Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

Sounds normal, around 9% per day is what to expect.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Completely normal.

Ignore the range drop as that can happen with cold batter too. What % did you loose?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Perfectly normal. and most of us are happy to lose a few % per day for peace of mind.

You can turn off camera based detection and it will save a load of battery... this means Sentry will only record actual threats like if someone bumps off the car etc... and not just if someone walks past the car... However with camera based detection off, it's obviously not as sensitive, so could potentially miss something.

Also, set the range to % and not km's and live hassle free..... (trust me)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Joni Mitchell

thanks AndyBoBandy, how do i turn off camera based detection?

why is % better than KMs when looking at range, I like seeing the actual range???

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭antfin

% is factual. Range is, at best, an estimate and can vary wildly. You could start out with 300km range displayed, drive 200km and have 10km left.

• Advertisement

In security settings under Sentry there is an option for camera based detection - toggle it off.

why is % better than KMs when looking at range

Exactly what @antfin said.

On your phone battery does it display % or does it display how many hours usage you might have remaining (with that usage figure being extremely variable based on what sort of apps you are using and how battery intensive they are).

or, in an ICE car, did you go by the remaining range indicated, or go by the fuel gauge? (I'm grand, I've still a half(50%)/quarter(25%) a tank left etc...). Me personally, I was only ever interested in the range in km remaining in my ICE when I'd seen the full gauge was down below 25%...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The range displayed is not what you will achieve.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

*unless it's high Summer

The range is EPA rated range based on your available battery capacity, better off to look at % and you will get used to it in no time

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Much easier to use%. You will soon get an idea of actual range on your style of driving, temperature etc. I work on 3 or 4 km/% most of the time but sometimes more in summer on slow roads.

If you put your destination into the nav, then you will be given a fairly accurate estimate of your arrival %.

super, thanks all for your help, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭JOL1

Yes this is normal. Sentry is a great security device but does consume energy as car is constantly alert. A lot of people have Sentry set to automatically not run when car is at home and to be active elsewhere...a reasonable compromise. You can also add your work as a location to disable Sentry automatically. Other than that the choice is yours to run the feature off and take additional risk or leave it on and it will consume energy. Its as simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

There's an update on the way that promises to shave up to 40% off the battery consumption currently used by Sentry

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-sentry-mode-improvements-efficiency-battery-drain/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Hi Andy am I reading that right that camera based detection will record say if someone walks by the car it will activate a recording ?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Yes, it records when someone/something is very close to the car, like within a foot, or two.

I wouldn't disable camera based detection, as you may well not have footage if someone dings your door, or keys your car, because Sentry won't activate in most of those circumstances unless camera is on.

When I park at a busy location, on my return, I do a quick sweep of the car to see if there is any damage. Takes seconds and gives me peace of mind to ignore dozens of sentry events when I sit in the car.

Stay Free

Thanks. I will definitely have this enabled. Cool feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

CC and AP stopped working again today on my way home. Auto wipers also don't work, as well as the indicators not cancelling after a lane change. Another thing is the road lines don't show on the display and other vehicles show on display. Basically the camera system is not functional when this error occurs which has me doubting that some of the emergency safety features would work when in this state. I've submitted a service request with photos and times it happened, including last Friday. Hopefully they resolve that bug quickly.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭wassie

I was away overseas just before new year and had the car in the Airport carpark. After a couple of days I was concerned about having battery when I got back so turned of Sentry.

Arrived back at the airport to find this. Still sorting out with insurance and no CCTV footage....😡

Hi Folks,

Wassie - sorry to see your car was damaged at the airport, hope you get it sorted.

I read on Tesla website that the alarm needs to be activated, I went into the computer on the car into safety and I can't see it, is this just for American models or something, mine is a 221 model?

Also I see on my phone app under security that there is a pin to be activated, I read something about this also, do I need to do this?

You can activate it in the car or via the app.... think it's under security settings in the car..

Also, just to be aware, if you have Sentry Mode on, when the battery reached 20% it will turn off Sentry Mode to preserve battery (so Sentry cannot be used if car is under 20% SOC)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭JOL1

i Am presuming your questions is about Sentry the feature which triggers the car to start recording when it detects a threat. It is a question of either turning this feature on or off depending on your preference accepting rhat has already been said about consuming additional battery power.

The option to set a PIN is entirely different and nothing related to Sentry abd(or) cameras. If set It merely means that when you enter the car you can not drive without entering a PIN number ..an additional feature that may give you more comfort from a security perspective or may also be considered an inconvenience..you chose!

The Tesla user manual is excellent and has most answers that you need about all the features and also has excellent search functionality.

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_ie/GUID-94B0E05E-F642-4C8E-8FED-E5EB45FA27DA.html

• Advertisement

...and the manual is also available in the car touch screen and updates when menus change/amended features etc

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Luna84

Sorry to see you have to wonder how these people got their licence(that is if it was an accident). We have mirrors and most cars have sensors and some even have camera's. Never mind those new features a mirror is enough to see a car behind you when you are pulling into a parking spot or leaving.

Could have got their licence 60yrs ago

Got is probably the correct word. Didn’t the government grant licences about 40 years or more ago due to a lack of testing?

Yes a couple of thousand i remember reading that think it was the 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

It was 1979 and 45,000. So 45 years ago and anyone who availed of the offer at the time would be at least 65 years old now. Many would no longer be driving or have moved on to the next level.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/r25pj5/til_ireland_in_1979_they_just_handed_out_driving/

I think it's much more likely to be just a regular licensed a**hole who did it. A rear door ding by a child might be unnoticed by a driver, but I think whoever did that knew they did it.

Post edited by josip on

There are many drivers in my rural area who never took a test. And they aren’t that old. But the ones I know probably wouldn’t drive past our local Tesco

But as you say was probably just a regular asshole..

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

my father is one of those, still brags about it lol. does 30k a year, never been in an accident.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah, I know one who paid the tester to pass in a rural area where it would be relatively easy to pass decades ago. Bizarrely he used to brag about it like it was an achievement until a young female (recently passed) driver pointed out that it was a pity he didn't have the skills to pass. Never mentioned it after that and he'd pride himself on being an excellent driver (he's not).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭creedp

Heart overruled the head and bought a 21 M3P. Fantastic car to drive and you're correct impossible to drive efficiently but what the hell. My concern over it being overly harsh on poor roads hasn't materialised. Granted its a bit more than an 18" wheeled car but doesn't in any way spoil the drive.

Only issue is that its so easy to kerb it and as I'm the kind of person who previously judged the location of kerb with the tyre wall I'm going to have to recalibrate quickly! BTW any suggestions for a DIY touch up method for minor scratches on the 20" wheels?

Advertisement