Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Admonishment as Ash J said and also monetary fines unless Ireland agrees to take an allocated amount .

I am sure the poster has posted on this before here .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

No, it's clearly not an easy choice. So you think all refugees should be asked to leave? Do you think all Ukrainians should be asked to leave?

Read the thread. I answer the exact same question a post above. I don't want to spend my time repeating myself when I don't need to.

You must be on the wind up if you think Ireland being first the first ever Western country to refuse to take any asylum seekers would have zero negative implications tbh.

Not really. I'm one of those 84%. Having people sleeping is tents is ridiculous. The government have completely failed to uphold their responsibilities to asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think the increasing concern over the numbers that have arrived from Ukraine, the benefits and exemptions granted them, the resources diverted to housing them, the recent story of the massive amount of money spent on rescuing their PETS as well, and the changes now to several of these points by Government in response to said concern shows that in fact the majority of the population HAVE had enough and want to see limits/controls put in place.

As I've said many times before, I have complete sympathy with their plight and condemn the actions of Russia, BUT I feel no responsibility for it or for resolving it (that latter part lies with their leaders and whatever settlement is ultimately arrived at) and I question the motives of anyone who travels from one end of Europe to the other (skipping through all the countries in between) to land on a small island - especially when there are (as shown on that BBC graphic I posted a few days back) huge areas of their own vast country not involved in the conflict zone, and when the Ukrainian foreign minister has called on them to return.

It's not our fight, Russia certainly doesn't care about our opinion (and if anything likely welcomes the destabilising effect that their actions have had in Europe), and we will have no influence on whatever the resolution is.

You talk about Ireland’s response to the refugee situation of WW2, 80 years ago!! I dare say that very few if any of us posting here were around back then and it's easy to look back now and condemn and - I'll grant you - probably rightly so, but as I said, the mistakes of the past shouldn't shackle us in how we address the problems we face today.

You are dismissing the hundreds of millions (up to 2 billion this year) that is spent on foreign aid but all of this comes out of the same finite pot, and as we've seen, giving to one means taking from someone else.

You talk about our moral duty here but what about our moral, constitutional, legal and political obligations to the Irish state and her people? We don't elect politicians to put the needs and interests of randomers ahead of our own. We expect them to work towards fixing the issues we have, and improve things for the future - not make everything exponentially worse in an ill-judged crusade to show the rest of Europe how charitable we are!

What benefit is it to anyone to see communities stretched to breaking point? Who benefits from putting people in fields? Where's the advantage of putting an already broken healthcare system under even more pressure? How do tourist communities benefit from having their hotels and other buildings repurposed to holding dislocated frustrated people with nothing to do?

As I've also said many times, charity begins at home and that's where our efforts need to be to address the long standing fundamental issues in core services and infrastructure that everyone is negatively affected by. Once we have a handle on that, THEN we can think about the needs of others (which doesn't necessarily mean bringing them and their problems home) - but again, let's not forget that we are ALREADY giving 2 BILLION euro to the needy of the world.

Your position is undoubtedly from a sense of charity and empathy and that's commendable for sure, but all such things still have to make sense in the real world of economics, politics and social support and THAT is where the whole house of cards falls apart I'm afraid.

That's why the polls are showing that people have had enough, why protests and unfortunately more extreme forms of resistance have increased, and why the Government has belatedly started to take note and actions (albeit from a sense of self preservation in upcoming elections).

There's only so much we can do given our own needs, problems, and resources. That's not inhumane. That is life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭mistersifter

The concept of a list of "safe countries" is strange in itself.

A list of UNSAFE regions where wars are ongoing would be more effective. If an applicant is not from an area on the unsafe list - appli

Agree with this. The Gardai have in recent weeks actually been arresting some undocumented arrivals. But there is not enough holding space to do this on a large scale. Unfortunately a tent and 40 quid is actually an acceptable prospect for some.

"General sense". That's very definitive. Does that mean you are now saying we should refuse entry all foreigners?

It hasn't manifested in any support for any party who are saying we should close on borders. Its very possible to have an opinion that immigration is too high but not want to do anything about it as the alternative is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Christ talk about hyperbole. I can guarantee you there would be no "massive exodus" of foreign companies were Ireland to refuse IPAs outright. Especially after all those taken in.

Foreign people who came here through legitimate channels are even annoyed with the illegitimate IPAs.

And how do you know irish people don't want to take that approach? The echo chamber that agrees with you maybe, along with our virtuous government who continue to enrich their pals.

I'd wager the 84% of people in Ireland polled recently might think otherwise. The people in the streets might think otherwise (*my experiences at least being up and down the country with work), majority ITT think otherwise, even the leftie haven that is reddit are now sick of this farce. But keep beating that drum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Lol you missed the mark by quite a lot. I don't mind "buy me a coffee" as there is not that much of a coffee in the world comparing to what I was talking about actually. The grift and fleecing of taxpayer by politicians sending our money to selected landlords who are creating ghettos out of a villages and towns all over the Ireland. Shipping hundreds of people at a time to places where they have a zero chance to integrate or to avail of any services. Curiously enough, none of the proposed housing places are built in areas where overlords live and most of the housing provided would have zero chance to pass standards or requirements set for accommodation if you were to try to put it on rental market, yet all of them charge top dollar from the government.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with that..lol

Do you know what you just said ?

In addition to converting nursing homes, hotels and student accommodation, I see governments are now onto offices and land.

Land. As in fields.

So we're basically herding IPAs like cattle now now. If we're gonna start using fields then technically we'll never be full, but just stop and think for a minute the mental gymnastics involved to achieve "we're not full".

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

And isnt your solution to close the borders to everyone. To "decimate" immigration, including folks working for MNCs and returnimg irish.

Nice thinking Einstein. Newsflash..its never going to happen.

I see your points .

I don't disagree or dismiss the aid we give , I said we do give a lot in foreign aid .

But this is a different situation, it is comparable to our effort or lack of, in WW 2, precisely because it is a major European conflict which , in our lifetime is having and will have far reaching effects .

I agree the government were OTT with benefits for Ukrainians and think that all aid to past arrivals should be that of the latest . Their numbers have slowed but there are other advantages to coming to Ireland other than the money which we can be proud of . It is easier to blend in a country as liberal and easy as ours . I know the cynics will say yes liberal and easy , but these are positives. Ithink you know this but choose to see it all as a negative or ignore the pull factor of the culture we all love do much .

Not going to go into all the problems our country faces again .

I have detailed the same myself here and elsewhere and as you know I am not a fan of this government.

But as I am aware and living through it myself , I have the right to disagree that we are not all going to be held responsible if we push back against taking in Ukrainian refugees,and treat any genuine refugees with respect and dignity.

We cannot turn away from those who are in dire need and continue living the way we want when these people's families are holding back the very biggest threat to our way of life since WW2.

And for the other refugees those that are genuinely fleeing war and persecution cannot be refused .

I think that those from safe countries should and I think now are being limited and other countries could join those lists.

The government have handled this so badly, from not investing more in our healthcare and housing and infrastructure while we have had the extra money from MNC taxes , to not ensuring Irish people have enough homes, and controlling the cost of the housing market ...And not communicating in real terms with people who are getting angry and allowing a vacuum where other voices can fill with hype and misinformation.

This is where I cannot accept your rhetoric .

I see your points and the issues in our country , but I cannot bring myself to agree with you because we differ so fundamentally on the way this situation should be handled.

You commend me for my charity and empathy but it is not believable because then you are saying I am naive essentially .

I am not naive , and politics and social support influence economics as much as the other way round .

It is just two different ways of thought , not that one is better than the other.

But while I do respect your opinion and well thought out posts , .. I just don't agree .

If you're going to ignore my questions, don't expect me to answer yours.

Great, more unsubstantiated opinions. Let's stick to the facts - there's been no increase in support for parties advocating refusing entry to all asylum seekers.

Also, if we are refusing entry to all asylum seekers by all logic we should be throwing out any current ones. I have heard any supporter for getting rid of every Ukrainian on Ireland, absolutely none actually.

A Brazilian leaving because of the immigration. Brilliant. Again, stop with this nonsense about everyone getting keys to new houses. Let's try and stick to the facts. We are going to see a mass exodus of immigrats? What are you complaining about then? I thought that'd exactly what you want to happen.

You need to quantify that "alot" with actually facts. People have shown no interest in voting radical though. Where the massive jump in support for the nationalist party, the Irish Freedom Party or any of those other tiny tiny fringe parties on the right? Even the Farmers Alliancd haven't cone out and said they'll ban all asylum seekers and asylum applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Kitty Holland, as usual, making stuff up. At no point were temperatures "sub-zero" last night in Dublin. They were well above 0 through the night time period (around 4c) and were at the lowest at around 8am, still just above zero. Not saying it was pleasant but get the facts right.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

84% of people have an issue with immigration.

Yes smaller parties are not making inroads in the polls. The government have had massive windfalls in corporate tax over the past 2 years. They have fired money at everything since. 10% blanket public sector pay rise, social welfare rises, tax reductions, energy credits, etc. They have pacified the public with this money. Along with the billions spent on immigration, it's unsustainable spending and a day of reckoning will come. That's when change will happen. So yeah people have issues with immigration but are putting up with them for now.

Edit to add: Stop conflating legal immigration with illegal passport burning scammers. I never said anything negative about our legal immigrant workers, or genuine asylum seekers. I am against mass immigration of passport-burners for the monetary gain of a few connected entities. I am against the Irish Immigration Service doing nothing. I am against tents on the streets, portacabins in Naas, IPA hotels. I am against IPA's getting services over our own homeless. I am against this rubbish that we 'have to take' everything that arrives without a passport. Absolute nonsense.

This is irrelevant. There's no outright anti immigration party, and even the ones promising to get serious on it are in their infancy with hardly any candidates in any constituency to pose a real threat this term, so not sure why you keep referring to this as some sort of litmus test. It's null. All realistic parties including opposition have a common ground on this which is clearly out of touch with the vast majority public opinion on IPAs. FFG/SF being in the next government is not a sign of IPA immigration working as much as it is a lack of choice. If this issue continues at this pace, even I could create a party in 2027 focusing on IPA deterrence and win by a landslide.

I remember joking last year as a farmer if FFG will pay me to house IPAs in my fields, it's now a reality. I couldn't have predicted in the past 5 years we'd have situations where gardai prohibted us from leaving our homes by more than 1km, we couldn't go for a drink without buying a token €12.50 meal, taking in 100k from Ukraine, government promising third world citizens their own door accommodation in eight different languages yet we now find them in tents, fields and offices. Who knows what the 2028 elections will bring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement