Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Michael O'Leary called Martin and Ryan dunces yesterday over passenger cap.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Leo and Michael are loving that the Greens and RTE are taking the focus off the massive problems (health, housing, immigration etc).

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭csirl

Should the thread title be changed to:

"Backhurst megaphoning about RTE funding"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Lecter8319

Not that I'm a fan of O'leary but they were lucky he only called them that. I can think of much worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

please,dude...the prefered nomeculture is "gobshites"

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭RoTelly

But they cut in these areas anyway. I don't support subscriptions but the little give to "noncommerical" area of RTÉ is nothing to write home about. Only for RnaG and RTÉ requirement for the service do they spend on Irish Language. But there are little to no Arts programmes on RTÉ, while Documentries come and go (with the exception of Radio I will grant you). TV has very little to offer.

Dr PJ Mathews who's 2nd term decided to resign from the board with just 9 months left in his term. He says its due to work commitments but its funny how for the last 9 years and 3 months he was able to committee to RTÉ's board.

It also sounds like he didn't meet with the minister with the rest of the board.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think you know the reason why not. Not enough people would pay a subscription for public service broadcasting for a subscription based PSB to be viable. An argument for a subscription based psb in Ireland is an argument for no psb in Ireland.

There is genuine value in some elements of PSB. I personally think it is important to have a state news service. Really, that's it. Sport and the arts should be able to wash it's own face.

Lots of talk about reforming the funding model but note no one with power or privilege is talking about deep structural change to RTE. The obvious reform to win trust back is to split it up into several entities that stand by themselves and be let fail if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Damien360

Is there any reason to believe the deep structural changes required can't happen without shaking the other public services which operate on a similar model at corporate level.

When Irish Water was being setup they chose Bord Gáis as the corporate model to copy. Is electric Ireland, IGB, HRI etc operating on a similar model. So now ask yourself, if changes are forced on RTE, would it cause issues legally without forcing changes on the other semi states. Relatively recent news on HRI and IGB board payouts suggests similar structure. IE and BG I don't know.

Structural changes at the service provision level I think we are talking about. What services / content do they provide?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The current model run by RTE is expensive and has failed for some time needing to be being bailed out by taxpayers. It is time to start from scratch, redefine the "public service" remit and cut cloth to measure. It is not going to be pretty in the early stages, there is a demand among Irish people for local content that interests them and it will get better. With a subscription model people can access the content when they need to and it opens up the possibility of adapting a YouTube model for content creators, it opens up new commercial opportunities. The platform is what matters, subscribers will take care of the content and its funding. It has already been suggested that the transmission infrastructure is split off from the company and the content creation parts split further with the orchestra being offloaded somewhere else.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Change is driven in private companies at board level. Public companies are likely the same except for RTE which appears to be a cushy money collection routine for little return. Culture at the board level will flow down to the middle management and so on. The issue in RTE is not the mechanics is provision of service, although it's online content is poor, it's the management culture and it's corporate structure.

If online content is poor its because broadcast content is also poor. I don't think we will see much change in the culture of RTÉ. I don't think staff in RTÉ realize this.

______

Yesterday

If it won't change then it needs shutting down. It's bleeding money out of every conceivable orifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

greens aren’t helping themselves. A car crash party.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

You're bang wrong, they're a clown car crash party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

If making the TV Licence optional would lead to a collapse in revenue to a point that it's no longer viable, then I would see the as a public expression that it isn't needed anymore.

I think a "true, comprehensive public service broadcasting service" has had it's day and isn't needed anymore.

All that's needed is to cover programming that isn't commercially viable but is important to the state from a cultural point of view.

If you're looking for Dancing with the Stars, Friends re-runs or Ireland fittest family then you need to pay for it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If RTE's primary benefit is as a state news service then it fails miserably. Its editorial bias and selective covering of certain issues make it virtually useless in that regard, unless one values it as a mouthpiece for the Government.

Realistically, what does it offer that the newspapers or Virgin don't? The likes of Vincent Browne (until he retired) did a lot more to hold Government to account than RTE ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,431 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

All that's needed is to cover programming that isn't commercially viable but is important to the state from a cultural point of view.

From an old-school Reithian approach to broadcasting, the problem with remodeling RTE as an Irish BBC4, or BBC4 meets CNN, is that a huge chunk of the population would tune out completely, or almost completely, and that undermines the public service mission. Part of the point of the current 'broad church/channel' model, from that perspective, is that people come for the Fair City and stay for the Upfront or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭mountain

The audience for Fair City are hardly interested in current and world affairs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Get rid of one FG and appoint another. Also Paul Ried being tapped up to replace Sùin.

You have to have balance of programming but RTÉ don't really understand this themselves.

Take a viewer interested in DWTS or Ireland's Fittest Family, RTÉ pump millions into both show, this is fair enough because their maybe a return (both from a money perspective but also to bring audiences into other programming) ... however those shows are not balanced with cheaper programming of the same kind. I keep going back to the quiz / game show, neither are expensive to produce but neither are replacing DWTS and Fittest Family nor are they doing daytime quiz programming, which could lead to giving people in the industry experience. You might consider these to be commercial but considering that our commercial TV station doesn't produce this time of programming !!!! But that is also down to competition and how both RTÉ and Virgin Media have have competed across programming (largely competition in the sports sphere).

TV production is expensive even at the cheaper end, I am listening to a podcast with Richard Ormond, I didn't realize he'd been involved in Deal or No Deal, but he said that the average prize pot was 16.5k for the show, where they produced 10 eps a day giving C4 (at the time) 200 episodes for the year. But this is a big money prize programme (ITV are so rich he said that he produced a programme were on the first game the top prize was won, causing huge problems for the producers and another show that failed to get aired even though lots of people won big money from it).

But then you have something like pointless or countdown where the prize money is small or non-existent.

The rest is entertainment https://www.youtube.com/@TheRestIsEntertainment

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

David McWilliams writes RTÉ’s obituary. A bold move by a man who is very media-savvy.

We are witnessing the death throes of RTÉ. I say this with a heavy heart

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2024/03/02/we-are-witnessing-the-death-throes-of-rte-i-say-this-with-a-heavy-heart/

His basic claim is correct - contrary to the JLNR surveys, young people don’t tune in to RTÉ. That’s what David sees with his kids and their friends. It’s what I see. Does anyone else think kids tune in to Fair City or Prime Time or anything else from the national broadcaster?

That is not to say RTÉ will be abolished. Despite the unending series of scandals, it is very unlikely that any Government will put the Zombie out of its misery. At most it will be re-branded like FÁS.

If RTÉ had been abolished 20 years ago, we would have saved about €4 billions in licence fees but what would we have lost?

RTÉ contributed almost nothing to the many Irish artists who have achieved unprecedented levels of global acclaim.I can’t think of anything of value RTÉ produced that couldn’t easily have been supplied a private operator like Virgin Media which can meet the demand for news, current affairs and sports.

Otherwise, nothing of lasting value has emerged from Montrose in recent decades. Instead we get DWTS and Room to Improve. Some people in Montrose are so out of touch that they think the problem with Toy Show The Musical is that it didn’t do credit to Tubridy’s Late Late Show!

Patrick Freyne: The mystery of Dermot Bannon and his many surrogate wives

We've been in the death throws of RTÉ for the last 2 decades, David is just noticing this now! This thread pretty much outlines as much. Do we really need Columnist to point out the bleeding obvious?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 16,431 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Yes we do. It may be stating the obvious here but no one in authority believes it.

Who else in the media has declared RTÉ to be defunct. Who in the Oireachtas?

Until that happens, talking about the demise of RTÉ is just gossip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'd have to agree. All the commentary and politics around RTE has only been about putting the existing organisation on a sound financial footing. No one of influence, including McWilliams here, has actually outlined a plan that calls for a complete restructure of Public Sector Broadcasting.

And that is even though RTE has completely lost the trust of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I know no-one under 30 who would choose to watch or listen to anything from rte unless absolutely forced to. I.e. someone with a kid and they want to see the Toyshow. Then it's under sufferance.

I'm wrong I realise to expect that we could have an rte solely paid for by subscription but I don't see change happening anytime soon.

I also think that nobody at management or board level should have any connections with politicians.

The connections between these people means that all sorts of shenanigans is allowed and acceptable with no reprocussions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,387 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Paul Reid next in line for head RTE job?

Advertisement