Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Ah those were deadly. With the yellow lids 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

"Which country's scheme did people say we copied?" i think it was either Germany or Africa, not sure which but definitely atleast one of those.

As for the rest of what you said, i feel ireland could learn a thing or two from how denmark have their deposit scheme going, especially in terms of having to manually accept things if machine is'nt working.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭beachhead

A website would never be up to date.Same as a battery charger website

The team janitor is gonna be making a mint! So in theory one could say it's like they're leaving behind a tip for him/her. lol

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭SteM

Up in aldi in belgard earlier with a bunch of bottles and cans that my neighbour gave me yesterday. Both machines working fine, all items went through first time and got a voucher for €2.55 back which I passed on to him. One other person was using them, they had their kid feeding bottles but it looked like everything was getting rejected. I asked them if they had paid a deposit on the bottles but they didn't seen to know for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Where's the "I'm finished. Print voucher now" button? I had a bag of 40 odd cans and came away with three receipts. I'm not that slow.

On the aldi one it's on screen, titled Payment Now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Would not be difficult to have a real time website. These machines are internet connected (I assume), and they know when they are out of order, you would only need to attach a status to the map on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,620 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Huh?! I don't agree.

So these machines aren't smart enough to transmit information to a central area via the Internet or a basic thing that acts like a data sim card, seems stupid are they reliant on the shop reporting when machine down or how full they are? It's not complex...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,620 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Exactly, they should know when they are out of order at the very least, I would also think it would make sense they know how full they are so they can plan when to empty them....but that might be far to sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

I heard the guy fixing the machines at lidl saying the light sensors/readers inside get prone to dirt and water from bottles if they are damp - and that makes them shutdown.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

The Dunnes I was at earlier had a store employee emptying the machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jj880

After washing out your containers 1 at a time hang them up with your washing or get the hair dryer out. After checking they are dry 1 at a time hump them to the nearest RVM (without damaging any of them) and IF the machine is working feed them into it 1 by 1. Then if you get your voucher head in store where you might be able to redeem it at a special till unless you're outside the alloted time for cashin in your voucher. Remember under 10 euro per voucher transaction only. 😆. Sure tis grand. Everyone has endless free time and patience for this shyite. You'd nearly think its intentional.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Their own docs state "Not for profit company, producer owned and led, industry interests represented". Only producers have to sign a contract, retailers just have an agreement.

Anyway, separately, have you seen a list of the board by any chance? I don't believe it's public and when asked they denied the request, despite being asked by a registered producer & retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

" there are a mix of producers and retailers in there"

Reads like a cosy cartel, a mix of producers and retailers run Return do they. Who's there to represent the most important component of this scheme - the ordinary citizens, consumers, those required to pay this tax and do all the work for them to sometimes be able to claim it back.

No wonder the thing is dysfunctional and not integrated into the bin system.

Scrap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

“Not for profit”

Means there is no money left after Salaries are paid. Some people are of course making money on this.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Well their articles of association are available from the CRO for a small fee if you want to confirm, I've downloaded them and this is what it says. The initial board makeup is also in there, and updates are available separately.

https://core.cro.ie/e-commerce/company/search/4853115

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

So, an entity set up up by the government by decree, and if we citizens and voters wish to find out about their board of directors and other information have to pay a fee????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Brought back my first bottle. Worked grand for me anyway. Got my 25cent voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I havent bought a can or bottle since this scheme came in....

Fùck them.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Passed a nice beauty spot today with drink cans thrown in the water. If the scrotes realise they are throwing 25cent in the water every time and dont do it. Its worth it. If they collect the cans and bring them back to get a few bob for drink it is a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is not the 1970s, the 'scrotes' as you call them have too much dosh now - a few cents is meaningless to them. And even if anyone suggested it, they'd be laughed out of it by the other 'scrotes'.

I regularly pick up bottles & cans off a stretch of roadside verge near my house. Can't see that changing.

And no, I couldn't be arsed to bring any of these to some machine. I just drop them in the bins that I pay for recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Unless they publicise it separately, I guess so. If you search LinkedIn most directors probably have it on their profiles.

If they're ignorant enough to throw the cans away in th first place they're not going to change for a few euro IMHO. Drunk people generally don't make sensible decisions.

Was in a local corner shop today talking to one of the workers about the RVM machine the store has (one of the well known "big franchise" corner stores that shell remain nameless for now) and seen him emptying the machine. i had no idea the stores actually have to empty the machines. I Had assumed that re-turn has to return to the store (all pun intended) and empty it themselves. Apparently return only come to collect the recyclable products after they've the machine has been emptied and has its contents brought into the back. There may also be a minimum amount of bales that will come out to collect (i think 3, i didn't really get a clear answer on this, he told me i would have to speak to the manager if i wanted a more clearer answer).

He wouldn't allow me to come with him into the back of the store unfortunately, but he was more than happy to answer most of my questions about the RVM. He would'nt allow me to touch the machine while he's emptying it either, but he did allow me to look inside it aslong as i kept my distance and didn't get too close.

It looked different than i had imagined, and also noticed a couple of differences when comparing it to the likes of other stores and supermarkets that have bigger sized RVM's. Firstly the conveyor belt is slower but wider, secondly the chute it goes down is shaped different, thirdly all items that the machine accepts go down the same hole, And Fourth this machine does not shred up or chop any of the cans or bottles. Instead it just merely flattens them.

When he was emptying the machine he pulled out what i can only describe as a metal box on wheels with no lid at the top. i'm unsure if the wheels were from inside the machine already attached onto the box, or if he lifted slid the box out like a drawer onto something with wheels.

Also in the small machine, the cans and bottles are mixed! in the likes of aldi however the machine seperates them and sends them down a different chute i've noticed. Based on this, would it be safe to assume all of the stores that have only 1 machine, has the cans and bottles mixed?

And before anyone asks: no i didn't fill the machine up, it was being emptied when i got there. But i did put about 150 or so cans and bottles in, in hopes of filling it up again and trolling the worker into coming back out to empty it again so i could have another look inside. Unfortunately it wasn't enough to fill the machine again XD

• I haven’t bought anything with a barcode to return. The very first time I saw somebody using an RVM was today in Aldi Nutgrove, as I exited. Didn’t get a close look but 3 items were rejected, the guy put them into adjacent recycle bin. Remarkable that this is my first sighting considering my frequent outings to shops, because I like to be out and about.

• I think they do have real time info, or at least in theory, but I’d say ReTurn couldn’t be arsed in fixing things in a timely fashion once they get their cut.

Why would it be up to re-turn to fix the machines though? Surely every shop/chain has a service contract with the machine supplier which is not re-turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Is there any official list of products that charge this extra fee?

• Advertisement

there's no official list of products so far, but its essentially any container with the return logo, and any container that has a barcode that says "eligible" after being typed into the barcode checker on the website, regardless of if it has a logo or not.

By june 1st its safe to assume all (or most) will have this extra deposit fee

edit: actually there is a list of eligable products/barcodes. i don't have the list someone else here may be able to provide it, but its in a pdf file and lists all the items. it was posted a few weeks back in the other recycling thread that is now locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement