Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

I was kind of hoping we would see one of the academy THPs get a game v either Quins, Crusaders or this fixture. With Ryan and Archer out of contract, Salanoa having a set back to his long term injury, it may have been a good opportunity to see what McSweeney is like. With that being said Rowntree was slightly implying that Munster could be looking at signing a THP, mentioning that just because they signed Jager, doesn’t mean they are done yet.

I though hooker or LHP would be more pressing needs but we’ve re-signed the likes of Clarke, Buckley and Donnelly so probably be done with those positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Munster are definitely having to moneyball it with their signings. But there's huge potential for upside in the likes of Kilgallen, Jager and Burns.

Dare I therefore suggest....

Mun-eyball?

<Gets coat....>

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I dunno. A "Moneyball" approach would be getting guys who are under the radar and can do a very specific job for the team. It would be like bringing in a tighthead from Argentina on the cheap who is going to lock out every scrum. I'd say the three guys above are very well known, were on the radar of the Irish coaching team and sought after by teams particularly for the roles they were brought in for.

I'd say the closest example to the Moneyball approach (potentially without the lack of money) would be what ROG has done in La Rochelle. He has a specific plan. Crush opposition up front in the scrum and maul. His signings have gone hand in hand with that. Below are the lads signed by ROG (not including guys like Atonio who were already there). It's incredibly effective and shrewd. Even without lads like Skelton, Wardi, Atonio and Bourgarit at the moment they're obliterating teams in the scrum.

• Colombe - back up tighthead: 142kg
    • Kuntelia - 3rd choice tighthead: 135kg
    • Sclavi - back up loosehead: 135kg
    • Sorin - Espoir prop who has featured in several T14 games this season: 134kg
    • Skelton - starting lock: 145kg
    • Dillane - back up utility forward who was a lock but has played most of his rugby at flanker including openside: 115kg
    • Cancoriet - back up No. 8: 112kg (only a slip of a thing compared to some of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I wonder if James French returning from Ulster could be on the cards.

Knox gone, Ryan and Archer - are they finishing up this summer?, Salanoa injured seemingly all the time, McSweeney hasn’t featured much yet. Jager involved in Ireland squads.

Could be a case for a big signing at tighthead prop, especially with Snyman moving on.

• I couldn't see French return tbh. I could see Ryan stay on for on more year though.

With Jager in the Irish picture, there would be positives and negatives to signing an NIQ TH. And then the question would be, who do you sign? Leinster are probably in the market for an NIQ TH also with Al'alatoa heading to Clermont.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Or, as nod to one of our regional towns.....

Moneygall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hey !! hands off Moneygall, thats a proud offaly town / village / hamlet

😅

Nice start, Quinn has good power in the tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Some very fast hard direct carrying tonight, Haley being asked to carry alot and it paid off. RGS has a lovely offload in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Story with the socks ?were the women let at the washing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Casey with a couple of good cover tackles

good game this

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mod: No need for that comment.

It origin weekend. Players are wearing the club/school socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Makes me sick Snyman playing so well.casey with 2 great tackles within 2 seconds.great match.

Nankavill always makes metres.hes great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

All players in the league this weekend or last weekend are wearing socks to represent the club(s) and or school that helped develop them into rhe players they are today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

SOB has been a really solid signing, nothing outstanding but never shown up even when out of position

Really is such a shame RG is going to be leaving us. Just an outrageous rugby player to watch with his ball skills. He makes watching these type of league games more enjoyable. I’ll be jealous seeing him in blue next season, admittedly.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Zebre 12 is having a great game

Munster 12 is having a great game

• Advertisement

Casey right eye is almost fully closed!

Casey is fun to watch.

He’s playing like JGP tonight!

really quick to the ruck and to get the ball away.

Quick taps and all.

thats when he plays his best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Haley having an unreal game. Rolls Royce of a player.

Yes and personally I think he is a better bench option for Ireland than Murray. Especially the way Ireland tire teams out with their attack, Casey brings more pace and tempo. Will refer to Farrell’s better judgement though.

He’s earned it Farrell!

thought Murray did well v Wales

Casey isn’t doing enough. Games like this and better kicking selection will help his case.

Confidence also to play his game. Fast and quick. Arís agus arís eile.

Like that! Lovely dink over the defence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

That's bull.

He's trying to control the ball - he hasn't thrown it over the players head. A deliberate throw forward is illegal. Juggling to ball to keep possession is not.

Poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

That's a terrible decision from the ref, even if the ball's goes forward its not a knock on if the player re-gathers it before it touches the ground or another player (which is doesnt). A laughable call really, a pretty basic law that he's decided to ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I've always believed a knock-on had to hit the ground or a player to be considered a knock-on. Every day is a learning day

Advertisement