Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

I can't think of a situation where it would have came up in case law. The term durable relationship is EU law only refers to situations where an EU citizen wnats their non-EU partner to come live with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Thanks for posting that. It was interesting to read from a thought process point of view.

However, it seemed extremely watery to me very aspirational in tone "part of a journey not a destination", and McAleese seemed to have extrapolated from very little, yet managing to find a lot of hope.

"I hope between us we not only will change the wording but will then stay with the issues that have been raised"

"Far from being a final step I see this as the latest step of many on the road to the “farther shore” of full equality"

--

She did not examine one single potential negative of any of the proposed changes. McAleese instead merely talked up the new options given and implied that this is just the beginning towards "full equality".

McAleese did not state one single issue she would have preferred to have changed either in this referendum or future referendum's. And what did she mean by "full equality"?

Is "full equality" not already here????

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

All legislation does have to be compatible with the constitution, doesn't mean it is though.

I'm sorry but I don't get what you mean there.

Also, leaving it to legislation means that the government of the day can do whatever they want. That provides no Constitutional protection for anyone.

But that is exactly what is happening with this proposed amendment. The government have already said that it will be up to the courts to define.

No one on the No side can explain why a mother and her 5 year child who have been living together sinc birth isn't an example of a durable relationship either. Can you?

No I can't because the government have not defined what a durable relationship is in regards to the proposed amendment. Can you explain when a durable relationship starts? I would say it is instantaneous if it is to include a parent/child relationship.

An extreme example but let's say that same mother had been living first with a partner for two years, split up and both lived with a different partner for another two years, split up and both are now living with a new different partner then are they all durable relationships? Does that child have three possible families? There is no defined time limit and I'm sure each relationship was entered into with the intention that it would be "durable".

I haven't seen anyone claim it will have a legal effect. However, it will provide Constitutional protection for them.

Of course it will have a legal effective as all family legislation at present is based on marriage. No one on the Yes side can explain what Constitutional protection it will provide. Can you?

Total inconsistency

"It definitely will include x"

"It definitely will include x"

The arguments for no on the family referendum are a joke

I would really appreciate if you could provide a link where someone has described a definite outcome from the family referendum. As far as I can tell neither the Yes or the No side have been able to come up with anything absolute.

I'm sorry but I don't get what you mean there

It's up to the Supreme Court to determine if something is compatible with the Constitution, not the government. Just because the government bring in legislation does not mean it is compatible with the constitution.

But that is exactly what is happening with this proposed amendment. The government have already said that it will be up to the courts to define

No it isn't. The Courts are not the Government.

No I can't because the government have not defined what a durable relationship is in regards to the proposed amendment. Can you explain when a durable relationship starts? I would say it is instantaneous if it is to include a parent/child relationship

I don't think there should be a specific start point. I believe it should be judged on a case by case basis by the courts, like they do with many family issues that go before the courts currently. For example, a father has an 15 year old daughter but he has never met her. You would consider that father and daughter as a family? I wouldn't, personally.

An extreme example but let's say that same mother had been living first with a partner for two years, split up and both lived with a different partner for another two years, split up and both are now living with a new different partner then are they all durable relationships? Does that child have three possible families? There is no defined time limit and I'm sure each relationship was entered into with the intention that it would be "durable

I don't think many people would consider something that broke or doesn't exist after two years as being durable tbh. But I would be genuinely fascistned to hear how you would argue they are a durable relationship in front of the Supreme Court. Or would you say something along the line so "There's no definition of durable relationship, so no one can say they aren't durable relationships."?

Of course it will have a legal effective as all family legislation at present is based on marriage. No one on the Yes side can explain what Constitutional protection it will provide. Can you?

Explain then, what legal effect will it for a single parent and their child? It will provide the constitutionional protection for them to be viewed as a family, like people who are married are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 CoastalCork

The government have made a complete Horlix of the wording causing mass confusion .The referendum information leaflet is a complete waste of time to read .

So,As Ben Dunne said if you don't know vote No.

We can always take a go at new wording in a year or two and vote again......I was Yes /Yes a month ago but firmly NO/NO now.

It's up to the Supreme Court to determine if something is compatible with the Constitution, not the government. Just because the government bring in legislation does not mean it is compatible with the constitution.

Yes that's correct. But the legislation is checked for it's compatibility and can be referred to the Supreme Court by the President or, if it manages to get through, by a citizen bringing a challenge to the Supreme Court. I suspect we are saying the same thing here.

No it isn't. The Courts are not the Government

Again you have me confused. When asked by several TD's in the Dail during the discussion O'Gorman said that it will be up to the courts to define. I'll have a look for a link and post it.

I don't think there should be a specific start point. I believe it should be judged on a case by case basis by the courts, like they do with many family issues that go before the courts currently. For example, a father has an 15 year old daughter but he has never met her. You would consider that father and daughter as a family? I wouldn't, personally.

Are you saying that a durable relationship will not be equal to a marriage under the Constitution? As it stands at the moment as soon as a couple sign the marriage register they are a family. Once a Constitutional Family is no longer defined as being solely founded on marriage but also on durable relationships they have to have equal status therefore a durable relationship has to have a similar start point.

For example, a father has an 15 year old daughter but he has never met her. You would consider that father and daughter as a family? I wouldn't, personally.

I also wouldn't but if he was married to her mother when she was born he is her automatic legal guardian and she has all the family rights such as succession, inheritance etc as if she had seen him every day. If they were unmarried and the parents relationship was very short (as far as I know) he would have no guardianship rights and she would have no family rights.

I don't think many people would consider something that broke or doesn't exist after two years as being durable tbh.

I agree most people woudn't but you could say the same about 6 months, two and a half years, three years etc. It has not been defined.

But I would be genuinely fascistned to hear how you would argue they are a durable relationship in front of the Supreme Court. Or would you say something along the line so "There's no definition of durable relationship, so no one can say they aren't durable relationships."?

I wouldn't in a million years attempt to argue anything in either support of or defence of the definition of a durable relationship because I think it's ridiculous terminology and does not belong in the Constitution.

Explain then, what legal effect will it for a single parent and their child? It will provide the constitutionional protection for them to be viewed as a family, like people who are married are.

I have no idea! That is why I am asking for someone who supports the wording to explain it. What do you mean by "to be viewed as a family"? I certainly can't tell by looking at a family whether the parents are married or not. If you mean to be viewed in law as a family then can you explain what will change if the amendment passes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

In yesterdays paper Ellen Coyne makes some good for the Irish Independent: ‘Irish feminism has such a fine legacy of fighting the establishment we didn’t notice when it actually started to become the establishment

Noticeable excerpts from her article:

"The biggest feminist NGO in the country, the National Women’s Council of Ireland, has been leading the Yes-Yes campaign. Which is also the Government’s campaign. In my view, the decision of the NWCI to back a Yes in the care referendum was a victory of career feminism over carers feminism.

"Two human rights bodies — the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission and the Free Legal Advice Centre — have both made it quite clear that the care referendum will not create any new rights for anyone. And many disabled people and their families, who do not have the resources to run a national campaign, have been issuing dire warnings about the fact they believe the care referendum will actually diminish their rights.

"But the NWCI, the feminists and the opposition parties chose to back a Yes anyway, because gestures and symbolism were more important."

Again you have me confused. When asked by several TD's in the Dail during the discussion O'Gorman said that it will be up to the courts to define. I'll have a look for a link and post it

The courts will determine the definition of durable relationship. In your proposal the government would have defined it. So there would be nothing stopping the government, either a current or any future one, saying family is only based on marraige.

Are you saying that a durable relationship will not be equal to a marriage under the Constitution? As it stands at the moment as soon as a couple sign the marriage register they are a family. Once a Constitutional Family is no longer defined as being solely founded on marriage but also on durable relationships they have to have equal status therefore a durable relationship has to have a similar start point.

In what sense do you mean equal to a marraige? For example a durable relationship between a mother and daughter is not going to be considered a marraige. Recently the Supreme Court said an unmarried couple were basically the same as a married couple so that will be the case going forward when it comes to the windows pension.

I also wouldn't but if he was married to her mother when she was born he is her automatic legal guardian and she has all the family rights such as succession, inheritance etc as if she had seen him every day. If they were unmarried and the parents relationship was very short (as far as I know) he would have no guardianship rights and she would have no family rights.

When you say "she" I assume you mean the child? AFAIK, a child will always be legally entitled to inheritance even if there was no relationship between her snd he father and the child's mother and father never married.

I agree most people woudn't but you could say the same about 6 months, two and a half years, three years etc. It has not been defined

But you are also implying that those durable relationships are permenant even when they are finizhed. How is that possible? Surely that must null and void the whole "durable aspect".

I wouldn't in a million years attempt to argue anything in either support of or defence of the definition of a durable relationship because I think it's ridiculous terminology and does not belong in the Constitution.

I cant see you getting very far with that argument.

I have no idea! That is why I am asking for someone who supports the wording to explain it. What do you mean by "to be viewed as a family"? I certainly can't tell by looking at a family whether the parents are married or not. If you mean to be viewed in law as a family then can you explain what will change if the amendment passes?

You know it will have an effect but you have no idea what that is going to be? Come on, that doesn't make a huge amount of sense. Also, what exactly is "family legilsation"? I've already said nothing will change as things currently stand for a single parent and their child, it is a symbol referendum in that regard. But it will provide that single parent and children recognisition in the Constitution going forward, which would reduce any governments ability to erode their rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mick Regan

Seeing the debate here I'm even more convinced that what we're being invited to vote on is simply not clear enough, especially regarding the undefined meaning of the term 'durable relationship'. On that particular point I find myself unable to make an informed decision that I can feel confident in. Much of the information coming from a political direction seems to be very wishy-washy, with public representatives making aspirational yet unconvincing claims as to what it's all about.

It seems a court (judge) at some future point will establish precedents founded on his/her/their interpretation at the time, and based on some individual case, which whilst possibly beneficial and just for the individual(s) involved, may not necessarily be good for society as a whole.

I'm in the no / haven't yet decided camp, and am more likely to go no/no as I expect better from our political representatives when asked to vote on such matters. And especially so when it's to be baked into the constitution.

• Advertisement

When you think about it that is the thing about marriage you are either married or you are not. It is definitive and finite. Much easier to define in law.

If this "durable relationships" phrase is passed the legislators will be worn out, anything that has marriage in it will have questions from those who want "durable relationships" given some form of parity.

--

I am just laughing at the scenes if men started asking women for "durable relationships" instead of marriage they would want to get ready to duck. It would save on the ring though.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Also, leaving it to legislation means that the government of the day can do whatever they want. That provides no Constitutional protection for anyone.

But that is exactly what is happening with this proposed amendment. The government have already said that it will be up to the courts to define.

Spot on. Which for me is a massive alarm bell. I am not prepared to vote yes and put the taxpayer on the hook for a parade of circuses in the form of court cases to establish precedent. A sizable proportion of the Irish legal eagles are already exorbitantly wealthy - I don't think they need any more feathers for their nest in solving this clusterfcuk of legislation.

On top of that, if we insert the pure skower term of 'durable relationships' into the constitution, then it's a field day for IPAs from countries who want to bring their forty wives, grandparents, etc... to these shores.

These referendums need to be voted out as a matter of national sovereignty and to free up these expensive legal eagles to do their actual damn job. Enough of the farting around, there's a country to be run for the Irish citizenry - do the job of running it and stop listening to idiots on social media for brainfart ideas such as this impending vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭minimary

Another example that nobody seems to have a clue what they're talking about, apparently now durable relationships won't be akin to marriage and also Varadkar seems to be implying that it should be based on the 2010 legislation about cohabitation when the way the courts have interpreted durable relationships in the EU context doesn't have any kind of duration at all. I don't care how many meetings they had on this wording, the only ones that count are the ones they had in public especially because they refused under FOI to release details of those meetings. Its a mess

"“There’s no perfect language and we spent years and endless meetings trying to figure out what the best wording is,” Mr Varadkar said on Virgin Media’s The Six O’Clock Show.

“So the relationship that exists between a child and their mother or father when they’re born, that’s the one-parent family – that’s pretty immediate, it’s committed, it’s caring, it’s long lasting.

“For people who are co-habiting it’s a bit more complicated, but we’ve actually set that out in a law back in 2010 already, and that says that somebody is co-habiting if they’re together for more than five years, or two years if there’s a child involved.

“But what (the wording) doesn’t say is that durable relationships are the same as marriage. Marriage will still have a special value or special protection, but you can have a family that’s based on durable relationships.

“Now, that doesn’t mean that every durable relationship is a family… it’s not just a durable relationship on its own. It still has to be a social unit and operate on that basis.”"

It sounds like they tried to be too clever and tied themselves in knots. Jayus, even the phrase "long term cohabiting relationships" would have been clearer than that.

Still problematic though, because no matter phrase used will always be judged against the standard of "marriage".

If they left it as is like this (the status quo):

Article 41.1.1° “The State recognises the Family as the natural primary and fundamental unit group of Society, and as a moral institution possessing inalienable and imprescriptible rights, antecedent and superior to all positive law.”

Article 41.3.1° “The State pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of Marriage, on which the Family is founded, and to protect it against attack

OR

Got rid of reference to marriage altogether

Article 41.1.1° “The State recognises the Family, founded on durable relationships, as the natural primary and fundamental unit group of Society, and as a moral institution possessing inalienable and imprescriptible rights, antecedent and superior to all positive law.”

They could have completely removed all reference to marriage by deleting 41.3.1° completely instead

The State pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of Marriage, on which the Family is founded, and to protect it against attack.”

They would have been far better off I think. At least it stops the pretence of caring about the institution of marriage.

To me the proposed changes makes a complete sham of the previous marriage referendum which passed, in my opinion.

Because it has negated the importance of getting married as a part of family unit in the first place. As durable relationships would have done not even over "civil partnerships" but marriage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Leo has really made this as clear as mud:

“Now, that doesn’t mean that every durable relationship is a family… it’s not just a durable relationship on its own. It still has to be a social unit and operate on that basis.”

I thought that's why other durable relationships was in the proposed wording - to give family status and recognition to those units not based on marriage. Now Leo saying that only some will be 'family units' but others will not. What does he mean, only couples, children? What about the grandparents and other examples I heard about from the yes side?

It's baffling, reminds me of Rumsfeld's "There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know".

At this stage, does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

By putting Maria Steen front and centre the IT knows it will encourage less people to vote no. This was intentional, because if they had used Michael McNamara instead they know less people would vote yes.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

REFERENDUM on GENDER EQUALITY

Surely gender equality is already here! so why have a country wide referendum on something, just to tweak the wording?

All seems a bit suspect to me, so I'm voting NO because I'm not convinced.

I made an error in my last post the last part should have asked would they have been better off removing marriage in it’s entirety to avoid any potential comparison with “durable relationships”?

-

They could have completely removed all reference to marriage by deleting 41.3.1° completely instead

The State pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of Marriage, on which the Family is founded, and to protect it against attack.”

They would have been far better off I think. At least it stops the pretence of caring about the institution of marriage.

And also removal of reference to marriage in A41.1.1

No confusion then everyone would have “durable relationships”

-

Either that or leave as is with no mention of durable relationships - only marriage.

One way or the other way in other words instead it has fallen between two stools which will lead to inevitable comparisons in the courts between “durable relationships” and “marriage” completely backfired.

As marriage is a defined contractual bond, durable relationships are not defined nor contractual of itself.

-

If we vote yes in this family referendum instead of inclusiveness it will create divisions in society “marriage” v “durable relationships” competing with each other in definition and hierarchy.

• Advertisement

—-

deleted

—/

Given international women’s day is coming up, when the referendum is held.

It makes me think of a phrase my mother is fond of using when something is “half done/half assed”

“It is neither done nor left alone”

-

That is what we will be left with if there is a Yes in the family referendum.

The Care Referendum is fundamentally meaningless as it is just an implied rewording of ‘women in the home’ who invariably provide care within it.

Why would anyone who is married vote for removing their Constitutional protection? Whats the benefit?

There are already divisions before of the Constitutions wording. Single parents and their kids aren't a family, unmarried parents aren't a family wheres people who are married are a family. That's hardly an inclusive situation.

Because if married people really believed that “durable relationships” suffice. Society would be happier that all families are founded on the same footing. “Durable relationships”

The protection of marriage as the foundation of the family is not being suggested to be removed for no reason in the new A41.3.1

Clearly the “intent” of those who drafted the proposed referendum is to remove that the constitutional societal hierarchy of marriage. By removing the part where marriage is the foundation on which the family stands.

On your point on single parents and children. There is nothing stopping the courts in interpreting the “familial relationship” as a “durable” oon a case by case basis/seminal case.. Even though that might not have been the original intent.

I can envisage fun and games in case law where a judge has to decide on the custody of young children.

Couple A split up (both stable individuals - both working well off) they divorce in conflict - leaving very young kids

One of couple A remarries forming married family D

Meanwhile the other is in a “durable relationship” of 1 year forming family E.

Who gets custody of the children?

Remember the protection the important role of the mother had in constitution would be removed. The role a mother does for the family and common good could no longer be leaned on in a decision.

In my view marriage should either be left re-enforced as the foundation of the family - in other words leave it alone.

Or the alternative would be to delete all reference of marriage from A41. Because if “durable relationships” are given similar equivalence to marriage. What is the point of marriage it is not needed constitutionally for the definitive of a family? And now an alternative is given instead - “durable relationships”.

-

The courts will determine the definition of durable relationship. In your proposal the government would have defined it. So there would be nothing stopping the government, either a current or any future one, saying family is only based on marraige.

Exactly it is being left to the courts to define. In my proposal the term "durable relationship" would not exist.

In what sense do you mean equal to a marraige? For example a durable relationship between a mother and daughter is not going to be considered a marraige. Recently the Supreme Court said an unmarried couple were basically the same as a married couple so that will be the case going forward when it comes to the windows pension.

Equal in law e.g. tax allowances, PRSI benefit sharing etc. The O'Meara widowers challenge you refer to is a perfect example of the sharing of accrued PRSI payments. The case was won on the children's rights to equal treatment despite their parents not being married....another reason for the non necessity of inserting the undefinable durable relationship phrase into the Constitution.

When you say "she" I assume you mean the child? AFAIK, a child will always be legally entitled to inheritance even if there was no relationship between her snd he father and the child's mother and father never married

Oh OK. I assumed it was only if the unmarried father was either on the birth cert or had signed a statutory declaration that he was the father.

But you are also implying that those durable relationships are permenant even when they are finizhed. How is that possible? Surely that must null and void the whole "durable aspect".

Who knows? As I keep saying, there is no definition of what constitutes a durable relationship so a time scale can only be guessed at.

I cant see you getting very far with that argument.

Indeed! Which is why I said I wouldn't attempt to support or defend it.

You know it will have an effect but you have no idea what that is going to be? Come on, that doesn't make a huge amount of sense.

Nobody knows what effect it is going to have - that's the problem.

Also, what exactly is "family legilsation"?

Law relating to the family e.g. divorce, maintenance, child care responsibilities etc.

I've already said nothing will change as things currently stand for a single parent and their child, it is a symbol referendum in that regard. But it will provide that single parent and children recognisition in the Constitution going forward, which would reduce any governments ability to erode their rights.

What rights do you foresee potentially being eroded?

That reminds me of something I read about one of the women who set up Cherish (unmarried women's support group) in the 70's. She said she attended a meeting in South Dublin (Dalkey?) of the Irish women's liberation movement in which they were discussing progressing the rights of unmarried mothers.

What she found was the group consisted of middle class fairly academic women who were proposing to make unmarried mothers appear respectable which meant, for example, having to be in a relationship over two years. She decided they did not represent the reality for the majority of unmarried mothers and decided to set up Cherish which eventually morphed into One Parent Ireland.

Another interesting point is that ex President Mary Robinson was an early member of Cherish and also they used Article 41.2 when lobbying the government for the need for social welfare payments to be available for deserted wive and unmarried mothers. Both allowances were successfully introduced in the early 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mick ah

That's not clarity. That's an opinion.

To present it as anything else is disingenuous.

The courts will decide what a "durable relationship" is, IF this referendum passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭DaithiMa

All the serious issues that are currently going on in this country and the government have us voting on this crap. A clown show.

The most pointless and unnecessary referendum of all time, will be 'no no' from me simply as a protest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Also heard some interesting commentary on radio earlier from I believe an IT journo. To effect that when discussing polling intentions, there was a strong correlation between those who said they were well informed on the upcoming votes and those who intended to vote No.

That should surely give you pause for thought.

Advertisement