair of hands to the Presidency. Despite some flirtation with the fringes in some elections, dignity is still important to us in the end.

But he might well get elected as an MEP. That's the traditional place we try to "stick it to the establishment" by electing cranks and loons. Because we know that it won't matter too much. It's the equivalent of voting for the most stupid option in a poll about naming a new giraffe at the zoo. It feels good, and it's only a giraffe, not your own pet.

Alright but lets imagine a typical Nick Griffin supporter.

I don't think its too much of a stretch to think they'd be hostile towards Muslim immigrants, to put it lightly, especially in a constituency where White British girls were the victims of paedophiles from immigrant and Muslim backgrounds. It was very easy to demonise a whole community after that revelation. We even had posters here foaming at the mouth about it and warning that the same will happen here.

If that is your way of thinking, surely you would be against the person you support all of a sudden praising a new MP in your area who is openly pro-Muslim? Are these people such anti-semites (I mean real anti-Semites as opposed to merely anti-Israel) that it trumps their previous hatred of people who look like the ones who assaulted local girls? It really takes some mental gymnastics to get to that point.

Similarly, on the other hand, if you are a Muslim who voted for Galloway, would you be happy with him palling around with Farage? The attention from Griffin has been unreciprocated so far but you really wonder just how Galloway's voters feel if he is now being championed by someone who villifies their community.

Are all these people such rabid anti-Semites that they can forget recent grievances and unite on a common enemy? Because if that is the case, and the Jews are annihilated (I'm aware this is all very hypothetical), it won't be long before they turn once again on the Muslims.

FWIW, I'm just trying to get into the heads of Nick Griffin supporters who now see him championing a friend of a group they hate. I don't agree one bit with Nick Griffin's politics or anything similar and I'm quite sceptical of Galloway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Looking at news again at lunchtime it’s sickening to see the Israeli slaughter of Palestinians…., Israel forces are out of control and killing all round them … future generations will find it hard to comprehend how the world stood idly by !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He's not left wing nowadays given his support for many far right positions.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

"Left winger" cosying upto big capitalist business 🙃

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭brickster69

Galloway's interview with Sky following Sunak's speech to the nation tonight.

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

His views on Israel would be very popular in Ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭brickster69

They must be considering Ireland's admirable stance on the issue since the start of this collective punishment and continuous trampling of humanitarian law.

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Paul_Crosby

George Galloway is not hard left he's a pretty socially conservative Muslim

Also he said shoot me if you ever see me vote Tory, and he voted Tory, had some fun debates, horrific coward of a man considering how powerful his speeches can be, tenderly catered depending on whose in the audience of course

Big pal of Paisleys too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

He's apparently the devil incarnate according to Sunak and the Tories. Which goes to show the similarities between said party and our FF/ FG/ Green overlords. Those who oppose or challenge their positions on these matters are condemned as great dangers to society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Paul_Crosby

Uh, horseshit mate, I'm on the left and I despise Galloway but I've heard him go buck mad to people for making even vaguely anti-Semitic remarks, one time on his show a woman said something like "that's because it's all run by Jews" and even though Galloway is a snake to be fair even with a heavily Muslim audience he said I'm sorry but that's antisemitic trash and I won't allow you to say that, George would also point to Rupert Murdoch and say he owns the media and he isn't Jewish so stop with the nonsense about the canal

He's a slimy fucker though, but that is one thing he's never been hypocritical on, in fact he had a great rant once about the Jews who helped overthrow Apartheid

No. He's a buffoon who abandoned anything remotely left wing years ago and is very firmly allied nowadays to far right.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement