Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'd say the City lawyers are sitting back with cigars laughing at the Everton fiasco. If the PL can make such a **** up over that Everton charge there isn't a hope in hell of getting anywhere near City with the complexties those charges bring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Fulham Tiktok admin posted this after the United game. A reporter asked Ten Hag about it but he didn't know about it but wasn't very happy 😂

Personally I don't see an issue with the Fulham post. By all means all players acting like that should be mocked at every opportunity.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hold on, you didn't want them to apply the same punishment as they do in championship for one thing, but you want it for another?

Between this and his reaction to Caaragher, I don't think he quite as the head required for the club. And theyre not isolated. Every so often he has a bit of a petty moan about something, often something lighthearted and or valid criticism

I just found it odd, I imagine most other managers would brush the question off or make a joke out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Sorry you've lost me now.

My point (which might be getting muddied at this stage) is I don't believe 6 points for breaking the rules to be a massive deterrent.

Clubs who are looking at big rebuilds or who have just recently got new wealthy owners could look at 6 points and say it's low enough to be worth the gamble.

Clubs who don't have the financial power to make those losses and recover could look at 6 points and decide to take the risk.

The fear is this leads them down a road that the clubs may not ever be able to come back from. Ultimately putting some clubs at risk long term.

Or state run clubs can once again just come in and spend what they like on a football club. Which has massive knock-on effects on all clubs in the league. Leading to pressure to spend bigger and bigger to compete.

The rule and punishment needs to be harsh to put off as many clubs from going down this route as possible.

I am in favour of long term sustainability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

But are you not falling for the Everton excuse narrative? According to the report linked earlier , even if Everton had got the interest expense into the stadium company that would only have reduced interest costs in the main trading company by £2.2m, and they failed by £19.5m.

Sorry it was a poster you quoted who wanted the EPL to apply it's own rules and ignore the EFL rules.

The appeal looked at precedent and applied it here. I think they know that Everton would likely win their case if the precedent was ignored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,974 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why does the period have to be three years, why couldn't it be five or ten?

Everton aren't going to go into administration.

Pretty sure that's what was agreed to buy the clubs to manage the extra losses over COVID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

They're the rules they agreed to. That everyone did. It doesn't matter why it's 3 and not 5 or 1.

Everton were over the limits and accept they were over the limits.

And, the 105 limit is only their based on the owner underwriting significant losses. From a sustainablity point of view the first limit is 15 million. And they blew past that.

Everton spent more than they should have, and with that overspend comes a potential competitive advantage. You can say they squandered that, it doesn't matter. You can say other clubs spend more, it doesn't matter.

There is a set of rules the pl clubs voted to accept, and Everton were in breach of them and deserved punishment.

And, adding my own option.... It has to be a points punishment at least cause any fine would just be seen as the cost of doing business.

Everton a competitive advantage, how do you come up with that? 😂 The competitive advantage belongs to City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle.

Everton's net spend on transfers over the last five years is £38.3 million. The only clubs currently in the Premier league with a lower net spend are Luton and Brighton. The total for the three years involved in this is £48 million.

I believe the wage bill is a bit higher, 10th in the league on average over the three years as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

They were committed to a maximum of 105million in losses over 3 years. They spent more than that. And stayed up on the last day of last season. Clubs that did not breach the cap got relegated. If they had similarly breached the maximum cap by 15million, by buying a striker or something and stayed up that would have been fine?

Why are you so adamant that Everton should get the advantage of spending more than their means over 3 years? It's bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So your entire point is why should the rules that apply to everyone else apply to Everton aswell?

I understand these rules but I think they are ridiculous. If a club goes into administration then throw the book at them is my opinion on things.

They spent a lot of money but it didn't improve their team as the wage bill is pretty average and the net spend on transfers is very low.

They are not like the big clubs where they have massive cash coming in all the time. Just trying to avoid the drop is a struggle in many seasons for all clubs outside of the big ones.

They didn't spend the money on players or wages which is what most here are saying happened.

So tell me why a club that isn't near administration and didn't gain an unfair competitive advantage by spending should be given a ridiculous points deduction?

The overspending figure should only be a warning to help clubs avoid serious trouble. If they prove they can fix it then there shouldn't be any penalty, not even a fine. As I said, if it's uncontrollable and the club goes into administration or worse then penalise them heavily.

No, I'm talking about these rules as regards every club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

@eagle eye

"I understand these rules but I think they are ridiculous. If a club goes into administration then throw the book at them is my opinion on things."

By the time they enter administration the bulk of the damage is done. Preventative measures always work better in these situations. There's little point in throwing the book at an already sinking ship. We'll just end up losing more football clubs.

Make the ship less likely to sink!

"They spent a lot of money but it didn't improve their team as the wage bill is pretty average and the net spend on transfers is very low.

They are not like the big clubs where they have massive cash coming in all the time. Just trying to avoid the drop is a struggle in many seasons for all clubs outside of the big ones."

If a club is not like a big club with massive cash coming in all the time then it is an even worse decision by that club to put themselves in a situation where they are massively overstretched financially as it will be more difficult to recover. No?

"They didn't spend the money on players or wages which is what most here are saying happened.

So tell me why a club that isn't near administration and didn't gain an unfair competitive advantage by spending should be given a ridiculous points deduction?"

So none of their spending that has been looked at was on players or wages? I'm not on about what might have tipped them over the edge. They obviously spent money they didn't have on players. Whether that is 10m, 20m 30m etc.. doesn't matter. They didn't have it to spend.

3 teams played by the rules, stayed within the limits and ended up being relegated. That was Everton's competitive advantage.

Should Everton have had Onana, McNeil etc..?

"The overspending figure should only be a warning to help clubs avoid serious trouble. If they prove they can fix it then there shouldn't be any penalty, not even a fine. As I said, if it's uncontrollable and the club goes into administration or worse then penalise them heavily."

Again... at that stage the horse has bolted. The club could be in huge trouble. Saying Everton wouldn't have entered administration is hard to know for sure. If left unchecked and with no penalties do you think they would just stop overspending?

Everton are in this position because they did not run their football club correctly. That's the long and short of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

PSR prevents clubs going into administration but showing them when to get their s**t together before it's too late.

Maybe the La Liga model is better where they actually block transfers or new players from signing as the threshold will be exceeded but we've seen clubs sell themselves just to sign new shiny toys there.

Everton received a lot of money for players like Lukaku, Richarlison & Gordon. Some decent money for others such as Digne. They could have used this money to grow the club long term through smart recruitment and didn't. Instead they chased the names and wanted to sign players from Juventus, Barca & Napoli for short term notoriety. Those players were cast-offs but I'm sure they got the high wages to go with the other big names players like Rodriquez. Everton were a bottom half club for the main, but were trying to act like a club going for Europe and not budgeting properly.

This has been coming for a while. This has also prevented Everton going into administration as you know well that Everton are the type of club to take out a massive loan to try sign some €40m cast-off from PSG this summer rather than making a smart move for an up & coming player instead.

Clubs can prove they can fix it! haha! That sounds just like Leeds when they were spending the following seasons Champions League money, that never came.

No 12.30 KO again this week. I can understand the last week's game being moved because of the mid-week game (only applies to European games though, if a club plays domestically mid-week, they are still fair game to play at 12.30 KO). But this week, there is a game being televised in a different slot where both teams didn't play mid-week.

I can see why the 12.30 KO riles up so many managers when it is being used selectively, let alone the recovery time/travel issue with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

TNT which has the 12:30 slot can’t show a game every week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Why should that matter? GW32 currently has a game at 1230, it just isn't televised. They could have played one at 1230 today and not had it on UK TV.

That game is on TV according the the announcement of from the Premier League

Ah, It's not listed on the fantasy football page.

Regardless, they can play at 1230 and not show it on TV. There's no law against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The same reason why they bother to show games at other times when they aren't on TV - to get the game played and for the fans in the stadium. There's 6 games on right now, only one of them is on TV. Should the others not have been played?

We're continually hearing about certain games being moved to different time slots for public safety reasons, especially when it finishes in hours of darkness, it seems odd not to use the supposedly safer time slot just because it's not on TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

None of the games on now (3pm) are on TV.

That slot is reserved in British culture for matches that it's illegal to show on TV within Britain. That's the preferred slot for ALL games. Times should only be moved to accommodate TV times.

I think every club should play the 12.30 on Saturday and the Monday night game twice a season. Fairest way to do it and stop all the complaints.

And both slots should be between clubs who aren't at opposite ends of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

But 12:30 is an awful time for fans. So if it's not on TV then why would would you play at that time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭mobydopy

Play until Liverpool score. 8 mins added time and Nunez wins it 30 seconds after the 8 mins. Not good for City and Arsenal. Feels like everything is going right for Klopp at the moment.

Big moment that in the title race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

What happened with the ball when konate went down...did it go to Forest and they lost possession...they seem irate

Why did Liverpool get the ball after konate went down. Forrest had possession?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Told ye - it’s in the bag for Liverpool.

Why did Forest get the ball after their defender went down with a head injury 10 minutes prior? I guess thems the rules for this game. At least it's consistent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Same reason Forest got possession back from the ref 10 minutes earlier when their player went down with Liverpool in possession?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

The Forrest keeper was down for over 5 minutes, is that meant to be ignored??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Momentum wins the league at this stage. City aren’t the same force as last season. Liverpool won’t drop a point again until the title is won.

I assume its the way Tieney reffed it. He did the exact same against Liverpool just 10 minutes earlier after the Forrest defender went down with a head injury...has the rules been changed??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Here comes the defense force

Lads, it was a question. I thought the team in possession got the ball back. Sorry I asked a question that seemed negative against Liverpool.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

True or not that will be talked about as a seminal moment in the title race. Players starting to return for Liverpool too. How they handel the Thursday europe league, Sunday vs Man City will of course perhaps the real defining thing for them.

Big win for Spurs too as they were a goal down to Palace after 75m. Villa really need to beat Luton now before those two play next week also, which again will be after Villa have a Thursday game against Ajax.

• Advertisement

The title is 100% City's, but at least we are making them work for it.

Are you ignoring that 2 Forest players were booked in those 8 minutes for time wasting, it is a minimum of 8 minutes the ref can add on more time if there is more time wasting in injury time.

Oops, sorry.

Probably should have been given back to Forest, and if I was a City or Arsenal fan I'd be spitting bricks and saying there is some conspiracy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If you mean here comes posters answering a question, then fair enough.

Delighted with the win. 8 minutes injury time, extended by a couple of minutes - considering a couple of players got booked after the 90th minute for time wasting, it was nice to score after the 98th minute.

Nunez did very well with the finish, McAllister did very well also.

Don't think Kelleher actually had a shot to save - another clean sheet for him.

It keeps it interesting at the top.

There was 3 stoppages in the game for head injuries for defenders and in each occasion the ball was with the attacking team but the ref gave the ball to the defending team to restart them game.

Some poetic justice there for Forest fans after the boring banter chant of 's**t Andy Carroll'. I always find moments like that funnier than the actual chant themselves. Brentford suffered similar a couple weeks ago.

Edit: apparently no player has scored more match-winning goals than Nunez this season in the PL.

I was actually genuinely answering the question. Like for for it to happen twice in 10 minutes seems mad. The Forrest players first and then Konate...did the ref actually forget about the rules of the game? Or is it a rule?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Momentum is huge but Liverpool were seconds away from dropping 2 points today - to say they won't drop a point now sounds a bit ridiculous in fairness.

Considering they're playing City next weekend there's a good chance they will drop all 3!!!

Was that a scab win for Liverpool?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement