Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I see Suir engineering has become the main sponsor of Waterford GAA. I know they sponsored at least one new sign in Nowlan park, which is very welcome but did our county board drop the ball again like they did with the electronic scoreboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I havent been at a Kierans game since last year's AI final. I've watched about 10 matches in Leinster and Munster this year on Clubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Their is no point bigging up schools hurling like many do on this page. Alot of young lads go into kierans for an easy medal, get hyped up by posters such as Alonzo on this page and in the local paper but when it comes to the real thing at underage, they consistently fail to produce as evident by our underage record over the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Wouldn't think Waterford hit the jackpot with Suir engineering more it was a last resort.As regards the electronic score board what was missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Kierans hurling well. Hunt and Glynn inside have the full back line in a world of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

From what I heard, UMPC offered Kilkenny GAA the large TV screen scoreboard which is now in Semple Stadium. KK GAA countyboard in their wisdom refused it and Tipp gained. Tipp GAA apparently have companies lining up all the way over the railway bridge 😉 trying to get a slot on it. It would have cost money to put the steelwork in place but it's a hugely valuable piece of kit which our wonderful county board in their wisdom didn't act on it, to secure it for Nowlan Park🤦‍♂️. No doubt the county board were worried about offending our current scoreboard sponsor or some such🤷

Kierans going well so far but it looks like they'll be hurling into the wind in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Neewollah

Anyone have the starting Kierans team?

Fair play Kierans, they looked comfortable the whole way through that. Loughrea scored the last 4 points to beat Nenagh by a point in the other semi final.

Not 100% sure of team but I think it was

Manogue

Bergin

Brennan

Kelly

Hickey

Neary

McPhillips

Roche

Lauhoff

Deely

Connellan (not sure on this one)

McEvoy

McDermott (Hughes replaced him in the first half. His knee was well strapped up from the start)

Glynn

Hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 13 black and amber rock

Was watching the kierans game, the best coached kilkenny team I've seen in a while. Excellent puckouts, use the ball very smart and it will take a very good team to beat them in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

My exact thoughts on watching it too. Their work rate was immense too and backed up each other throughout. Neither Harty Cup finalists managed to get any further with Nenagh losing out after St Raphaels scored the last four points to win by one. And the ref played 6+ minutes added time. Nenagh will be disgusted.

Post edited by Grats on

Spot on. Why isn’t there people sacked over these boo boos. We are afraid of losing sponsors instead of sponsors afraid of losing us.it just isn’t good enough. Congratulations to st Kieran’s were loughrea ever in a final before.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Neewollah

St Raphaels Loughrea has been in 4 or 5 off the top of my head I'd say. Have memories of Kierans beating beat in 2002 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Give it a rest, Kierans were excellent today, well coached and playing a lovely brand of hurling.

Schools hurling is a waste of time? FFS What planet are you on?

I have no idea how many (if any) of the Kieran's players today wull go on to be good senior intercounty players, but I do know what we witnessed today (and versus the CBS) was top quality hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Please quote where I said schools hurling is a waste of time.

It's a far lower level than intercounty hurling. I said consistently over the last decade players from kierans are made out to be potential superstars by posters like yourself on here. Straight after every kierans match you are straight on. The last match it was about Neary and how he should be on the Kilkenny senior team next year. It is easy look good on a stacked team. Yet these same players don't really shine at underage level for Kilkenny. Most of today's team was on the last two Kilkenny minor teams who weren't great, one of them knocked by laois in the leinster championship and last year's team was way behind both Galway and Clare.

So no need for posters to get carried away by schools hurling. The real test for young players is intercounty level and our success at this level has been limited for a long time. But you can't see that I'm afraid and will continue to overhype young players from your school.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Ha

Great credit to St Kierans for that display today against a much fancied ASR team. The other Harty Cup team also lost out in the dying minutes. I'd imagine Nenagh will be disgusted with so much added time.

In the last number of years most county minor teams have played second fiddle to Galway. In fact Kilkenny managed to reach minor finals/semis only to lose out to Galway - other counties faired no better during those years. Its's encouraging to see the St Kierans players, many former Kilkenny minors, develop and turn the tables on the ASR team loaded with Clare all Ireland winning players.

Referring back to Galway's minor successes - they haven't managed to win at Under 20 level. Perhaps there's a lot to be said for going easy on young players and allow them to develop.

Delighted for those Kierans players and the way they played today. Massive work rate.

Post edited by Grats on

Jesse Owen’s on Sunday ffs,even Hitler wouldn’t shake hands with him. He certainly increases the odds of us getting out alive out of Ennis. Although he also done Clare in the Gaelic grounds if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

With championship only a few weeks away and potentially only two matches left we would want to see a settled team taking shape.Id expect the tempo to pick up for the last two games. Most of the munster teams might be happy enough to avoid getting to a league final. Limerick wobbled in munster last year after the league final.

Going into the league and after last years final defeat management had homework to do and so far i wouldnt be overly pleased. Yes we are on top of the table after 3 rounds but some positions obviously needs strengthening or at least lads tried but that hasnt happened yet.

We need a corner back tried and Mikey butler clearly hasnt being himself so all the more reason to try rowe or fogarty or someone corner back.Against offally it was carnage. We havent found a number 6. Midfield is still being chopped and changed and no consistency. Adrian mullen has being outstanding and without him we wouldnt be top of the table.We have no new fowards putting their hand up, yet anyway.Lyng going for buckley and fogarty against wexford and wally against offally backs up this theory.its a concern that we arent bringing through fowards particularly. Mullen looks like he might take over from tj as our leader but who will take mullens place thats the worry.

We have always struggled in Ennis.we will probably see lawlor and deegan back this weekend. Id expect a much better performance.id like to see Corcoran getting a run at midfield.shane murphy has done well. A few fowards need a big performance.They havent being helped with some of the ball going in but they have being poor.

The match is live on tg4

Post edited by brookville on

Do people really think Corcoran is athletic enough for midfield? Made a couple of driving runs in the second half against Offaly and all of a sudden he's the answer? He was moved out of 6 after 20 mins because he wasn't mobile enough. He's a wing back. Can't have him as a midfielder at all.

And people are panicking over Mikey? Least of our worries, he'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jamesbond2022

He’s great going forward imo but very slow and ponderous once turned or chasing back wherever he’s played

There’s plenty of improvement needed in his striking speed and change of direction type movement

Hes a very rough diamond that needs plenty of polishing

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I think the problem Corcoran has at 6 is that he tends to follow his marker out the pitch and into midfield and was leaving an ocean of space in front of our full back line, I wouldn't be worried about his athleticism I think he could do a good job at midfield, I think he could be a good foil for Kenny ad hopefully both might get a run on Sunday. I'm surprised we haven't given Blanchfield a run at centre back he seems to be our best bet with what we have on the panel. I'd agree with you on Mikey Butler, don't see what all the worry is about him.

I doubt anybody is writing off Mikey Butler but he's clearly struggling for a while now at both club and county level. He supposedly had a leg injury which may be restricting him still. Fingers crossed for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Comerman

Thanks Greenspurs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,869 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

When you follow the link to download it on Android it just downloads the club 360 and then asks you to enter your URL. I don't have a URL so I have no idea what the story is. Hopefully they iron that out, would be nice to have results and news through it, the kkgaa website has always been a pain in the arse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

When you click on home-name you should see Kilkenny Cats underneath. Click on that and then click on Next to register.

I’m just going to go on a mad rant for a few minutes bear with me. Everyone on the site here does be giving out about the players at times but from what I’m hearing recently the facilities are terrible with pitches not being playable and the team sometimes have to go outside the county to train. Now if this is the case it is totally unacceptable. We need to start purchasing land now, we need about a hundred acres and develop it into the finest training facility in the country. We need to have about 10 pitches, 2 all weather with floodlights ,2 other pitches with floodlights, a state of the art gym meeting rooms, dressing rooms and dining facilities and also a stand for spectators which could eventually become a second county ground. The Dunmore training centre could be handed over to the camogie and ladies football associations which as we know is going to be amalgamated in the near future anyway. Now mad rant over for now. People will now come on and say it’s an outrageous suggestion but you have to have a vision and it is certainly not beyond us if the powers that be stop shooting themselves in the foot as I have mentioned at the top of the page on this forum there are a good few sponsors looking to come on board but are being turned down because they don’t want to offend existing sponsors, I say bring them all in include everyone. We were forever doing things piecemeal which served its purpose years ago but it doesn’t now. I would also seriously think about building a dome and get in there before someone else does. The county board has being dragging its feet way too long. I would like people to comment on the scoreboard debacle.

We're playing catch up but we'll have to bear with it and see what Phil Hogan achieves. I'd be surprised and disappointed if he takes any nonsense from the County Board. He's achieved a lot so far, so I'm prepared to give him time.

By the way, pitches all over the country are unplayable, not just in Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

I agree with you completely grats and by all accounts Phil Hogan is doing great work. The county board need to listen.if and when this happens it has to be state of the art no second best to save money. Just about the pitches Dunmore should be up to scratch no excuses

Advertisement