Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tusla

Options

Comments

• I didn’t say they shouldn’t take holidays if they can. I simply pointed out that for an organisation that is so understaffed they seem to be very capable of being away on vacations & whatnot on a regular basis in my experience.

In fact I’ve scarcely seen anything like it. The place I work runs a tight ship staff wise and so holidays etc are rather difficult to get.

I just find the contrast interesting 😎

All nurses take their annual leave. Do you imply that they're not understaffed too?

Or gardaí, ambulance crews, or any of the public sector which are public facing and woefully under resourced (until the magic overtime tree appears when an American tourist assault embarrasses the government)

But, yeah. Underpay the social workers, overwork them, under staff their teams, and complain that they take their contracted A/L

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭csirl

A few years ago I had to move one of my daughters to another school at short notice due to unwanred inappropriate attention from a staff member in the school (primary school). Reported it to TUSLA. Response from TUSLA was.....".......sure you solved the problem yourself by moving your child away from the danger....." No investigation, no concern for other children in the school receiving similar unwanted contact. Frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

actually they dont as much as you would think.

there are massive problems with not being able to take leave in AGS and national ambulance service and fire service or any other emergency service including nursing

it is likely that the magic overtime wont be taken up as its the same few who are working the over time and they are already over worked, exhausted and too thinly spread.

so no all public servants don't take leave like tusla staff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The children that beat the American tourist into a coma last week were up in front of the judge to have their bail conditions set.

one of the stipulations was that they’d have a 9pm to 7am curfew.

Up jumps one of the “mammies” immediately anxious to know if her child could still have his “sleepovers”.

Her only comment.

So in Ireland in 50 years we went from kids of 8 being sent to the industrial school for 4 years to be beaten starved and sexually abused by a Christian Brother for stealing apples, to 16 year olds who have tried to murder a man and their mothers objecting to their bail conditions.

This mother is what TUSLA are dealing with. If you all are so clever, you have a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Very good points. In the old days, a clip round the ear got the point home. Now that generates a children first concern. You cannot say boo to the little feckers now and we are reaping what we sow. The days of the gardai wading in and giving someone a slap to make them behave are gone. Now the ombudsman is tieing their hands. A prolific gang of robbers, driving the wrong way down the N7 crashed and were killed, but one of the gardai appeared in court last week. I see in the news yesterday, that little fecker that stabbed the poor girl on the bridge in the centre of Dublin is now appealing. WTF?

We have turned into a bunch of nambypambies, and I do not think there is any way back. Our youth are fecked.

I know many many nurses. They all take leave.

Relatives are EMT, they take leave

Love that you think that social workers have anything more than other staff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

When I was 16 in 1981 the sight of the squad car appearing in Liberty Sq in Thurles after the disco on a Friday night sent everyone scattering home, or out of sight at least. Because if a Garda had cause to get out of the car to “speak” to you, you really would be sorry.

They gave us about 1/2 hour after the national anthem to get chips or have a bit of a snog then they’d appear and that was the end of the night. Happy days.

• If you hit children you do not make them compliant you make them afraid.

When you make them afraid they will become hostile in future. It’s self defence in their brain.

Mothers like the above likely agree that the best way to raise a child is to give them a “clip around the ear” as you put it.

I can guarantee you— children who are abused, neglected or worse are the ones who grow up to behave this way more than the opposite.

tl;dr you’re dead wrong.

• Advertisement

So we agree to disagree then. I got a clip multiple times and it did me no harm and I was not abused. It is is the politically correct lobby who have swallowed the child protection handbook have the issue.

A clip around the ear is not abuse. Abuse is something very different. P.S. I was part of a foster family which used to get calls at 11pm at night seeking emergency help. I have seen abuse. This aint it. How about a female toddler with a cig burn to the face. Or a child that absolutely SCREAMS when their nappy is changed by a fella. Think about that one. Sadly, I saw it.

One of the big problems with TUSLA is its history. Originally their services were delivered by the old health boards. The health sector in Ireland is the weakest part of the public service in terms of basic admin structures.

When TUSLA became a thing in its own right, it degraded even further as it continued to operate this way, but without the wider support of the health boards admin structures. - even weak admin structures are better than none.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jacksie T Malone

There 'children' are the same age those who beat up the tourist last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Are you saying that the place you work makes it difficult for employees to take their legally entitled annual leave? Very interesting.

Hard to view it any other way when you wrote what you did. How are holidays rather difficult to get unless it is the employer making it difficult to take them?

In fact I’ve scarcely seen anything like it. The place I work runs a tight ship staff wise and so holidays etc are rather difficult to get.

• Yeah, as in we all can’t take annual leave together at once.

If I want annual leave next week but so does another person it might not be possible to grant us both the same dates.

I never said for a second we are denied our statutory rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They have the same holiday entitlement as other public sector staff. Dunno what you mean by “on a regular basis”.

• In my experience, as I said, they are very often “on holiday” or “away for a few weeks”.

Not really sure how I can be any clearer here.

As they are entitled to do. I don't know what point you are trying to make?

• Advertisement

Social workers have 29 days annual leave. They’re not “very often” “away for a few weeks” on annual leave.

• I didn’t say it was only annual leave. Look if you disagree with what I’m saying that’s grand mate let’s leave it there then.

but I’m not for a second going to have you tell me what I’ve experienced didn’t happen.

So we will agree to disagree and leave it there, thanks

Please don’t tell me what I’m agreeing with.

You said; “they seem to be very capable of being away on vacations & whatnot on a regular basis”. They have 29 days annual leave.

• As I said I’ve no intention or indeed time to constantly repeat myself. If you are confused I cannot help you.

Well you could explain yourself a bit clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Are kids safe anymore anywhere, I thought rigorously checks for employment in these agencies

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Anymore?

Meaning they were safe at some time in the past?

All checks show is that someone hasn't been caught -yet.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭volchitsa

This is true, but I suspect from my own limited experience (not specifically Tusla, this was in the UK) that there may be a tendency to investigate the "easy" cases so as to have results, while the difficult cases may be pushed to one side because they demand more work and whose outcome may be hard to predict.

This is mainly from a family I used to know where the husband was violent - they were on a register with SWs assigned to follow their case. But here's the thing: the SWs were so afraid of him that they only visited accompanied by the police - and yet there was apparently no question of the children being removed, even though at least one of them had behavioural issues at school. And here's the kicker: the teachers couldn't tell the father about the son's behaviour because the father would beat him to within an inch of his life. So they tried to deal with his behaviour in class without contacting the parents (the mother, of course, could do nothing so there was no point in telling her yet again about his problems).

Everyone knew this, and yet it went on. The only explanation I can find is that there was no neglect, and while the violence was "contained", ie invisible to the outside world, it was deemed easier to "manage" the situation mainly by not annoying the father.

(He wasn't a mafia guy or anything like that, at least not as far as I know. Just a violent man that nobody really wanted to get involved with.)

I don't think those SWs were doing nothing, so I presume they removed the easy cases - mainly single mothers who were overwhelmed and therefore neglecting their kids, and of course who wouldn't/couldn't fight back - and also investigated the hell out of any middle class families who came to their attention to prove how inclusive and egalitarian they were. And also because they weren't afraid of them.

As I say, this wasn't even TUSLA, just a phenomenon that I expect happens with them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Why would you report it to TUSLA? you would report that to the Gardai and to the principal of the school/board of education.

• Advertisement

I did. File was sent to DPP. Staff member then played the mental health card to avoid prosecution. Took a 'career break', but after everything died down, they had a miracle recovery and returned to work.

School management were worse than Tusla. Didnt even suspend the staff member even after Gardai advised them that they should while the investigation was ongoing.

Advertisement