Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Musicrules

But there is something different. Nothing wrong, just different. People should be encouraged to embrace their differences, not hide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,905 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Whatever about the rest of it, this should be pinned to the top of the thread:

A big problem for young girls with dreams of becoming professional sportswomen is that there's an endless stream of people desperate to brush what's going on at the grassroots level under the carpet.

The backlash you’re obviously hoping will happen though, well that’s unlikely for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being the interest in women’s sports just isn’t there in the first place. Compared to men’s sports they’re just nowhere near each other in terms of influence, promotion, opportunities, etc, and that’s even before the treatment of players and the behaviour of coaches and management is observed.

One could be forgiven for thinking that it’s managements job to cover their arse when the issues at all levels in women’s sports are pointed out to them, they often complain that it’s inappropriate and unfair for the players to air their dirty laundry in public. The women’s Spanish team - nobody would have known, certainly there wouldn’t have been the backlash there was had management been successful in being able to cover up the stink. Ne’er a word about it now:

https://apnews.com/article/spain-women-rubiales-world-cup-30cac2479fe03b47c6dd32821ca916a6

There’s been no rush of mediocre athletes from the men’s game to the women’s in French rugby either since they gave World Rugby the two fingers, and their performance hasn’t suffered. It could be something to do with the fact that since the women’s game went professional, it wasn’t just the stakes and the standards increased:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fspor.2023.1120162/full

One could be forgiven for assuming that because of the performance of the New Zealand men’s team, that the women’s team would be similarly well represented in the women’s game. There are reasons why that’s just not the case, and it comes back to the fact that from grassroots level up, the treatment of women in the sport just isn’t taken seriously:

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2022/apr/17/england-france-lead-way-women-rugby-let-down-black-ferns

I wouldn’t be making any comment about weird guys on the internet who can’t accept that they lost an argument either, seems unnecessary, as though you’d accept the opinions of experts who don’t share your opinion:

The IOC’s medical and science director, Richard Budgett, said in July that the 2015 guidelines were no longer backed by science. Under that framework, transgender women had to take medication to lower their testosterone to below 10 nanomoles per liter for 12 months.

“I absolutely accept that, things move on,” he told The Guardian at the time. “At the time the 10 nanomoles per liter was set because we thought that was the lower level for men. We know now that they go down to seven and women can be higher as well. Agreeing on another number is almost impossible and possibly irrelevant. You can debate that endlessly.”

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/581969-controversial-olympics-guidelines-on-trans-women-suddenly/amp/

Diouf's endocrinologist, Alain Berliner, said the 21-year-old "is a woman, from a physiological, hormonal and legal point of view.

"Her testosterone levels are currently below those found on average in women who were born as women..." he said, showing Reuters the results of her blood samples dated May 2.

https://www.reuters.com/sports/athletics/were-being-hounded-french-transgender-sprinter-decries-olympics-ban-2023-05-09/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

There's a view out there that maybe only the top elite level of sport needs to have this strict separation by sex. I was reading somewhere recently that women's professional football in Germany is organised by sex, whereas the amateur game allows males to play against women. Unfortunately, that doesn't solve the kind of problem faced by the women's football league in England, where just one male player is causing mayhem (article below). I really think it has to be voluntary, with some leagues allowing it and players opting in on that basis. For what it's worth, my daughter used to play adult ladies gaelic football. She was never consulted about the LGFA transgender policy (and I don't believe anyone in her club was). I suspect the LGFA are playing the same 'wait and see' game as most sports here, hoping that nobody like the player in the English league, actually shows up some day hoping to play.

In the US a few weeks ago a trans girl won a Div 2 high school high-jump state championship (New Hampshire). This person has never lost a competition when competing as a girl. Activists might argue in this case that the female Div 1 champion jumped significantly higher than this person, thus "proving" that trans women aren't going to win everything. But, are the girls competing in Division 2 not entitled to a level playing field as well as the girls in division 1 (in this instance) or like the professional women's soccer players in Germany?

There's lots of fun events out there like parkruns, cycling sportives and the like, but competitive sport at any level is different and it doesn't seem too much to ask for women and girls who don't want to compete against males, to have that option.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12771963/supporters-transgender-woman-footballer-threatens-lawsuit-discrimination-opponents-terrified.html

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Firstly, well done Kim O'Brien for not bowing down to the minority.

It's obvious that the break at the beginning of each frame is the single most important part of each frame. More powerful arms and shoulders means a more powerful and usually better spread of balls post break. Men have demonstrably stronger arms and shoulders in the majority of the population and as such, an unfair advantage over women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭thegame983

If it says 'women' in front of something - women's' tennis, women's billiards, women's bathroom.

Then it's for women.

It's not complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Silly, "petulant" woman. How dare she! I'm sure she's distraught that a bunch of men on the Internet, who no doubt rarely leave their homes to go to a bar to play pool, let alone play professionally, have a problem with it.

I wouldn't be proud of regularly being at bars.

Good for you 👍 much better to spend your time online complaining about women who want their own sports leagues free from males.

Not to mention the fact that the male player has had the advantage of growing up a male playing an extremely male dominated sport. It's not as easy for girls to get into a sport that is played in such male dominated environments. Same as darts. It's about more than athletic prowess, it's about access and opportunities. The male player has had them their whole life, would have had no problem joining a league or a team, from childhood onwards, or walking in to a pool hall to practice. Kim O'Brien would have had to fight for it. It's part of the reason why women's leagues exist in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I know from my twins (boy & girl) that pool and snooker was picked up almost naturally by my son but not my daughter. I introduced them to pool at the exact same time of their lives. I motivated them both at the exact same time & way to the game. I can attest that it took greater effort for my daughter to adjust to pool.

It’s one of those games that come naturally to the male brain and not the female brain.

Hats off to Kim O Brien. That forfeit hopefully counts as a wake up call to the sports organisation that allowed a man to play in a female pool competition.

They should hang their heads in shame.

It’s one of those games that come naturally to the male brain and not the female brain.

That's an awfully sexist opinion I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭volchitsa

The idea that there is a male brain and a female brain does seem sort of sexist, I agree. But if the body and its genitals don’t define being male or female, and nor does the brain, then where exactly is this inherent male or female gender situated? In their soul?

Some new research shows that brain scans can be identified as male or female with 90% accuracy.

The fact that it's based on AI makes it hard to draw conclusions about specific abilities (like playing pool) but they used something called "explainable AI" which allowed them to see which areas of the brain are showing activity that differs by sex.

Well the handful of times that my daughter has been able to play pool, she loved it and was able to beat me and her dad pretty handily after several games and we all had great fun. This was when we had access to our own table in a hotel suite though. When given the choice of playing in public, at a bowling alley or arcade for example, she doesn't want to. It's intimidating in a way that the male player mentioned above would never have had to contend with. Just another one of the reasons why girls sports that's actually just for girls is important

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

So what is a woman - at what point can a person say they are a woman and expect to be accepted as same?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Looking at a body is 99.99% certain, yet TRAs would have us believe that that’s just a lottery. So 90% is poor. 😚

More seriously though, that’s fascinating, but I don’t expect it to ever identify sex for various reasons: it requires a special kind of AI just to identify things that are happening in the brain rather than what the brain itself is.

For instance, bilingual people have identifiable brain characteristics too, but that is a consequence of their bilingualism, not its cause.

So unless new born babies show these identifiable male/female traits, and more reliably than one can identify their sex by just looking at their genitals, such differences are probably no more than interesting anecdotes.

(Not that you were saying differently of course. I'm just pointing this out. Just in case)

Post edited by volchitsa on

I suspect the LGFA are playing the same 'wait and see' game as most sports here, hoping that nobody like the player in the English league, actually shows up some day hoping to play.

Bit late for that plodder?

https://extra.ie/2022/09/09/news/transgender-gaa-player-speaks-out

Just a thought I was recently having and forgive me if this seems insensitive however is society at a point where we could have fully able bodied men claiming to be handicapped in order to compete at special Olympics or such like. 

All he would have to do is “believe” he is handicapped and he could compete & win for the sake of winning.

We’re at that point long ago, it’s why the Special Olympics were set up - to give able-bodied people with what are considered to be intellectual disabilities the opportunity to show off what they could do. More important than accepting they are handicapped and the limitations that are placed upon them by Society, is indeed their belief that they can win -

What is the Difference Between the Paralympics, Special Olympics, and Olympics?

Special Olympics is for athletes who have intellectual disabilities. Our athletes come from a wide range of ability levels, but in order to participate they must have an intellectual disability. Special Olympics athletes may also have a physical disability. 

https://www.specialolympics.ca/british-columbia/news/special-olympics-paralympics-olympics-whats-difference

There is nothing sexist about a scientific fact.

That depends on what anyone is claiming is scientific fact - sometimes it is blatantly sexist, sometimes unintentionally so, as in your claim that precision games like snooker and pool were one (or two, I wasn’t sure which one you were referring to) of those games that come naturally to the male brain and not the female brain, based on your observations of your own children.

One thing I would never do, is argue with a parent about the capabilities of their own children, they know their own children better than I do for a start, but something I can do, is argue with another adult who makes specious claims that they claim are based on scientific fact, thereby assuming their claims infallible. There are a variety of reasons why their beliefs are mistaken, less important than the actual belief or beliefs themselves, but rather than get into that with them, I’d simply point out the distinction between science, and scientists - science is objective, humans are not -

In principle, science is considered to be an objective knowledge system that proposes theories that can be supported or refuted by data. In fact, the very definition of science, as formu- lated by Karl Popper, is that it must be refutable. In this formulation, articles of faith, like most religious doctrines, are not science because they can neither be proved nor disproved. Science allows itself to be constantly updated by new information and empirical evidence. Science is also supposed to be open and democratic and in some sense, casteless, though many social scientists will argue that the high priests of science have as much influence over their faithful as any religious leader.

https://kslab.weebly.com/uploads/5/7/7/0/57708927/kartikshanker_dte_15sep06_conbio.pdf

It’s for this reason that I knew the study plodder references would invariably be introduced into the discussion once it was going that way, and how I knew that it would be scrutinised by none other than Gina Rippon. I think the headline of the article sums up her position nicely for anyone who isn’t bothered to read the article -

Take it from a neuroscientist: searching for a ‘male’ and ‘female’ brain is a waste of time

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/22/male-female-brains-different-centuries

For Rippon, the effects of sex stereotyping (which is what you’re doing, unintentionally) kicked in early too -

For Rippon, a twin, the effects of stereotyping kicked in early. Her “under-achieving” brother was sent to a boys’ academic Catholic boarding school, aged 11. “It’s difficult to say this. I was clearly academically bright. I was top in the country for the 11+.” This gave her a scholarship to a grammar school. Her parents sent her to a girls’ non-academic Catholic convent instead. The school did not teach science. Pupils were brought up to be nuns or a diplomatic wife or mother. “Psychology,” she points out, “was the nearest I could get to studying the brain. I didn’t have the A levels to do medicine. I had wanted to be a doctor.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/science/2019/feb/24/meet-the-neuroscientist-shattering-the-myth-of-the-gendered-brain-gina-rippon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It looks like the rules for transwomen to compete in the women's category are

1. "The athlete's total testosterone level in serum must remain below 10 nmol/L throughout the period of desired eligibility to compete in the female category."

We know that this does almost nothing and 10nmol/L is roughly 5 times the average female level.

We know that this does almost nothing and 10nmol/L is roughly 5 times the average female level. 

To be fair, we also know that ‘the average female’ as a quantitative measure of anything, is completely useless. That’s why the measurement of testosterone levels is used, as it doesn’t matter then whether a person identifies themselves as either male or female - an objective measurement exists by which they can be classified as eligible to enter into the category for women, or not.

I would suggest that far more influential than testosterone levels when referring to individual athletes, is the influence of their parents, family and friends, the social supports they have, basically. Take for example Nutcharut Wongharuthai, competes in both the World Snooker Tour and the World Women’s Snooker Tour - her parents owned a snooker hall her mother was a cashier at a snooker hall, and her father enjoyed playing snooker, and she began playing when she was 10:

Mink’s promise has been plain to see. Three years ago she reached the last women’s world final to be played before the pandemic hit. She made a 147 in 2019, recently reached the quarter-finals of a Q Tour event, beating several male players en route, and won the women’s British Open last month. 

https://www.eurosport.com/snooker/why-nutcharut-mink-wongharuthai-is-perfect-flagbearer-for-snooker-s-future-after-women-s-world-champ_sto8793613/story.shtml 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mink_Nutcharut 

She doesn’t seem too bothered about her opponent’s sex, self-belief which has proven to be useful, particularly given the fact that the US women’s champion just happens to be… well -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/62821241.amp

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2022/09/snooker-champ-predicts-end-womens-sport-trans-women-can-play/ 

In contrast, Lynne Pinches, one of Britain’s top female pool players, turned down the opportunities she would have been afforded by a professional contract, because of her beliefs -

https://www.bbc.com/sport/wales/68183503.amp 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Just catching up on the thread... Your response here reminded me of this, you might enjoy it.

Richard Feynman on magnets

I enjoyed his sense of humour far more than his knowledge of quantum physics:

I was hearing for the first time how far his cancer had progressed, so the jokes did not seem so funny. He must have noticed my mood, because he suddenly stopped the story and asked, "Hey, what's the matter?"

I hesitated. "I'm sad because you're going to die."

"Yeah," he sighed, "that bugs me sometimes too. But not so much as you think." And after a few more steps, "When you get as old as I am, you start to realize that you've told most of the good stuff you know to other people anyway."

We walked along in silence for a few minutes. Then we came to a place where another trail crossed and Richard stopped to look around at the surroundings. Suddenly a grin lit up his face. "Hey," he said, all trace of sadness forgotten, "I bet I can show you a better way home."

And so he did.

https://longnow.org/essays/richard-feynman-and-connection-machine/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Rippon comes across more like a sociologist (with a chip on her shoulder) than a scientist.

Rippon:

This paper is obviously not wanting to draw any inferences about the value, or even the meaning, of the differences they found, but the impression we are left with – magnified by the media interest it sparked – is clearly reflecting an ongoing “hunt the sex differences” agenda

Stanford Medicine:

The findings, published Feb. 20 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, help resolve a long-term controversy about whether reliable sex differences exist in the human brain and suggest that understanding these differences may be critical to addressing neuropsychiatric conditions that affect women and men differently. “A key motivation for this study is that sex plays a crucial role in human brain development, in aging, and in the manifestation of psychiatric and neurological disorders,”

There you are, meaning and value right there.

As for her general argument though, that brain scan differences can be explained by the unique life experiences we go though in life, - that can only be taken as a opinion, because she has not shown that nurture is the sole reason for observed differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭xyz13

I don't want to live in this twisted woke society.

3 sides to every story...

Rippon comes across more like a sociologist (with a chip on her shoulder) than a scientist.

You’re not the first person to make that observation 😁

Simon Baron-Cohen, who I believe you’re familiar with, makes a similar observation -

Most biologists and neuroscientists agree that prenatal biology and culture combine to explain average sex differences in the brain. So why does Rippon box herself into an extremist position by arguing that it’s all culture and no biology?

https://archive.ph/20200224173826/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-gendered-brain-by-gina-rippon-review-do-men-and-women-have-different-brains-vq757qnph

Personally I think it’s a cheap shot to diminish her opinion on the basis that she is a Feminist, so that fact in itself would influence her opinion and the direction of her research and its interpretation of the data, in just the same way as Baron-Cohen’s politics influence his interpretation of the same data or research. It’s why I suggested already that rather than claiming something is unassailable on the basis that it is scientific fact, there is a distinction that must be made between science (objective fact) and scientists (subjective opinion) -

I’d simply point out the distinction between science, and scientists - science is objective, humans are not.

What you’re pointing out there is their motivation, not the value or meaning of their findings, which is the point Rippon is making, that the media will extract their own value and meaning from the findings in order to fuel the culture wars that some people find more interesting than the opportunities presented by understanding the sex differences that exist between males and females in addressing neuropsychiatric conditions that affect women and men differently. Both Rippon and Baron-Cohen would be interested in the findings in their own ways given they are both concerned with research into conditions such as autism, and how that is thought to present differently depending on sex and/or gender -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_gender_differences_in_autism

I suspect the LGFA are playing the same 'wait and see' game as most sports here, hoping that nobody like the player in the English league, actually shows up some day hoping to play.

Bit late for that plodder?

We discussed that person before. So, I'm well aware of them. What I was referring to was someone who plays so hard that serious injury is caused resulting in other teams forfeiting games. I'd say we would have heard about it, if that was already happening in the LGFA. I don't know if the player you mentioned is still playing.

Take it from a neuroscientist: searching for a ‘male’ and ‘female’ brain is a waste of time

The nice thing about that kind of science is that because it can be repeated easily, it can easily be refuted or confirmed. Whether it is a waste of time or not, is another question. I can understand why people who want to highlight gender ahead of sex might say that, but the authors of the paper say the following:

A key motivation for this study is that sex plays a crucial role in human brain development, in aging, and in the manifestation of psychiatric and neurological disorders,” said Vinod Menon, PhD, professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences and director of the Stanford Cognitive and Systems Neuroscience Laboratory. “Identifying consistent and replicable sex differences in the healthy adult brain is a critical step toward a deeper understanding of sex-specific vulnerabilities in psychiatric and neurological disorders.

• Advertisement

Because AI never hallucinates not can an algorithm be inadvertently sexist or racist nor can researchers fallaciously confirm a bias they have, or ignore cultural biases. Except they can.

Advertisement